• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So I worked on DmC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Also, if in the next game, the character designers say long hair wouldn't work on a Western character
Please tell them these magic words
"Rambo: First Blood part II"
(It's funny, I actually was more mad about the jacket than the hair during TGS 2010)

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
Also, if in the next game, the character designers say long hair wouldn't work on a Western character
Please tell them these magic words
"Rambo: First Blood part II"
(It's funny, I actually was more mad about the jacket than the hair during TGS 2010)
A few words for NT:
Steven_Seagull.jpg

Steve Seagull frowns upon your shenanigans
&
Viking.jpg

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Frostmourne,

Dante's appearance in the 2010 TGS was a bit misunderstood. He wasn't that emaciated, it's just that people didn't realize the boy in chains was like 6-8 years old! I guess cutting between the more mature Dante and the boy gave the wrong impression and the trailer wasn't very clear about this. I think at some point you were meant to play a young Dante in the game but this was scrapped very early on.

Playing as a younger Dante got scrapped!? Oh man that would've been so cool! T_T

Now, regarding the opening of a follow-up to Vergil's Downfall I had a few ideas, but since these were not written at Ninja Theory, nor were they written to support a sequel, just as a way for me to plan the character development for Vergil's Downfall, you can consider these fan fiction. :D

My idea for a follow-up starts with the world torn apart. Demons run freely on the streets so people try to barricade themselves in their homes. However this doesn't work long as the demons slowly corrupt the humans and the humans start to take on demonic traits. Basically humanity is starting to fall to the dark side. Right at the start, we follow Kat, as she tries to save a young girl from her mother, who has turned evil. They trap the mother and escape to the streets of the city, which has been destroyed after the events of DmC.

A demon kidnaps the little girl and Dante shows up to help Kat. Dante chases the demon and when he's about to deal the final blow, time freezes. The previously grey and barren landscape suddenly turns green and lush (the angelic plane of existence appears in a similar way to the Malice in DmC). An angel appears from above and introduces himself as Eva's brother, Dante's uncle. It is then that we learn that the events at the end of DmC, merging both demon and human worlds, threw the three dimensions (human, demon and angel) off balance. Dante is to blame for this.

With time frozen, only the angels or half angels can move freely. Kat and the little girl are frozen at this point, while Dante and his uncle have this discussion. The uncle severs the demon's head (the one Dante was chasing) and it is at this time that they hear someone approaching. The green plants and flowers start to die around them. The uncle becomes agitated and asks Dante to come to the angel world, leaving Kat and the girl behind. It is at this point that the other entity becomes visible: a man with black wings, the Angel of Death (or Nero Angelo if you pefer :). Dante leaves Kat, who is shocked to see what Vergil has become.

So this is what I had planned for a possible opening, following the events of DmC and Vergil's Downfall. I also planned an ending for this, which would see Dante sacrifice himself and his brother to restore the balance between the three different worlds.

The angels would play a much larger part in this game and take the game in a totally different direction. Not all angels would be allies to Dante, as he is responsible for destroying the balance, and I thought at some point his uncle would have to betray the Angel Queen to help Dante, pitting the angels against Dante completely. Also the fact that Dante's mother was banished by the angels doesn't make Dante their best friend.

What do you think? Would this have been cool? Fire away!

*internally screaming at how awesome that reads* Yes it would've been cool! I'm sad it never happened, it sounds like a really great idea. I do like the idea of not all the angels being nice and getting to see more of Dante's family with this uncle character.

Psst, dude >.> write it as a fanfiction. I'll totally read it, we all will.

Railazel

Frostmourne,

Dante's appearance in the 2010 TGS was a bit misunderstood. He wasn't that emaciated, it's just that people didn't realize the boy in chains was like 6-8 years old! I guess cutting between the more mature Dante and the boy gave the wrong impression and the trailer wasn't very clear about this. I think at some point you were meant to play a young Dante in the game but this was scrapped very early on.

Oh, I can't believe I skipped this. You're telling me that the idea of playing as a young Dante (possibly would have been one of the biggest selling points for the game), NT scrapped!?

hBF78DBB5

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
where exactly did Vergil's Downfall take place?

it seems much larger than the mansion. Are there any specific locations that you could elaborate on?

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
A few words for NT:
Steven_Seagull.jpg

Steve Seagull frowns upon your shenanigans
&
Viking.jpg
Please be quiet, this is between me and the nice NT employee, I can rustle the jimmies of the DmC FANS any day of the week, but rustling the jimmies of an employee takes a bit more concentration

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
@DONN1E

If you got to do a crossover between DMC (reboot or classic) and another video game property (capcom owned, outside capcom doesnt matter) what would it be? what would you do? how? and why ?
Seconding that question. Wish I'd asked it.:tongue:

Also, would you want to see Dante do a crossover with Bayonetta?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
As far as I know JJJ no longer even teaches striking does it? Forgive my ignorance here, only had experience in BJJ.
Not exactly. It still very much teaches striking moves. Brazilian "Jiujitsu" (with huge air quotes) is, in reality "Kodokan judo". It's just a different style of Judo, when all is said and done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujutsu

"Today, jujutsu is practiced in both traditional and modern sport forms. Derived sport forms include the Olympic sport and martial art of judo, which was developed by Kanō Jigorō in the late 19th century from several traditional styles of jujutsu, and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, which was in turn derived from earlier (pre–World War II) versions of Kodokan judo."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Pancratium is indeed several hundred years old, the Japanese samurai have been practicing martial arts for probably just as long.

"During the Muromachi period (1333-1568), when the bujutsu ryu-ha were first being formed, such famous warriors as Aisu Ikkosai and Kamiizumi Isenokami Hidetsuna (later Nobutsuna) of the Kage-ryu, Chujo Hyogonosuke of the Chujo-ryu, Iizasa Choisai Ienao of the Katori Shinto-ryu, and Tsukahara Bokuden of the Kashima Shinto-ryu traveled throughout Japan for warrior training (musha shugyo) to improve their skills and understanding of combat, and also to teach their individual styles and systems to local warriors and those they had taught earlier in their careers."

http://www.koryu.com/library/mskoss2.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_jiu-jitsu

"Brazilian jiu-jitsu was formed from early 20th century Kodokan Judo ground fighting (Ne-Waza) fundamentals that were taught to Luiz França and Carlos Gracie by master Mitsuyo Maeda."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend BJJ as a "legitimate" means of defense, despite what it says on the wiki page:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"BJJ promotes the concept that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend against a bigger, stronger assailant by using proper technique, leverage, and most notably, taking the fight to the ground, and then applying joint-locks and chokeholds to defeat the other person."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say this because, while it works well in an arena or any other type of controlled environment, it isn't really applicable as... well... a more "realistic" type of defense.

Now, before you take offense, I would just like to make clear that I had taken a few lessons in both Japanese Ju-jutusu AND Brazilian "Jiu-jitsu" (it's "Kodokan judo" dammit! >_<), I can safely say that I prefer Japanese Ju-jutsu by FAR.

When I say "a few lessons" I mean "six months each" more or less. I didn't really want to come off as a braggart, especially since this was YEARS ago and I've forgotten everything since.

Still prefer Ju-jutsu (and Jo-jutsu), though. It's just my preference.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, if I could find a way to blend Taiji (Tai Chi Chuan), Ju-jutsu, Jo-jutsu, and Krav Maga (while I'm not crazy about it's violent style, I do see it as rather necessary), then that would be kind of awesome.

I mentioned Taiji because it exercises your organs, as well as your muscles, giving you a lot of added strength and a longer lifespan; therefore, it'll increase your overall power by a substantial amount.

And I didn't say "Yoga" because Taiji really covers everything you learn in yoga, in addition to self-defense techniques, thus you won't be really needing it in your "curriculum".

Recently, Krav Maga has added on the forms of the "Keysi Fighting Method" (street fighting from any position and the style used in the Nolan Batman movies) from Spain, and the "Close Quarters Combat" techniques from MGS3 and other "military" curricula (the "LINE" system, etc.).

Krav Maga already had a philosophy of "anything is a weapon" and "break everything you can, as fast as you can" so those two added styles make an already formidable beast almost indomitable, from my point of view.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, BJJ is... well it may be an "Olympic Sport", but with the already available styles of Sambo, Hapkido, Bartitsu (Sherlock's fighting style), and the aforementioned JJJ, KFJ, and KM, it's really... well "not necessary", in my honest (and rather biased), opinion.

BJJ only teaches well... grapples, chokes, etc. And that's only on the ground too. It doesn't even teach how to counter multiple attackers like JJJ and Aikido...

[Note: While Aikido is "battlefield-tested", works to an extent as a legitimate form of self-defense, and does have a FEW striking moves more or less, it more or less only focuses on standing counters, and is therefore NOT on my list of "Mixed Martial Arts"of choice.]

Even Filipino Kali (usually, pekiti-tirsia kali) is a "better" choice than BJJ (even though it has virtually no "ground" moves -- not to my knowledge, anyway):

While it may be (slightly) stylized here, it's more or less the "Filipino" version of Krav Maga.

http://finchin.com/kali-martial-arts-jason-bourne/

"You attack, I counterattack. You move close with a knife. I move closer and take it away. You punch, I move in under the punch; as you miss, I punch you four times. You kick, I lunge over it and break your leg."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, those are my two cents. You asked, and I answered as delicately as possible.

... I'm not really known for my subtlety, so I'll understand any "fan rage" that comes my way.

Last edited:

AcidX_Y

Not exactly. It still very much teaches striking moves. Brazilian "Jiujitsu" (with huge air quotes) is, in reality "Kodokan judo". It's just a different style of Judo, when all is said and done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Today, jujutsu is practiced in both traditional and modern sport forms. Derived sport forms include the Olympic sport and martial art of judo, which was developed by Kanō Jigorō in the late 19th century from several traditional styles of jujutsu, and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, which was in turn derived from earlier (pre–World War II) versions of Kodokan judo."

While Pancratium is indeed several hundred years old, the Japanese samurai have been practicing martial arts for probably just as long.

"During the Muromachi period (1333-1568), when the bujutsu ryu-ha were first being formed, such famous warriors as Aisu Ikkosai and Kamiizumi Isenokami Hidetsuna (later Nobutsuna) of the Kage-ryu, Chujo Hyogonosuke of the Chujo-ryu, Iizasa Choisai Ienao of the Katori Shinto-ryu, and Tsukahara Bokuden of the Kashima Shinto-ryu traveled throughout Japan for warrior training (musha shugyo) to improve their skills and understanding of combat, and also to teach their individual styles and systems to local warriors and those they had taught earlier in their careers."

"Brazilian jiu-jitsu was formed from early 20th century Kodokan Judo ground fighting (Ne-Waza) fundamentals that were taught to Luiz França and Carlos Gracie by master Mitsuyo Maeda."

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend BJJ as a "legitimate" means of defense, despite what it says on the wiki page:

"BJJ promotes the concept that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend against a bigger, stronger assailant by using proper technique, leverage, and most notably, taking the fight to the ground, and then applying joint-locks and chokeholds to defeat the other person."

I say this because, while it works well in an arena or any other type of controlled environment, it isn't really applicable as... well... a more "realistic" type of defense.

Now, before you take offense, I would just like to make clear that I had taken a few lessons in both Japanese Ju-jutusu AND Brazilian "Jiu-jitsu" (it's "Kodokan judo" dammit! >_<), I can safely say that I prefer Japanese Ju-jutsu by FAR.

When I say "a few lessons" I mean "six months each" more or less. I didn't really want to come off as a braggart, especially since this was YEARS ago and I've forgotten everything since.

However, if I could find a way to blend Taiji (Tai Chi Chuan), Ju-jutsu, Jo-jutsu, and Krav Maga (while I'm not crazy about it's violent style, I do see it as rather necessary), then that would be kind of awesome.

I mentioned Taiji because it exercises your organs, as well as your muscles, giving you a lot of added strength and a longer lifespan; therefore, it'll increase your overall power by a substantial amount.

And I didn't say "Yoga" because Taiji really covers everything you learn in yoga, in addition to self-defense techniques, thus you won't be really needing it in your "curriculum".

Recently, Krav Maga has added on the forms of the "Keysi Fighting Method" (street fighting from any position and the style used in the Nolan Batman movies) from Spain, and the "Close Quarters Combat" techniques from MGS3 and other "military" curricula (the "LINE" system, etc.).

Krav Maga already had a philosophy of "anything is a weapon" and "break everything you can, as fast as you can" so those two added styles make an already formidable beast almost indomitable, from my point of view.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, BJJ is... well it may be an "Olympic Sport", but with the already available styles of Sambo, Hapkido, Bartitsu (Sherlock's fighting style), and the aforementioned JJJ, KFJ, and KM, it's really... well "not necessary", in my honest (and rather biased), opinion.

BJJ only teaches well... grapples, chokes, etc. And that's only on the ground too. It doesn't even teach how to counter multiple attackers like JJJ and Aikido...

[Note: While Aikido is "battlefield-tested", works to an extent as a legitimate form of self-defense, and does have a FEW striking moves more or less, it more or less only focuses on standing counters, and is therefore NOT on my list of "Mixed Martial Arts"of choice.]

Even Filipino Kali (usually, pekiti-tirsia kali) is a "better" choice than BJJ (even though it has virtually no "ground" moves -- not to my knowledge, anyway):

While it may be (slightly) stylized here, it's more or less the "Filipino" version of Krav Maga.

"You attack, I counterattack. You move close with a knife. I move closer and take it away. You punch, I move in under the punch; as you miss, I punch you four times. You kick, I lunge over it and break your leg."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, those are my two cents. You asked, and I answered as delicately as possible.

... I'm not really known for my subtlety, so I'll understand any "fan rage" that comes my way.
Wrong thread?

Also Aikido and krav maga are overrated, they're usually the things people with no experience go to because it looks cool.

BJJ teaches throws and standing joint locks/chokes, its just that its focus is on ground fighting and modern day BJJ is far from kodokan Judo. It's its own martial art now.

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam

I'm aware of the BJJ/Judo confusion. I heard that the Gracies basically thought they were learning Jujutsu when in fact they were learning Judo, so when they refined it as they own they called it BJJ, instead of Brazilian Judo, which I assume they would've had they known what they were learning? Lol.

--
Pankration (/pæn.ˈkreɪti.ɒn/ or /pæŋˈkreɪʃən/) was a combat sport introduced into the Greek Olympic Games in 648 BC and founded as a blend of boxing and wrestling but with scarcely any rules. The only things not acceptable were biting and gouging of the opponent's eyes. The term comes from the Greek παγκράτιον [paŋkrátion], literally meaning "all might" from πᾶν (pan-) "all" and κράτος (kratos) "strength, might, power".[1]

Pankration is old. very old.
--
I generally don't like saying there's any 1 "best" fighting style, as it comes down to the 2 individuals fighting. But in a straight up 1 on 1 scenario, I think BJJ is probably the most useful. I wouldn't use it by choice in a street fight, because going to the ground is an invitation to get your head stomped on by a 3rd party, but if it's absolutely 1on1 in a deserted area, I think BJJ would be the quickest and easiest way to neutralise an opponent. Ideally I'd want to learn MT, but I don't have the time.
--
Krav Maga... I did a little of that and I really didn't think it was all that. If I had the time to commit to learning any MA I wanted I'd get back into BJJ, take up MT, and take up TKD just for the hell of it. I don't see TKD as an extremely effective form of self defence, but it's bloody fun to do and I imagine it helps quite a lot with speed work.
--
Aikido lol. Aikido is essentially an extremely watered down form of JJJ is it not? That and the fact that the only effective Aikido I've ever seen is ridiculous videos of a "master" having his students run at him, and then suddenly flip forward....... yeah.
The best way to deal with multiple attackers is to run. 9 times out of 10 if you're outnumbered you're going to get a beating.
--
Kali is awesome. Dan Inosanto is awesome. Teaching you to do almost every move with a fist, Kali stick or a blade is also awesome.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Please be quiet, this is between me and the nice NT employee, I can rustle the jimmies of the DmC FANS any day of the week, but rustling the jimmies of an employee takes a bit more concentration

Well im not laughing & dont find these posts amusing just immature and childish. If you derail any more threads in this manner with the sole intention of doing so I have no problem taking things further than the warning the just received.

Carry on everyone else and keep things on topic, show some respect and dont feed the trolls.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
This is all extremely interesting, and I'm glad that this thread showed up. Thanks for coming here, Rogério! I was suffering from a severe lack of Devil May Cry news. Any Devil May Cry news. So 'feeding' me all this background information definitely eases the pain. ;)

Guess I remembered it wrong as Dontay, like I said I haven't seen that video in ages. But yeaaah, little things like not even getting the name right gave me a really bad taste for DmC to start off with. Happy to be proven wrong after playing it though :smile:

I'm just putting this out here. Tim Phillipps is Australian. He obviously pronounces Dante as Donte but that could be due to his accent. I don't know much about Aussie accents though, but I think that's the case. I mean, he pretty much ditched that accent in the game, which was good because I think I would've had to play the game on mute if he'd said: "My name, by the way, is DONTE!" Um... no.

You'll notice that he doesn't talk as much as Dante. This is part of his character, he will only speak when it matters or he feels he has to, unlike Dante who rambles all the time. Again, this is also reflected in the way he uses the sword and what I said about him doing the least effort for the best result. In one word, Vergil is economical. :D

Haha!

While this is true, I can't help but be amused by this. Playing VD after DmC definitely felt like a big shift for me. I mean, with Dante, I was so used to the arbiter and the gauntlets and just generally smashing the hell out of the demons. With VD, his attacks felt much less powerful but still effective. I still play DmC + VD quite often and I can't bring myself to stop loving it. I think one of the things that I loved most about VD was the environment. I don't even have the words. All I'll say is that it was a great fit to the mood of VD. It was dark, blue... damn, how I wish I could find the perfect word that'd describe the level design in VD. :D

Sometimes I find myself curious about playing as boy Dante too, but I wonder how that'd ever work? I can't imagine a 6-year-wielding a sword as big as rebellion (though it's not as big as the original one I suppose). Ah, which reminds me! I loved the flashback images of young Dante.

And one final thing. Hollow Dante boss fight?

tumblr_inline_n4iwg5NTFK1qjh2qr.jpg

So. Much. Freaking. Need.

Hm. I thought I'd said everything, but apparently there's some things that I still want to say.

As for Dante's age, Ninja Theory on twitter confirmed that it was around 18 - 23 years. They wouldn't say anything specifically, though. And I once saw a Japanese DmC article in which they stated that Kat was 16. That's... young? I don't know how I feel about that. And of course, it happens, but the fact that Vergil is the younger brother doesn't sitt well with me either. But then again, older doesn't always mean more mature.

I'd also just like to say that while DmC is by far my favorite game of 2013, I'm glad that someone who worked on it acknowledges the fact that it isn't perfect. I mean, that's one of the reasons why I'm so interested in this game. There are so many things it got right, and an equal amount of things that could've been improved. And as for the story, there's so much potential there because I also don't think that limbo collapsing into the real world is a good thing. I mean, they stand in the midst of chaos and they're like "yeah, brother we did it we saved the world". I mean, I suppose it's cool that they're happy they defeated Mundus but that's an awfully big, messy place to clean up. The idea of demons corrupting humans is definitely another interesting take at this.

If I have to be completely honest here, I didn't have complete faith in a DmC movie. But let me just say this, if Rogério ended up doing the writing, a big part of that would be restored! I guess my main problem with the story in DmC was that it felt too simplistic at times. It was good, but not great. It could've been great. (There are people who claim it's horrendous but I don't agree with that.) And unfortunately I can't spell out how because I don't consider myself to be even an adequate writer, but it's just a feeling that I have.

Last edited:

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
Hm. I thought I'd said everything, but apparently there's some things that I still want to say.

As for Dante's age, Ninja Theory on twitter confirmed that it was around 18 - 23 years. They wouldn't say anything specifically, though. And I once saw a Japanese DmC article in which they stated that Kat was 16. That's... young? I don't know how I feel about that. And of course, it happens, but the fact that Vergil is the younger brother doesn't sitt well with me either. But then again, older doesn't always mean more mature.

I'd also just like to say that while DmC is by far my favorite game of 2013, I'm glad that someone who worked on it acknowledges the fact that it isn't perfect. I mean, that's one of the reasons why I'm so interested in this game. There are so many things it got right, and an equal amount of things that could've been improved. And as for the story, there's so much potential there because I also don't think that limbo collapsing into the real world is a good thing. I mean, they stand in the midst of chaos and they're like "yeah, brother we did it we saved the world". I mean, I suppose it's cool that they're happy they defeated Mundus but that's an awfully big, messy place to clean up. The idea of demons corrupting humans is definitely another interesting take at this.

If I have to be completely honest here, I didn't have complete faith in a DmC movie. But let me just say this, if Rogério ended up doing the writing, a big part of that would be restored! I guess my main problem with the story in DmC was that it felt too simplistic at times. It was good, but not great. It could've been great. (There are people who claim it's horrendous but I don't agree with that.) And unfortunately I can't spell out how because I don't consider myself to be even an adequate writer, but it's just a feeling that I have.

Domenic93

why did the fat guy in level 4 have a 5 on his shirt? if they were trying to be like previous games (the number of the level would appear in that levels opening cutscene), they would have put a 4 on the shirt instead, it just seems like it was meant to be a back handed insult at the people who wanted Devil May Cry 5, since tameem is kind of a prima donna from the whole situation(insert what happened with heavenly sword 2 where it was green lighted but he opened his mouth and complained about sony then it got cancled).

did they just throw Phineas in at the last minute, or was he originally going to have a larger part? cause he seems to only be there to tell dante that lilith is having mundus' child, and tell him not all demons are bad, and then disappears from the rest of the game. also why did Mundus leave Phineas alive.

was there any plans to do anything with sparda in the early development of the game?

did anyone question the park of exposition?( the playground with all the graffiti, explaining all the back story) because if I was in that meeting I would have been asking a whole lot of questions.
this is just a continuation of my previous questions since I just remembered

who idea was it to have the scene where the wig fell on his head and he broke the fourth wall saying "not in a million years" before ripping it off. did anyone say that it was a bad idea because it would probably **** of fans of the original series? I'm sure it was meant as a joke(by most of the team at least) but someone had to have noticed they were on thin ice already and that it would be bad PR.

was there a reason for making dante left handed? because that seems like a strange thing to change. also no that I think about it dante is a lot closer to nero design wise than to dante, even his sword looks like a reskined red queen and nero is also left handed.

D0NN1E

Developer
Wow, this derailed a bit! Haha

why did the fat guy in level 4 have a 5 on his shirt? if they were trying to be like previous games (the number of the level would appear in that levels opening cutscene), they would have put a 4 on the shirt instead, it just seems like it was meant to be a back handed insult at the people who wanted Devil May Cry 5, since tameem is kind of a prima donna from the whole situation.

did they just throw Phineas in at the last minute, or was he originally going to have a larger part? cause he seems to only be there to tell dante that lilith is having mundus' child, and tell him not all demons are bad, and then disappears from the rest of the game. also why did Mundus leave Phineas alive.

was there any plans to do anything with sparda in the early development of the game?

did anyone question the park of exposition?( the playground with all the graffiti, explaining all the back story) because if I was in that meeting I would have been asking a whole lot of questions.

I don't think the number 5 on his shirt is intended as an insult for fans of the series. I really don't have a definitive answer to why it's there.

I think Phineas was there since the early drafts, but unfortunately he's such a throwaway character. I wish he had a bigger role to play and that Dante didn't bump into him by pure coincidence (he just happens to know this insanely important piece of information about Mundus having a baby). He could've helped Dante and Vergil defeat Mundus in a more direct way.

Oh, Sparda... have you noticed how he's either scratched out or hidden in a shadow in all the pictures in the game (including flashbacks when he's chained, etc?). You never hear or see him in the game. I'm not sure I'm allowed to say why, but not having him as an active part of the story was incredibly HARD. That's all I'm saying.

What questions would you have regarding the street art?

@D0NN1E

You know what?

I think "????" is a better fit for Vergil. I just thought it was a goof, ya know? Or some sort of prank. Good to see him keeping up with the whole "mysterious" image.

On a side note: I'm glad you liked the mask idea as much as I did. It's a shame that it wasn't there, but, a small detail like that won't lesson the experience, so in the end, it's not really that big of a deal.

Ah, so you didn't have to hire a martial artist to mo-cap the moves?

That's good because you got to save money on an already tight budget, and the moves that Vergil already has in Downfall look accurate enough as they are, imo. Personally, I think it was well done.

[Yes, there have been a few complaints here and there, but I honestly don't put much stock in them, so it's better not to think about that if you can't add more moves in such a limited time frame to begin with.]

So... what would Vergil have instead of straight up hand-to-hand combat moves?

I know you're going to hate this idea, but just mull on it for a second...

The katars.

http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/Manas_&_Ayus

It's not strictly hand-to-hand, but it's close enough to be able to um... "scratch that close quarters feel" if you will.

I agree with you on Vergil being an "economic fighter". It makes sense, considering the fact that his moves are "just showy enough" and he doesn't fool around when taking demons down like Dante does.

It's all about (surgical) precision.

However, I'm not saying that he should have Voldo's moveset. Absolutely not. Just the katar weapons -- in my opinion, they suit him quite well, personality-wise.

It would act as an excellent balance between getting close, but not too close to the enemy.

But hey, if you disagree, and think he should maintain his distance, then that's fine with me. You know more about this whole gaming business than I, after all.

------------------------------------------------------------

@InfernalOverkill

JJJ, in my honest, most humble opinion, was the original mixed martial art.

While it didn't have high kicks, it did have a bevy of striking moves; the reason it was comprised mostly of chokes and whatnot was because they had to get past the armored defenses of the enemy samurai. However, strikes were very much a part of their repertoire.

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://goshinryu.orgfree.com/jujutsu.html

"Jujutsu uses a wide variety that striking in orderto unbalance or redirect the attacker's attention, gaining controlof the situation. Judo is primarily a grappling system that placesrules and restriction on the use of striking techniques, becauseof this lack of striking, judo is in-effective as a self-defensesystem. This element of control is an advantage of jujutsu overpunch and kick defense systems (karate, tae kwon do, etc.). However,controlling techniques can regulate the amount of force so thatthe effects can be judged immediately and adjustments made inthe technique, if necessary.
There are three kicksfound in traditional jujutsu; the front kick, side kick, and backkick. With the popularity of karate, and the blending of techniquesby students and instructors, many systems now claim the same kickingtechniques as the karate systems, but traditionally, there areno high kicks, no turning kicks, and no aerial kicks in the art.The kicks of jujutsu are also used as secondary weapons designedto set up an attacker or to inhibit his motion. Once control ofthe attacker has been gained, a kick may be used as a stunningweapon should control prove difficult."

http://www.taijutsukai.co.uk/

"TJK upholds the original concepts of Ju Jutsu and addresses all aspects of self defence both standing and on the ground. It's STRUCTURED and FUNCTIONAL self defence syllabus is based on a blend of both traditional and modern aspects of the art and provides effective reality based self defence skills"

Not trying to start an argument, not saying that there were any high kicks in JJJ, but I am saying that it did indeed have striking moves.

So yes, while Bruce Lee may have been the "father" of "Modern MMA", he wasn't necessarily its "inventor" -- at least not when looking at the big picture.

Not saying that you implied that, I'm just thinking that that was where the conversation would lead to, eventually -- so I decided to clear that up early on.

Also, I liked your ideas on Vergil (except for the Muay Thai). However, a side step isn't really all that great of an idea, imo.

The Darkslayer style keeps everything fast, yet still brutal at the same time.

You know what I mean: fast strikes with long recovery times due to the fact that so much power was being put into his moves.

Side note: Just to make this (very off-topic) part of the conversation perfectly clear, I'm not confusing JJJ with Ninjutsu, which is NOT a martial art, but is rather the art of "independent" espionage (and arson).

Today's "espionage" consists more of following and tapping phones (Cold War tactics), hacking, or spying with drones (and all out of the government budget/taxpayers pockets, no less) as opposed to straight up having to "do everything yourself" (Historical Ninjutsu) and living in the wild so that you're better able to scout enemy territory (with nearly zero, if any, government spending -- reportedly).

https://thehistorypressuk.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/the-ninja-or-samuari-myth-by-antony-cummins/

Also, they only conducted assassinations very occasionally; it was much more effective to just destroy the entire base/castle with fire after sneaking in or after infiltrating the enemy ranks (and

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some vids from games that have used martial arts experts and used traditional fighting moves when recording during motion capture.

Also, the first vid demonstrates how JJJ uses almost all aspects of defense. If you just used grapples, you'd be pummeled by your opponent's friends and whatnot.

And yes, it is of my strong opinion that both Kage Maru and Ryo Hazuki used a "stylized" version of Japanese Ju Jutsu. Exaggerated yes, but the core "principles" are still very much there, imo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look, I'm sure you're familiar with all of this, but I just thought it'd be better to clear the air here, so that there would be no misunderstanding.

While I know that muay thai is a functional martial art, it doesn't exactly suit my tastes.

Besides, Tony Jaa was using Muay Boran and other martial arts moves during his movies -- Muay Thai only enters into the equation sometimes.

Not trying to get into an argument about Tony Jaa, either. Just saying that even though his movies (except his latest one, Honor of the Beast 2/The Protector 2, that one was just plain awful) are great, it's still not my martial art of choice.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to go so far off-topic, but I really thought that this should be discussed.

Anyway, I'm not going to be on for a little bit, so I might not get back to you guys for a while. Cheers.

Side note: Just in case you're wondering, the sword in my sig is a "Shikomizue" the weapon that was used in "Zatoichi: The Blind Samurai".

It's basically a Japanese sword cane... but I like to call it a "Staffsword" because it just sounds cooler that way.

(Yes, I know that the "Swordstaff" was a polearm, but I still prefer to use a variation of the term)

The quarterstaff/short staff/jo staff is my favorite weapon (because you can use both kendo and bo staff techniques); but when you combine that concept with a sword, it just makes it that much better, imo.

It's not that I think Vergil's not capable of hand-to-hand combat, it's just not what he would normally chose to do. I think Vergil can be pushed to fight dirty, and there was huge debate regarding a particular cutscene in Vergil's Downfall, when Vergil finally catches up with Hollow Dante and grabs him by the neck. I thought it was justified then because Dante had mortally wounded Vergil and had been drilling through his insecurities for a while.

As someone who was very anti-DmC before playing it, reading that line from a dev pre-release would have made me feel a lot better. Hearing other people involved with DmC not being able to pronounce Dante properly, and just generally showing ignorance of the original series is what really set me in the anti-camp. I already didn't look the look of DmC Dante and with the radical change in his personality combined with the apparent ignorance of the dev team, well, to say I was ****ed off with the entire concept would be an understatement lol.

You're totally right on that statement though. Dante's entire style/moveset is flashy and over the top, and while it undoubtedly works, you could see how he could be more efficient in combat*. Vergil on the other hand; calm, collected, extremely cold and precise, his moveset really doesn't need any tweaking.

*Doing so would be a mistake though. It's just part of Dante's character.

JJJ is only a few hundred years old is it not? Pankration has been around since the Greek Olympics. It has punches, kicks, chokes, locks, wrestling, etc. Of course there's probably an even older MA that neither of us know about that had those things too. What I meant about Bruce Lee basically starting MMA is that whilst MAs like Pankration, Jujutsu, etc. had all the required elements to be considered MMA, Lee was the first to really start the modern MMA training style of learning multiple different MAs and creating your own fighting style.

True is had striking, but as you say JJJ was meant to be a way of fighting H2H with armoured samurai, therefore striking was left out even more so than punching is left out in TKD. As far as I know JJJ no longer even teaches striking does it? Forgive my ignorance here, only had experience in BJJ.

Oh, the Donte vs Dante thing... I personally think it is acceptable to pronounce both ways, but of course there's only one way it's been pronounced throughout the series, so I can see the inconsistency. Eva can also be pronounced as Evah or Eeva, if I'm correct, and I think they got the right one. :)

Playing as a younger Dante got scrapped!? Oh man that would've been so cool! T_T

*internally screaming at how awesome that reads* Yes it would've been cool! I'm sad it never happened, it sounds like a really great idea. I do like the idea of not all the angels being nice and getting to see more of Dante's family with this uncle character.

Psst, dude >.> write it as a fanfiction. I'll totally read it, we all will.

Awesome, glad you like it! :) I might write that one day, too busy ATM though!!

Oh, I can't believe I skipped this. You're telling me that the idea of playing as a young Dante (possibly would have been one of the biggest selling points for the game), NT scrapped!?

hBF78DBB5

Haha, well I think it's one of those wouldn't it be nice to do that? I don't remember this very well, but there was a model for a young Dante at some point - he was in the reveal trailer too. I'm guessing people realised that ALL the animation work would have to be done twice because they wouldn't look right on the younger body.

where exactly did Vergil's Downfall take place?

it seems much larger than the mansion. Are there any specific locations that you could elaborate on?

I thought Hell would be a place that's familiar and torturous at the same time for Vergil. I think seeing your childhood home in flames is more painful than seeing a generic landscape of burning buildings or something players had not connection with before.

We tried to base the locations around places that Vergil had seen before in the main game. A new location I added was the Chapel and Eva's Tomb. The story behind that is that Vergil built the chapel as he was growing up without family, while trying to piece together what happened to his parents and his brother. In a way, this place represents family to him and is where Vergil would hope to reunite with those he loved.

That is why, knowing he's dying at the start of Vergil's Downfall, he goes back there. Vergil spitting blood on the family portrait has huge symbolism attached to it: violence has torn the family apart and he knows it will never be the same again. In a way, his hopes for reuniting the family, Dante and his parents, are destroyed for good. It's a shame a lot of this is subtext and could not have been made more clear in the actual cutscenes, but as you know time and cutscene duration was extremely limited.

@DONN1E

If you got to do a crossover between DMC (reboot or classic) and another video game property (capcom owned, outside capcom doesnt matter) what would it be? what would you do? how? and why ?

ONIMUSHA!! :D I absolutely LOVE that game, do I need to say more? Not really sure how I would do it, just exc

Seconding that question. Wish I'd asked it.:tongue:

Also, would you want to see Dante do a crossover with Bayonetta?

Well I love Bayonetta, so why not? :)

This is all extremely interesting, and I'm glad that this thread showed up. Thanks for coming here, Rogério! I was suffering from a severe lack of Devil May Cry news. Any Devil May Cry news. So 'feeding' me all this background information definitely eases the pain. ;)

I'm just putting this out here. Tim Phillipps is Australian. He obviously pronounces Dante as Donte but that could be due to his accent. I don't know much about Aussie accents though, but I think that's the case. I mean, he pretty much ditched that accent in the game, which was good because I think I would've had to play the game on mute if he'd said: "My name, by the way, is DONTE!" Um... no.

Haha!

While this is true, I can't help but be amused by this. Playing VD after DmC definitely felt like a big shift for me. I mean, with Dante, I was so used to the arbiter and the gauntlets and just generally smashing the hell out of the demons. With VD, his attacks felt much less powerful but still effective. I still play DmC + VD quite often and I can't bring myself to stop loving it. I think one of the things that I loved most about VD was the environment. I don't even have the words. All I'll say is that it was a great fit to the mood of VD. It was dark, blue... damn, how I wish I could find the perfect word that'd describe the level design in VD. :D

Sometimes I find myself curious about playing as boy Dante too, but I wonder how that'd ever work? I can't imagine a 6-year-wielding a sword as big as rebellion (though it's not as big as the original one I suppose). Ah, which reminds me! I loved the flashback images of young Dante.

And one final thing. Hollow Dante boss fight?

tumblr_inline_n4iwg5NTFK1qjh2qr.jpg

So. Much. Freaking. Need.

Hi!! Thank you, happy to be here. :)

Truth is, after you fully upgrade Vergil he's a lot more powerful than Dante. His DPS is a lot higher than Dante because the amount of things you can fire and do concurrently is mind blowing. His doppelgänger (Devil Trigger) is also insane!

Glad you liked the environments for Vergil's Downfall, it was a huge shift in direction from the main game, so I appreciate not everyone is a fan of the changes.

Hollow Dante boss fight. :( Ugh, how I wish it was there, you have no idea! Imagine fighting Hollow Dante at the top of the statues! Ok, I'll stop.

I think a lot of people expect Vergil to be this perfect being, and that's what he tries to be because deep down he knows he's not perfect. I tried to root his motives in past experiences, especially his childhood. I know a lot of people go "oh great, now he has an inferiority complex". Truth is, this is very, very common between twins. I found out that often one of the twins feels inferior and truly believes - although it might not be true - that the mother prefers one of them. I also read that when a younger sibling has an inferiority complex, that makes that individual excel in many areas, surpassing the older sibling. I thought that was perfect for Vergil, because he has excelled in many ways and become far more educated than Dante. Also that justifies the need for him to try and be perfect all the time - because he knows he's not. But maybe you don't agree with that, it's ok. :)

this is just a continuation of my previous questions since I just remembered

who idea was it to have the scene where the wig fell on his head and he broke the fourth wall saying "not in a million years" before ripping it off. did anyone say that it was a bad idea because it would probably **** of fans of the original series? I'm sure it was meant as a joke(by most of the team at least) but someone had to have noticed they were on thin ice already and that it would be bad PR.

was there a reason for making dante left handed? because that seems like a strange thing to change. also no that I think about it dante is a lot closer to nero design wise than to dante, even his sword looks like a reskined red queen and nero is also left handed.

I think the wig scene was a way to make light fun out of something that people took too seriously. Did anyone think it was a bad idea? Of course, at least I did! I mean, does it move the plot forward in any way? Character development? No.

I think Dante handles the sword with BOTH hands. That's right, he's THAT good. Haha, but seriously, I don't see why he should be limited to one hand, really. He can do whatever he wants!

Regarding the sword, it's definitely not a reskinned Red Queen. So much work went into that sword, also making sure it could morph into other weapons and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom