• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So what do you guys think about this Vergil?

Frazz

General gamer
I like Vergil as some think he isn't as sinister but when he says that he and Dante should put their lives into each others hands I think he is being clever and manipulative while also being a little sinister! I also think that at the end he states he was just acting around Dante and is full on evil ;)

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
i like this Vergil because of the potential i see in him. u can tell he genuinely cares about Dante. and he honestly wants to defeats mundus for the greater good. but u can just almost see all the darkness in him. how at this point he could go either way from monster to hero. making his story all the more interesting

majeh116

Or certain people seeing him as mysterious because they see only what they want to see. DMC3 Vergil's goal and motive were painfully obvious. He started out with gaining power with good intentions, but then slipped to the dark side and only wanted power for himself. The protection thing was an "honor shield".

"I'm doing this but only for the greater good." Yeah, right. It's as if he really expected DMC3 Dante to believe that. But Dante himself said that Vergil wants to break the spell over the portal and turn everything into demonville. So, either Dante is wrong, or Vergil is lying to make himself look good. Or Vergil himself is just flat-out delusional. And I don't think Dante would be wrong about something like the entire cause of the game's (paper-thin) story.

The reason Dante didn't argue with Vergil is because he had an o-katana that went right through him at the time. It was like when Dante sliced Vergil (almost) in half, "Darth Maul-style". Vergil couldn't speak for a few seconds after that because, like Dante, he was too weak to do so.Vergil was pretty much a pez dispenser at that point.

BTW, how cool would it have been if Vergil split in two when falling down the waterfall? I mean, sure, he could inexplicably put himself back together, because Capcom. :/

I think Vergil in a really perverse way wanted to gain all the power to protect Dante since he failed to protect his mother. (Got the mother knowledge from his profile in UMVC) and thats why at the start is was showing dante "you aren't strong enough to protect yourself ether get stronger or stay out of my way so i can protect both of us." I feel that him gaining all this power is him redeeming himself in his own eyes though it will never be enough." Of course none of that in explicitly confirmed and is reading way to much into a barely developed character.

Azurel

I think Vergil in a really perverse way wanted to gain all the power to protect Dante since he failed to protect his mother. (Got the mother knowledge from his profile in UMVC) and thats why at the start is was showing dante "you aren't strong enough to protect yourself ether get stronger or stay out of my way so i can protect both of us." I feel that him gaining all this power is him redeeming himself in his own eyes though it will never be enough." Of course none of that in explicitly confirmed and is reading way to much into a barely developed character.

Thank you. A nicely developed theory without turning it into a "zomg it's pure fact and Vergil is perfect!!!1111!!!11!!!" post.

Yes. That ties into my theory that Vergil is simply convincing himself that what he's doing is right (as most villains do) and all of this "protection crap" is a convenient excuse Vergil tells himself to make himself feel better and continue to immerse himself within his delusions of grandeur.

Off Topic:

(slightly backhanded compliment--sorry)

I noticed that you've been using more punctuation in your recent posts. This is a great improvement over your previous entries, where they were mostly (in my humble opinion) incomprehensible run-on sentences.

I just want to say 'thanks', because I know understand what you're trying to say a little more clearly now. That, and your latest posts have been fantastic.

majeh116

So
Thank you. A nicely developed theory without turning it into a "zomg it's pure fact and Vergil is perfect!!!1111!!!11!!!" post.

Yes. That ties into my theory that Vergil is simply convincing himself that what he's doing is right (as most villains do) and all of this "protection crap" is a convenient excuse Vergil tells himself to make himself feel better and continue to immerse himself within his delusions of grandeur.

Off Topic:

(slightly backhanded compliment--sorry)

I noticed that you've been using more punctuation in your recent posts. This is a great improvement over your previous entries, where they were mostly (in my humble opinion) incomprehensible run-on sentences.

I just want to say 'thanks', because I know understand what you're trying to say a little more clearly now. That, and your latest posts have been fantastic.
Sorry about that I generally am taking notes at school when I'm on this forum so I don't generally check my grammar. I apologize for that.

Top Bottom