• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I wish they would've characterized Dante better.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
It was obvious what was wrong. Dante HIMSELF even said it; "It must be the affects of the GATE. Meaning he had plenty of time to destroy the hellgates himself, but pussyfooted around and left it to Nero while he did god-knows-what. Oh and good job Dante at preventing Nero from walking into a deathtrap and then let him walk into almost all of them, fight him, and be like "naw, go ahead anyway" instead of maybe warning him.
Warning about what? I already said, there is no implication Dante knew about whole Sanctus plan. Otherwise i doubt he left after only shooting him in the head. And why Dante should kick Nero aside, if he thought Nero was completely capable of doing his job.
And demons already flooded town. You just said earlier that Angelos and Order were capable to hold small breaches. So wasn't it a little more important to discover Agnus' plan? (that aside main gate wasn't even working at the time of Dante's second meeting with Nero

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
With DMC, nobody knows what is canon anymore.If we take DMC "canon" seriously, every game is "uncanon" to each other.
That novel was promoted by Capcom as the "complete version" of DMC, they promoted it everywhere.
First what I had was a resume of that book in Devils-Lair, later I found myself searching for bits in japanese speaking sites, since Capcom never release their stuff to West. People commented how novel had answers to a lot of things, so I searched for it.
I saw nothing that said Dante didn't care for the people there, so it seems it was Trish's plan and Dante just obeyed her without a word.It was not the first time Dante is shown as submissive to her, what makes me believe she is the leader of the duo.Even when Lady confronted Dante, asking what Trish thinks she is doing and why, Dante did nothing and victimized himself with a " things always get complicated".
Other fact, it seems Dante didn't know who Nero was.Only when Dante arrived Fortuna, he saw the boy and got interested on him.Trish, who arrived sometime before, never told her mate about this boy with an uncanny similitude to him.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Actually, the plan was to capture Dante and use him as the heart of the Saviour but their plan relied on the notion that the could capture him, which looked like it didn't even occur to them that they might not be able to. That's where the plan fell apart, because they didn't think that a) Dante was beyond capturing and b) that if he was around and they couldn't use him he'd get in their way and succeed.

Honestly, I thought that that was Dante 'having faith' in Nero, which looks like backfired on him.
The first part you said is true, but what do you mean by 'his faith in Nero backfired on him'? Seems like Nero did a good job of weakening and destroying the Savior. He defeated Sanctus, and partially crippled it from the inside in doing so. Dante did the other half of the job by destroying the crystals on the Savior.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Warning about what? I already said, there is no implication Dante knew about whole Sanctus plan. Otherwise i doubt he left after only shooting him in the head. And why Dante should kick Nero aside, if he thought Nero was completely capable of doing his job.
And demons already flooded town. You just said earlier that Angelos and Order were capable to hold small breaches. So wasn't it a little more important to discover Agnus' plan? (that aside main gate wasn't even working at the time of Dante's second meeting with Nero

I said nothing about Angelos holding breaches. And even so, Dante should be smart enough to notice the GIANT hellgate right in the middle of town and think "Hmm, that might be a problem down the road" and deal with it there. What Dante was told by Lady was a Diabolical plot that had to do with a religious cult that kills demons and collect devil arms. When there, should've just gotten that hellgate in the middle of town, then the rest of them, and finally go all the way to the order, get Sparda, shoot Sanctus again, and boom, done.
I understand letting Nero look cool and all, but don't make it so damn faulty and solvable if Dante did it, writers.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The first part you said is true, but what do you mean by 'his faith in Nero backfired on him'? Seems like Nero did a good job of weakening and destroying the Savior. He defeated Sanctus, and partially crippled it from the inside in doing so. Dante did the other half of the job by destroying the crystals on the Savior.
Yeah, but if he'd beaten Sanctus before getting absorbed the whole mess might've been avoided. They wouldn't have to destroy the Savior from the inside since it doesn't work anyway and they might've even been able to save Creedo.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Yeah, but if he'd beaten Sanctus before getting absorbed the whole mess might've been avoided. They wouldn't have to destroy the Savior from the inside since it doesn't work anyway and they might've even been able to save Creedo.
How would he have beaten Sanctus before getting absorbed? When Nero encountered Sanctus and fought him, he was unable to beat him because he had taken the Yamato from him, and aside from that, Nero hadn't completely accepted his demonic side, and Kyrie was used as a lure. All of that makes for quite the obstacle for Nero... and he was just too weak on his own versus Sanctus.
It was only at the very end (after the trials in the Savior) that Nero finally accepted his demonic side and became more confident and powerful.

''Since it doesn't work anyway''? They needed to destroy the Savior so it couldn't be used again... and destroying it from the outside was impossible. Of course, somebody needed to be absorbed. It took both Dante and Nero to defeat it, not just Nero.
The Savior was immobilized by Dante due to the destruction of the crystals. Subsequently, the Savior was downgraded in power to the 'false Savior' by Nero's defeat of Sanctus. I don't see how Dante's faith in Nero backfired on him if Nero killed Sanctus on his own and destroyed the Savior.
It's just how the story goes.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
You know, it's funny...I remember Kobayashi talking about how he wanted DMC4 to be the ultimate DMC cinematic experience, and how he thought he could cut out all the cutscenes and string them together into a substantial, stand-alone movie.

I can't even imagine how confusing or bewildering that would've been with all these plot and logic holes devouring the main plot.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I said nothing about Angelos holding breaches. And even so, Dante should be smart enough to notice the GIANT hellgate right in the middle of town and think "Hmm, that might be a problem down the road" and deal with it there. What Dante was told by Lady was a Diabolical plot that had to do with a religious cult that kills demons and collect devil arms. When there, should've just gotten that hellgate in the middle of town, then the rest of them, and finally go all the way to the order, get Sparda, shoot Sanctus again, and boom, done.
I understand letting Nero look cool and all, but don't make it so damn faulty and solvable if Dante did it, writers.
Well like I said, main gate was only piece of stone and would remain so until Agnus got Yamato. But due to Nero's capture it was powered on. So i'd say the only mistake Dante made in this case is to allow NEro march on with Yamato.

berto

I Saw the Devil
How would he have beaten Sanctus before getting absorbed?
Bullet to the head works nicely.

When Nero encountered Sanctus and fought him, he was unable to beat him because he had taken the Yamato from him, and aside from that, Nero hadn't completely accepted his demonic side, and Kyrie was used as a lure. All of that makes for quite the obstacle for Nero... and he was just too weak on his own versus Sanctus.
It was only at the very end (after the trials in the Savior) that Nero finally accepted his demonic side and became more confident and powerful.
Yeah, I know. Dante shouldn't have let him go at it, he should've intervene rather than trust Nero to pull it off with all those obstacles in his way.

''Since it doesn't work anyway''? They needed to destroy the Savior so it couldn't be used again... and destroying it from the outside was impossible. Of course, somebody needed to be absorbed. It took both Dante and Nero to defeat it, not just Nero.
The Savior was immobilized by Dante due to the destruction of the crystals. Subsequently, the Savior was downgraded in power to the 'false Savior' by Nero's defeat of Sanctus. I don't see how Dante's faith in Nero backfired on him if Nero killed Sanctus on his own and destroyed the Savior.
It's just how the story goes.
Or, they could've killed Sanctus, then take their sweet time figuring out how to get inside of the thing, destroy it from there with whatever works, and then dump the remains at the bottom of the ocean. Best part, since everyone thinks Sanctus is already dead they can do it with no one ever been the wiser.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Bullet to the head works nicely.

Or, they could've killed Sanctus, then take their sweet time figuring out how to get inside of the thing, destroy it from there with whatever works, and then dump the remains at the bottom of the ocean. Best part, since everyone thinks Sanctus is already dead they can do it with no one ever been the wiser.
- I just gave many reasons for why Nero was not able to beat Sanctus before getting absorbed. A bullet to the head would not work nicely. After Sanctus's ascension, even Dante wouldn't be able to kill him with just a bullet to the head -- besides, he was closing those hell gates at that point in the story.

- Like I said, killing Sanctus was not going to work. And there was no indication that it was even possible to get inside the Savior without being absorbed. For all we know, the Savior was built specifically for Sanctus to use, which it seems like it was. So no, I really don't think you could just 'get inside it' just like that. It's not a car. Sorry, but I'm done with this conversation.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
at the time the manga was written, it was still canon. If it's any indication, dante doesn't hold to any of his rules, or really give any thought to his business. It's common for him to turn down high paying jobs because he's just not into them, but then take on jobs that pay little to nothing just because they're interesting (which is what he says, but the reality is he's a big ol' softie). Naturally this puts him at constant odds with his information broker Enzo, who makes part of his living on taking a cut of what dante earns.

Basically the shop only exists because dante lives like a human, and like every human he pretty much has to have a job. He's only good at one thing, and it may as well be hunting demons, but despite doing it for a living he still just does what he wants

Top Bottom