• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mythology & Christianity

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
U replied to the quote that said " DMC never involved GOD" and u said yes it did

U dont tell me to watch myself :mad:

22017366.jpg

Razyel

Soul Reaver
I'm glad that's all it was. lol. There are some pretty stupid games out there, they don't need to add to them.

Vezild, I'm sure that's all they used the Divine Comedy for. That and the idea of traveling through hell.
Yep, Divine Comedy is like a fictional tale of a guy who goes to hell, one man's image of hell, but I don't think that it has any true religious authority, it's a 16th century fantasy novel if you ask me ^_^

Dear mister random, I think it's a cold war :)

ZeroLove

There are never any mention of any "real-life" god in the games from my understanding. No Christian God, no Jesus, no Buddha, no Shiva, no Ganesha, no Allah etc etc. Just referring to Sparda as a god in DMC4, though he is not a god, but a demon which you all probably (and hopefully) already knew. That other demons like to see themselves as gods, like Mundus and Argosax, is another thing.

EllDawn

Yep, Divine Comedy is like a fictional tale of a guy who goes to hell, one man's image of hell, but I don't think that it has any true religious authority, it's a 16th century fantasy novel if you ask me ^_^

Dear mister random, I think it's a cold war :)

That's how I see it. I haven't read it, yet, but from what I know of the story it isn't really based in religion.

crush

It's quite curious in Japan because we had accepted a tons of foreign gods and even converted or mixed it up with our gods. There is even some theory that one of our popular gods the Hachiman is really the "god" of christianity because if you spell it in Kanji it will become Yahata or YHWDH in jewish. (I know it's far-fetched, but some Japanese can't pronounce certain words, probably that is where the strange D came from.)

Possibly that is why we make loads of weird religion based games...

Razyel

Soul Reaver
That's how I see it. I haven't read it, yet, but from what I know of the story it isn't really based in religion.
Exactly, the way I see it is that Alighieri took inspiration from christianity and especially catholism, and we must remember that back in medieval ages religion had much bigger impact on a commoner's life.
I mean they burned all the writings of the Greek philosophers' if they weren't in line with what the Pope and catholics said. That's why they burned all the studies that said that the Earth was round and not like a pizza. That's why all the writings of Aristotle was saved 'cause they were in line with catholic teaching.
Also the Bible was only in Latin so nobody could really understand it and everyone was dependant on the church, so they could exploit their religious authority and say it was God's will, the crusades are prime example of this.

Now that's enough of a history lesson :lol:

EllDawn

Exactly, the way I see it is that Alighieri took inspiration from christianity and especially catholism, and we must remember that back in medieval ages religion had much bigger impact on a commoner's life.
I mean they burned all the writings of the Greek philosophers' if they weren't in line with what the Pope and catholics said. That's why they burned all the studies that said that the Earth was round and not like a pizza. That's why all the writings of Aristotle was saved 'cause they were in line with catholic teaching.
Also the Bible was only in Latin so nobody could really understand it and everyone was dependant on the church, so they could exploit their religious authority and say it was God's will, the crusades are prime example of this.

Now that's enough of a history lesson :lol:

No one was able to read the bible because they weren't educated. It was another way to keep control over the lower class. If they couldn't read, they had to trust in what they were being told by the priests and king. At least the whole thing about the earth being round was proven in a way that made it impossible to refute.

lol. Think this thread can get back on topic?

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry

for once m8 i agree with you.

it doesnt matter if there are no christian values, muslim values, jewish values or whatever. this game isnt a for preaching religon to us. maybe a satire on our lives but thats about it. religion is a very important part of many peoples lives and should be respected as such regardless of your personal opinions on them. that being said NOONE has any right to try and critisize others people beliefs regardless.

so what i say is with the upmost respect and purest intention. christian values have no place in a DmC game and i dont think any game should have them. slandering something just because your religon doesnt like it is not an arguement at all. if someone has a moral problem with the game they should give their own opinions, rationing and reasons. not just "jesus said so therefore this game is the devil"

xzPki.gif

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Yeah the most basic thing in a game is killing so how does that work with christianity or hinduism, fiction should remain fiction, real life should remain real life ^_^

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
i wouldnt mind Dante fighting some mythological creatures but that might make it seem to Hellboy-ish.

EllDawn

Stylish Nero, not all were demons. In DMC4, Agnus, Credo and Sanctus weren't born demons. They infused demonic powers into themselves. It's the same with Arkham. So, even though they kind of became demons in the end, they weren't demons. So just saying that you go through the game killing is still accurate. It looks like you won't just be killing demons in this one, either. Maybe types of fallen angels, too.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Stylish Nero, not all were demons. In DMC4, Agnus, Credo and Sanctus weren't born demons. They infused demonic powers into themselves. It's the same with Arkham. So, even though they kind of became demons in the end, they weren't demons. So just saying that you go through the game killing is still accurate. It looks like you won't just be killing demons in this one, either. Maybe types of fallen angels, too.

In the end they still we're demons...Nero said Credo has turned himself into a demon and Dante said Agnus threw away his humanity...so humans turned demon is still a demon in technical terms...

On a side note of fallen angels......would playing Bayonetta be considered sacrilegious?

EllDawn

In the end they still we're demons...Nero said Credo has turned himself into a demon and Dante said Agnus threw away his humanity...so humans turned demon is still a demon in technical terms...

On a side note of fallen angels......would playing Bayonetta be considered sacrilegious?

They still weren't full demon, and had human blood.

If playing Bayonetta is considered sacrilegious, then so is playing most every game available. In my opinion, they don't have anything to do with religion. I'm sure a lot of people would disagree. Games tend to take on their own mythology, even though they use many of the same words. In a game, an angel could be anything. So, no, I wouldn't call it sacrilegious.

Top Bottom