• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Xbox One exclusive

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Fudge you Crystal Dynamics! Seriously...

You can find the article here:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/12/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-to-be-an-xbox-exclusive

Rise of the Tomb Raider to be an Xbox exclusive
Microsoft announces at Gamescom that the next Lara Croft adventure will only be coming to Xbox platforms

The next Lara Croft adventure will only be available on Xbox consoles, Microsoft announced today.

At a press conference ahead of the Gamescom video game event in Cologne, Crystal Dynamics studio head Darrell Gallagher took to the stage to confirm that Rise of the Tomb Raider, follow-up to last year’s critically acclaimed reboot of the long-running action adventure series, will be “exclusive to Xbox”. It is not yet clear whether this means Xbox One alone, or Xbox 360, too.

The competition between Sony and Microsoft to control the current console generation is hotting up. PlayStation 4 is slightly ahead with seven million units sold, compared to a reported five million for Xbox One. The two gaming giants are currently competing to secure the best platform exclusives, but usually unless developed by in-house studios, these are merely timed offers, with one console getting key titles or content a few months before the other.

It seems at this point that this is not a timed exclusive – Rise of the Tomb Raider is unlikely to appear on PS4 or PC. Speaking to fans via the Crystal Dynamics Tumblr, Gallagher confirms as much:

“Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past – we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

“This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.”

Published by Square Enix, Rise of the Tomb Raider is a considerable coup for Microsoft – even as a timed exclusive. Last year’s Tomb Raider title has now sold around seven million copies and the series is one of the most recognisable brands in the gaming world.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is due out in the Winter of 2015.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I can't see that bomb exploding anytime soon here (I say that because I don't really know who owns what... I only know of two people with an X1).

Official Playstation Magazine Facebook page don't seem too worried. They seem to think that there is still a chance that the game could be released on PS4. Although, at the moment, I call it, "biting the hand that feeds you".
This is from their FB page:
Big news coming out of Gamescom, and sadly, it ain't good. Despite placing number nine in our Hot 50 back in OPM #99, there are now serious questions over Rise Of The Tomb Raider's future on PlayStation.

Microsoft announced the news during its Gamescom conference, with the current wording being put out by developer Crystal Dynamics pointing to a concrete exclusive rather than a mere timed deal.

The press conference slides during the announcement read "Coming holiday 2015, exclusively on Xbox". Now, if you're supping from a big ol' mug of optimism, you could really focus on that 'holiday 2015' part and read 'timed-exclusive'. It's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility Rise Of The Tomb Raider could yet come to PS4 at some point in 2016, either in its original form or as part of a 'Definitive Edition', similar to Tomb Raider's PS4 release this year. We've asked Square for clarity on this point and will let you know when we hear back.

Still, the initial statement from Crystal Dynamics' head of studio Darrell Gallagher is hardly positive from a PlayStation perspective. After talking about building a partnership with Microsoft he goes on to 'placate' PS4 fans with the following…

"This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4."

The Temple of Osiris? Gee, mister. That's swell! *slow clap* On a serious note, this is undeniably a blow if Rise Of The Tomb Raider ends up missing PS4 entirely given Crofty's near 20-year history on PlayStation and the fact that sale reports point to the PS4 version of Tomb Raider: DE outselling the Xbox version 2:1. For the time being, cross your pick axes the sequel to Croft's cracking reboot will some day hit PS4 shores. Even if it doesn’t, you’ll still have Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End to numb the pain.

And hey, if you're looking for further reason to be cheerful, Sony's 2014 Gamescom press conference (which you can watch athttp://edge1.streamingtank.tv/clients/sony/live.php from 6pm UK time) is real close, and is bound to contain announcments that will ease the complete lack of Lara, Lara laughs we're feeling right now.

The Final Offer

@Vergil'sBitch This could be a respond from Microsoft to Uncharted.

It probably is and that just shows us that MS isn't capable of making anything on their own.

The deal is that, before today, Tomb Raider was multiplatform and was announced as multiplatform. Whomever is behind this developer is going to be shocked, appalled, and ashamed. This KIND OF THING is misleading and confusing.

From here on marks the day that gamers can't trust announcements 100%. Especially the announcements from Crystal Dynamics.

****! We just went backwards in gaming.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
I personally think that Square Enix did one of the worst moves ever in gaming history. In this case, Square Enix has alienated all of the Tomb Raider fans who are PlayStation fans. Last year's Tomb Raider reboot has a huge success in all consoles (despite Square Enix's 'poor' forecast sales), and the latest Definitive Edition did well on current generation consoles as well. What bothers is that the series was never exclusive to either Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony as all games have multi-platform releases.

I predict three things:

1) The game will be exclusive for a certain period of time, and will be available in other consoles. This may only happen if the sales of the game is generally poor and fans may enough noise to Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics to demand for the game to be ported for PC and PS4.

2) The game will remain exclusive for Xbox One if the sales is high enough.

3) The game will have poor sales.

Regardless, this is a major stepback from the previous game's release. As a PlayStation fan, I am extremely disappointed.

Last edited:

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
@Vergil'sBitch This could be a respond from Microsoft to Uncharted.

That's what I was thinking.

It probably is and that just shows us that MS isn't capable of making anything on their own.

The deal is that, before today, Tomb Raider was multiplatform and was announced as multiplatform. Whomever is behind this developer is going to be shocked, appalled, and ashamed. This KIND OF THING is misleading and confusing.

From here on marks the day that gamers can't trust announcements 100%. Especially the announcements from Crystal Dynamics.

****! We just went backwards in gaming.

I was going to buy the 'definitive edition' of Tomb Raider, but after that, Crystal Dynamics can go fudge themselves... I won't be lining their pockets anymore.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I personally think that Square Enix did one of the worst moves ever in gaming history. In this case, Square Enix has alienated all of the Tomb Raider fans who are PlayStation fans. Last year's Tomb Raider reboot has a huge success in all consoles (despite Square Enix's 'poor' forecast sales), and the latest Definitive Edition did well as well on current generation consoles. What bothers is that the series was never exclusive to either Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony as all games have multi-platform releases.

I predict three things:

1) The game will be exclusive for a certain period of time, and will be available in other consoles. This may only happen if the sales of the game is generally poor and fans may enough noise to Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics to demand for the game to be ported for PC and PS4.

2) The game will remain exclusive for Xbox One if the sales is high enough.

3) The game will have poor sales.

Regardless, this is a major stepback from the previous game's release. As a PlayStation fan, I am extremely disappointed.

Well, they've used the words 'timed exclusive'. So, it could still come out for PS4 or it'll also be out on PC at some point. I think they said that the definitive edition on PS4 was outselling the X1 version 2:1.
It is totally unfair to PS fans of the game. Okay, so we have Uncharted, but Lara should've had a game released on the Playstation to celebrate her 20 years in gaming.

I was also wondering if this decision was made because the PS4 is getting Final Fantasy Type-0 (or is that multi-platform)?

The Final Offer

They have to announce Final Fantasy 15 as exclusive to PS4.
They have to announce Legacy of Kain as exclusive to PS4.

That is the only way I'd be ok with them again. I'm not for this multiplaform game going exclusive and these ****s just released the Remastered edition LIKE it was going to continue the franchise on each platform.

I shouldn't be upset about it, having Tomb Raider right beside me as I type this and I barely played it (just getting my gf past a part or two.) It's just announcements like these cause problems HUGE problems.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Well, they've used the words 'timed exclusive'. So, it could still come out for PS4 or it'll also be out on PC at some point. I think they said that the definitive edition on PS4 was outselling the X1 version 2:1.
It is totally unfair to PS fans of the game. Okay, so we have Uncharted, but Lara should've had a game released on the Playstation to celebrate her 20 years in gaming.

I was also wondering if this decision was made because the PS4 is getting Final Fantasy Type-0 (or is that multi-platform)?

The problem is that Uncharted series belonged to Sony, so it makes sense if the Uncharted games developed for PlayStation consoles only. Tomb Raider series? The games were made for lots of consoles and have no exclusivity. If one of Xbox exclusive games were released for PS4, I bet lots of people will be complaining, like Alan Wake's sequel being developed for PS4 only.

Final Fantasy Type-0 is another horrible case. Completely skipping out PS Vita and PSP fans? Not cool to me. The game will be released for both PS4 and Xbox One.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Won't be the last game/developer that does this, Sony will throw cash at someone (did it with Bungie & timed exclusive Destiny content & bundle) & Microsoft will too. Nature of the industry to seal exclusives unfortunately be them permanent or timed & both do it. Sucks it's not multi format anymore as I would always want as many people to play a game as possible. Still haven't played last one but will soon & if I like it then I shall buy this too.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
The problem is that Uncharted series belonged to Sony, so it makes sense if the Uncharted games developed for PlayStation consoles only. Tomb Raider series? The games were made for lots of consoles and have no exclusivity. If one of Xbox exclusive games were released for PS4, I bet lots of people will be complaining, like Alan Wake's sequel being developed for PS4 only.

Final Fantasy Type-0 is another horrible case. Completely skipping out PS Vita and PSP fans? Not cool to me. The game will be released for both PS4 and Xbox One.

I know the TR games weren't entirely exclusive (apparently it started out on the Sega Saturn... according to the Official Xbox Magazine page commenters), and I know I've seen them on PC release.

It seems like Square Enix are upsetting quite a few fans lately... trouble is, I don't think they've finished.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I can honestly say I am very disappointed at this. I was eager to play the new game and I was extra excited for it.

What p!sses me off the most is the dumb statement they make to try to comfort us by throwing it the temple of Osiris game as been some kind of replacement and reminding us that the original is available on PS4. No S#!t, son, it was that very game that made me want to play your damn sequel to begin with, I've already played that one, I want to play the other one now.

Xbox needs it's exclusives, fine, but I can do without the pandering.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Wow, he is fudging AWESOME! An unbiased opinion with one hell of a collection in the background. :cool:
Thanks for posting that video :D

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
*yawn* as if i care :meh: tomb raider's reboot was a cookiecutter mainstream pandering reboot routine,instead of something unique&original like POP sands of time i have no interest in the franchise anymore it can be an xbox exclusive all it wants in the end it will only impede its own profit.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Phil Spencer has released a statement to say Microsoft DID NOT buy permanent exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider & it will likely come to other platforms but that's Crystal Dynamics choice not Microsofts. It is only a timed deal...

Statement here...

I didn’t buy the IP. I didn’t buy the studio. It’s not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we’ll see what happens with the game. I don’t own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

I don’t own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can’t talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have.

I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I’m not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don’t control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don’t know where else Tomb Raider goes.

Much like the DayZ & No Mans Sky announcements for PS4 & there being no mention of Xbox versions. They aren't allowed to mention other versions but Dean (from DayZ) has said it's not PS4 exclusive as have Hello Games as they are contracted not to directly mention other consoles.​

Top Bottom