• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So I worked on DmC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Seriously. Most of us have it on council so mods, while great for your situation, don't do anything for us.

D0NN1E

Developer
Been a long time!!

Haven't had much time to visit the forum in a while. Let me try and answer some of your questions. :)

Are you able to explain a little bit more about how the dimensional Limbo affects the real world? We were told and we saw that the effects of what happens in Limbo are echoed in the human world to a degree, but any idea how that works?

We see the Hunter throw the ferris wheel off its hinges in Limbo and then it's also rolling down the pier in the human world too, and we see Dante burst out of the church window and the force causes the steeple to collapse, but how does this work?

How is it different from when Limbo morphs itself to impede Dante by closing off passages or breaking the floor apart? Did those impediments have unseen consequences in the human world or do those "echoed effects" require the hands of a person (like the Hunter or Dante) to cause an effect that echoes into the human world?

They are interconnected, parallel dimensions that depend on each other and cannot exist separately. That connection is the reason why there's a balance in the Universe. Unfortunately, in my opinion, that is never explained in the game. That balance is thrown off in DmC when the demons decide to take over that dimension. Why haven't the angels intervened, given that this would affect their dimension as well, it is not explained.

Yes, every time Limbo changes to attack Dante there's an effect in the real world.

Not really answering my question... Let me be a little bit more specific. Who's the voice that talks to Dante in Limbo?

Take the first platforming sequence in Under Watch. Did you guys ever think of adding in more platforming options to that as opposed to it being linear?

Limbo was always seen as a living organism, not just buildings and streets. I think part of the reason to give it a voice was so it had a bit more character to it.

Yes, there was the discussion of making platforming less linear, but it was largely ignored. That section in particular was extensively simplified and redone fairly late in the project because testers were constantly getting lost. I could get into details about that particular layout, but there is a bigger discussion to be had in terms of designers overreacting to testers not finding the correct path within seconds of entering an area. Many modern games are devoid of a real sense of exploration and discovery, in my opinion. :)

Hi! I just made an account because I couldn't pass up on the chance to ask an actual developer from the game some questions :) I'm a big fan of the DMC-games in general and I think overall DmC turned out great and that Vergil's downfall was an excellent piece of dlc! What I liked most about VD was that it felt closer to the original games and that you could tell that there was much thought and care put into the details, and how close the gameplay is to classic Vergil, like how Vergil sheathed his sword after a combo and that you could fire summoned swords during combos. I felt right at home with DmC-Vergil :D And most importantly I truly appreciated that the difficulty and challenge was raised in VD.

Alright, on to the questions:
In the concept arts for the mission regarding saving Kat and finding Vergil in The Order, there is pictures of operating tables with blood on them and x-ray scans of what looks to be humans in The Order headquarters and then in the mission after that in the cutscene before you go to Lilith's club you can see that there's blood on Vergils gloves (atleast, it seems to be blood) when he's by the computer. Is that suggesting that Vergil was experimenting on humans/demons? And if so, why? Just odd details I noticed that brought up some thought. Seems like a weird thing for him to do, if that's the case.

I was also wondering if Vergil had any combat experience prior to fighting Dante? I mean, you can tell that he knows what he's doing and that he's obviously trained himself, but, has he actually ever fought any demons prior to the showdown with Dante? Seeing as how Vergil was adopted and grew up wealthy and successfull, it seems like he was pretty wellhidden from demons and never had to fight them. But just like Dante he had rediscovered his roots in their family mansion, but did he also do it in Limbo like Dante? If he did do it in Limbo, shouldn't he have encountered some demons, then?

Thanks for your time, and I think it's great that you take time to come on a forum to answer fan-questions!

Thank you! I hope you're still around to read the answers. :)

In the original design, Mission 2 would have been The Order's laboratories and we would see the experiments with demons. There would also be a fight at the end of that mission with Vergil, and that's when you would realize he was your brother. That was scrapped and replaced with the family mansion. The gloves would represent Vergil's obsession with cleanliness and meticulousness.

Oh yes, Vergil had definitely fought demons before and he had already discovered his devil trigger, family history, etc. Not sure how that came to be!

Holy Beowulf, I mean, oh my god, I just can't believe I'm gonna ask to a guy who worked in the DmC reboot, ehem:
First, a bunch of nonsensical things:
1. I loved Vergil's Downfall, it felt so surreal, and it was pretty awesome imho
2. Nero Angelo really suits it.
3. At first, I was like EVERYONE else, about the whole "black hair" cr*p, and the haircut reminded me of the "wachiturros/cacos" how they're called in where I live
1261325861262_f.jpg
, but I started warming up little by little, and I ended up loving (and I no longer see him as a... "wachiturro") the whole design and everything (except the hair, I think it's kinda bad, but it's just me) .
4. Talexi's artwork is amazing, when I get the money (because I'm going to need a lot, because I live in Argentina and the whole importation thing is... well.... VERY difficult and expensive), I'm gonna buy the artbook.

Now, the questions:
1. Was Dante really necessary have short hair instead of long hair (bah, long, I have long hair, Original Dante has more of medium lenght hair)? Because, when I saw it at first I thought he looked really generic in my opinion.
Reminded me of this article: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActionGenreHeroGuy

2. Was really The Crow an inspiration for Neo Dante outfit? because of the sash I thought it was a 21th Century Prince of Persia.

3. What's your opinion on the musical department in both the original campaign and VD?
4. Off-topic:
Have you played Dark Souls? Do you know Berserk?

PD: I knew I wasn't the only one who was reminded of Soul Reaver.

Hi! Glad you liked VD! :D

1 - I see what you mean. It wasn't my decision, so I can only reflect on what happened. I know Capcom wanted to really change his looks and get as far from the old Dante as possible. Have you seen some of the early artwork for Dante? He had white hair, long, short, then became black, etc. Things kind went that way and once he was introduced to the public, there was no going back on that decision.

2 - I have no idea! You should ask Talexi. ;)

3 - Personally, I didn't like the music in the main game, apart from the more orchestral stuff done for the bosses and some of the pieces in the cutscenes. I think combichrist can be a bit juvenile, especially in their lyrics, so you cannot take their music seriously. VD's music is more nuanced, in my opinion, and more suited for Vergil's journey. The audio lead and I wanted something different for Vergil and what you hear is the result of that. Some people thought it was very generic. What did you think?

4 - I haven't played Dark Souls! At the moment I'm working from home, so I find it very difficult to turn on the console and play without letting it consume my entire life. :D

Ah. Before I forget, I do have one complain about Vergil's Downfall. I don't know why but you guys did not include an unlockable costume of Vergil looking normal as he does in the main game.

We didn't think about that because you never see him looking "normal" in the DLC. We were so focused on making his combat and the levels look as good as possible that there was no time for anything else.

Oh yeah, same for me;

You guys gave Dante the classic skin, so why not the same for Vergil?

Skins weren't a part of the DLC development plan. I had to fight to get the Vergil character changed for VD, as we had no scheduled time for character art. I wasn't perfectly happy with the way Vergil looked in VD, especially his hair, but there was no one available to change it further. DLC development is very, very limited. Small team and very little time. People have no idea. :)

So, now I've gotten interested in asking as well.
First things first: It's amazing you're taking your time to answer these questions! I frequently visited this thread to read your answers, and now I wanna ask myself.
Seeing that Vergil wanted to rule everything by himself (and with Dante maybe), how did he plan on doing this? Wouldn't that have been a bit hasty? He seems to be the person who would think everything through a hundred times until there's no possibility of failing left, so he sure had to have a plan on how to keep everything together. Everyone obeyed Mundus because of brainwashing and debts, but did Vergil plan on using equally unconventional ways?

Thank you! :) I'm happy to answer your questions.

Very good question! It all sounds a bit hasty, doesn't it? I think that's because Vergil gets very little development in the main game. It would've been great to look back on his actions and realize that he was planning to take over all along. Maybe taking those bosses out was a way for Vergil to get control over those facilities, etc. But we never see that and it is a shame. Would've been great to see The Order come in the drinks facilities after Dante defeats the succubus, for example. It would make Vergil look a lot smarter, wouldn't it? :)

I don't think Vergil would have a problem using unconventional ways, but I like to think that he would be different from Mundus.

Well damn, I was just thinking how I should visit the forum a bit. Hey D0nnie, I greatly appreciate your little Q&A here, just caught up with the thread.

Can't think of a question that wasn't already asked atm, just wanted to say being a DMC uber fan since day 1, I was very surprised by, and greatly enjoyed DmC ( still do, of course).

And Vergil's Downfall, damn, that's some nice job there. Almost no missing moves from his DMC 3 version, and I think he translated a bit better to the trigger combat system DmC used. Anyway, cheers !

Thank you for your comments! Always nice to hear positive things about VD. :D

Man, I really miss @D0NN1E

I saw him back on the forum like about a month ago, but I didn't want to bother him ('cause you guys know he's really busy) so, I didn't say anything. *sigh*

Well, you can say something this time! ;)

And I didn't even get the chance to ask him anythinggggg. :'(

You have another now. :)

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
I'd like to say it's an honor speaking with a DmC developer. The game and DLC were amazing! And I have a few questions of my own,

Okay here goes,

-Were there any other interesting missions that were scrapped due to difficulties? For example, you said we were supposed to fight Vergil in mission 2.

-Were any other boss fights scrapped? I wish there was a lot more of them in the game.

-In Vergil's Downfall you introduced 2 new enemies to us, the Imprisoner and the Wisp. They were creepy and I loved that because it reminded me of the horror feel of DMC1. Did you guys plan on making scarier enemies for the game and DLC? And if not, what led to making the Imprisoner and Wisp scarier?

-What role do the angels play? Are they hostile or would they side with Dante to fight the demons?

-In the end of Vergil's Downfall, does Vergil's transformation equal his transformation into Nelo Angelo in the original series?

-What led to the firearms being supernatural?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
How would you end DmC2?

I'm sorry, I know that's cheating, but I have to know. It's been gnawing at me since you showed the beginning of your story to us.

Oh, and watch. "The Strain" on FX. It's the best vampire show I've ever seen.

DMCGamer1989

I am deeply honoured to have the chance to talk to someone who developed a game I had tremendous amounts of fun with.

I have a few questions if you do not mind.

1) Is Vergil older or younger than Dante? In the classic canon he's older, but it might be different this time around, sorry if this is a stupid question.

2) In the plans for the sequel, were humans going to play a bigger role outside Kat? Since Dante and Vergil are Nephilim, I always thought they were super-human to the extreme, possessing the blood of both ultimate good and evil and the duality is what made them "human" to an extent.

3) Was Sparda going to have more of a presence? Like perhaps a reveal or something that showed that he was a very formidable force like in the classic canon?

4) Were more classic cameos and name drops planned earlier on? Like Phantom, Griffon etc.

5) Was Nero ever an option in the sequel?

6) What music would you have preferred for the game? Given that you weren't too keen on Combichrist, would you have gotten Jason Arnolds and Shawn "Shootie HG" McPherson from DMC3/DMC4?

7) On a more personal note, if given the chance to work on a new Castlevania or a classic DMC, would you?

D0NN1E

Developer
I'd like to say it's an honor speaking with a DmC developer. The game and DLC were amazing! And I have a few questions of my own,

Okay here goes,

-Were there any other interesting missions that were scrapped due to difficulties? For example, you said we were supposed to fight Vergil in mission 2.

-Were any other boss fights scrapped? I wish there was a lot more of them in the game.

-In Vergil's Downfall you introduced 2 new enemies to us, the Imprisoner and the Wisp. They were creepy and I loved that because it reminded me of the horror feel of DMC1. Did you guys plan on making scarier enemies for the game and DLC? And if not, what led to making the Imprisoner and Wisp scarier?

-What role do the angels play? Are they hostile or would they side with Dante to fight the demons?

-In the end of Vergil's Downfall, does Vergil's transformation equal his transformation into Nelo Angelo in the original series?

-What led to the firearms being supernatural?

Great to hear you liked it!! :)

In terms of missions, there was a mission after the trade that was scrapped You were meant to fight Lilith AFTER the trade with Kat. The trade would take place on a bridge and Lilith would escape by jumping down on a train. I prototyped a mission where Dante would chase her on a train moving through limbo (imagine the train sequence from Uncharted 2). Occasionally, Lilith would jump to buildings and attack Dante on the moving train.

I don't think we scrapped any bosses, but we simplified them, especially Mundus and Bob Bardas. Initially, you were meant to fight Mundus in both human and demon form.

We wanted Vergil's hell to be a little bit more scarier, maybe more surreal and grotesque. I think that's how the Wisp's look came to be. The imprisoner was an abandoned concept from the main game, but we changed it dramatically for the DLC.

I thought the angels would be on your side as long as you were on theirs. Eva betrayed her people, so it's not like all angels are fans of hers of Dante.

I thought Vergil's transformation in the DLC would be the equivalent of Nelo Angelo, yes. :) It was written with that in mind.

Are firearms supernatural?

How would you end DmC2?

I'm sorry, I know that's cheating, but I have to know. It's been gnawing at me since you showed the beginning of your story to us.

Oh, and watch. "The Strain" on FX. It's the best vampire show I've ever seen.

Ah, someone asks, at last! :D

At the end of my DmC 2 story, Dante feels guilty for what happened to Vergil (going to hell, becoming Nero Angelo, etc). Both Dante and Nero Angelo race to save the Angel dimension from collapsing into the other dimensions, but with very distinct goals in mind (Dante to save the world, and Nero Angelo to rule). After one last fight, they realize that the one who realigns the axis of the universe, employing Sparda's sword, will die in the process. Dante looks at Nero Angelo and says he's sorry for what happened in DmC, but Nero Angelo doesn't care. Dante takes the sword and sacrifices himself to save the universe. As the axis realigns and the dimensions separate, Vergil emerges from Nero Angelo and sees Dante. The brothers share a brief moment before Dante dies.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
*GASP*

DANTE DIES???

-------------------------------------------------

You sir, are a master of your craft. A true artist. You fly in the face of convention and decide to end the main series right then and there, on a high note.

That was great. I loved reading it. Thank you so much for answering my question, D0NN1E. I can finally put all my doubts to rest knowing what the True Ending would've been like.

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
Yes, THE RETURN!!! Good to see you back @D0NN1E !!!
Wanted to ask two quickies:
1. Earlier, you said that the original gameplay concept had a lean towards God of War. If its possible, would you mind explaining what those elements where?
2. I learned fairly quick in the industry that you can't make a game without a few dead darlings. So, with that in mind, what "Darling" did you wish wasn't cut? Was it a certain concept/level, event/boss, attack?

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
Force Edge challenges are best challenges.
I've always wondered how the Angelo transformation made Vergil so...BIG.
Gah, I'd never be able to do that. The last time I played DMC1 I had to cheese Nelo Angelo with Holy Water cuz he killed me three times.
Try cheesing Mundus with Holy Water and you won't get far. Holy Water was how I beat Angelo though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom