• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nintendo X Platinum Games: "Star Fox Zero"

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Framerate is something to actually worry about. If a fast, demanding game doesn't run well, then the concern is actually valid...
...which is why the criticism of Star Fox: Zero makes NO sense whatsoever, since the game runs at a constant and uninterrupted 60fps on both screens at the same time.

Nope!!1! A game with those graphics should run at 120 FPS minimum!!!1!11!

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
Framerate is something to actually worry about. If a fast, demanding game doesn't run well, then the concern is actually valid...
...which is why the criticism of Star Fox: Zero makes NO sense whatsoever, since the game runs at a constant and uninterrupted 60fps on both screens at the same time.

However framrate can always be improved, though I understand your concern. Star Fox Zero looks great (anything made by platinum is great), and I guess people just want something to complain about.

Satsui no Hado

BUY ONE THOUSAND GIFTS!!!
Damn. Looks like I'll be buying that Wii U afterall. ;_;
Make sure to pick up Bayonetta 2 while you're at it, not even just because it's a good game, it's for more Star Fox goodness...
Star%2BFox%2BBayonetta%2B2.jpg

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I guess people just want something to complain about.
The eternal ballad shrieked by fanboys.

When Star Fox 64 came out, they complained it was too easy, right before screeching for EVERY GAME afterwards to be an exact clone of 64. When Star Fox Assault came out, they complained about running around on-foot, even though having a mercenary like Fox McCloud hunt his enemies with a full arsenal of weapons to accompany his vehicles made infinitely more sense than swinging a Magical Staff around in Star Fox Adventures. They complain that the series isn't enough like Mass Effect or No Man's Sky, they complain about the series using puppet dramas and movies like Top Gun as inspiration, they complain about characters like Krystal and Wolf, and the ONE instance where the series attempts to condense all past experiments for a safe experience replicating the game they've been whining for Nintendo to make for years, and they're STILL complaining.

If I could hate these people death, I certainly would...and I would do it in hordes.

Good to hear there's going to be a brand new entry for this series after nearly a decade.
You have no idea. Keep in mind, the last entry we had in the series was the wretched abhorrence that is Star Fox Command. That'd be like DMC taking a decade-long hiatus after DMC2.

In the midst of all the recently-resurrected Nintendo franchises, this game is a freaking godsend.

Damn. Looks like I'll be buying that Wii U afterall. ;_;
Welcome. Take a seat. Here's a Game Pad.
Prepare to lose your college fund on eShop Virtual Console games with the rest of us.
Make sure to pick up Bayonetta 2 while you're at it, not even just because it's a good game, it's for more Star Fox goodness...
You aren't wrong.
11402709_10153426035674025_7937352554611398205_n.jpg

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
The eternal ballad shrieked by fanboys.

When Star Fox 64 came out, they complained it was too easy, right before screeching for EVERY GAME afterwards to be an exact clone of 64. When Star Fox Assault came out, they complained about running around on-foot, even though having a mercenary like Fox McCloud hunt his enemies with a full arsenal of weapons to accompany his vehicles made infinitely more sense than swinging a Magical Staff around in Star Fox Adventures. They complain that the series isn't enough like Mass Effect or No Man's Sky, they complain about the series using puppet dramas and movies like Top Gun as inspiration, they complain about characters like Krystal and Wolf, and the ONE instance where the series attempts to condense all past experiments for a safe experience replicating the game they've been whining for Nintendo to make for years, and they're STILL complaining.

If I could hate these people death, I certainly would...and I would do it in hordes.

You have no idea. Keep in mind, the last entry we had in the series was the wretched abhorrence that is Star Fox Command. That'd be like DMC taking a decade-long hiatus after DMC2.

In the midst of all the recently-resurrected Nintendo franchises, this game is a freaking godsend.

Welcome. Take a seat. Here's a Game Pad.
Prepare to lose your college fund on eShop Virtual Console games with the rest of us.

You aren't wrong.

This is pretty much what happened with Wind Waker Zelda. People bitched and moaned about it, then when the next one came out they bitched and moaned about it not being like Wind Waker.

I'm starting to think that most people actually don't enjoy gaming, but instead just want something to cry and complain about.

WolfOD64

Sorry for the ignorance, but never really got into Star Fox... I know basically nothing about it.
Don't worry about it....besides, that practice has never been exclusive only to Star Fox. Nintendo doesn't port their first-party games to ANY non-Nintendo system. The day they go multi-platform is the day they take the software-only approach like SEGA.

Well... shame, gonna skip it. Not gonna buy a console for one game. Maybe in the future...
That's understandable. The lure to purchasing a new console isn't one or two games one is "interested in", but exclusives that a consumer will literally buy another system for.

As much as I like Smash 4, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors, I didn't buy a Wii U just for them. They're nice bonuses, but not the core entree to make me buy a console. But the moment Miyamoto stated his interest in possibly making a Star Fox game for the Wii U, I bought it without a second's hesitation.

Why? Because I've been waiting for a new Star Fox for almost a decade. It's the same reason Kingdom Hearts fans bought a next-gen console, or the reason Halo fans bought the Xbox One. They have an IP they cherish above all others, that the next-gen brought to them.

Just wait for a Nintendo Exclusive that really warrants the purchase of a Wii U for you. Most people I know are buying one in December just to play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

WolfOD64

MORE INFORMATION REVEALED ON STAR FOX ZERO:

tumblr_nuf0oeXpHp1s2z1y6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nuf0oeXpHp1s2z1y6o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nuf0oeXpHp1s2z1y6o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nuf0oeXpHp1s2z1y6o4_1280.jpg
Courtesy of Weekly Famitsu
  • All the original Voice Actors from Star Fox 64 3D, including Mike West as Fox, will be reprising their roles
  • Each level will have branching pathways throughout the planet, depending on which vehicle the player decides to use at certain points of the level
  • The briefing scenes will be brisk and at the beginning of each level in the same fashion as Star Fox 64 (which is good news to anyone who didn't like the excessive briefing from games like Star Fox Assault or Command)
  • Online Play is currently being implemented, but no official details are available to present at the moment

WolfOD64

"The game doesn't look finished."
"Where's the polish? I thought this was a Platinum game?"
"How are they going to find the time to implement multiplayer?"

Nintendo, in a shocking turn of listening to consumer feedback, has listened to the woes of many and have decided to delay the release of Star Fox Zero to the first quarter of 2016:

"We have been developing Star Fox Zero for Wii U with the aim of releasing it this year. Although we felt that the development had been progressing well, we now believe that we will need a little more time to work on areas such as the unprecedented discovery that we want players to experience in the game by using two screens, and further polishing the level designs and perfecting the tone of the cut scenes."
---Shigeru Miyamoto

This might stir up disappointment for, you know, the five people on this planet that are actually looking forward to this game (my humble self included), but after mulling it over, I'm actually alright with this decision. For one thing, releasing it in November might've been problematic, seeing as Star Wars Battlefront comes out the same week...so that would've dented sales tremendously.

That, and the fact that Nintendo tends to release their games in near-pristine condition, without the need for patches or remedies to technical issues. If they feel the game needs more polish, I'd rather they delay it than release an unfinished mess. I also took an particular notice in that last sentence: "perfecting the tone of the cut scenes." That peaks my interest in many levels, since the footage from game trailers for Zero seemed to imply that the cutscenes would follow the minimalist fashion of Star Fox 64, right down to its briefing transmissions.

It might be a fool's hope, but I'd really like Platinum to put their all in the cutscenes to deliver even half of the visceral splendor that Assault gave to the series.

EDIT: One interesting note is that the Nintendo Japan Twitter page announced the game's release as "Spring 2016" for Japan. Seeing as the game was intended for a simultaneous worldwide release, that'd be a safe estimate for the U.S. release as well.

WolfOD64

STAR FOX ZERO RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED
Star Fox Related Stuff @ 25:31
star-fox-zero-wallpaper-03-1920x1200.jpg

star-fox-zero-wallpaper-01-1920x1200.jpg
star-fox-zero-wallpaper-02-1920x1200.jpg

In a juicy, detail-ridden Nintendo Direct this afternoon, the Big N revealed the release date for the triumphant return of the Star Fox Team as April 22nd, 2016. The Direct info section featured:
  • Some new gameplay footage, confirming both Sector Z and Fichina as returning planets
  • Confirming both Mike West and Lyssa Brown as Fox and Slippy, respectively (the former of which, sounds much better than he did in Smash Bros., from what the footage indicates)
  • The Landmaster's new hover mode as "Gravmaster Mode"
The recently-launched official website also confirms Online Support, but the actual features of said mode are still unknown. Whether it's online co-op or a full-blown Online Dogfight Multiplayer Mode remains to be seen.

Good to see my most anticipated game of the decade finally has a release date....I just wish it didn't coincide with the release of the new Deus Ex. April is just going to deflower my wallet.

WolfOD64

JAPANESE STAR FOX ZERO FOOTAGE (NOT FEATURED IN DIRECT)
Some more gameplay footage that wasn't featured in the North American Nintendo Direct.
Also...Capcom has an interesting promotion for Monster Hunter X that I approve of:
MHX-Star-Fox-Collabo-Ann.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

20151112_152146_thumb.png

Top Bottom