• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero's origins - What do you think?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Just a few things.

1. This leads me to believe the arm is Nero's own arm, NOT Vergil's, since Vergil's arm would only be blue, not red AND blue. I don't think Vergil is 'inside Nero's arm', because how can a spirit be housed inside an arm? It doesn't make sense.

This theory came about from the line 'Power, give me more power.' From the day that Nero got the injury on his arm he heard that voice inside his head and his arm began to change. There is definitly a conection to Vergil but I don't think that it has to do with his arm, I think it's related to the Yamato.

4. He may have been intended to be a half-demon like Dante and Vergil, since his concept art shows him sporting a full-body Devil Trigger (see my avatar, that's it).

I think this was meant to show the design of what the full specter behind Nero looks like. In character design you always make everything there is to make even if the audience never sees it or knows of it. I think that it's also meant to show what the rest of the body attatched to that arm would look like.

I read that only full demons and half-demons can have their own full Devil Trigger, so, since Capcom created full-body DT for Nero, that might mean that he's a half-demon, not a quarter demon like he should be if he's Vergil's son.

I don't belive this is true. I still think that he is a decendant of Sparda but not a direct one like the twins.

- Sparda had a child with someone other than Eva. Probably not possible, since he died before Dante and Vergil were born, I believe.

There's been hinting that Dante knew his father.

- Perhaps he wasn't ''left on the steps of the Order'', (I think it sounds suspicious) but he was created by somebody, perhaps by Mundus.

You mean like Trish? Trish's age is a bit ambigues but that would make him older that her since she was created to snear Dante which implies she was created in a recent period to DMC. But if indeed created for what purpose?

Devil May Cry wikia states: ''Devil Trigger (often abbreviated as D.T.) is a special technique possessed by demons and half-demons which allows them to release their full power.''

Of course, I don't consider that line to 'prove' that anything less than a half-demon can't DT.

That would be my argument.
Nero himself has stated that he belives that spectral image behind him is his demonic true form, no implication of been someone else altogether. I belive that his Devil Trigger is himself an noone else, that the precence of Vergil comes from his sword, not the arm.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well from the line "Didn't your daddy teach you how to use a sword?" Iget the impression that it's been implied.
He also mentione how from what he saw he belived that his parents truely loved each other.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Well from the line "Didn't your daddy teach you how to use a sword?" Iget the impression that it's been implied.
He also mentione how from what he saw he belived that his parents truely loved each other.

Forgive me if I'm forgetting - my memory does suck:p - but isn't that line the one Trish tells to Dante in their first meeting?

I remember him saying that apparently Nero was /getting better/ or something, but that's all. ^^;

And the mention of his parents doesn't ring a bell at all *sigh..I haven't played in ages* where was it?XD

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Great post Lionheart! (The first one I meanXD).

Only one question though. How do we know Dante's age is 29 and Nero's 17? I remember Capcom saying some stuff about their age being /about that/ but nothing confirmed. Do you know anything about that? XD

I believe that Capcom stated that DMC4 takes place ten years after DMC3. Since Dante was 19 in DMC3, that makes him 29 in DMC4. He looks about 30 to me, so it's probably correct.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Just a few things.

Yes, I think I agree with just about everything you said.

Nero's DT resembles Vergil, but I think that's because of the Yamato. Nero's DT actually looks like the full-body DT that was drawn (my avatar). This leads me to conclude that the spirit floating around him is actually his own, not Vergil's, even though it looks like Vergil because part of Vergil's soul is inside the Yamato.

Sure, the DT looks like Vergil, but it's got that distinctive halo-like thing starting at its neck that neither Dante nor Vergil has.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Dt looking like Vergil could be just a reference to Nero using the Yamato to DT, as he can't DT on his own.

After all in most DMCs Dante's DT changes according to the Devil Arm. Not completely, but slightly.

For example. Nero's DT uses summoned swords. Not Vergil's but similar. This could be due to that.

sylvanas

One Hell of a Member
EDIT:

i heard from a person who read the dmc 4 novel tht nero was the child of a prostitute :/ im thinking sparda is still alive and running arnd somewhere...tht wudnt make a bad story for DMC 5 though....even if there is NO DMC 5 because there's a reboot!(IT DOESNT NEED A REBOOT WITH SUCH AN UGLY CHARACTER WHO'S NOT BADASS D: ) no offense to those ppl who actually like the reboot....

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Dt looking like Vergil could be just a reference to Nero using the Yamato to DT, as he can't DT on his own.

After all in most DMCs Dante's DT changes according to the Devil Arm. Not completely, but slightly.

For example. Nero's DT uses summoned swords. Not Vergil's but similar. This could be due to that.

Yes, that's what I mean as well. Vergil's essence is housed inside Yamato, which is why even Dante becomes a bit like Vergil when he uses the Dark Slayer style with Yamato.

EDIT:

i heard from a person who read the dmc 4 novel tht nero was the child of a prostitute :/ im thinking sparda is still alive and running arnd somewhere...tht wudnt make a bad story for DMC 5 though....even if there is NO DMC 5 because there's a reboot!(IT DOESNT NEED A REBOOT WITH SUCH AN UGLY CHARACTER WHO'S NOT BADASS D: ) no offense to those ppl who actually like the reboot....

I try not to get the DMC 4 novel mixed up with the story of the game. For all I know, it may not be canon.

This is what I've got so far:

1. Nero is not a son of Sparda, since the story of the previous DMCs revolved around the whole 'two halves of the amulet' thing. Furthermore, I think Sparda died some time before Eva did, and she died when Dante was eight (attacked by demons, and Sparda wasn't there to protect her). That means Sparda couldn't have fathered Nero, right?

2. Nero wasn't created by Mundus, since Mundus was defeated by Dante in DMC 1.

3. Nero is probably not Vergil's son, since their ages don't match. Vergil having a child at the age of twelve with a female human? Not bloody likely.

If he is Vergil's son, then Capcom really failed. I mean, Nero is red and blue. How can red and blue be created out of only blue (Vergil)? Besides, Vergil and Dante would have to be older than Capcom said they are. And on top of that, Vergil had a son with a human? Are you kidding me?
Then again, it would explain why Nero is a lot weaker than Dante. It would mean he's a quarter demon.

So, I think the ideas left are that Nero is either the reincarnation of Sparda, or he's Vergil's son.

BUT I don't like the story of Nero being orphaned and left for the Order. Something fishy about it.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I want to make something clear (this may be my last post):

Nero is obviously very similar to Sparda. Berial seems to find Nero to be more like Sparda than Dante is. He's probably the reincarnation of Sparda. Heck, the Saviour is built to look like Sparda, right? Noticed the huge halo that the Saviour has? Looks a lot like Nero's DT halo.

The blue and red colors that Nero has could be a fail on Capcom's part, though. I did see concept art of Nero wearing only something like dark blue or black. I've also seen concept art in which his clothing is white and light blue.

But it's probably best to ignore the concept art and go with the final product, being Nero wearing blue and red. I do think there's strong symbolism here, the red and blue signifying that he's Sparda reborn, either through reincarnation or cloning. Yes, I said it, he could also be a clone of Sparda. And no, clones do not have to look exactly like the person who's cloned. Appearance also depends on the environment, and the reaction of the clone's cells to various impulses.

So, for me, Nero's:
- somehow a descendant of Sparda, but not his son, meaning that Sparda had a relative that produced Nero. Vergil? Probably not.
- OR he's Sparda reborn, either through cloning or reincarnation. If through cloning, he could've been left for the Order by the scientist who created him.

berto

I Saw the Devil
And the mention of his parents doesn't ring a bell at all *sigh..I haven't played in ages* where was it?XD

From the anime. There are a few refrences in the manga, too, Vergil comenting on how like their father Dante is.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Well, if Nero's not Sparda's reincarnation, (which he probably isn't, since he's much weaker than Sparda) then the idea of him being a weaker clone is still a possibility.
But it's more likely that he's simply related to Sparda. If Sparda had a sibling or whatever who also got into a relationship with a human, then that's where Nero might come from. Wait, that isn't probable at all.

*Sigh*. We're back at 'Nero is Vergil's son', I guess.

I think it's official; Capcom screwed the whole Nero thing up, and they knew it. That's why the original DMC series is discontinued. Yes, the new DmC is a 'reboot of the franchise'. They've stated that multiple times.

No more heroes... just a punk crackhead hooligan conveniently named Dante.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Nero is an incoherent plot hole created by Kobayashi and that's his origins. Anyway, I don't think the truth about his true origins will be reveal any time soon.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Nero was created for the same reasons Dante was re designed and he serves an equel purpose, to bring in more fans that don't knowabout the series.

The last 2 DMC games (4 and reboot) were design with the same philosopy in mind: No one new to the series will understand what's going on so lets have a fresh start with a biggening. Nero was supposed to be the new DMC protagonist for this gaming generation, just go check the Kobayashi interviews where he talks about how the new system deserves a new hero and so on.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Yeah, there's probably no explanation as to who Nero is. It's a plothole, and that's all it is.
Still, it's stupid that they considered Nero as the main protagonist to gain new fans (people who don't know much about DMC). I mean, he's related to Sparda, and nobody new to the series knows who Sparda is.

Somebody said Capcom was 'surprised that we still didn't know where Nero came from'. I think Capcom doesn't know the answer either. They simply said that so that they don't have to explain anything, since they can't explain anything.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Nero isn't Vergil's son, the time-line doesn't fit. I've made this clear before also. And he also isn't a son of Sparda. I believe that Capcom confirmed this a while back. I saw it posted in a thread here (Yes, one I wouldn't be able to find). But also a website that said he wasn't a son of Sparda.

If Nero was a descendant of Sparda, then that would imply he's had his strength since birth. I don't think that is the case though, because Nero does not express having a true demonic form. He needs Yamato to even activate his Devil Trigger (Or whatever it's classed as for him).

The Devil May Cry 4 Instruction Manual states that Nero was scratched on his right arm by a demon, a few days before Dante shows up and assassinates Sanctus. It all has to do with what scratched him and how it really infected him.

The debate is whether we believe Nero was born human or born part human and part demon. I believe he was born human, therefore he couldn't have Sparda's blood in him (Therefore I rule out that he is a descendant of Sparda). Can we really trust what Sanctus says about Nero? I don't believe so.

If Nero was Sparda reborn, then why does he need Yamato to Devil Trigger? Wouldn't he be more powerful than that? There is definitely a connection between Nero and Vergil, undeniably. But Nero, I don't think he is Vergil or Sparda reborn. And I don't think he is his son, because that doesn't even work with the time-line of Devil May Cry.

This leaves us with the fact that whatever infected Nero, had something to do with Vergil. Hence the connections. Vergil could be partly inside of Nero, infecting his body and mind (Like, possession).

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Nero isn't Vergil's son, the time-line doesn't fit. I've made this clear before also. And he also isn't a son of Sparda. I believe that Capcom confirmed this a while back. I saw it posted in a thread here (Yes, one I wouldn't be able to find). But also a website that said he wasn't a son of Sparda.

If Nero was a descendant of Sparda, then that would imply he's had his strength since birth. I don't think that is the case though, because Nero does not express having a true demonic form. He needs Yamato to even activate his Devil Trigger (Or whatever it's classed as for him).

The Devil May Cry 4 Instruction Manual states that Nero was scratched on his right arm by a demon, a few days before Dante shows up and assassinates Sanctus. It all has to do with what scratched him and how it really infected him.

The debate is whether we believe Nero was born human or born part human and part demon. I believe he was born human, therefore he couldn't have Sparda's blood in him (Therefore I rule out that he is a descendant of Sparda). Can we really trust what Sanctus says about Nero? I don't believe so.

If Nero was Sparda reborn, then why does he need Yamato to Devil Trigger? Wouldn't he be more powerful than that? There is definitely a connection between Nero and Vergil, undeniably. But Nero, I don't think he is Vergil or Sparda reborn. And I don't think he is his son, because that doesn't even work with the time-line of Devil May Cry.

This leaves us with the fact that whatever infected Nero, had something to do with Vergil. Hence the connections. Vergil could be partly inside of Nero, infecting his body and mind (Like, possession).

I do think Nero is a descendant of Sparda. He's had white hair all his life, and no other human has white hair (aside from old people).
He's always been quite powerful, even without the arm.

BUT, his powers awakened when he was scratched by that demon in Mitis Forest. That's when he got his arm. The arm is his own arm, since it's red and blue. If it were Vergil's arm, it would be blue. As you know, Dante got his Devil Trigger when he was wounded. As far as I know, this also applies to Vergil.
So I think demons from Sparda's bloodline acquire their DT after being hurt badly. Nero's arm looks like a partial DT to me.

Nero was also severely wounded by Agnus when he used that sword-shaped demon to pierce him. It was then that Nero's DT awakened. But, it doesn't seem to be his own DT, since he uses Yamato's power.

Basically, it's Vergil's soul that goes into Devil Trigger when Nero uses Yamato. Nero's own DT-like thing is his arm, but it seems to be only a partial one. So maybe he still needs to discover his own DT.

The specter floating around Nero seems to be a combination of his own DT (because of the halo near the neck) and Vergil's DT (because of the Yamato using his left arm as a sheath, like Vergil's DT)

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
^ Well I suppose you do make some really good points (Especially like the part about his hair being white). But we can't really say he ALWAYS had white hair, because we only got to see Nero after he had been attacked in Mitis Forest a few days later.

My own personal theory on Nero was that he is a descendant of Sparda. Like, Sparda had him with another woman. (Or even with Eva, it depends when it happened) There is a difference in age between Nero and Dante. We know that Eva died when Dante and Vergil were eight years old. Dante and Vergil may not of been aware that their mom was actually pregnant. Perhaps they had a reason for keeping Nero from the twins? Perhaps they gave Nero away because he would of been safer like this. Maybe they knew that the demons were after them, and would eventually attack, resulting in Eva's death.

But Nero surely can't be a son of Sparda, as I said I heard it was stated he is not. So that just leaves descendant. Descendant of who? Because Vergil doesn't work either.

Hence I ruled out those possibilities and came to the only conclusion left in my opinion.

Top Bottom