• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Jump Cancelling FAQ for Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowNinja X7

Jump Cancelling (Hereby known as JC) is a technique in DMC3 in which you jump off an enemy to perform multiple aerial attacks. To perform a JC, you must press X right as your attack hits. If your close enough this will cause Dante to jump off the enemy so you can use the attack again. This adds flare and style to combos, as well as causing big damage.

When using Trickster and using a JC, you get a extra Sky Star, Air Hike and Air Trick. Essentially you can stay in the air forever. This FAQ will cover timings for all JC moves.

Thumb Rolling:Thumb rolling is a technique used to rapidly JC moves like Swing and Vergils Aerial Rave. You roll your thumb from X to /\ in one motion. Think of it as a single input, and not X then /\. The Input is very fast, and takes some practice to be able to pull off.

Here are Dante's JC moves, sorted by weapon

Rebellion-

Helm Breaker:This move is exceptionally hard to JC, and there are two types. Type one is when you let Dante reach the peak of his jump before performing another HB. Type two is rapidly performing HB over and over without letting Dante reach the peak. Both are hard, but type 2 is extremly hard. To JC Helmbreaker you must press X right as the tip of the blade hits the enemy. This must be done exactly at the right time, not to early, not to late. Its difficult, but with practice it can be done regularly.

Aerial Rave:Not very hard to JC, but you lose a lot of height while using this move so try to JC either the first or second hit. Not very hard to jump cancel, just press X the moment you see the Sword go through the enemy.

Cerberus-

Swing:JC swings isn't very hard. When you see the flash/sand appear from the enemy, jump, then attack again. To get good at this I suggest letting Dante jump a little higher first, just to get used to the speed of Swing.

Rapid Swing:Its Swing, but performed so fast it looks like a constant Revolver. This is a move the requires the thumb roll. Use the same timing as regular swinging, but with the thumb roll technique. Its so fast you can't see the jump animation at all. This move is just as hard to do as rapid Helmbreakers.

Revlover:Very easy move to JC, you can JC at any time before the final hit. The only thing is that you have to be at point blank to be able to JC. ITs a great set-up for Swing though, so get used to it.

Flicker:I havn't actually JC this move, I'll right it in later.

Agni and Rudra-

Aerial Cross:Easy move, just use the thumb roll, or just a fast input. Its not really usful unless you're using Quicksilver, or fighting enemys that aren't knocked away like Fallens and Chess Pieces. The attack is fast, so just get to the X button as fast as you can afterwards.

Sky Dance:This one is a little trickey, but you can perform it infinitly if your good enough. Press O twice, and on the third hit JC and immediatly press O twice again. Once you get into a rythem, you can do this while losing little to no height forever.

Nevan-

Air Play:You have to be right above the enemy for this one, just ump off of them when you reach them. Its not hard, just basic jumping.

Air Slash:This move is only usfull against enemys that aren't knocked away, like Beowulf and the Chess Pieces. Just jump right as the first slash hits. This attack does big damage, Beo will be taken down in just a couple minutes.

Beowulf-

Killer Bee: Perhaps the easiest move in the game to JC, right as Dante hits the enemy, jump, and do it again. As you get better at this, you can keep lower and lower, even launching enemys and keeping them in the air with this move alone. It also does a lot of damage, and is a very good attack

Hammer:Kind of usless, as it knocks the enemy straight down, although it is cool in some combos. Right after you hit O press X. This move is VERY fast, so you have to be fast with your fingers as well.

Rising Dragon:Really easy, just jump at the top of the uppercut.

As far as I know that pretty much sums it up for Dantes moves. If I forgot anything, please let me know and I'll ad it. I'll also be making changes as I get better at DMC3, so I'll let everyone know about those as well. I'll post Vergil tomarrow. Hope this helps everyone.

Noxotic

Good faq
*Hands you a cookie*
I'm really good with JCing and I want you to try something really cool, I just accomplished it. (You'll see what I mean if you try it.)
THIS IS HARD TO PEFORM BUT IF DONE PROPERLY LOOKS AWESOME!
Ok, use quicksilver and have beowulf and cerberus. knock the enemy into the air then use time lag. jump up and repeatedly switch between them and jump cancel with /_\ and you should do swing, JC, Killer Bee, JC, Swing etc. Heres a link showing it. It's the movie Rising Dragon by Tatsumaru Black, one of the Best DMC players out there.

http://daiyoukai.net/mirror/tatsrisingdragon.wmv

Have fun :D

ShadowNinja X7

Yea, that movie is awsome. QS adds a lot to gameplay by allowing you to do stuff like that. I'm going to keep adding to this, but thanks for the compliments.

ShadowNinja X7

Here's Vergil:

Yamato-

Aerial Rave: Perhaps one of the coolest moves to JC, as well as one of the hardest. To do these perfectly takes a lot of practice, as well as some extremely fast thumb rolling. You must jump right as Yamato hit’s the enemy, and then go right back to triangle to get the next hit in. If you manage to get these perfect, neither Vergil nor the enemy will lose height. A good setup for this move is High Time with Force Edge, then switch to Yamato and start Aerial Raving.

Beowulf-

Starfall: See Killer Bee

Lunar Phase: This move is a little trickey. You can JC on any of the hits that Vergil makes, but it must be when he hit’s the enemy, so you must time the jump for when his foot strikes the enemy.

Rising Sun: You can JC at any time before the second kick, you just have to be at point blank range. I suggest using Air Trick to set this up.

Force Edge-

Helm Breaker: See Rebellion

High Time: Easy, just jump at the peak of the move.

ShadowNinja X7

Yea, thats pretty much how I thumb-roll as well. Although, I guess there could be others ways to do it. Its just easiest to do it that way IMO. I guess I should have put that in there to.

Noxotic

Oh, its possible to JC Volcano and Hammer more than once. Thanks to Deadly Eclipse, I learned that.:D Hammer JC more than once usually needs a boss that can't be knocked down like the Vanguard in mission 2. Volcano JC'ing can be done more than once, but its very hard. I still haven't been able to do it more than once, but I'll keep trying.:) My only problems JC'ing are Volcano and Hammer more than 7 times..... Somehow, I got the timing somewhat down for hammers on the vanguard. It's fast so if you try it, be ready.

VOLCANO AND HAMMER ARE EXTREMELY HARD TO JC!!!!!!

ShadowNinja X7

I never really found Volcano all that tough. Although, it doesn't do anything either, you just jump off the enemy over and over again.

Noxotic

I know, it just looks cool :D. My problem is that the enemy keeps moving, or I move accidently by double jumping....

ShadowNinja X7

Yea, and if you could gradually control the hieght of your rebound to get higher and higher on each one leading up to a actual Volcano, that'd be cool.

Noxotic

lol, thats what I'm practicing. :D I wish Volcao would be stronger as the height you were at were higher like this.
Key:
x-enemy
X-you
|- Volcano

X
|
x
^That would do like 200 Dmg for example.

X
|
|
|
x
^That would do 2000 and so on.
That would be awesome. I can do the same height Volcano jump for 4 or less times so far because the enemy keeps getting up. It's hard but it looks cool. :D Great Combo Finisher.

EDIT: The camera also turns for me so it gets irritating for me to try and do it. Also, its possible to control the height of your jump during the Volcano JC, its just that you have to adjust to the camera angle cause it keeps turning.

aoshi

hey thanx for all that information,

i did not know anythin but JCing before.but now i shall try that move.
i have thumb rolled before for another game.it is called "smack down here comes the pain".

d4rkn1ght

Devils Never Cry
ShadowNinja X7;183 said:
Jump Cancelling (Hereby known as JC) is a technique in DMC3 in which you jump off an enemy to perform multiple aerial attacks. To perform a JC, you must press X right as your attack hits. If your close enough this will cause Dante to jump off the enemy so you can use the attack again. This adds flare and style to combos, as well as causing big damage.

When using Trickster and using a JC, you get a extra Sky Star, Air Hike and Air Trick. Essentially you can stay in the air forever. This FAQ will cover timings for all JC moves.

Thumb Rolling:Thumb rolling is a technique used to rapidly JC moves like Swing and Vergils Aerial Rave. You roll your thumb from X to /\ in one motion. Think of it as a single input, and not X then /\. The Input is very fast, and takes some practice to be able to pull off.

Here are Dante's JC moves, sorted by weapon

Rebellion-

Helm Breaker:This move is exceptionally hard to JC, and there are two types. Type one is when you let Dante reach the peak of his jump before performing another HB. Type two is rapidly performing HB over and over without letting Dante reach the peak. Both are hard, but type 2 is extremly hard. To JC Helmbreaker you must press X right as the tip of the blade hits the enemy. This must be done exactly at the right time, not to early, not to late. Its difficult, but with practice it can be done regularly.

Aerial Rave:Not very hard to JC, but you lose a lot of height while using this move so try to JC either the first or second hit. Not very hard to jump cancel, just press X the moment you see the Sword go through the enemy.

Cerberus-

Swing:JC swings isn't very hard. When you see the flash/sand appear from the enemy, jump, then attack again. To get good at this I suggest letting Dante jump a little higher first, just to get used to the speed of Swing.

Rapid Swing:Its Swing, but performed so fast it looks like a constant Revolver. This is a move the requires the thumb roll. Use the same timing as regular swinging, but with the thumb roll technique. Its so fast you can't see the jump animation at all. This move is just as hard to do as rapid Helmbreakers.

Revlover:Very easy move to JC, you can JC at any time before the final hit. The only thing is that you have to be at point blank to be able to JC. ITs a great set-up for Swing though, so get used to it.

Flicker:I havn't actually JC this move, I'll right it in later.

Agni and Rudra-

Aerial Cross:Easy move, just use the thumb roll, or just a fast input. Its not really usful unless you're using Quicksilver, or fighting enemys that aren't knocked away like Fallens and Chess Pieces. The attack is fast, so just get to the X button as fast as you can afterwards.

Sky Dance:This one is a little trickey, but you can perform it infinitly if your good enough. Press O twice, and on the third hit JC and immediatly press O twice again. Once you get into a rythem, you can do this while losing little to no height forever.

Nevan-

Air Play:You have to be right above the enemy for this one, just ump off of them when you reach them. Its not hard, just basic jumping.

Air Slash:This move is only usfull against enemys that aren't knocked away, like Beowulf and the Chess Pieces. Just jump right as the first slash hits. This attack does big damage, Beo will be taken down in just a couple minutes.

Beowulf-

Killer Bee: Perhaps the easiest move in the game to JC, right as Dante hits the enemy, jump, and do it again. As you get better at this, you can keep lower and lower, even launching enemys and keeping them in the air with this move alone. It also does a lot of damage, and is a very good attack

Hammer:Kind of usless, as it knocks the enemy straight down, although it is cool in some combos. Right after you hit O press X. This move is VERY fast, so you have to be fast with your fingers as well.

Rising Dragon:Really easy, just jump at the top of the uppercut.

As far as I know that pretty much sums it up for Dantes moves. If I forgot anything, please let me know and I'll ad it. I'll also be making changes as I get better at DMC3, so I'll let everyone know about those as well. I'll post Vergil tomarrow. Hope this helps everyone.

or u can see in the game when u can see the Video Demonstration on Dante or Vergil :D

Crimson Lucy

Jump Cancelling (Hereby known as JC) is a technique in DMC3 in which you jump off an enemy to perform multiple aerial attacks.

Not to be a dick, but thats not "cancelling". Interesting guide tho.

bla bla bla. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom