• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero's origins - What do you think?

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Well, he must have always had white hair otherwise, some of the order members would have inquired about his unusual new hair-colour.

I don't believe he is Sparda's son, as he clearly isn't a half demon and his demonic powers are way weaker compaired to Dante. Even Sanctus said they would prefer to use Dante as a battery to the saviour as he had more of Sparda into him, but they took what they got.

Being a son of Vergil would actually be nice - but not if Vergil just visited a prostitute. If there was a story behind that, it would be nice to know of it. Even the novel made this weird by mentioning a prostitute.

Before the game was available I thought Nero was some sort of experiment, being infused with Sparda's blood from a young age, to adapt and slowly evolve into what he is now. Since Agnus and the rest had no idea he was a demon before the incident with the Yamato though, that theory died.

In the end we know nothing. *sigh*

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Alright, in response to the comments of you both:

1. Nero probably isn't Sparda's son. I conclude this not because of him seeming to be less than a half-demon, but because Sparda died at some point, thus being unable to conceive Nero. I think Sparda died before Eva did, OR he died at the same time as Eva, meaning at the time when Dante was eight.
That means Nero would have to be eight years younger than the twins, making him 21. He's 17 in DMC 4.
Sparda could've died after Eva did, though. Maybe he had Nero with another woman after Eva died.

2. Nero probably isn't Vergil's son, since Vergil would be 29 in DMC 4, just like Dante. That means he would've fathered Nero when he was twelve (29 - 17 = 12).

I believe the DMC 4 novel said that Vergil visited Fortuna. But I got this info second-hand, so I'm not attributing much weight to it. Besides, the DMC 4 novel story is not equal to that of the game.

Tony_Redgrave, your theory of Nero being an experiment could still be valid. As I said in a previous post, he could be some kind of clone of Sparda, left for the Order by the person who created him. This is all speculation, though.

I'm not sure if Nero is without a doubt less than half a demon, since there's concept art of him showing a full Devil Trigger body. If he is a half-demon like the twins, that could mean a relative of Sparda's had a relationship with a human too. That isn't likely, though.

So these are the possibilities:
- Sparda had a child with another woman after Eva's death, making Nero a half-demon as well. Edit: not possible due to Sparda dying before Eva did.
- Nero is a weaker clone of Sparda, created by somebody and left on the steps of the Order of the Sword.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
The reason why he is thought to be Vergil's son is the DMC4 novel. You can read what it's saying if you go into the first page of this post and click the devil's lair link posted by the user berto;)

All in all, I really WANT Nero to be a clone/an experiment or something like that. Having Sparda as a two-timer and Vergil as a brothel-user (nothing wrong with brothels, it only destroys my concept of Vergil) doesn't really do it for me.

I think Sparda died before Eva by the way. In the first Devil May Cry, Dante says (during the last Griffon Battle) to Trish that: "My mother used to tell me that my father always fought for the weak" or something like that, implying that Sparda probably died before Dante was old enough to know him. Eva's stories are probably what fascinated Vergil as well.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It's weird, because the DMC 4 instructions state that Nero is fully human. But if that's true, how the heck can he have white hair, and why did Sanctus call him a 'descendant of Sparda'?

If Capcom would simply state that Dante's age in DMC 4 (29) is false, then Nero could actually be Vergil's son. Though I would find it odd, to say the least. Vergil always hated humans, and he doesn't seem like the sexin' type. And besides that, Nero wouldn't be so similar to Sparda, with the red and blue outfit and the Saviour-like Devil Trigger and stuff.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
We can (only) assume that they stated he is human in the beginning only to have us be amazed by the revelation that in reality he has the blood of Sparda.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Great, thanks for the post! I wanted to know when Sparda died, and thanks to you, I now have the answer :) It was staring me in the face all along :p
So Nero is not another of Sparda's sons.

The possibilities now:

1. Nero is a clone of Sparda/an experiment.
2. Nero is Sparda's reincarnation... probably not. I mean, reincarnation so soon? And such a weak reincarnation as well? If he's his reincarnation, it means he doesn't have Sparda's blood, since reincarnation means 'rebirth through transference of the spirit to a new host body'.

So I'd say he must be Sparda's clone or an experiment.
Unless Sparda had a relative who also had a child with a human -__-

We can (only) assume that they stated he is human in the beginning only to have us be amazed by the revelation that in reality he has the blood of Sparda.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. It would otherwise be very anticlimactic, and it wouldn't raise any questions about the Devil Bringer.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Great, thanks for the post! I wanted to know when Sparda died, and thanks to you, I now have the answer :) It was staring me in the face all along :p
So Nero is not another of Sparda's sons.

No problem, glad to have helped:D

So I'd say he must be Sparda's clone or an experiment.
Unless Sparda had a relative who also had a child with a human -__-

I thought that once. It would be interesting if Sparda had a brother/sister. It could answer some of the questions. At first it strucked me kinda weird since, well Sparda is so (in)famous, so wouldn't there be stuff about his brother as well?

But then remembered that in Harry Potter, Dumbledore who's all famous and powerful and stuff, has a brother as well, and he was barely mentioned at all. So I thought why not? Still prefer Nero to be an experiment though, since if Sparda's bro/sis wasn't as awesome as Sparda, then all the Sparda-hints that DMC4 shows off about Nero, could well..sound a bit stupidXD

Fascinated him in the wrong way. Only the power and not the righteous morality displayed by his father.

Well, to be fair with Vergil, we never learnt what he planned to do with all that power. Maybe it wasn't a bad thing. But yes I see what you mean.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I thought that once. It would be interesting if Sparda had a brother/sister. It could answer some of the questions. At first it strucked me kinda weird since, well Sparda is so (in)famous, so wouldn't there be stuff about his brother as well?

But then remembered that in Harry Potter, Dumbledore who's all famous and powerful and stuff, has a brother as well, and he was barely mentioned at all. So I thought why not? Still prefer Nero to be an experiment though, since if Sparda's bro/sis wasn't as awesome as Sparda, then all the Sparda-hints that DMC4 shows off about Nero, could well..sound a bit stupidXD

Yeah, but the problem with the idea of Sparda having a relative who also had a child with a human, is this:
If Sparda's relationship with a human (Eva) was so legendary, then the relationship between his relative and his/her spouse (also a human) should also be a thing of legend. And yet we've heard nothing about it.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Yeah, but the problem with the idea of Sparda having a relative who also had a child with a human, is this:
If Sparda's relationship with a human (Eva) was so legendary, then the relationship between his relative and his/her spouse (also a human) should also be a thing of legend. And yet we've heard nothing about it.

Not only that, but if he/she came to live on Earth like Sparda did, he/she'd be a disgrace to the other demons, same as Sparda, whether he/she fought them or not. ;)

berto

I Saw the Devil
There is one thing that people keep saying when they read the summary of the DMC4 novel that seems to me like missinterpretation. The woman who left Nero on the doorsteps of the orphanige isn't a prostitute, they thought she was a prostitute because they were common in those days in 4tuna, but that doesn't mean that they are right. I still think that that woman came from somewhere else, outside of 4tuna seeking shelter for their child, not to sleep around and getting paid for it.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
By the way, I'm puzzled by the Yamato Awakens cutscene.

This is what happens:
Nero called for more power, so he got it. His arm (Vergil's soul or Nero himself, but I'd say it was Vergil) pulled Yamato into his grasp. Voilà, Devil Trigger that looks like a cross between Vergil's DT and Nero's DT.
Note the purple aura Nero gets when he grips the Yamato.

Then he does something odd. He lets Agnus escape by cutting a hole into the ceiling.
After his DT wears off, he touches his chest. He looks at his normal hand in amazement, then looks at his Devil Bringer. Consequently, he clenches his Devil Bringer fist and lowers it, almost like he thought: 'Of course', and he starts laughing as though he just realized something.

Why did he start laughing? Because he wasn't hurt in the chest anymore? After all, he was pierced by a Bianco Angelo and a Gladius demon.
Or does he only now realize that he's like Dante, since Dante recovered from the Rebellion in his chest, much like Nero with the Gladius?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
There is one thing that people keep saying when they read the summary of the DMC4 novel that seems to me like missinterpretation. The woman who left Nero on the doorsteps of the orphanige isn't a prostitute, they thought she was a prostitute because they were common in those days in 4tuna, but that doesn't mean that they are right. I still think that that woman came from somewhere else, outside of 4tuna seeking shelter for their child, not to sleep around and getting paid for it.

A woman, you say? This is the first time I've heard of that.
Edit: I just read that part, and yes, they assumed his mother was a prostitute. But I think it wasn't a prostitute.
NOTE: it wasn't stated that a woman left him on the Order's doorstep. They simply found Nero on their doorstep. Or does the DMC 4 novel state otherwise?

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Well, to be fair with Vergil, we never learnt what he planned to do with all that power. Maybe it wasn't a bad thing. But yes I see what you mean.
Well I had a tought about it and I would say he would of use it to kill every demons who stands in his way and to kill his parimary target, Mundus. World domination for the hell of it would be lame as he claims in the manga.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Nero wasn't left at the order of the sword he was left at an orphanige in 4tuna:
http://devils-lair.org/dmc4novel.html
If you haven't read throught it there is little snippits of information here and there.

No, I'm almost positive that Nero was found by the Order of the Sword on their doorstep. Do you, by any chance, have access to the source line of text that confirms your statement? I don't mean the synopsis that you listed as the source; I need the actual source text.

Though I can't find the text that says that Nero was left at the Order's doorstep either. All I can find at the moment is ''an orphan that was adopted by the order of the sword'' (Capcom wikia).

I'll be back tomorrow, I guess.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
By the way, I'm puzzled by the Yamato Awakens cutscene.

This is what happens:
Nero called for more power, so he got it. His arm (Vergil's soul or Nero himself, but I'd say it was Vergil) pulled Yamato into his grasp. Voilà, Devil Trigger that looks like a cross between Vergil's DT and Nero's DT.
Note the purple aura Nero gets when he grips the Yamato.

Then he does something odd. He lets Agnus escape by cutting a hole into the ceiling.
After his DT wears off, he touches his chest. He looks at his normal hand in amazement, then looks at his Devil Bringer. Consequently, he clenches his Devil Bringer fist and lowers it, almost like he thought: 'Of course', and he starts laughing as though he just realized something.

Why did he start laughing? Because he wasn't hurt in the chest anymore? After all, he was pierced by a Bianco Angelo and a Gladius demon.
Or does he only now realize that he's like Dante, since Dante recovered from the Rebellion in his chest, much like Nero with the Gladius?

I think he was amazed that he was alive.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Well, back to the original topic of Nero's origins. This is what I've got:

1. Nero isn't Vergil's son, since Vergil would be 29 in DMC4, while Nero is 17, so Vergil would've conceived Nero when he was 12 (29 - 17 = 12)

2. Nero isn't another son of Sparda, since Sparda died before Eva did, and Dante was 8 when Eva died. So Nero being Sparda's son is impossible. He could be a quarter demon, but he's stronger than he should be because of his ''love for another person, a human''.

3. Nero is NOT Sparda reincarnated, since reincarnation means 'transference of the soul after death to another body', meaning Nero can't have Sparda's blood. It has been stated that he is 'a descendant of Sparda's blood' by Sanctus. 'Blood' can also mean 'persons related through common descent: kindred' (merriam-webster.com).
That means Sanctus meant 'a descendant of Sparda's kindred/relatives'

So the possibilities left are:
- Nero is a weak clone of Sparda (clones do not have to look exactly like the person who was cloned).
- Nero is an experiment left at the orphanage in Fortuna by the person who experimented on him.
- Nero is a descendant of Sparda's kindred, meaning Nero is the son of someone from Sparda's bloodline other than his sons Dante and Vergil (possibly Sparda's sibling, if he had one).

Since demons like Sparda can hide their demonianism (yes, that's the right term), it's possible that he had a relative who conceived Nero. That relative was never really noticed because he/she could assume the form of a human, like Sparda can.
Therefore, I actually find the idea of Nero being the son of one of Sparda's relatives a fairly strong possibility.

Top Bottom