• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So I worked on DmC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
Truth is, after you fully upgrade Vergil he's a lot more powerful than Dante. His DPS is a lot higher than Dante because the amount of things you can fire and do concurrently is mind blowing. His doppelgänger (Devil Trigger) is also insane!

Glad you liked the environments for Vergil's Downfall, it was a huge shift in direction from the main game, so I appreciate not everyone is a fan of the changes.

Hollow Dante boss fight. :( Ugh, how I wish it was there, you have no idea! Imagine fighting Hollow Dante at the top of the statues! Ok, I'll stop.

I think a lot of people expect Vergil to be this perfect being, and that's what he tries to be because deep down he knows he's not perfect. I tried to root his motives in past experiences, especially his childhood. I know a lot of people go "oh great, now he has an inferiority complex". Truth is, this is very, very common between twins. I found out that often one of the twins feels inferior and truly believes - although it might not be true - that the mother prefers one of them. I also read that when a younger sibling has an inferiority complex, that makes that individual excel in many areas, surpassing the older sibling. I thought that was perfect for Vergil, because he has excelled in many ways and become far more educated than Dante. Also that justifies the need for him to try and be perfect all the time - because he knows he's not. But maybe you don't agree with that, it's ok. :)

Actually, I did already purchase all of the upgrades and I still feel like most of Dante's attacks feel more powerful in terms of the damage they do. I mean, look at that stomp. When he jumps in the air and slams his fists into the ground, injuring all the enemies in that area? That's powerful. Now, I'm not saying that Vergil's attacks aren't powerful- they absolutely are. They are just a big shift from Dante's, in my opinion, and when I first played VD, I really needed to adjust to that.

I LOVE the fact that Vergil at the end of DmC made some valid points. I don't know about an ulterior motive, but he's right when he's saying that humans need protection from each other and themselves. It's one of those things that makes me question my own morals - would I side with Vergil or would I side with Dante? Kind of like an inFamous thing, lately I've been thinking about that moment and how it'd be pretty cool if you could actually decide what to do in that moment.

And just out of curiosity- I know a lot of people who love Vergil but they say stuff like "oh, why do I have to fall in love with the villain again" and... well, I don't know about that. Would you consider Vergil a villain? I mean yeah, I understand that Vergil would be the main antagonist should a sequel happen...

(I'd absolutely LOVE to see more of Vergil's descend into madness, though. It'd be totally tragic but hey, I love it when video games toy with my emotions.)

Railazel

Haha, well I think it's one of those wouldn't it be nice to do that? I don't remember this very well, but there was a model for a young Dante at some point - he was in the reveal trailer too. I'm guessing people realised that ALL the animation work would have to be done twice because they wouldn't look right on the younger body.

I don't think any real DMC fan is going to give a crap about how any animation is going to look on a young Dante. He could do a sexually- suggestive move and we would only complain that it exists (some of us might just outright ignore it).

I think a lot of people expect Vergil to be this perfect being, and that's what he tries to be because deep down he knows he's not perfect. I tried to root his motives in past experiences, especially his childhood. I know a lot of people go "oh great, now he has an inferiority complex". Truth is, this is very, very common between twins. I found out that often one of the twins feels inferior and truly believes - although it might not be true - that the mother prefers one of them. I also read that when a younger sibling has an inferiority complex, that makes that individual excel in many areas, surpassing the older sibling. I thought that was perfect for Vergil, because he has excelled in many ways and become far more educated than Dante. Also that justifies the need for him to try and be perfect all the time - because he knows he's not. But maybe you don't agree with that, it's ok. :)

You want to know what's sad about this? Eva could have very well preferred Dante over Vergil. I remember my mom admitted to me that she has a higher love for me than my little sister. Is she wrong for it? No. I'm her firstborn. History has shown us that parents place most of their ideals, hopes, and dreams on their firstborn. They are stricter on their firstborn and invest more in them. I'm not sure if it works the same way with twins but I doubt Eva and Sparda could place all their hopes on both of their children. Maybe Vergil was physically weaker, so they figured Dante was better suited to succeed them? Or maybe they just figured that out of some form of foresight? I want to be positive and believe that Eva loved them both equally but, then again, parents are good liars.

Kaim Argonar

I'm quite fond of the art design in DmC. I often wonder what inspired the creation of limbo? It's just so abstract and often garish in its entirety that I often wonder how the the idea came to be when developing? If Limbo was an idea that came later, what kind of direction would NT have taken without it? With it still have been a mesh of urban meets supernatural?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
first off, i wanna thank you for having a hand in a game that i really enjoyed. so...thanks

1) how was the direction for the game determined? i saw concept art and watched interviews and just in my head, the directions the game seemed to be going in in the early stages seemed DRASTICALLY different (yet very similar) to the final product.

2) this has been on my mind forever. what was the story behind the DmC debut trailer? was the story basically the same? or very different because the character seemed different than what we got in the end.

3) how much collaboration with capcom was done in the development of DmC (if you're allowed to answer that)?

4) what was your favorite part of making DmC?

Domenic93

with the street art,
1: in universe who painted all the graffiti and how did they know details that would have been after eva is dead and sparda was captured and I'm sure there aren't any demon that would want to help sparda
2. how come mundus never found this place and had it painted over, since it does involves sparda and nephelim, it has been at least 11 years and mundus could see it from his office window.

with the wig scene I meant more because that's what the entire industry was using as a way to shrug off any critism hell to this day I still see people saying "you only hate the game because dante doesn't have white hair"
so after having the entire gaming media and anyone not informed enough bashing us with it even when we wheren't talking about the hair, (similar to people complaining about the mass effect 3 ending) it became a sensitive issue for people who didn't like the direction of the game, if it was in there was for forshadowing it could have been done in a way that wouldn't be seen as an underbreath insult. i'm just explaining why it's a sensitive topic.

with the hand thing what I meant just mean it was like a strange thing to change since Dante has always been primarily right handed and most people are right handed, was it that Tim Philips is left handed. I'm not saying he can't but it just seems strange like they changed it just for the sake of changing, like how they made Eva a redhead instead of a blonde. it's hard to properly explain.

and as for the
rebellion and red queen there are some similarities
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130418150224/devilmaycry/images/b/bd/Weapons_CA_06_DmC.png
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080424220109/devilmaycry/images/f/fe/RedQueen.jpg

was Tim Philips drunk while recording most of his dialogue? he seems to slur most of his lines throughout the story.

was it always planed to make the twins nephilim or was that a result of backlash at the possibility of this being a cannon?

if sparda was trying to hide dante why did he put him in an orphanage that was run by a demons? let alone one that eats children (a lamia( it's in the name of the orphanage "Saint Lamia's ophanage").

was there going to be anything more about "the order" or were they always just a throw away organization that brought nothing to the story(other than kat)?

what was the deal with that one kid in the order mask in the group photo with vergil in the foreground. was that just concept art or was he going to be nero or something?

how involved was andy circus with the script? since ninja theory has always gotten outside help for the script, and scraped everything but the most basic character information, and I remember that mr circus was in a supervising position or something like that in development. because it really shows that it's tameem's first time having full control of the story(not in the good way).

is they any reason all the bosses(most of the bosses) are stationary type bosses?

and thanks for answering my questions, sorry if I come of as dickish or to nitpicky, I'm not trying to be

D0NN1E

Developer
Actually, I did already purchase all of the upgrades and I still feel like most of Dante's attacks feel more powerful in terms of the damage they do. I mean, look at that stomp. When he jumps in the air and slams his fists into the ground, injuring all the enemies in that area? That's powerful. Now, I'm not saying that Vergil's attacks aren't powerful- they absolutely are. They are just a big shift from Dante's, in my opinion, and when I first played VD, I really needed to adjust to that.

I LOVE the fact that Vergil at the end of DmC made some valid points. I don't know about an ulterior motive, but he's right when he's saying that humans need protection from each other and themselves. It's one of those things that makes me question my own morals - would I side with Vergil or would I side with Dante? Kind of like an inFamous thing, lately I've been thinking about that moment and how it'd be pretty cool if you could actually decide what to do in that moment.

And just out of curiosity- I know a lot of people who love Vergil but they say stuff like "oh, why do I have to fall in love with the villain again" and... well, I don't know about that. Would you consider Vergil a villain? I mean yeah, I understand that Vergil would be the main antagonist should a sequel happen...

(I'd absolutely LOVE to see more of Vergil's descend into madness, though. It'd be totally tragic but hey, I love it when video games toy with my emotions.)

Oh, I see what you mean. One single attack from Dante is more powerful than a similar attack from Vergil. That's true, it's just that Vergil can do a lot more attacks simultaneously. Not only does he have a doppelgänger that repeats every attack (if you like), he can also fire swords at the same time, turn on the spiral swords, all this while doing your normal attacks.

I don't think Vergil is a villain. He just wants different things and he has reasons to want these things. That makes him far more interesting than someone who just wants to be evil for the sake of it.

I don't think any real DMC fan is going to give a crap about how any animation is going to look on a young Dante. He could do a sexually- suggestive move and we would only complain that it exists (some of us might just outright ignore it).

You want to know what's sad about this? Eva could have very well preferred Dante over Vergil. I remember my mom admitted to me that she has a higher love for me than my little sister. Is she wrong for it? No. I'm her firstborn. History has shown us that parents place most of their ideals, hopes, and dreams on their firstborn. They are stricter on their firstborn and invest more in them. I'm not sure if it works the same way with twins but I doubt Eva and Sparda could place all their hopes on both of their children. Maybe Vergil was physically weaker, so they figured Dante was better suited to succeed them? Or maybe they just figured that out of some form of foresight? I want to be positive and believe that Eva loved them both equally but, then again, parents are good liars.

It's not that simple, it has some mechanical implications to. Let's think this through... a kid's body VS a man's body. The kid has shorter limbs, therefore less range of attack with the same weapon. Movement speed will also be slower on the kid, so walking and running will be slower. At the end of the day there are many implications as to why it would require a lot of work for it to be consistent with the adult version. It's not as simple as it sounds.

I don't really believe Vergil is weaker, physically. It's all in his mind, which is the point in Vergil's Downfall. After overcoming all his insecurities, Vergil is far more powerful than Dante, no question about that.

I'm quite fond of the art design in DmC. I often wonder what inspired the creation of limbo? It's just so abstract and often garish in its entirety that I often wonder how the the idea came to be when developing? If Limbo was an idea that came later, what kind of direction would NT have taken without it? With it still have been a mesh of urban meets supernatural?

The idea was to create dynamic environments and have the city be a character in itself, responding to Dante's actions. After we figured out how the city would break and create obstacles for Dante we thought about the black blood and tentacles behind the cracks, etc. In a way, Limbo is like a living organism, spawning demons to deal with the threats. I'm sure the art director could tell you a lot more about the look of the city itself, which is fairly European in design, with narrow streets, etc.

first off, i wanna thank you for having a hand in a game that i really enjoyed. so...thanks

1) how was the direction for the game determined? i saw concept art and watched interviews and just in my head, the directions the game seemed to be going in in the early stages seemed DRASTICALLY different (yet very similar) to the final product.

2) this has been on my mind forever. what was the story behind the DmC debut trailer? was the story basically the same? or very different because the character seemed different than what we got in the end.

3) how much collaboration with capcom was done in the development of DmC (if you're allowed to answer that)?

4) what was your favorite part of making DmC?

Glad you enjoyed the game!! :)

Yes, the game changed a fair bit. I don't think people realize this but the Lead Designer and the Lead Artist on the project left shortly after that announcement trailer. Not meant to blame them or anything, but new people came in with a slightly different take on the game and that changed a few things, which I think is natural. I also think it's part of the process of developing a game, things change a lot from early concepts to final product.

Mechanically, the original concept looked a bit more like a cross between God of War and the old DMCs, Dante was slightly more dynamic in combat (he could run while shooting) but the combat strategy of previous games wasn't there. That changed and things started resembling the classic games a lot more, giving the players more options to strategise during combat but also a few restrictions so those choices would be clearer for the player.

Visually, the original concepts were a lot more grotesque and obscure than what we got in the final version. Things were a lot darker, desaturated, etc. I think this was reflected in Dante as well, as he was quite dark and brooding. Then after the changes, things became more brighter and colourful and Dante became a bit more clean and handsome, lol!

DmC debut trailer... from my understanding, the voice you hear in the trailer asking "what is your name?" was a demon disguised as a doctor in a treatment facility. In the game it's explained that his memory was wiped by Sparda to protect his identity, so Dante wouldn't remember his name. These demons knew he was different because he had powers and could see demons, that's why they locked him up. The flashes as a grownup Dante show that he has escaped the facility and remembers his name (by the end of the trailer).

How much collaboration? I would say a fair bit... they trusted the story (cutscenes) and setting (levels) to the team but were a lot more hands on with the combat and Dante, making sure he looked right. They were never like "do this" and "do that", they were very respectful and would come in and try to understand why we did things the way we did and say stuff like "did you try this?", "what if you do this?". Whenever they suggested something, they would explain the reason behind it, and that's why I liked working with them so much. It was definitely a great learning process for everyone on the team.

Favourite part was working with Itsuno-san, the director of previous DMCs. :) Meeting him was an honour and working with him even better!!

with the street art,
1: in universe who painted all the graffiti and how did they know details that would have been after eva is dead and sparda was captured and I'm sure there aren't any demon that would want to help sparda
2. how come mundus never found this place and had it painted over, since it does involves sparda and nephelim, it has been at least 11 years and mundus could see it from his office window.

with the wig scene I meant more because that's what the entire industry was using as a way to shrug off any critism hell to this day I still see people saying "you only hate the game because dante doesn't have white hair"
so after having the entire gaming media and anyone not informed enough bashing us with it even when we wheren't talking about the hair, (similar to people complaining about the mass effect 3 ending) it became a sensitive issue for people who didn't like the direction of the game, if it was in there was for forshadowing it could have been done in a way that wouldn't be seen as an underbreath insult. i'm just explaining why it's a sensitive topic.

with the hand thing what I meant just mean it was like a strange thing to change since Dante has always been primarily right handed and most people are right handed, was it that Tim Philips is left handed. I'm not saying he can't but it just seems strange like they changed it just for the sake of changing, like how they made Eva a redhead instead of a blonde. it's hard to properly explain.

and as for the
rebellion and red queen there are some similarities
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130418150224/devilmaycry/images/b/bd/Weapons_CA_06_DmC.png
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080424220109/devilmaycry/images/f/fe/RedQueen.jpg

was Tim Philips drunk while recording most of his dialogue? he seems to slur most of his lines throughout the story.

was it always planed to make the twins nephilim or was that a result of backlash at the possibility of this being a cannon?

if sparda was trying to hide dante why did he put him in an orphanage that was run by a demons? let alone one that eats children (a lamia( it's in the name of the orphanage "Saint Lamia's ophanage").

was there going to be anything more about "the order" or were they always just a throw away organization that brought nothing to the story(other than kat)?

what was the deal with that one kid in the order mask in the group photo with vergil in the foreground. was that just concept art or was he going to be nero or something?

how involved was andy circus with the script? since ninja theory has always gotten outside help for the script, and scraped everything but the most basic character information, and I remember that mr circus was in a supervising position or something like that in development. because it really shows that it's tameem's first time having full control of the story(not in the good way).

is they any reason all the bosses(most of the bosses) are stationary type bosses?

and thanks for answering my questions, sorry if I come of as dickish or to nitpicky, I'm not trying to be

I see your point! I don't think anyone thought about that. It was just a cool way to tell the story, I guess? I have no clue, but I don't think you can explain it like that.

To be clear, the wig scene didn't make sense to me. It's not even foreshadowing the stuff later in the game, because if you wanted to do that then maybe Dante would notice the patch on his hair instead. The wig just didn't have any purpose other than to be a joke. It doesn't move the story forward and is not necessary.

Now, the press using the white hair as an excuse for people not liking the game... can you blame them? When the first trailer came out all you could read was "his hair is black, this game sucks". I guess that first reaction stuck around, which to be fair, was not justified. People hadn't seen gameplay and they were destroying this game because the main character had black hair. I'm not saying everyone had that opinion, but fans who had genuine concerns were ignored because the majority was hung up on the hair. But, if it matters, there were people on the team listening to your genuine concerns and tried to address them. I was one of them!

In DmC Dante uses BOTH hands to draw Rebellion and do attacks. He's not left handed nor is he right handed. I don't know if Tim is left handed, we didn't use him for Dante's animations, just cutscenes. All combat animations were keyframed from scratch and Dante could do a lot more without being restricted to one hand. I guess that was the reason to change it.

I can seem the similarities, but Rebellion was not based on the Red Queen.

Was Tim drunk? He's a professional actor and he wouldn't be getting the work he gets if he showed up drunk on set.

Twins were always nephilim from the start.

I'm guessing not even Sparda knew the extent of the demonic influence over the real world? I always thought he was pretty much retired, living a quiet life with his family before they were found out?

I guess the order gives Vergil a sense of purpose and leadership, showing he has built up an organisation to fight the demons, while Dante stood pretty much alone and didn't achieve much while growing up. Of course, Kat is also part of this organisation, and she is key to Dante's character development.

I think that was just concept art.

Andy was not part of this game, Alex Garland was. Well, who wouldn't want to have Alex's opinion when writing something? I would! I met him briefly and knew instantly how talented he was. He's written a lot of stuff and knows what he's talking about!

I think it's 50/50 stationary and roaming bosses. The stationary bosses (Poison, Bob and Mundus) are bigger in scale and it wouldn't make sense to have them move around (same with Cerberus in DMC3 or the Saviour in DMC4). All the others move around freely, like the Hunter, the Mundus' Spawn and Vergil.

You're a bit dickish, to be honest! Nah, just joking! :) Happy to answer your questions.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
To be clear, the wig scene didn't make sense to me. It's not even foreshadowing the stuff later in the game, because if you wanted to do that then maybe Dante would notice the patch on his hair instead. The wig just didn't have any purpose other than to be a joke. It doesn't move the story forward and is not necessary.

I had always seen the wig scene in two ways. 1) it was of course to make light of a situation where people saw the TGS trailer, complained about his hair, and then didn't listen to NT when they said "there's a reason for it" nor pay attention to the white patch even back then. 2) it was a joke about Dante's character growth, since at the beginning of the game, Dante is a selfish hedonist, and the white hair wig represented the classic Dante, the one that was heroic and selfless. For Dante to say that he would never change "in a million years" to become something like that, and then by the end of the game he not only has white hair, but declares himself the protector of humanity, all like the classic. Like a joke with a punchline that doesn't come until the last scene.

Railazel

It's not that simple, it has some mechanical implications to. Let's think this through... a kid's body VS a man's body. The kid has shorter limbs, therefore less range of attack with the same weapon. Movement speed will also be slower on the kid, so walking and running will be slower. At the end of the day there are many implications as to why it would require a lot of work for it to be consistent with the adult version. It's not as simple as it sounds.

Oh, all that goes without saying. I'm just saying that regardless of how bad or good a job you guys would've done, a good amount of us probably wouldn't have cared about. We would just be happy playing as a young Dante because Dante's childhood gets very little to absolutely no mention in the games. The only two games in the franchise that mention Dante's childhood is DMC 1 and DmC.

I don't really believe Vergil is weaker, physically. It's all in his mind, which is the point in Vergil's Downfall. After overcoming all his insecurities, Vergil is far more powerful than Dante, no question about that.

I'm not saying that he was weaker in the game. I'm trying to give reasons for why it is possible that his parents might have favored Dante over him. I, for one, looked at his Downfall and compared it to the final fight between him and Dante. I could only think to myself how drastically different he was from when he fought Dante.

I don't think Vergil is a villain. He just wants different things and he has reasons to want these things.

I never really understood why most of the fans stuck Vergil with the "villain" bill. He was no more a villain in DmC than he was in DMC 3.

The idea was to create dynamic environments and have the city be a character in itself, responding to Dante's actions. After we figured out how the city would break and create obstacles for Dante we thought about the black blood and tentacles behind the cracks, etc. In a way, Limbo is like a living organism, spawning demons to deal with the threats.

So... wait, is it Limbo or is it Malice? Or are they the same thing?

Yes, the game changed a fair bit. I don't think people realize this but the Lead Designer and the Lead Artist on the project left shortly after that announcement trailer. Not meant to blame them or anything, but new people came in with a slightly different take on the game and that changed a few things, which I think is natural. I also think it's part of the process of developing a game, things change a lot from early concepts to final product.

Ah, that explains a lot! So, can I blame the lack of car- throwing on those guys' leaving?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

They often use a body and white blood cells to reference Limbo and such - Limbo is the world (body), and Malice is what makes up things in that world (cells). That's why most of the demons we hit in DmC bleed that black inky substance, they're formed from Malice.

Railazel

They often use a body and white blood cells to reference Limbo and such - Limbo is the world (body), and Malice is what makes up things in that world (cells). That's why most of the demons we hit in DmC bleed that black inky substance, they're formed from Malice.

Oh! Well that makes sense.

Domenic93

was anyone worried that ninja theory might be sued by Matt Groening over poison? what with the similarity of poison and the slurm queen and their purpose in their respective story.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@D0NN1E

Look, sorry to keep bothering you about the weapons, but I'm trying to get all the answers I can while you're still here.

Did you ever consider equipping Vergil with a broadsword? Is his "Sword Illusion" ("Summoned Swords") a projection of DmC's version of the Force Edge sword?

And if not, would Force Edge itself ever make it into the series?

Have you thought about having Vergil swing the Yamato with two hands during gameplay?

Also, I have no problem with the "amount" of moves in Downfall. It's more or less the same amount in DMC3, only with fewer melee weapons.

This vid is only posted up here to serve as proof of that (to any lingering doubters, I mean). I'm not asking you to watch it or anything.

However, if you ever have time to do so (because I can only imagine how busy you must be), I would like you to watch the two vids below, if at all possible. This is just to show you how far DmC can be pushed when in the hands of a true expert -- and a really well done DS vid, as well.

SamD can spin the camera WHILE Jump Canceling. Truly a revolution in gameplay. No other game in this series can do that.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'll ask this before someone else does: "Why wasn't Vergil's Yamato longer?"

*sigh* It had to be done.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Is Vergil older than Dante (I mean, was he the first twin born or the second?)?

Side note: DMC3 Vergil reminds me of a certain OTHER egocentric, older brother... (circa 2000)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
Holy smoke, we've been graced by a developer! It's always a pleasure, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and for shedding some light behind DmC's development.

I understand that you didn't jump in development at the beginning, but did you ever see the orignal design for new Dante (The one that was claimed to be very close to the "Classic Dante" design) and if it was ever released to the public?
View attachment 1071
This is the closest I could ever find. Am I near the "ball-park"?

Did the concept of "Young Dante" get far enough to be prototyped or developed enough to have a clear idea on how he played? If so, where there any gameplay difference between Young and Late-Teen Dante?

Was "Lock-On" ever considered to be in the game, and do you know the reason for its absence?

DmC made some steps to be more accessible to different gamers, but where there any gameplay choices (Such as more lenient executions in Just Charges and Jump Cancels) that where made due to the game running at 30FPS?

Did the initial reaction from the reveal trailer cause any reconsideration in Dante's design? (Such as having new Dante stop smoking) Or where the changes to new Dante's planned beforehand?

For the most part, DmC had a fairly universal command list (Standard Combo, Delay Combo, Charge Move, Launcher, Forward+Forward Move, ETC.) for all the melee weapons. Was there ever a point to adding more moves to weapons? (Such as giving Rebellion Round Trip and Prop/Shredder?) And was there a certain move that you wanted that was cut?

Back in the first gameplay trailers (At E3 2011) there was a certain dash (Or I assume "Forward+Forward") attack using Rebellion that looked similar the tail-end of Osiris's "Streak" attack. Was this attack replaced with "Stinger" because it acted similar to "Streak"?
View attachment 1068
View attachment 1070

Speaking of the E3 2011 trailers, I noticed that Dante activated Devil Trigger by planting his sword in the ground, just like Vergil. Was this a early form of DT activation, or just made for the trailer?

OK, hypothetical time!!! DmC has finished devlopment, and Capcom is giving you a year to create a "Special Edition" for next gen consoles. What do you try to add?

Haha! I think my question would be, do you think Vergil was done well in the DLC, despite the cutscenes being poorly drawn, etc, do you think the character developed well from where it was? Would like to know what you thought.

I loved the DLC!!! Like Dante, Vergil was a blast to play. While I had some gripes with the story/character development, I understand that a good chunk of it came as a result from time/budget constraints. I also didn't mind the drawn cut scenes, I thought at times they were rather effective in portraying Vergil's "Personal Hell" and would have loved to see how they would have turned out with more time and money put behind it.
View attachment 1069

Last edited:

D0NN1E

Developer
I had always seen the wig scene in two ways. 1) it was of course to make light of a situation where people saw the TGS trailer, complained about his hair, and then didn't listen to NT when they said "there's a reason for it" nor pay attention to the white patch even back then. 2) it was a joke about Dante's character growth, since at the beginning of the game, Dante is a selfish hedonist, and the white hair wig represented the classic Dante, the one that was heroic and selfless. For Dante to say that he would never change "in a million years" to become something like that, and then by the end of the game he not only has white hair, but declares himself the protector of humanity, all like the classic. Like a joke with a punchline that doesn't come until the last scene.

I respect your interpretation, but that scene had nothing to do with character development or foreshadowing. :) I'll leave it at that.

Oh, all that goes without saying. I'm just saying that regardless of how bad or good a job you guys would've done, a good amount of us probably wouldn't have cared about. We would just be happy playing as a young Dante because Dante's childhood gets very little to absolutely no mention in the games. The only two games in the franchise that mention Dante's childhood is DMC 1 and DmC.

I'm not saying that he was weaker in the game. I'm trying to give reasons for why it is possible that his parents might have favored Dante over him. I, for one, looked at his Downfall and compared it to the final fight between him and Dante. I could only think to myself how drastically different he was from when he fought Dante.

I never really understood why most of the fans stuck Vergil with the "villain" bill. He was no more a villain in DmC than he was in DMC 3.

Ah, that explains a lot! So, can I blame the lack of car- throwing on those guys' leaving?

I get what you're saying, but the reality of it is that you either polish something enough that it's shippable quality, or you simply drop it from the game.

Cool, I was just adding a comment about Vergil, not exactly disagreeing with you. :)

Limbo is... the demon city that mirrors the one in the real world. Malice is the black stuff that breaks through walls and environments.

Throwing cars just didn't work. It looked very cheap and cumbersome. It had to go, I must say.

was anyone worried that ninja theory might be sued by Matt Groening over poison? what with the similarity of poison and the slurm queen and their purpose in their respective story.

Haha, no I don't think so. I think that was a massive coincidence. I had never seen that Futurama episode until someone posted on a forum.

@D0NN1E

Look, sorry to keep bothering you about the weapons, but I'm trying to get all the answers I can while you're still here.

Did you ever consider equipping Vergil with a broadsword? Is his "Sword Illusion" ("Summoned Swords") a projection of DmC's version of the Force Edge sword?

And if not, would Force Edge itself ever make it into the series?

Have you thought about having Vergil swing the Yamato with two hands during gameplay?

Also, I have no problem with the "amount" of moves in Downfall. It's more or less the same amount in DMC3, only with fewer melee weapons.

This vid is only posted up here to serve as proof of that (to any lingering doubters, I mean). I'm not asking you to watch it or anything.

However, if you ever have time to do so (because I can only imagine how busy you must be), I would like you to watch the two vids below, if at all possible. This is just to show you how far DmC can be pushed when in the hands of a true expert -- and a really well done DS vid, as well.

SamD can spin the camera WHILE Jump Canceling. Truly a revolution in gameplay. No other game in this series can do that.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'll ask this before someone else does: "Why wasn't Vergil's Yamato longer?"

*sigh* It had to be done.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Is Vergil older than Dante (I mean, was he the first twin born or the second?)?

Side note: DMC3 Vergil reminds me of a certain OTHER egocentric, older brother... (circa 2000)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Of course Force Edge would have to be part of the series at some point. :) One abandoned idea I liked for VD was Vergil going to the depths of hell to recover Force Edge and use it to escape hell. That idea was discarded because we couldn't use Sparda in any way.

Never thought of Vergil using both hands to swing Yamato. Why do you ask?

I saw the DMC3 DmC Vergil comparison before. :)

I know SamD's videos, in fact I subscribed his youtube channel a while ago. He sent me a youtube message four months ago but only saw it two weeks ago. Can anyone direct him towards this thread? He had a bunch of questions for me. He's a wicked player and he's pushed the game in ways I didn't think was possible!

I don't know about Yamato length, we inherited it from the main game so we kept it the same. :)

Holy smoke, we've been graced by a developer! It's always a pleasure, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and for shedding some light behind DmC's development.

I understand that you didn't jump in development at the beginning, but did you ever see the orignal design for new Dante (The one that was claimed to be very close to the "Classic Dante" design) and if it was ever released to the public?
View attachment 1071
This is the closest I could ever find. Am I near the "ball-park"?

Did the concept of "Young Dante" get far enough to be prototyped or developed enough to have a clear idea on how he played? If so, where there any gameplay difference between Young and Late-Teen Dante?

Was "Lock-On" ever considered to be in the game, and do you know the reason for its absence?

DmC made some steps to be more accessible to different gamers, but where there any gameplay choices (Such as more lenient executions in Just Charges and Jump Cancels) that where made due to the game running at 30FPS?

Did the initial reaction from the reveal trailer cause any reconsideration in Dante's design? (Such as having new Dante stop smoking) Or where the changes to new Dante's planned beforehand?

For the most part, DmC had a fairly universal command list (Standard Combo, Delay Combo, Charge Move, Launcher, Forward+Forward Move, ETC.) for all the melee weapons. Was there ever a point to adding more moves to weapons? (Such as giving Rebellion Round Trip and Prop/Shredder?) And was there a certain move that you wanted that was cut?

Back in the first gameplay trailers (At E3 2011) there was a certain dash (Or I assume "Forward+Forward") attack using Rebellion that looked similar the tail-end of Osiris's "Streak" attack. Was this attack replaced with "Stinger" because it acted similar to "Streak"?
View attachment 1068
View attachment 1070

Speaking of the E3 2011 trailers, I noticed that Dante activated Devil Trigger by planting his sword in the ground, just like Vergil. Was this a early form of DT activation, or just made for the trailer?

OK, hypothetical time!!! DmC has finished devlopment, and Capcom is giving you a year to create a "Special Edition" for next gen consoles. What do you try to add?

I loved the DLC!!! Like Dante, Vergil was a blast to play. While I had some gripes with the story/character development, I understand that a good chunk of it came as a result from time/budget constraints. I also didn't mind the drawn cut scenes, I thought at times they were rather effective in portraying Vergil's "Personal Hell" and would have loved to see how they would have turned out with more time and money put behind it.
View attachment 1069

It's a pleasure talking to you too. :)

No, that's not the closest. There were a few concepts much closer to classic Dante, that's how it started out.

Young Dante was never prototyped.

Lock-On was roughly prototyped at some stage and abandoned for good. The direction of the project was a modern interpretation of the classic DMC combat experience and for that reason the semi auto lock-on was chosen instead.

To be clear, I wasn't part of the combat development, but I think there were some concessions due to frame rate. I mean, there's half the frame rate than previous games! :) I remember designing boss attacks and having to slow down animations because some frames would miss Dante entirely (would've been fine with double the frame rate).

Yes, there were some considerations and along with that the Lead Artist also departed the team. Dante was cleaned up after that.

As I said, I wasn't part of the combat design, so I can't really answer that question.

I think the dash was moved to Osiris (I don't think it existed in both versions before) and the stinger was added to Rebellion.

It was indeed an early form of activating DT. As you can imagine it didn't work very well when Dante was in the air. :)

A year to create a special edition?! Wow, that's a lot! :D Off the top of my head, in no particular order:
- 60 fps;
- remove coloured enemies;
- include Vergil's Downfall;
- add at least 5 more attacks to each boss, one or two of them dedicated to harder difficulty modes;
- add more evasion tactics to bosses, especially on higher difficulties (for example, allow the Hunter to teleport closer/away from Dante);
- add a new, hardcore difficulty mode;
- add new attacks to standard enemies;
- develop two or three new enemies (totally unique, not based on an existing class);
- add turbo mode;
- make Vergil playable in the main game;
- polish Vergil's Downfall cinematics or do them all in game (like the start of Chapter 2, when Kat runs away from the Imprisoner);
- there is more... surely, but these are the ones I can think of right now.

Thanks! Some of the cinematic shots actually look really nice, but some were just the bare minimum (read shippable to unfinished) quality. That shot of Vergil in the dark is actually one of my favourites. ;)

Railazel

I get what you're saying, but the reality of it is that you either polish something enough that it's shippable quality, or you simply drop it from the game.

That's true, no point in asking for something if you guys don't feel comfortable shipping it.

Cool, I was just adding a comment about Vergil, not exactly disagreeing with you. :)

Oh, I see.

Limbo is... the demon city that mirrors the one in the real world. Malice is the black stuff that breaks through walls and environments.

TxA answered that part but I still have a question. Is it Malice that makes Limbo? Or is Limbo a living creature by itself?

Throwing cars just didn't work. It looked very cheap and cumbersome. It had to go, I must say.

Well... that sucks.

Oh! I have another question regarding Limbo. Did you guys ever consider a more creative form of platforming where the player didn't have to take a single route but could make his own using Ophion and Angel Glide?

berto

I Saw the Devil
How 'bout some more personal questions.

What kinda games do you play?
So, what got you into video game design?
If you could have your choice what company would you work for?
Did you enjoy working on DmC and Enslaved?
Do the people at NT also have their desks covered in comic book and anime figurines? Yours?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Never seen that before! It's wicked how certain players can push LoK that far. I must say there are things in that video I didn't think were possible. Was that you playing?
No, sorry. I am thoroughly ashamed to say that I'm more or less pretty bad at games.

Oh sure, I can play DMC3 on DMD Turbo Mode without using any items except for Yellow Orbs (I never use the Gold system) --

-- however, I can't do the constant "Jump Cancel" tricks without switching the jump button to L2/Left Trigger, and even then, it's a bit of a challenge for me.

The best way to contact SamD would be through the PM system. I'll PM him right now and tell him you want to talk... it's just too bad that I can't contact him any other way.

I'm glad you considered introducing Force Edge into the series. That would be a very fascinating story development to watch.

I asked about Vergil holding Yamato with two hands because he does it constantly in the DMC3 cutscenes. He switches from one hand to two in a heartbeat with Dante, but never with any other enemy. The reason I was asking is because I wanted to see him do it in-game.

Also, I think that there should be a "tradeoff" of Dante being half-Angel, half-demon... the tradeoff being that Dante can't be as strong as either a "full-blooded" demon or a "full-blooded" Angel.

I mean, Nephilim can travel between worlds easily (and go anywhere within the three dimensions, I think, while demons and Angels cannot), but he still has to pay for that kind of "power" in some way, shape, or form.

Also, what's with Rebellion being a "human" weapon? Does this mean that Yamato was a human weapon as well (before Vergil completely turned to the dark side when he came back to life as Nero Angelo)?

Did the war between Angels and demons create humans? Or did it just create the aspect of their "humanity"?

Are Angels "morally ambiguous" too?

Since Vergil looks like an Angel but in reality has a demon's heart and Dante looks like a Demon but has a "angelic" heart underneath, does this mean that there are "corrupt" Angels as well?

Kind of like how, despite the fact that Blade has none of the vampiric weaknesses, he still has to age like a normal human.

So, does the combination of "devil" and "angel" in the human world create "humanity" while in the "Nephilihm" realm, it created a whole new race?

Or is it due to the fact that "Rebellion" is a concept that was "created" by humanity, which inspired both Sparda and Eva?

Old Dante ages like a human, but he's still not as strong as a full-blooded demon in the old series (despite how "overpowered" he may seem... he still wasn't as physically strong as Old Mundus and needed Trish's power to defeat him).

Also, Eva may have been powerful in the original series as well, since it was implied that she was a sorceress before she met Sparda, and was fighting against the demons alongside the humans as one of their leaders.

One more thing...

What was Vergil originally going to look like?

tumblr_mke7docNOf1s6ub5do1_500.jpg

Was he going to look like the guy holding the machete upside down? Is the guy in the hood Nero? Or are these all just different concept ideas for Dante (the machete guy would have made a great Vergil, in my honest opinion)?

I wanted to ask about the very end of the 2010 trailer, where there's someone or something falling behind Dante after he falls himself... it was blue, and it looked like it had a sword... was that Vergil? Was Dante looking at Vergil before dropping off the building?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off-topic:

This reminds me of Vergil's Downfall in a lot of ways... did you direct this movie? lol

Last edited:

D0NN1E

Developer
That's true, no point in asking for something if you guys don't feel comfortable shipping it.

Oh, I see.

TxA answered that part but I still have a question. Is it Malice that makes Limbo? Or is Limbo a living creature by itself?

Well... that sucks.

Oh! I have another question regarding Limbo. Did you guys ever consider a more creative form of platforming where the player didn't have to take a single route but could make his own using Ophion and Angel Glide?

No Malice is the manifestation of the demon world... black blood, the black crystals ripping through the real world, etc...

I'm not sure I understand your last question, can you give an example?
How 'bout some more personal questions.

What kinda games do you play?
So, what got you into video game design?
If you could have your choice what company would you work for?
Did you enjoy working on DmC and Enslaved?
Do the people at NT also have their desks covered in comic book and anime figurines? Yours?

Hello! :)

I play mostly character driven games like DMC, God of War (1 and 2 were the best), Castlevania LoS (first one), but also stuff like Uncharted (love 2), The Last of Us, Mass Effect (love 2), and so on.

I think Tomb Raider is probably to blame for that. I loved the first game and the idea that you could tell a story and control this character on screen, that was the exciting feeling that got me to make my first levels. A lot of people debate story in games nowadays, but for me story adds a human value to the experience that makes it memorable (if done well, of course).

I would work with Capcom Japan in a heartbeat. :)

Yes, I enjoyed both for very different reasons. Enslaved was very magical and even though its a very simplified action adventure, I got to be creative and do many awesome things in it! DmC was incredible because I got to meet Itsuno-san, who I instantly became a fan of. I learned so much from him and I'm very grateful for the experience.

Oh yes, most people have toys and figures around their desks, but I'm not one of them. :D I'm easily distracted by any image or anything that happens around me. For example, if I'm having a conversation and someone walks past or simply talks, I shift my focus to someone else's conversation. Not that I want to hear what they're saying, but my brain just changes the focus. Same thing with my desk... if I'm writing or doing any creative work, having all these things around me that are unrelated can easily confuse and distract me. Before I start on a task or a project, I tend to fill my computer with images that are related to the subject, then I can work. I use that for inspiration, and MUSIC. I cannot work without music. Usually something without words as that can distract me too, unless I'm doing something repetitive and just need to blast through it all.

No, sorry. I am thoroughly ashamed to say that I'm more or less pretty bad at games.

Oh sure, I can play DMC3 on DMD Turbo Mode without using any items except for Yellow Orbs (I never use the Gold system) --

-- however, I can't do the constant "Jump Cancel" tricks without switching the jump button to L2/Left Trigger, and even then, it's a bit of a challenge for me.

The best way to contact SamD would be through the PM system. I'll PM him right now and tell him you want to talk... it's just too bad that I can't contact him any other way.

I'm glad you considered introducing Force Edge into the series. That would be a very fascinating story development to watch.

I asked about Vergil holding Yamato with two hands because he does it constantly in the DMC3 cutscenes. He switches from one hand to two in a heartbeat with Dante, but never with any other enemy. The reason I was asking is because I wanted to see him do it in-game.

Also, I think that there should be a "tradeoff" of Dante being half-Angel, half-demon... the tradeoff being that Dante can't be as strong as either a "full-blooded" demon or a "full-blooded" Angel.

I mean, Nephilim can travel between worlds easily (and go anywhere within the three dimensions, I think, while demons and Angels cannot), but he still has to pay for that kind of "power" in some way, shape, or form.

Also, what's with Rebellion being a "human" weapon? Does this mean that Yamato was a human weapon as well (before Vergil completely turned to the dark side when he came back to life as Nero Angelo)?

Did the war between Angels and demons create humans? Or did it just create the aspect of their "humanity"?

Are Angels "morally ambiguous" too?

Since Vergil looks like an Angel but in reality has a demon's heart and Dante looks like a Demon but has a "angelic" heart underneath, does this mean that there are "corrupt" Angels as well?

Kind of like how, despite the fact that Blade has none of the vampiric weaknesses, he still has to age like a normal human.

So, does the combination of "devil" and "angel" in the human world create "humanity" while in the "Nephilihm" realm, it created a whole new race?

Or is it due to the fact that "Rebellion" is a concept that was "created" by humanity, which inspired both Sparda and Eva?

Old Dante ages like a human, but he's still not as strong as a full-blooded demon in the old series (despite how "overpowered" he may seem... he still wasn't as physically strong as Old Mundus and needed Trish's power to defeat him).

Also, Eva may have been powerful in the original series as well, since it was implied that she was a sorceress before she met Sparda, and was fighting against the demons alongside the humans as one of their leaders.

One more thing...

Dante-and-Vergil-devil-may-cry-5-33254417-744-1052.jpg

What was Vergil originally going to look like? Something like this?

tumblr_mke7docNOf1s6ub5do1_500.jpg

Or was he going to look like the guy holding the machete upside down? Is the guy in the hood Nero? Or are these all just different concept ideas for Dante (the machete guy would have made a great Vergil, in my honest opinion)?

I wanted to ask about the very end of the 2010 trailer, where there's someone or something falling behind Dante after he falls himself... it was blue, and it looked like it had a sword... was that Vergil? Was Dante looking at Vergil before dropping off the building?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off-topic:

This reminds me of Vergil's Downfall in a lot of ways... did you direct this movie? lol

SamD sent me a message on youtube saying he's busy but he'll catch up soon. No worries. :)

Right, Yamato both hands! I didn't notice that in the original series, that's very interesting. Also the fact that he HAD to use both hands to fight Dante is a sign of underlying weakness, or trying to make up for it. Do you think that's a correct interpretation?

I can see your point that a nephilim would be weaker than a full demon. I guess there's advantages and disadvantages to both? A demon certainly cannot travel to the angel world. ;)

I wouldn't read too much with Rebellion being a human weapon, I don't think it means anything. In DmC, Rebellion vanishes in the real world, so I wouldn't consider it a human weapon. Honestly, I don't know how to explain it.

I don't think the war created the humans, they all co-existed in perfect balance, but the demons wanted control over mankind, and potentially conquer the angel realm too. The angels were merely protecting the balance.

I don't think the Angels are ambiguous, I think they can be bad or good, depends who you ask. If I asked Bob Barbas if he thought Mundus is evil he would say, no, he merely wants what's best for the demons. Same could be said for Dante. Was he right in exterminating so many demons? I guess from his point of view, he was right to do that. I like to see characters in stories as all wanting something, they can all be antagonists really, if you look from a different perspective. I don't like characters that are simplistic and two dimensional.

Yes, I think there's corruption everywhere, among demons, humans and angels. It makes everything more interesting. than simply having good vs evil.

That first drawing is not what the initial drawing of Vergil looked like, I don't think. He was a bit closer to the classic one, if I remember correctly.

All of those in the second image represent Dante at different stages of his life. Dante as a boy, a teenager, and as older man (check his hair that goes from mostly black as a boy and becomes mostly white as an older man). I think at some point his childhood was going to feature more prominently in the game, potentially even playable, but this was abandoned.

I saw the trailer for that before but didn't watch the movie. Is it any good? Might watch it later. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom