• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Xbox One exclusive

The Final Offer

I agree but most rational people would have known in this day & age with companies going bust left right & centre it was unlikely to remain exclusive forever. Most developers have no choice but to release on every available platform to make a profit.

I have researched a lot into most of the games that are announced as first on some consoles & looked into interviews speaking about exclusivity & can normally tell those that have no plans for multiple console release & those that are using PR spin.

Just PR trying to put certain spins on things & all this controversy it's caused means people are talking about it. It's been in news for days now & top of article lists on gaming sites & forums so job done & mission accomplished.

Pretty sure that was a timed deal too like Destiny exclusive DLC packs that are coming to PS4 12 months before other platforms.

From article:

The exclusive launch of CoD: Ghosts DLC on the Xbox One continues the trend that started on Xbox 360.

That means the Xbox One generation will be like the previous one in which the Microsoft console saw the new content a month before the PS3 and PC versions of the game.

As a result, Xbox One owners should be able to get their hands on new CoD: Ghost maps, modes and character customizations before the PS4 version of the first-person shooter game.

Coming to PS4 at a later date...

Oh I remember seeing that COD early xbox dlc and thinking "That's pretty dumb." because, by the time it came out and by the time it released for PS and PC, it wasn't hot anymore (at least not to me and my circle). When we first saw the gameplay, we wanted it, then it's authenticity wore off.

I hate that feeling.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Oh I remember seeing that COD early xbox dlc and thinking "That's pretty dumb." because, by the time it came out and by the time it released for PS and PC, it wasn't hot anymore (at least not to me and my circle). When we first saw the gameplay, we wanted it, then it's authenticity wore off.

I hate that feeling.

Yeah & that was a month difference, Xbox owners have to wait a year for DLC for Destiny from a developer that used to be Microsoft exclusive. That's just the nature of the business.

Dark Drakan

Admin

I hate that feeling.

Just to add to this too, I know Xbox doesn't sell great in Japan but Sony also pay for most big franchises to be made exclusive to Playstation there too. So even less reason to own any Xbox consoles there.

I mean even Destiny is totally Playstation exclusive in Japan & not allowed to release XB1 version there as Sony have paid Activision for it to only be released on Playstation. Happens with lots of the big titles there too.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Microsoft's launch parity clause--which only lets indie developers release games on Xbox One if they haven't already launched for PS4, PC, or Wii U
So if an indie title is already on other systems then Micro doesn't want it.
That's annoying.

Doesnt always work like that, they said many times that they review it on a case by case basis. Plenty have been released on other consoles first and come to Xbox after since this. Also talk of it being dropped entirely, can see why they would want titles to be released at same time as other platforms but unfair to smaller studios who dont have the manpower to work on multiple versions and they have addressed this.

"Our goal is not to limit developers who are interested in Xbox One. In instances where games have signed a timed exclusive with another platform, we'll work with them on a case by case basis. We encourage them to get in touch at id@xbox.com."
All of the deals mentioned in this thread are to try and capitalize on sales and tempt the buyer in one direction. Its a shame as developers and gamers alike should all be given a choice, rather than being pulled in multiple directions by multiple companies.

Super90sgamer

PS4 and PC "gamers" show extreme immaturity once again. This time by sending death threats to the Witcher 3 developers because the Xbox One Collectors version of The Witcher 3 gets a couple of extra physical pack ins. When will this type of behavior stop?

Source: EuroGamer (Read the comments)

Captain Xin

PS4 and PC "gamers" show extreme immaturity once again. This time by sending death threats to the Witcher 3 developers because the Xbox One Collectors version of The Witcher 3 gets a couple of extra physical pack ins. When will this type of behavior stop?

Source: EuroGamer (Read the comments)

Anything involved in death threats and such represent somebody's immaturity. When you're threatening someone with death because they did something you hate, you know you got the whole idea of gaming wrong.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Anything involved in death threats and such represent somebody's immaturity. When you're threatening someone with death because they did something you hate, you know you got the whole idea of gaming wrong.

Petitions, boycotts & death threats seem the norm in modern society & not just gaming industry. It's a sad state of affairs when you can't approach people with reason & maturity.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I feel really bad for Microsoft right now. They must be getting so much crap over this timed exclusive confusion fiasco. I personally wasn't angry at Tomb Raider been an exclusive, I was deeply disappointed, but I understood that they needed to get more appeal towards their council and this would've been their Uncharted, I get that. The only thing that made me mad was the condescending little consolation prize the president said about PC and PS4 users getting some Laura through the other games, which we all know is not the same thing, and that's it. I thought it was a smart move on XBone's part, I thought it would've helped them out with their situation, and added more to their reasons to own a One. If video game history has taught us anything is that we need the competition, I don't want XBox to go the way of the Dreamcast but the way people treat it they just can do no right.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Microsoft will publish Rise of the Tomb Raider

Square Enix Statement

''Microsoft will be publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox," they said. "Microsoft has always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and they will get behind this game with more support across development, marketing and retail than ever before, which we believe will be a step in continuing to build the Tomb Raider franchise as one of the biggest in gaming.''

Our partnership with Microsoft on Rise of the Tomb Raider does have a duration, but we aren't discussing those details at this time and are focused on collaborating to deliver a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.''

The Final Offer

Microsoft will publish Rise of the Tomb Raider

Square Enix Statement

''Microsoft will be publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox," they said. "Microsoft has always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and they will get behind this game with more support across development, marketing and retail than ever before, which we believe will be a step in continuing to build the Tomb Raider franchise as one of the biggest in gaming.''

Our partnership with Microsoft on Rise of the Tomb Raider does have a duration, but we aren't discussing those details at this time and are focused on collaborating to deliver a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.''

In other words, if this fails. We have a crutch.

Dark Drakan

Admin
In other words, if this fails. We have a crutch.

Basically they know that restricting your sales to one platform could backfire if you dont make as much as you hope in profit from it even with that platform holders extra cash they have given you for the exclusivity. Microsoft are covering their publishing costs too, so if even then they dont make what they want back from this move they can release on other consoles soon as the time period is up. Covering their own asses on all fronts...

Top Bottom