• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Vergil or Devil May Cry 3 Vergil?

berto

I Saw the Devil
better 'posh' than 'princess' like dmc3 vergil.
"FABULOUS."
No, it's not. You can't beat a game full of posh with one clip.

Sides, call him all you want but Posh V never did anything anywhere near as cool as V3 did in any of his action sequences.

berto

I Saw the Devil
What exactly does "posh" mean in this, anyway. You're gonna have to define the term before I can possibly see what you might be seeing >.<
It's a British thing. It's often what you'd call money in England, however, it's gone a little further than that and it refers to those who act like they have money or those that have money but don't have the pedigree but still dress like they do. Basically it's people who dress fancy in England. There more to it than that but if you see a dude wearing a nice suit with a cane that he clearly has no need of and classic style hat he could be called posh. You could argue that it's those who dress older than what they actually are and have a bit of a snobbish attitude, but not been british myself I can only tell you what I've see and what it looks like from this side of my telly.

The thing is Vergil is classic posh. He almost wasn't. The sword could've stayed a sword and the outfit could've stayed a staple of what you might say was a new take on his style, but the fedora just sealed it. The sword became his cane, the outfit became a fancy look, and top it off with his speech and he is posh.

Now, if you would like to become posh first thing you need is a plane ticket to London and the follow these steps:

Edit: By the way, I think I might've given the connotation that been posh is bad thing. That is not necessarily so, it can be, but not always. Here it kinda is because he's almost a stereotype but in general, been posh isn't a negative.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
oh, so it's class envy. ok.

let's just ask for "wealth redistribution" while we're at it.
What exactly does "posh" mean in this, anyway. You're gonna have to define the term before I can possibly see what you might be seeing >.<
shut up. his overly vague definition (before his latest post) was so clear I can't see two inches in front of my face. if it's good enough for him, it should be good enough for you.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
Late to the party. yay.

Talking about gameplay only, I LOVE new Vergil a lot more. It's the perfect blend of the new "freeflow" combat and the classic "single enemy" focused combat.

AND FREE-TELEPORTING. Really now, you never have to actually walk with Vergil while you are fighting. How badass is that?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
No, because that would imply that people who are wealthy can't be posh when in fact they are the origin of the word.
That reminds me of Dolly Parton when she said 'it costs a lot of money to look this cheap'. Some people who have money act and dress as common as muck. Sadly, it happens a lot these days. :rolleyes:

I guess in reference to Vergil as posh, it's because of the stereotypical image of a person with money= snobbish, condescending and prideful.

I wonder what Vergil would sound like if he spoke in the RP (received pronunciation)/ Queens English accent? I'd love to hear that. It would be so funny:laugh: Instead of 'Dante', Vergil would say 'Dahnte'.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think posh is more than just the clothes it's an attitude.

Isn't there anybody british here we would ask? All I know is what I've seen on a few BBC shows and a YouTube video.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I think posh is more than just the clothes it's an attitude.

Isn't there anybody british here we would ask? All I know is what I've seen on a few BBC shows and a YouTube video.
You mean ask what posh means? I guess that would depend who you ask. These are my rathered jumbled ramblings on the subject.

I don't use the word much myself, but I know people who do and what they associate it with. Normally, it isn't very pleasant. Maybe that's due to the Noveau Riche suddenly having money but lacking in any kind of manners; hence the image of posh= people with money, all the things that come with that, and a bad attitude.

Here's an article about it. I'm not sure to whether to take it seriously or not. I guess take it with a grain of salt and a sense of humour. Some of it rings true, other parts are utter drivel:thumbsdown:. But, according to this, only lower class people use the world posh.:rolleyes:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nswer-hinges-favourite-marmalade-buy-M-S.html

I'm from the UK and I do speak with the RP pronunciation. Personally, it's normal for me to speak like that because that's how I was raised and I don't think of it as posh. But through interactions with other people outside of where I was raised, the moment they hear me speak, they either think I will be a snob, have lots of money, be very intelligent, parents buy me eveything or that I will be bossy. It's not a nice way to be perceived purely based on how I speak.

Of course, how people speak is only one part of percieved 'poshness', but that is one of the main indicators that people like to point out.

Usually, I hear the word posh or posh-o from people...I'm not sure how to put this, but 'certain types of people' who think that it is some kind of insult. They usually equate the word with material possessions, food bought, restaurants dined at, holidays taken, nice designer clothes, overly polite manners, private schooling and a RP accent. But that's just my experience of the posh definition, so it's not universal.

I guess everyone has their own variation or image of what 'posh' means to them.

Top Bottom