• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Vergil or Devil May Cry 3 Vergil?

Vergillicious

You will not forget this devil's power!
First of all if this thread has already been made I apologize I haven't been on here in a great while.

In my opinion Vergil for DMC3 cause he was badass and actually fit for the role he was designed to play. But I can't really say that the new one didn't cause I never played the game not really interested. Plus the way the original dressed and his style..everything about him was just..amazing. They really should have made a back story for him.

when I saw the new Vergil I died inside..lol Nelo Angelo I died a little inside as well..b-but..not the new one hence like I said I never even played the game.

DarkSlayer54

For me, it's too early to say.

DMC3's Vergil's fate was already sealed prior to his creation... not to mention most of his character revolves around pure assumptions.

My idea of a good Vergil, is a Vergil with good intentions. DmC's Vergil had good intentions, though his morals differed from Dante's. I love that... what I don't like, is that it seems that his fate will match Vergils fate from previous games.
..but, you know... funny thing is, I use to tell myself that I would love it if they rebooted the series and tied everything together.... and yet, I dislike the idea of having Vergil killed off.

when it comes to Vergil I won't ever be satisfied. The best outcome I can hope for is that Vergil becomes a puppet like in DMC1... worst case scenario, he becomes insane and eventually gets killed. My idea of 'awesome' is how Stephan and Damon treat eachother in Vampire Diaries... only, with more hatred. Like, I would love it if Dante and Vergil continued to hate each other, but yet... neither one could bare to see the other die.
Which is why having Dante kill Vergil would be the worse possible outcome ever... completely goes against my assumptions of DMC3, and my general thoughts about Dante and Vergil.

All in all, I guess it all comes down to Vergil's fate. I'll have to wait and see.

Onecrazymonkey1

I love both Vergils but as much as I might get flamed for this.....I think I prefer the new vergil. Dmc Vergil may be Mr. charisma and smiles on the surface but he also seems slightly more manipulative and slimy, there is a cold pompous arrogant side in him that fascinates me. DMC3 Vergil was pretty cold and arrogant in his own right but it seemed like he was incapable of hiding it. I honestly think the new Vergil would make the perfect politician. lol

They both fit in their respective settings perfectly in my opinion and would be out of place in each others worlds.

However my favorite line will always be "foolishness Dante foolishness"

Vergillicious

You will not forget this devil's power!
I love both Vergils but as much as I might get flamed for this.....I think I prefer the new vergil. Dmc Vergil may be Mr. charisma and smiles on the surface but he also seems slightly more manipulative and slimy, there is a cold pompous arrogant side in him that fascinates me. DMC3 Vergil was pretty cold and arrogant in his own right but it seemed like he was incapable of hiding it. I honestly think the new Vergil would make the perfect politician. lol

They both fit in their respective settings perfectly in my opinion and would be out of place in each others worlds.

However my favorite line will always be "foolishness Dante foolishness"
I'm not going to get mad at all. Besides my thread was meant for others opinions. I'm just used to the original is all and he has always been my favorite character ever. Moments in DMC3 he seemed more of a neutral character then a bad villain. Arkam was more evil than Vergil. Especially when it came to the fight with the Arkam blob they needed to team up. And Vergil wanted to be the one to kill Dante or no one could.

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
I think if you smashed them together, with a little tweaking, they would make a perfect singular character. New Vergil lacks that cocksure swagger, skill, and brutality that made classic Vergil so appealing, but he's got more vulnerabilities and ideals that give him depth, make him seem more like his own person and less like a foil who exists only to make Dante's life difficult. But those same flaws that make new Vergil more complex also make him less admirable. Classic Vergil was a warrior, with a warrior's pride and straightforwardness and a minimum of (highly flexible) honor, while new Vergil is underhanded and sly, a politician as mentioned above, selling snakeoil to the ignorant masses and delegating as many tasks as he can get away with to other people instead of fighting his own battles. I could also take classic Vergil more seriously as a force to reckon with, whereas new Vergil isn't half as intimidating.

So, I dunno. It's a weird toss-up. Like I said, if more of the classic Vergil had been integrated into the new Vergil, I'd love him much more.

DarkSlayer54

I think if you smashed them together, with a little tweaking, they would make a perfect singular character. New Vergil lacks that cocksure swagger, skill, and brutality that made classic Vergil so appealing, but he's got more vulnerabilities and ideals that give him depth, make him seem more like his own person and less like a foil who exists only to make Dante's life difficult. But those same flaws that make new Vergil more complex also make him less admirable. Classic Vergil was a warrior, with a warrior's pride and straightforwardness and a minimum of (highly flexible) honor, while new Vergil is underhanded and sly, a politician as mentioned above, selling snakeoil to the ignorant masses and delegating as many tasks as he can get away with to other people instead of fighting his own battles. I could also take classic Vergil more seriously as a force to reckon with, whereas new Vergil isn't half as intimidating.

So, I dunno. It's a weird toss-up. Like I said, if more of the classic Vergil had been integrated into the new Vergil, I'd love him much more.
But, at the same time... Vergil couldn't exactly show us anything. Throughout DmC he was forced to rely on Dante to avoid being discovered. Even during Mundus he was trapped inside the giant to fight Mundus's body... and heck, for me he didn't even seem like he was trying during his fight against Dante. Throughout the fight, he seemed like he was completely holding back... and was ultimately caught off by surprise.
I would assume he was actually stronger than Dante.

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
But, at the same time... Vergil couldn't exactly show us anything. Throughout DmC he was forced to rely on Dante to avoid being discovered. Even during Mundus he was trapped inside the giant to fight Mundus's body... and heck, for me he didn't even seem like he was trying during his fight against Dante. Throughout the fight, he seemed like he was completely holding back... and was ultimately caught off by surprise.

True, you can assume that, based on meta information about Vergil in the DMC mythos, but unlike DMC3, it's not proven or even implied in the context of the game by itself. The fight with Mundus was Vergil's main opportunity to prove he was as capable as Dante despite being forced to hide most of the game, and he shouts for help, gets captured, and is largely passive. To say nothing of him needing Dante to rescue him from the Tyrant back at the Order. As for his fight with Dante, I also got the impression Vergil was playing with Dante much like he did in the first fight in DMC3, until it was suggested (using Kat) that Dante could have killed him. If he was the stronger fighter, but stupid enough to almost die playing around, then that adds to what I said about his deeper flaws making him more complex than he was before, but also harder to respect.

There's still DLC for Vergil to show off in, and maybe we'll find out the whole weaker-than-thou thing was a careful ruse meant to give Dante a false sense of security and enable Vergil to pull the rug out from under him in all due time, but I really doubt it.

DarkSlayer54

True, you can assume that, based on meta information about Vergil in the DMC mythos, but unlike DMC3, it's not proven or even implied in the context of the game by itself. The fight with Mundus was Vergil's main opportunity to prove he was as capable as Dante despite being forced to hide most of the game, and he shouts for help, gets captured, and is largely passive. To say nothing of him needing Dante to rescue him from the Tyrant back at the Order. As for his fight with Dante, I also got the impression Vergil was playing with Dante much like he did in the first fight in DMC3, until it was suggested (using Kat) that Dante could have killed him. If he was the stronger fighter, but stupid enough to almost die playing around, then that adds to what I said about his deeper flaws making him more complex than he was before, but also harder to respect.

There's still DLC for Vergil to show off in, and maybe we'll find out the whole weaker-than-thou thing was a careful ruse meant to give Dante a false sense of security and enable Vergil to pull the rug out from under him in all due time, but I really doubt it.
Hmm, yeah, you're right.
I guess Vergil was actually just rusty during their fight, which would also explain why he was taking it slow. I guess Vergil's downfall will show his true capabilities.

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts

The way I see it, Vergil started off as being the stronger brother at the start of the the game, when Dante hadn't recovered and awaken his full nephilim habilities. In the end, however, Dante ended up overpowering his brother and Vergil was too over-confident on his own power and intellect that he didn't realize it until he received a good ass-whooping.

My guess for Vergil's Downfall is that it will deal with Vergil's hurt pride after his defeat by Dante, who also ruined his plans for a world utopia under his rule.

Think about it, it could be a great, great opportunity for bringing back the "I must have more power" aspect of classic Vergil, but this time with a good and fully explained reason, rather than just an assumption like it was on DMC3.

Roxas

DmC Vergil for me. He has a lot more context in-game than DMC3 Vergil, so I guess that's the reason.
Really waiting for Vergil's Downfall to see if he plays anything like in DMC3, because I really loved playing as Vergil. :lol:
Yamato is just so badass. :cool:

Onecrazymonkey1

See, I almost feel like he didn't take Dante seriously either; I'm under the impression he thought it was just a brotherly spat and after beating him into submission Dante would try to understand things his way etc. To me, he just seemed really shocked that Dante would actually try to kill him. I can't count how many times I fought with my brother growing up and afterwards we just shrugged it off like it wasn't a big deal. Personally I'm a little shocked myself that it took Kat to stop Dante.

That's why I feel in the new dlc he will gain some of classic vergils fierceness (I do not want him to become another nelo angelo though, I want something different)

I could be making excuses for his passiveness though. :/

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
No, I think that's it, he was looking to bloody Dante's nose and teach him a lesson, and ended up seeing that Dante lost control to his demonic half, and probably got a good look at the raw power of an unhindged Devil Trigger. I would need to play that scene again, but it looks almost like he was horrified by what happened at the end, like he didn't expect it to go that far. So when Dante had control of himself again, it's why he helped Vergil up, trying to say "we're still brothers"...and Vergil lost it.

Least that's what I get out of it

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
DMC3 Vergil for me since he is actually capable in combat. DmC Vergil only shows some skills during the final boss fight but otherwise he does pretty much nothing combat wise in the other cutscenes in DmC.

EllDawn

I have to say I prefer DmC Vergil. I loved the original, but I got so attached to the new one while playing the game that I got emotional in the end. Not many things do that. Besides, it's nice to see a Vergil that shows more emotion.

For me, DMC3 Vergil all the way. He proved himself to be the epitome of badass in his first couple appearances. New Vergil, due to his softie upbringing by rich people, didn't have the same amazing flair as DMC3 Vergil did. Sure, DMC3 Vergil lack a good back story. But it is very effective IMO cause he is one of the main antagonists. A villain shrouded in mystery that gives little hints at his past is much better than a "wrong thing for the right reason" type character like New Vergil. Also, for me, the DT's in DmC are silly looking so DMC3 Vergil hs that as well

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
DmC Vergil because the old one was always lame and dressed stupid. Like a dumb pirate. He couldn't get more generic if he tried.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
DMC3 Vergil. He was always impressive and enjoyable character in DMC3. I also liked unexpected decision to team him up with Dante at the end. I always loved characters making unexpected decision. Overall I enjoyed his every appearance and how he tried not to be Dante's copy. Fight atop of Tem-Ni-Gru was one of the most impressive fight in all games.
I don't like DmC Vergil at all. Attempt to make him not-transparent villain, failed midway as it became obvious he's evil. His cowardice tactics looked more pitiful than threatening., and he's final confrontation with Dante, where he ran with his tail between legs sealed this impression.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
DmC for character
DMC3 for battle

DmC Vergil was a better character compared to DMC3 Vergil in this sense; PERSONALITY.

In DMC3, Vergil was pretty much the "I'm Date's opposite" character. Where Dante was cocky, Vergil was serious. Where Dante was playful, Vergil was business. Where Dante wanted to save the world, Vergil wanted to destroy it. It was the same old bullsh*t that plays out in anime and it's been done to death over and over again. With DmC, Vergil wasn't evil nor did he have evil intentions. He wanted to rule so that he could keep the humans under a watchful eye like a king. He actually wanted to save humanity, but was going about it in a way that was just like Mundus instead of giving humans freedom over their lives. But as the DLC shows, he began to submerge into his lust for power to not only surpass Dante, but to prove that his way was the correct way for the humans to live. After which he was corrupted with power and ended up having a completely mixed view on his original goal and instead created a corrupt empire that he believes is better for humanity.
THAT'S a character. Not that "I need more power" monotone personality that only has one purpose. At least that's how I see it. DMC3 Vergil was just power-hungry. He had no other real characteristics besides being selfish, arrogant, and the token bad guy. Him helping Dante at the end wasn't a surprise at all. That's what all token bad guys in anime do and I wasn't surprised in the slightest by their so-called "unexpected" team work. Please.

Now for battling and ruthlessness in battle, I give that to DMC3 Vergil.

I found DmC Vergil's way of carrying out battles too arrogant. I know he needed to hide his presence so that he's not easily discovered, however that didn't help that fact that he could've taken that tyrant in the Order's hideout with no problem. He could've at least fought it since I doubt that the demon would just go back to Mundus right away since it'd be dead by Vergil. Plus the fact that Vergil was pulled into Limbo and only Nephilim can get pulled in to Limbo would've easily raised more questions for the demon. But it's just a mindless drone demon so I doubt it took that into consideration. And then there's the battle of Mundus where was captured way to easily, and finally the final battle. But I do agree that Vergil wasn't going fully serious with Dante and was just playing with him the whole time until Dante realized that the fight was meaningless. Vergil almost dies, but runs away, only to get more powerful and comeback with a serious thirst to kill Dante. Of course he couldn't have been this in their fight because he still cared for his brother during that time and actually didn't want to kill him. It was only after Dante almost offed him that he became a killer after Dante's head.
However DMC3 Vergil gets it for me in ruthlessness. Unlike DmC Vergil, Vergil in DMC3 had no problem stabbing his brother in the gut to achieve his goals. He had no quarrels with slicing through demons left and right and betraying the people he worked with to achieve power. A lousy reason to achieve power of course, but the power, ruthlessness, and carnivorous attitude was what made DMC3 Vergil more deadly. Like a wolf for it's prey.

In conclusion;

DMC3 Vergil has my vote for his powerhouse ruthlessness and his drive to get what he wants, but is a fail character whose just another Sesshomaru to his Inuyasha. (Dante)

DmC Vergil has my vote on personality and a cunning personality hiding the inner monster inside, but is ass when it comes to being intimidating and is the Donatello to his Raphael. (Dante)

Top Bottom