• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I wish they would've characterized Dante better.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well the point that've been missing all the time is that actually demon gates were opened long before Dante and Trish even appeared in Fortuna. Like those flood of scarecrows in opening. So "she" had nothing to do with opened gates and demon's attack. If you consider, than it's actually Nero who repaired Yamato and enable them to rip rift open, allowing demons to overran the city.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Then again the situation was easy to deal until Trish decided to have fun. Novel tells us, Dante was trying to confront Trish over what she had done, but she remembered so much his mother when she was angry, he just gave up.Late, Dante met Lady( Lady was not only in Fortuna, but doing an active role, but Capcom decide to take it off) and began to mumble; Lady asked why he was like that and what happened, Dante explained what Trish had done and Lady's jaw dropped. That's why Lady confronted Trish at the end, since Dante had not guts to do so.
Yamato was only used late in game, when Nero woke the devil inside.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Then again the situation was easy to deal until Trish decided to have fun. Novel tells us, Dante was trying to confront Trish over what she had done, but she remembered so much his mother when she was angry, he just gave up.Late, Dante met Lady( Lady was not only in Fortuna, but doing an active role, but Capcom decide to take it off) and began to mumble; Lady asked why he was like that and what happened, Dante explained what Trish had done and Lady's jaw dropped. That's why Lady confronted Trish at the end, since Dante had not guts to do so.
Yamato was only used late in game, when Nero woke the devil inside.
Well problem with it, is that Sparda sword was never used in demo gates opening. So Trish action had actually no impact on amount of demons flooding the city. I never read novel so I won'T comment on it, yet problem is that situation was already out of control. Whole city lived in blockade, surrounded by demons released by Agnus and Sanctus. And they were already mass-producing angel armours and turning order members into demons. On top of that giant demon gates were placed all over the city and if somebody didn't pulled plug on it, city was most likely completely anihilated.

Gel

Premium
AND until that moment Bianco Angelos were enough to deal with the smaller devils who were freed by Agnus. What raised Lady's suspicions ( and Dante's, apparently) where these new " devil hunters" appeared from nowhere , caught some demons and were interested in acquiring DA. That's why Lady says something about her suspicions, but she has no real proof if those guys are dangerous at all.Novel goes on further (unless I understand wrongly, since it was Japanese) Trish went to investigate earlier than someone else and stayed there at least for a month, with Lady paying her expenses and transportation.If the situation was more dangerous, I suppose Dante would interfere earlier.
I don't know if Sunny has more information on this.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
AND until that moment Bianco Angelos were enough to deal with the smaller devils who were freed by Agnus. What raised Lady's suspicions ( and Dante's, apparently) where these new " devil hunters" appeared from nowhere , caught some demons and were interested in acquiring DA. That's why Lady says something about her suspicions, but she has no real proof if those guys are dangerous at all.Novel goes on further (unless I understand wrongly, since it was Japanese) Trish went to investigate earlier than someone else and stayed there at least for a month, with Lady paying her expenses and transportation.If the situation was more dangerous, I suppose Dante would interfere earlier.
I don't know if Sunny has more information on this.
Well I'm not so sure Angelos alone were enough. In the very beginning we see how city is overrun with demons who broke through barriers or escaped Agnus' lab. City was already in ruin and Sanctus always planned to unleash demons on it's citizens. Lady gave Dante rumors, but she didn't knew that Agnus turned into demon and was manipulating chaos in Fortuna. From my impression demons was released on citizens as means to hold them under his cult control with order serving as national heroes, while in truth being reason why those attacks were taking place.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Oh, you know, considering how in DMC4 he at least considered saving people in city and they parted with Trish to do it, while nDante done everything to raise victim count to the max. And he done it mainly because he just followed Vergil instead of thinking for himself. And it's not like he wasn't warned that ****ing mundus gonna rekt city.

Dude DMC4 Dante let Nero get swallowed up by the Savior and gave it the ability to move and destroy the city. Dante could've just destroyed the hell gates from the beginning to avoid all this but didn't. What's his excuse? nDante might of f*cked up, but DMC4 Dante had NO excuse since he had more experience.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Dude DMC4 Dante let Nero get swallowed up by the Savior and gave it the ability to move and destroy the city. Dante could've just destroyed the hell gates from the beginning to avoid all this but didn't. What's his excuse? nDante might of f*cked up, but DMC4 Dante had NO excuse since he had more experience.
Was it actually implied Dante knew all about Sanctus plan and what was he doing all along? Otherwise it would seem strange that he though that he put end to him by shooting him in the head....

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
If you paid close attention to what Dante says and how he acts, you'll realize it was Dante's plan to let Nero get swallowed by the Savior, because as he put it: ''if the exterior's solid, then you gotta take it out from the inside''. He then shot the Yamato into the Savior for Nero to grab. Chances are he even knew about Sanctus's intentions from the get-go -- after all, Trish had infiltrated the Order of the Sword as Gloria. In fact, she was even held in high regard, and it's possible she played the role of Gloria for a long time. As Sanctus said ''she once brought us the sword Sparda'', the word 'once' implying that it was probably a while ago.

And at no point was Dante uncaring about Nero's fate. He cried out Nero's name when he got no response from him while he was inside the Savior, and he seemed fairly upset for a second there. He even watched Nero from a rooftop in the intro, which makes it probable that he followed Nero's life before the Order of the Sword became a problem. Of course, it could've been the first time Nero's existence became clear to him, but DMC4 is pretty vague about the timespan: remember the intro when Trish disappeared to go to the Order for the first time, with Dante coming after her? Now remember Sanctus indicating Trish's (Gloria's) membership was a fairly long one. Obviously, if Dante followed Trish right away, then he must've been in Fortuna for a while.

As for the main topic:

''If you're a poor person, who is having a demon problem, you might as well not even bother calling, Devil May Cry.''
It depends on what type of demon problem you're having. Not all demons are evil, not all wreak havoc all the time. And we all know Dante will do things he said he rather wouldn't do, because his pesky conscience gets in the way :p The contrast between Dante's mood and actions is meant for comic relief too, you know. Also, what Sunny said.

''Just imagine how many people got hurt and/or killed because Dante said a job didn't sound fun or stalled because he was busy doing something far less important.''
As far as I know, he doesn't just leave people to their fate, unless the issue can be easily resolved by the clients themselves. Again, it depends on the situation. If somebody's at risk of losing their life (demon and human alike), I think you can bet on Dante helping. As for the rest, that's Trish or Lady's job, and we know Trish can handle situations pretty well... I mean, she's like a super-demon created by Mundus, who managed to hold her own against Dante for a short while in DMC1. Lady can handle the less demanding jobs, but still do a good job considering her strength and skill.

As for the password, do we even know if people actually need it? What if whoever's calling sounds very desperate -- would Trish let go of the password rule? If people do need the password, how hard is it to get? There's too many questions. I pretty much agree with Sunny on this too.

To return to the previous post,
''Dude DMC4 Dante let Nero get swallowed up by the Savior and gave it the ability to move and destroy the city. Dante could've just destroyed the hell gates from the beginning to avoid all this but didn't. What's his excuse?''
He did destroy some hell gates... I doubt he's Superman and can just do everything at once. Also, it wasn't the Savior's (Sanctus's) intention to destroy the city -- where are you getting this from? The intention was to kill the demons that came out of the hell gate, to put on a display of power and make his cult stronger because of it. He wanted to play god, and probably turn the entire human population into demons, which he and Credo saw as angels: ''the next step in evolution''. Funny, that coming from a religious organization.

It seems to me that some of you have misinterpreted DMC4's story, which would understandably lead you to hate it (more).

Gel

Premium
Hmm, so that information I have about Trish stayed in Fortuna at least a month is true.Basically, then everything I gathered is true.That's interesting!
But now I've new questions:
Is it possible Trish knew more about the Order but hid that just to have fun? Was Dante really interested in Nero or, at least, his origins? Well, novel says Dante was not interested in anything related to Nero.He just didn't care!
Why Dante , if he was so concerned about humans, didn't confronted Trish about her plans?For what he wants, she doesn't remind her mother, but in this case, she does?Are you being too duplicitous, Dante?
Does this means it was the first time Lady had legit right to a part of that money, but since Capcom turned her in a gold digger and in a psychopathic gal, nobody cared and just called her a b*tch ?
If Trish wasn't sexy and blond, she would be punish in the end and not forgiven by everybody and their mothers?
And the last: does DMC has a future as a story based franchise?With all the flanderization it has?

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think they didn't expected for Dante to pop up and ruin their plan, because without his intervention it would have succeeded
Actually, the plan was to capture Dante and use him as the heart of the Saviour but their plan relied on the notion that the could capture him, which looked like it didn't even occur to them that they might not be able to. That's where the plan fell apart, because they didn't think that a) Dante was beyond capturing and b) that if he was around and they couldn't use him he'd get in their way and succeed.

Dude DMC4 Dante let Nero get swallowed up by the Savior and gave it the ability to move and destroy the city.
Honestly, I thought that that was Dante 'having faith' in Nero, which looks like backfired on him.

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Hmm, so that information I have about Trish stayed in Fortuna at least a month is true.Basically, then everything I gathered is true.That's interesting!
But now I've new questions:
Is it possible Trish knew more about the Order but hid that just to have fun? Was Dante really interested in Nero or, at least, his origins? Well, novel says Dante was not interested in anything related to Nero.He just didn't care!
Why Dante , if he was so concerned about humans, didn't confronted Trish about her plans?For what he wants, she doesn't remind her mother, but in this case, she does?Are you being too duplicitous, Dante?
Does this means it was the first time Lady had legit right to a part of that money, but since Capcom turned her in a gold digger and in a psychopathic gal, nobody cared and just called her a b*tch ?
If Trish wasn't sexy and blond, she would be punish in the end and not forgiven by everybody and their mothers?
And the last: does DMC has a future as a story based franchise?With all the flanderization it has?
I don't know about Trish staying there at least a month, nor do I know anything about what it is you gathered, or whether it's true.

As for your point about Dante, I'm not sure I follow. In DMC4, it seemed like he did what he could to keep humans out of danger, by defeating enemies while closing the hell gates. Trish was almost never with him; presumably, she was saving civilians from any possible demon attack, though the Alto Angelos already took care of that too. As I recall, there was a cutscene in which a family was trapped at a dead end -- Alto Angelos saved them from approaching demons. The Savior dealt with most enemies, while the Alto Angelos dealt with stragglers.
What do you mean by a 'psychopathic gal'? I don't believe we see much of Trish, and when we do, she doesn't seem to act psychopathic to me. She plays the role of Gloria... I suppose that role is meant to be over-the-top. When she doesn't play that role, she's pretty stoic. She's a strong character too, no apparent male chauvinism involved... so I'm afraid I don't understand the 'blond hair/sexy' comment... have I missed something the novel said? As for flanderization (an apparently unaccepted word created by some random person on one website), flanderization of what? Each DMC was different from the last, along with their characters. Does Dante have less emotional depth than he did in DMC3? Not necessarily -- he displays plenty of emotions, possibly more than he did in DMC3. After all, in DMC3, it was basically 'upbeat and cocky' and 'saddened by Vergil's death' and 'resolute to do something/change something' and that was pretty much it. In DMC4, Dante displays affection for Nero (last cutscene), was upset by Nero's silence (in the Savior), was apparently in some way moved by Credo's request, acted mentor-like to Nero, and so on and so forth. Just because the story focused more on Nero's journey and feelings than Dante doesn't mean Dante was completely ruined as a character. Sometimes you just don't have more material to work with.
DMC has whatever future Capcom decides it has. They probably had plans for a story with Nero in DMC5, so at least we would've had a new story with a new protagonist. I don't feel the need for DMC to follow one particular story; for all I care, each game can be a new story of its own, but it looks like they wanted to continue with Nero at least. I'll take that over DINO (Dante in name only) any day -- one of the reasons I got into Devil May Cry was because of its heroic and over-the-top, fun-loving and cynical characters. All DMCs had it, DmC didn't.

Last edited:

Gel

Premium
Psychopathic gal is what Capcom calls Lady in DMC3; psychotic if you will.A strict cold hearted woman is what Lady is in DMC4.
Sexy blond is what I call Trish, she plays basically a noxious role in DMC4, putting in danger everyone just for fun, but you never see fans discussing this.Imagine it was Lady, Lucia or even Kat: they would be condemned by every fan, so yes I'm saying Trish has a lot of privilege over everybody. If it was other girl( or man, for that matter) Dante would obliterated her/him. But he fears/ is obsessed over her, so he forgives everything she does.
While most people think Dante really cares about humans, I don't believe much on that. You have a human woman alone in a devilish tower and he doesn't care too much: he doesn't ask how she arrived there, for most of the game he never care where she was about, he only fights for her because of their clash of egos more than anything, says he will solve everything, but just get ride of Arkham with Vergil's help and that's it.If Vergil really wanted to finish Lady off, he would do, Dante wouldn't care anyway. In the end Dante is not so much different of what he was in the beginning.
Flanderization happens when Dante's love for pizza is exaggerated, overly lazy, childish as never before, Lady is more greedy than ever ( trait she never had in DMC3) Trish is ruthless and moody without reason.
Anyway, you got my point. DMC5 would never be about Dante, it would be about anyone else.In that sense, it wouldn't be so different of having DmC done, since DmC Dante is a new character altogether.The fan backlash of having anyone else but Dante would got Capcom in trouble anyway.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Dante has a mercenary business, but he only takes jobs that have that password he's looking for - demons/monsters. He tends no to concern himself with normal people with normal problems like cheating wives and bodyguarding (unless he's really hard up for cash), he created Devil May Cry to kill demons, one day finding the ones responsible for killing his mother and brother and exacting revenge. You also have to remember that Enzo is his informant, a man who almost acts as Dante's connection to the rest of the world. So if someone has a particular problem that they're seeking deliverance from, word gets out, and it's to be assumed that they are given Dante's number (amazingly it's never disconnected :p). It ends up being a lot like many other underground dealings where someone "knows a guy who knows a guy."

Dante's never really in it for the money, and doesn't take it when he actually helps someone with a demon problem, hence why he's constantly in debt - he only takes specific jobs, and then doesn't usually take any compensation from them.

His attentiveness to problems in the world is probably connected to the information he gets from Enzo. I s'pose it's to be assumed that nothing really big happens betwixt the things we hear about in the franchise. Essentially, we're playing/reading/watching all of the big catastrophes in the DMC universe.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Actually, the plan was to capture Dante and use him as the heart of the Saviour but their plan relied on the notion that the could capture him, which looked like it didn't even occur to them that they might not be able to. That's where the plan fell apart, because they didn't think that a) Dante was beyond capturing and b) that if he was around and they couldn't use him he'd get in their way and succeed.
I don't think they expected him to appear before they were ready. Thanks to Lady's info he basically ambushed them and they ended their preparations in haste. But i doubt he expected kid with Sparda's blood in there before he arrived in Fortuna

Bazilican

Was it actually implied Dante knew all about Sanctus plan and what was he doing all along? Otherwise it would seem strange that he though that he put end to him by shooting him in the head....

So the giant hellgate in the middle of the city didn't at all catch his attention? Cause it was RIGHT there. Plus he said during his second meeting with Nero "It must be the affects of the gates". Well then why not take care said gates AFTER you shot Sanctus Mr. douchete instead of letting people get slaughtered in the name of looking cool? Unless I'm missing something from the novel.

If you paid close attention to what Dante says and how he acts, you'll realize it was Dante's plan to let Nero get swallowed by the Savior, because as he put it: ''if the exterior's solid, then you gotta take it out from the inside''. He then shot the Yamato into the Savior for Nero to grab. Chances are he even knew about Sanctus's intentions from the get-go -- after all, Trish had infiltrated the Order of the Sword as Gloria. In fact, she was even held in high regard, and it's possible she played the role of Gloria for a long time. As Sanctus said ''she once brought us the sword Sparda'', the word 'once' implying that it was probably a while ago.

So be a horses ass and risk the only family you have's life on the line just so you can kill a demon that you could easily beat? Because if I remember right, Dante said and I quote: 'Cause I'm about to send this guy on a trip to hell' implying he COULD'VE killed the statue on his own no problem if not for Nero and Kyrie in it. But that all could've been avoided if Dante had just destroyed all those gates that Nero had to deal with first and foremost, and demand Sparda back from Trish. (cause she was LITERALLY putting thousands of lives at risk just for some fun to drag Dante along) With no Sparda, Sanctus would stay dead most likely.

It was a d*ck move from a d*ck character.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
So the giant hellgate in the middle of the city didn't at all catch his attention? Cause it was RIGHT there. Plus he said during his second meeting with Nero "It must be the affects of the gates". Well then why not take care said gates AFTER you shot Sanctus Mr. douchete instead of letting people get slaughtered in the name of looking cool? Unless I'm missing something from the novel.
Like I said, I have no knowledge on the novel. Besides is it canon? Since DMC's novels tend not to be. As for being busy, wasn't he busy at the time of second meeting with trying to prevent Nero from walking into deathtrap? (which he did anyway) As far as i understood DMC4 Dante was investigating what was happening in Fortuna during Nero'S chapters. That's why Nero followed him into Agnus' lab.

berto

I Saw the Devil

So be a horses ass and risk the only family you have's life on the line just so you can kill a demon that you could easily beat? Because if I remember right, Dante said and I quote: 'Cause I'm about to send this guy on a trip to hell' implying he COULD'VE killed the statue on his own no problem if not for Nero and Kyrie in it. But that all could've been avoided if Dante had just destroyed all those gates that Nero had to deal with first and foremost, and demand Sparda back from Trish. (cause she was LITERALLY putting thousands of lives at risk just for some fun to drag Dante along) With no Sparda, Sanctus would stay dead most likely.

It was a d*ck move from a d*ck character.
Dude, they're called plot holes. You make it sound like he went out of his way to let people die. I get that you don't like the character but I how many protagonists do you know that are written explicitly like what you are describing? Not that many and certainly not this one.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Dante and Devil May Cry in general was never deep or complex. It's all about as complex as a kindergarten coloring book. Capcom never had the best writers in the biz at heir disposal. I mean, just look at their story telling prowess in the Resident Evil series and etc.

While not also the greatest story and characters I've ever seen. DmC does excel in that department actually keeping a coherent plot and having characters go through growth. All that jazz.

But I still think the best was the spirit of the first game and the first time we ever saw Dante. I just saw a form a storytelling that was way more self aware in embracing its cheese and a protagonist who did the same. It was like the style of stuff like Evil Dead if it were done by the Japanese.

Bazilican

Like I said, I have no knowledge on the novel. Besides is it canon? Since DMC's novels tend not to be. As for being busy, wasn't he busy at the time of second meeting with trying to prevent Nero from walking into deathtrap? (which he did anyway) As far as i understood DMC4 Dante was investigating what was happening in Fortuna during Nero'S chapters. That's why Nero followed him into Agnus' lab.

It was obvious what was wrong. Dante HIMSELF even said it; "It must be the affects of the GATE. Meaning he had plenty of time to destroy the hellgates himself, but pussyfooted around and left it to Nero while he did god-knows-what. Oh and good job Dante at preventing Nero from walking into a deathtrap and then let him walk into almost all of them, fight him, and be like "naw, go ahead anyway" instead of maybe warning him.

Dude, they're called plot holes. You make it sound like he went out of his way to let people die. I get that you don't like the character but I how many protagonists do you know that are written explicitly like what you are describing? Not that many and certainly not this one.

I know that they're ploholes, but they're obvious plotholes that could've been filled but were completely skipped over to make Nero look cool.

Top Bottom