• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Last Chance Leaving...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
That's a great leap there, but doesn't change the fact that DmC is Ninja Theory's, because it is their interpretation of Devil May Cry. Just in the same way that Devil May Cry is Team Little Devils' interpretation of Inferno. How 'bout that sh!t?

This throws us right back around to Tarzan, Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and whatever else Disney created that wasn't originally theirs.

Intellectual Property, creative ownership, it's all the same, and you're all wrong.

Also...

Sorry, but intellectual property may encompass that from a business perspective but from a real perspective it does not.

...f#cking what? Intellectual Property is the legal representation of something like creative ownership. It is PART of the "real perspective." For f#ck's sake.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
More than just Inferno, but also Purgatorio, and Paradiso as well.

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Divine_Comedy

There's also the use of the orienting oneself upside-down in order to enter the underworld, which was used in Inferno as well.

There's a few other things that escape me at the moment, I had a long night last night.

IncarnatedDemon

If dmc1 has version of something from D.c then yes its not creatively owned by capcom or developers who made the game.
But for Dante and the gameplay...i doubt it was taken from the d.c.

Specially not Dante. To my knowledge only the name is taken there, but Dante from dmc1 is not a version of Dante Alighieri. Plus fact Dante was made to be himself, he wasnt made to be Dante Alighieri.
So no, as far as i am concerned when it comes to gameplay and Dante, i see little of D.c in them.

Disney created Tarzan and based it on original Tarzan. Dante was not based on the poet, and he shares only one thing as i just mentioned.

IncarnatedDemon

Are you kidding me right now? This entire franchise makes up it's own interpretations of things all stemming from Dante's Inferno. Like, I thought that was like common knowledge for Devil May Cry fans.
calm down, i wanted to take standpoint in specific things. As there are alot of D.c that isnt worth talking about in context to my point.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Disney created Tarzan and based it on original Tarzan. Dante was not based on the poet, and he shares only one thing as i just mentioned.

Plenty of creative liberties are taken, because my God was the poet Dante a wiener in the Comedy, but that doesn't suddenly make it any different from everything else I've been talking about. The classic DMC series has plenty of both heavy-handed and vague references to the Divine Comedy, just as DmC has plenty of both heavy-handed and vague references to Devil May Cry.

But, there's no helping you, IncaDemo...you're just going to keep on with your "that's just, like, your opinion man" when what I'm talking about are real facts of the world, backed up by the very idea of how ownership is recognized. And no, there is no difference between the "egality and reality of something - they are one in the same.

Are you kidding me right now? This entire franchise makes up it's own interpretations of things all stemming from Dante's Inferno. Like, I thought that was like common knowledge for Devil May Cry fans.

One would think...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
calm down, i wanted to take standpoint in specific things. As there are alot of D.c that isnt worth talking about in context to my point.

Specific things? How about just about the entire franchise for the most part? It's very obvious.We can be here all night listing things that stem from Dante's Inferno serving as inspiration. Why don't you just be the Devil May Cry super fan you claim to be and look it up yourself.

Or maybe you're just not a real fan like me.
tumblr_lqgp83G8R91qlv9p8.gif

IncarnatedDemon

I just told you, if there are versions of things in the poem, then i believe that its versions in dmc1 is creatively owned by the person who made the poem.

But let's look at gameplay and Dante.

Is Dante a version of the poet? No, Dante has just taken the name.
Was Dante meant to be a version or "interpretation" of the poet? No.
And is the gameplay you see in dmc1 a version of the poem ? No. If it was then the poem would have gameplay in it ,but it doesn't.
In contrast Temen-ni-gru in 3 is a version of the mount in poem.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
@_@

Dante was an interpretation of the Comedy's version, one that was not a wiener and not banished from Florence like half a century ago. By virtue his backstory makes him different, but he's still the main character who travels through Hell.

You're also setting up a stringent rules for what can and cannot count as proper interpretations. That's not how it works. Even if Dante himself bears little resemblance to the wiener (seriously, he faints like three times out of fear >.<) in the poem, he's still where Dante came from.

As I said, be the references or inspirations large or small, they are from the Divine Comedy, and despite the creative liberties taken that make them different, it's those creative liberties that make it its own thing, and wholly the property of the people who created it.

Gameplay or story, it doesn't matter.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The whole fact that Devil May Cry was inspired by the Divine Comedy, and borrows heavily from it.

And for the love of all that is good and just in the world, please don't split hairs about using the word "inspired." This is more than just "I named my main character after Dante from the Divine Comedy," it's "This game takes heavily from the Divine Comedy," along with plenty of artistic liberties to make it a worthwhile game.

And I'm out. Someone tag in for me...I have to deal with Call of Duty drones for the rest of the week T_T

Top Bottom