• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

MAJOR SPOILERS! ENDING SHOWN HERE

zarion

What's pseudo-intellectual about something you learn (or should learn) in high school?
Exactly that, the fact that you learn it in high school. There should be no question that humans are inherently capable of great evil, it's not even a point of debate, it is a matter of fact.
It is a cliche because it is repeated endlessly in popular media.
Vergil chose to rule over humanity after wresting control from Mundus' grasp, Dante had all reason to be furious.
From the looks of things Vergil has plans for the demons as well.

zarion

**** it, I'm out. I have work to do
EDIT: It had nothing to do with you not liking the ending, it had with you criticising a completely understandable, brash decision influenced by evil supernatural forces and instead wanting a repeat of a trope that's been done to death

Gbraga

Exactly that, the fact that you learn it in high school. There should be no question that humans are inherently capable of great evil, it's not even a point of debate, it is a matter of fact.
But that's not really what I was talking about...

The discussion is about nature vs nurture, of course they're capable of great evil, the discussion is whether or not it's because of their nature that they do it or if society corrupts them, and that's where Hobbes, Locke and Rousseau views of the human nature collide. Hobbes believes that without a Leviathan there will always be chaos, because humans are inherently evil, not capable of evil, but evil, they need to be controled to keep order, while Rousseau believes men are inherently good, and forces of society that corrupts them, hence "the good savage", and Locke believes that humans are a blank slate, they're not inherently nothing and are completely shaped by society.

There is no definite answer, no "there should be no question", this is still a very good point to be debated, and whole political views are based around some of them, the whole reason why a lot of people don't even see Anarchy as being a valid alternative is because they too think like Hobbes that without the Leviathan, there will always be chaos, and relate Anarchy to destruction. Lack of any order whatsoever.

I can't believe you call out people on being "pseudo-intellectual" and then procceed to show that you didn't even understand what they were talking about.

Gbraga

EDIT: It had nothing to do with you not liking the ending, it had with you criticising a completely understandable, brash decision influenced by evil supernatural forces and instead wanting a repeat of a trope that's been done to death
It is understandable, I'm not criticizing his actions, but the way they were displayed, the delivery was poor, it lacked any punch or satisfaction. DMC3's story was shallow but it had a very satisfyinig ending, this just looks like a series' episode cliffhanger or commercial break, it lacks any feeling of closure or reward for finishing the campaign.

It could have been better explored if they went deeper into the very relevant discussion that started before their fight, but they could have ignored that but still delivered a satisfying ending as well, I'm not saying the ending sucks because it wasn't like I wanted, I'm saying that the ending sucks and I wish it was more like that.

zarion

Well yes, I will admit that the ending lacked something. Even just panning towards the sky while a giant winged demon swooshes by, then Kat says something like "looks like you have your work cut out for you, Dante", or "it's time to get to work", or at least something that implies that Dante cheers up and is steering towards becoming a demon hunter by trade as a nod to the original would've been more satisfying.
I've been spending far too much time with the drones over at /v/ and /vg/, I'm becoming incapable of telling genuine constructive criticism apart from blind hate. Pardon.

Gbraga

Well yes, I will admit that the ending lacked something. Even just panning towards the sky while a giant winged demon swooshes by, then Kat says something like "looks like you have your work cut out for you, Dante", or "it's time to get to work", or at least something that implies that Dante cheers up and is steering towards becoming a demon hunter by trade as a nod to the original would've been more satisfying.
I've been spending far too much time with the drones over at /v/ and /vg/, I'm becoming incapable of telling genuine constructive criticism apart from blind hate. Pardon.
YES, your suggestion is great as well, you get that feeling of "OH BOY!" and makes you excited for a sequel or DLC campaign continuing the story, it would be really good!

I'd also like to see (if they invest in DLC campaigns) Dante being locked up and going to trial for his "crimes", after all, even if he saved the world, people still see him as a terrorist, so you would have to fight your way out of jail, or maybe be rescued by The Order and/or Vergil? I'd like that.

Nero.

tumblr_inline_mg49haBfUY1rwthjv.gif

I know full well what I'm talking about, I don't need you to clarify otherwise.
Post VORGIL gif me cool!!

Wakes up and what do I see some chump trying to play tough guy like I said before keep you fingers away from the keyboard when you don't know what's going on kid.

Gbraga

YES, your suggestion is great as well, you get that feeling of "OH BOY!" and makes you excited for a sequel or DLC campaign continuing the story, it would be really good!

I'd also like to see (if they invest in DLC campaigns) Dante being locked up and going to trial for his "crimes", after all, even if he saved the world, people still see him as a terrorist, so you would have to fight your way out of jail, or maybe be rescued by The Order and/or Vergil? I'd like that.
Sorry for quoting myself, but what if the member of The Order to rescue Dante was a young man named Nero? Would that be cool or am I being too much of a fanboy?

DjRunza

Mercenary of Darkness
You know, if CAPCOM decided to make the sequel of the original series of DMC5 instead of making the reboot version of DmC in the first place, these arguments so called "WWlll", anti-DmC supporter, DmC haters or whatever you may call em, will not happen. Just saying. :p

Nero.

If you don't like this game you're a troll,hater,manchild,anti-dmc(lol) the list goes on true story.

Azurel

You know, if CAPCOM decided to make the sequel of the original series of DMC5 instead of making the reboot version of DmC in the first place, these arguments so called "WWlll", anti-DmC supporter, DmC haters or whatever you may call em, will not happen. Just saying. :p

Oh my God, yes. This so would not have happened! We would have just sat back and allowed the "hardcore fans" to argue amongst themselves because the game still would not have met their expectations, somehow.

I, amongst many others, said nothing when people started attacking Nero. His crying scene and obsession for Kyrie made me lose all sympathy for him. DmC Dante would have smacked Nero if he had seem him doing that: "Enough Nero! Just save her, already!!"

zarion

Sorry for quoting myself, but what if the member of The Order to rescue Dante was a young man named Nero? Would that be cool or am I being too much of a fanboy?
Too much of a fanboy, Vergil and Dante couldn't possibly be THAT old.
Dante maybe spawning some demonic offspring with the demon strippers could be an interesting development though, if not then Kat and Dante are far too friendly with each other to simply remain platonic love interests for the remainder of the DmC continuity. Unless Kat already has Nero stuffed in a stroller somewhere.
A real twist would be Nero being Dante's son in the DmC continuity, he would have to continue Dante's legacy after the latter disappears and maybe reluctantly form temporary alliances with the anti-hero Vergil.
Having Dante take the role of Sparda from the original franchise and Vergil adopting Dante's role as a possible mentor in DMC4.
Nero could be the one in between two extremities, functioning as a mediator between the two ideologies.

Top Bottom