• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mythology & Christianity

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Christian values are for example: Love, Hope and Faith
They basically exist in every good story except maybe tragedies.

And DMC4 was more like a parody of christianity...

Edit: Meeting God? Wouldn't that be blasphemy ya know 'cause you can't really tell what God should look like: I can see the headlines DmC banned in all Catholic countries of Europe .

Tiran

The great pretender.
Okay let me explain....

Couldn't God get involved in this? Dante could at least know Sparda met the Lord during his adventures.

Just to clarify...

IF God is God... And he saw fit to get involved in anything... NOTHING bad would or could ever happen ever.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Sorry. Christian values? Scrap that.

Is there ever gonna be any pieces of Christianity in the new dmc?

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Limbo is from Dante Alighieri's works not directly christianity, many people would say it's heresy...

Edit: Basically the same what Tiran said, if God was in DmC why would we need Dante ? 'Cause God is Omnipotent he could just wipe every bad guy out without even trying...

EllDawn

None of the DMC games included anything from a real religion. They had their own in 4, which probably took elements from existing religions, but that was it. The Japanese don't really make any portrayal of Christianity accurate. Or most any religion, for that matter. Not when it's in anime, video games etc. So, if the original series didn't include it, why should this one? Besides, bringing Christianity into the game would probably put them in hot water. More so than they are now.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
None of the DMC games included anything from a real religion. They had their own in 4, which probably took elements from existing religions, but that was it. The Japanese don't really make any portrayal of Christianity accurate. Or most any religion, for that matter. Not when it's in anime, video games etc. So, if the original series didn't include it, why should this one? Besides, bringing Christianity into the game would probably put them in hot water. More so than they are now.
Banned in muslim countries for not being islamic and banned in Protestant & Catholic countries for heresy, that leaves us North Korea where it will be banned because it exists :lol: So who wants to unite religion and games do I see any hands rising?

EllDawn

Banned in muslim countries for not being islamic and banned in Protestant & Catholic countries for heresy, that leaves us North Korea where it will be banned because it exists :lol: So who wants to unite religion and games do I see any hands rising?

lol. I have to say that video was disturbing. Who would buy such a thing?

Razyel

Soul Reaver
lol. I have to say that video was disturbing. Who would buy such a thing?
Who knows, fundamentalists propably won't 'cause gaming is a sin and more liberal cristians wouldn't because, well it sucks ... Luckily this was just a PR for Dante's Inferno. :D

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
I felt like the original series only used mythological names for the sake naming, not for reference. This game probably uses some references like the Divine Comedy. Apparently, it also uses the Canterbury Tales, but I never read them to tell. Even then, those stories are classics, and similarities to them from other stories can be mere coincidence.

Off topic:
I wanna see a game that heavily references Moby Dick. The closest thing is Kingdom Hearts, and even then it's just because of Pinocchio, and that's more a reference to Jonah in the Bible...

EllDawn

Who knows, fundamentalists propably won't 'cause gaming is a sin and more liberal cristians wouldn't because, well it sucks ... Luckily this was just a PR for Dante's Inferno. :D

I'm glad that's all it was. lol. There are some pretty stupid games out there, they don't need to add to them.

Vezild, I'm sure that's all they used the Divine Comedy for. That and the idea of traveling through hell.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
Yes it did right before Nero ended the False Savoir he stated "You know God, I hated it that you gave me this arm...but with it I can destroy this thing....who would've thought?"
picard-facepalm.jpg

If some one said "Oh My God" in a game , would u think that it means that the game involves god

asurai

Assuming SN's original message of God being "mentioned" was his intention with his message, then he is correct. However you may be correct if he did indeed mean "involved". It is intriguing to think upon the fact that if God in DMC can be mentioned so leisurely that then despite the fact that it is a fantasy world then it has similarities to our own. In the fact that we use the word "god" so casually because it is such a widely known concept. So either it is either a widely known concept that there may be a God, or the writing was just absolutely lazy in that instance.

The fact that there are angels mentioned in DMC1, almost outright calling Mundus Lucifer pretty much, lends credit to the idea that there may truly be a "god" in the DMC-verse. So taken in a literal view Nero may in fact be talking about a true "god" in their universe.

I'm rambling utter non-sense now, I know. I'm not even sure of if any of that made sense. So I'll end this ramble of a post here with -

I enjoy Dante equally as much as Dante.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Some people here seem to be confusing the word "God" for a god. A fictional being created for a fictional universe that has its own ideas of God that people worship. Sparda was God to the culture of Fortuna in DMC4. That does not mean he was a direct portrayal or parody of someone else's idea of God from this world. Some people have a rather overwhelming territoriality and inclination to be offended over the very word "God", as if they own it.

A story like this isn't even set in this world, nor is it trying to say that it IS this world. If angels (and therefore whatever God those angels serve) appear in it, of course it is not any of the Gods people choose to worship IRL. For one thing if it were, there are people queuing up to be offended at that kind of thing. CAPCOM would not be wise to declare outright that it is one 'real world' God or another. They apparently assume the audience can appreciate a fictional God with parallels to existing real world deities without getting upset about it.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
If some one said "Oh My God" in a game , would u think that it means that the game involves god

I never said DMC4 had involved God but he was mentioned not as in "Oh My God" or "God dammit" or "God willing" no Nero was literally mentioned God as if he was another character.

Being involved and being mentioned are 2 different things.

So I-I-I say watch yourself boiy.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
I never said DMC4 had involved God but he was mentioned not as in "Oh My God" or "God dammit" or "God willing" no Nero was literally mentioned God as if he was another character.

Being involved and being mentioned are 2 different things.

So I-I-I say watch yourself boiy.

U replied to the quote that said " DMC never involved GOD" and u said yes it did

U dont tell me to watch myself :mad:

Top Bottom