• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nintendo X Platinum Games: "Star Fox Zero"

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
That entire segment is a massive homage to the original games on the Super Nintendo. Just watching that stage sent me flashbacks of the Space Armada level from the very first game, where you dive into numerous flying fortresses and demolish them from the inside.

The emphasis on rewarding exploration also intrigues me. The one thing I hope they'll implement, among many things, was Assault's system of wingmates rewarding you with shields and bombs every time you saved them.

I was actually reminded of the parts in Star Fox 2 where you infiltrate the battleships, fight enemies inside them and demolish their cores.

And yeah, I am hoping the levels are bigger to make that exploration thing more worth it. And saving wingmates and actually getting rewarded for it will be nice too.

Satsui no Hado

BUY ONE THOUSAND GIFTS!!!
Question; this is a reboot right? As in; Krystal, Aparoids, the oddness that was Star Fox Command all gone? Because if so, I will unfortunately miss Krystal, despite what Command did to her character, I still enjoyed having her in the series.

In any other case, I remember from the gameplay they showed, Fox was battling a ship with a "W" label......oh please tell me it's who I think it is ;_;

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Question; this is a reboot right? As in; Krystal, Aparoids, the oddness that was Star Fox Command all gone? Because if so, I will unfortunately miss Krystal, despite what Command did to her character, I still enjoyed having her in the series.
I thought so....at first.
The only games Nintendo denounce from their respective canons are the ones they outright refuse to distribute: games like BS F-Zero, Hotel Mario, and the Zelda CD-I games.

Shortly after the announcement of Star Fox Zero, Nintendo announced that Command would be available on the eShop as a downloadable title...so that, if anything, confirms that they aren't omitting the GameCube or DS games. Also, they were promoting the living hell out of Assault in the new Smash Bros., where the Assault Arwings, Aparoids, and Orbital Gate stage all appeared prominently.

My guess is that they're trying to redo Star Fox 64 through Zero, and add everything they wanted to do with the series in that game, but couldn't. That's probably why elements from the cancelled Star Fox 2---like the transformable Arwing, coin collecting, and infiltration of enemy bases---are being implemented.
They're probably trying to slip it into the canon as the "definitive" version of Star Fox 64, rather than a full-scale reboot.

In any other case, I remember from the gameplay they showed, Fox was battling a ship with a "W" label......oh please tell me it's who I think it is ;_;
Already confirmed.
It wouldn't be a Star Fox game without Fox's one true rival in the game.

WolfOD64

Other Gameplay Info Not Revealed in Video Diary:

• The Gyro Controls on the Gamepad can be switched on/off, and swapped to from the Pad to the TV, to recreate the first-person cockpit view from Star Fox on SNES
  • Monolith Soft was the original candidate for 3rd-Party development of Star Fox Zero, but Platinum was chosen instead due to their experience with creating "visceral and exciting spectacles", which Miyamoto feels is "quintessential" to Star Fox as an essence
  • The game is a re-telling of the Lylat Wars from Star Fox 64, in an attempt to create what Nintendo originally envisioned for the game, but couldn't do within the technical limitations of the N64. Essentially, it's what Tomb Raider Anniversary is: a soft re-imagining that replaces the original in the canon without changing anything
  • The graphical style was chosen to uphold a 100%-stable 60fps on both the TV and GamePad, as well as catering to an art style Miyamoto stated would "stand out against all the identical attempts at realism that other games on the market are doing"
  • In-Game Story Events revolve around immediate actions and set-pieces, in the same fashion as Star Fox 64, so that the game will almost never have to break the flow of the game to go into cutscenes
  • Anyone owning a Fox or Falco amiibo will unlock a little in-game bonus
  • English VA's haven't been recorded as of yet (which is why you only hear Japanese voices in the demo build). Mike West's Fox McCloud voice in the trailer might just be a place-holder voice for the new talent.
  • Local Co-op for the campaign is being focused on, but may require a Wii-Mote and Nunchuck for the 2nd Player

WolfOD64

CHARACTER RENDERS
Star-Fox-21.jpg

Star-Fox-41.jpg

Star-Fox-11.jpg

Star-Fox-31.jpg

WolfOD64

Dunno anything about Star Fox, but isn't your avatar from that series, @WolfOD64?

Is he not in this game?
Wolf O'Donnell is indeed from the Star Fox series. He's the chief rival for Fox McCloud and remains my favorite Nintendo character ever.
latest

And yes, he has been confirmed to reappear in Star Fox Zero. His design for the new game hasn't been revealed yet.

Can I use the gamepad?
If by game pad you mean the Wii U Game Pad, then yes. If you mean the Pro Controller, I would assume no. The entire game is centered around the Game Pad being on at all times, but if Nintendo changes its mind and allows Pro Controller support, I'll post it here.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Wolf O'Donnell is indeed from the Star Fox series. He's the chief rival for Fox McCloud and remains my favorite Nintendo character ever.
latest

And yes, he has been confirmed to reappear in Star Fox Zero. His design for the new game hasn't been revealed yet.

If by game pad you mean the Wii U Game Pad, then yes. If you mean the Pro Controller, I would assume no. The entire game is centered around the Game Pad being on at all times, but if Nintendo changes its mind and allows Pro Controller support, I'll post it here.
I meant pro controller, my bad. I really would rather use that over any other scheme.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
i really hope there are unlockable sunglasses like when you played expert mode on 64
so fox can look like his dad

or better yet have James Mccloud be unlockable for bonus missions or a mini prequel campaign

WolfOD64

I meant pro controller, my bad. I really would rather use that over any other scheme.
Given the control scheme, I don't think a Pro Controller would change much.
Let me clarify:
ZL is Shoot, and L-Stick is for flying.
R-Stick forward is boost.
R-Stick back is break.
Double-Tap R-Stick in either direction is Barrel Roll.
The Gyro Controls are for aiming.
The Face buttons are for transforming.

Trust me. Pro Controller ain't gonna make much difference.
i really hope there are unlockable sunglasses like when you played expert mode on 64
so fox can look like his dad
I bet that's what the amiibo unlockable is.

or better yet have James Mccloud be unlockable for bonus missions or a mini prequel campaign
I wouldn't count on it. Miyamoto said no DLC or purchasable modes, even through amiibo.
On wishful thinking, though, I'd rather have them make an amiibo of Wolf. Or, you know...maybe add him to Smash 4...
Heh..heh...(CRIES)...

WolfOD64

I knew it. I f^cking KNEW it.
All those people throwing a hissy-fit over the graphics of the game, saying that the game looks like it's from the "GameCube/PS2" era can take a breather, because Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that the gameplay shown was explicitly from the E3 build, and that the "the graphics will get better when the final game releases."

This is the product of superficial thinking in gaming nowadays. Square Enix can regurgitate a pre-rendered cutscene for FF7's remake with absolutely no gameplay whatsoever, and fanboys will cream themselves into a ecstasy-ridden stupor...but when Nintendo shows off a game in its early build, with ACTUAL GAMEPLAY, all people care about is what it looks like graphically.

And as someone who has a GameCube, and played Star Fox: Assault till the graphical detail was grafted into their eye-lids, may I politely inquire as to WHAT GameCube was capable of displaying THESE kind of visuals? Call me crazy, but I have yet to see a Star Fox game that outputs in 1080p, has the lighting, scorching, and shine effects that it does, and sporting more slicker and nuanced exteriors for the Arwings.

You people have been absolutely spoiled by next-gen hardware. You deserve putrid embarrassments like the Order: 1886.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
all people care about is what it looks like graphically.

It's pretty much what's happening with Fallout 4 too. Bethesda showed a trailer at E3 showing off a crapload of awesome content in the game, but people still insist on talking about its graphics.

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
because Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that the gameplay shown was explicitly from the E3 build, and that the "the graphics will get better when the final game releases."

This is sort of what's going on with Scalebound right now. Lots of people b**hing and complaining about the framerate and textures when the game is more than a year away from release. Kind of makes me sick and wish gamers weren't a bunch of entitled pricks.

WolfOD64

This is sort of what's going on with Scalebound right now. Lots of people b**hing and complaining about the framerate and textures when the game is more than a year away from release. Kind of makes me sick and wish gamers weren't a bunch of entitled pricks.
Framerate is something to actually worry about. If a fast, demanding game doesn't run well, then the concern is actually valid...
...which is why the criticism of Star Fox: Zero makes NO sense whatsoever, since the game runs at a constant and uninterrupted 60fps on both screens at the same time.

Top Bottom