• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

MAJOR SPOILERS! ENDING SHOWN HERE

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Yeah, it's hard to see everything but is it just me? Or i think DmC dante looks really cool with white hair?
And Vergil? Well, being Vergil :D

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Well, so i finally finished it. I think the fight is okay. I'm honestly waiting to see vergil's devil trigger form but it seems he didn't take dante seriously. He is his little bro after all :shifty:

I think we would see more in vergil's downfall.

Henski77

I haven't looked yet :) but tbh I can't remember a recent game ending thats made me go OMG. Imo most games have poor endings so it won't bother me as long as I enjoy everything else :)

Martius

SSSmokin!
Well, so i finally finished it. I think the fight is okay. I'm honestly waiting to see vergil's devil trigger form but it seems he didn't take dante seriously. He is his little bro after all :shifty:

I think we would see more in vergil's downfall.
For me it looks like NT did not bother to make "Vergil" DT. He want to take control over world and he is not serious about it?

zarion

If Vergil and Dante have both awakened their devil powers fully then what about the angel half, is that just a passive trait, are they devil-dominant?

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Really, you guys can't deal with that kind of vid quality? When Devil May Cry first came out I had to wait ten hours on a dial-up modem to see a trailer at half the quality. You're all spoiled rotten.

I know that in a few days we'll all have beaten the game and we'll have a far more informed basis from whence to cast our opinions from, but I can't for the life of me think of a single final battle in any media as limp-wristed and feeble as the one I just witnessed.

I want to start of with the direction and delivery, because that's the surface of what we're witnessing. Every conversation scene I've seen in this game (Asside from the boss fights) is just a case of characters dryly and emotionlessly delivering lines which seem like they should have gravitas and power behind them. They really are just standing there, in deadpan monotone, describing Vergil's complete betrayal of the Order. There's no heart, no magnificence to the delivery, and the characters barely move as their bonds are irreconcilably destroyed. I'm not saying that we need the kind of histrionic melodrama that DMC4 outright parodied, but I look back on Ninja Theory's previous work and see so much more.

HS might have had some serious problems, but at least Andy Serkis knew how to make even the most blandly cliche role fun. Neither the actors on the set or the director in charge put any heart into this scene, or the one introducing Vergil for that matter. No emotion, no physicality, just shot-reverse-shot, spilling out exposition as homogeneously as possible. I can feel my soul dying just watching it.

I've got a whole lot of other problems, but it seems remiss to commentate on them until I've experience the whole thing.

If you can enjoy this, I'm happy for you. Honestly I even envy you. I'd really like to have a bit of informed discussion on the execution of the game as a whole with you guys.

zarion

Macabre, da vidya called, it's running out of idiots. You should go back home.
Saying that a character who screams, swears and constantly cracks jokes in situations where he has to keep his head cool and always be prepared lacks soul, or emotional depth is like saying that unless he's a hyperactive sperglord and crybaby with over the top reactions to everything then he's a bad character.
Maybe it's because Dante didn't scream about how he wanted to fill your soul with light, but you're basing your criticism of his character on absolutely nothing.

Suzaku18XD

Truth lies before ruin
I'm not weak enough to look, but just for that comment SonofMundus...
tumblr_inline_mgbduv3zjO1rwthjv.gif

I'll judge that for myself when I play the game. I don't need you yelling it at the top of your capable letters.

And if you're forgetting, 'Vergil' survived in DMC3 after fighting with Dante.
DANG!!!! PWNED!!!

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Macabre, da vidya called, it's running out of idiots. You should go back home.

...I'm sorry, I have no idea what that means...

Saying that a character who screams, swears and constantly cracks jokes in situations where he has to keep his head cool and always be prepared lacks soul, or emotional depth is like saying that unless he's a hyperactive sperglord and crybaby with over the top reactions to everything then he's a bad character.
Maybe it's because Dante didn't scream about how he wanted to fill your soul with light, but you're basing your criticism of his character on absolutely nothing.

I'll never be the one to say that Devil May Cry written as anything other than a rush job to compliment a game concept Mikami and Kamiya had after finding an amusing glitch in the Onimusha code.

I will say that ad hominem isn't a good start in any counterpoint.

The thing is that by describing a character who "Screams, swears and cracks jokes" you just described the way Dante is while fighting. When DmC has him converse with others however he devolves into a deadpan morass. By having such a drastic shift in characterization it undermines the overall presentation of the character and makes the whole feel weaker as a result.

What's more, Dante's brash, livewire personality is what makes him distinct from his brother. Dante's style is impetuous and foolhardy, Vergil's is precise and eloquent. Dante bull rushes his problems while Vergil uses tactics and elan. Ninja Theory seem to have nailed this difference in their plot and their combat styles, but it's totally absent in the conversations which are meant to flesh out and bring depth to these characters.

And lets face it; we enjoy drama because it is dramatic. We need to see characters emote and treat major events with the gravitas they deserve, or we can't feel for them. This is where the word "Drama" comes from you see. Consider why people are disappointed by this ending; it goes beyond weak gameplay or fanboyism, it's the fact that it's treated with utter moroseness by the actors, and we have to follow.

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
So, finally the brothers swapped there place for the stabbing party, great! I hope there is a cutscene after the credit roll finishes like DMC3 had.

Martius

SSSmokin!
An honorable person wouldn't be willing to wipe out the human race to fulfill his selfish desires.
Hm, did i miss something from DMC3? From what i remeber Vergil wanted to broke spell on Temingru to gain power used by Sparda to seal entrace between demon and human world. Who knows what he would do after that?

I still didn't get one of my favorite quotes from Vergil. "Foolishness dante, Foolishness"

That would be interesting reverse, if made properly. But we are talking about NT.

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
I still didn't get one of my favorite quotes from Vergil. "Foolishness dante, Foolishness"

You know I expected Dante and Vergil to have some conversation during the battle like Dante warning not to be foolish and Vergil threatening Dante. It would've made the battle between the brothers even more epic!!

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Hm, did i miss something from DMC3? From what i remeber Vergil wanted to broke spell on Temingru to gain power used by Sparda to seal entrace between demon and human world. Who knows what he would do after that?
Regardless of what his goal is, sacrificing the lives of others is NOT honorable.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
You know I expected Dante and Vergil to have some conversation during the battle like Dante warning not to be foolish and Vergil threatening Dante. It would've made the battle between the brothers even more epic!!

I'm not really that satisfied to this ending compared to DMC 3 but hey, we still got vergil's downfall. There might be some hidden ending in the end.

Top Bottom