• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How could have Capcom "reconstructed" the old series?

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
It was fans that made the character Dante mean something to Capcom.
Capcom paid for creation.
Designers created DMC 1 for Capcom.

Fans supported DMC and it's character over course of 10 years.
Drawing fan art. Creating videos. Cosplay Etc
FREE MARKETING = FANS SUPPORT

Fans aren't entitled to anything but respect for what they are supporting and themselfs from Capcom.
Capcom didn't respect Dante:
http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/08/nin...that-capcom-didnt-want-the-same-old-with-dmc/

They rejected him for sake of money. Yes, DmC is product of greed (irony: DmC story). Capcom wanted God of War sales.
They also showed little respect towards fans of DMC or their general fans what so ever.

Even though Ninja theory did alot of things DMC fans did not approve of: at end of day Capcom is the "person" responisble for us not seeing Dante.

If Capcom created a DMC 5, i would pirate it (perhaps not even play it). Because they rebooted DMC and rejected Dante for money. And creating DMC 5 won't be because of anything but money.

Any fans who welcome Capcom to create a DMC 5 with open arms have no selfrespect or respect for what they are fan of.
I don't even know how to reply to that. Not everyone has the same views and opinions as you, so there isn't a point of saying that. Your basically judging other people because they don't have the same views as you.

tumblr_m7v4b1SMwO1rttgtd.gif

I'll be damned if you try and tell me that I don't respect DMC and that I'm not a fan.

IncarnatedDemon

I'll be damned if you try and tell me that I don't respect DMC and that I'm not a fan.
I haven't.

But if you are fan of original Dante, and have seen Capcom replace him and read their statement that they didn't want original Dante, then how can you still welcome Capcom with open arms?
They also expressed that they probably wouldnt have made DMC game, and made DmC because Ninja theory was on board.
They told NT we dont want DMC.

They later said "We firmly believe just because a door is opened doesnt mean another is closed".
And "DmC is a expansion".
Yet, last DMC game with original Dante in it was around 5 years ago.
And they didn't even have respect for original Dante to put him into Playstation allstar as well. They put only DmC Dante.

And where is the DMC 5 announcement?
To me it seems they waited to see how DmC sales would do before they decided whether they would make a DMC or not, and that's not good enough for me. That's arsehole behavior.

So again how can you be fan of something that Capcom has shown through action they don't care to much for, and later when Capcom may think "Well make DMC 5 for milking", youll go "YES YEs YES YES YES!!".

Time is ticking for Capcom. If by end of october there is no DMC game announcement, then we can conclude with safety that they are on the milking path for sure.
For me i think they would be milking DMC even if they announced DMC game development much earlier than october.

It's one thing to say something, and do something.
Capcom has done little. Infact...if your a fan of original Dante and want to see more of him, Capcom's goal with DmC was to get you to forget about original Dante and accept DmC Dante as the successor.
In other words they hoped to permanently replace original Dante and never go back to a DMC game if the sales of DmC were good.
That's only conclusion i come to when i think about: How DmC Dante is not a character that depends so much on original Dante.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I haven't.

But if you are fan of original Dante, and have seen Capcom replace him and read their statement that they didn't want original Dante, then how can you still welcome Capcom with open arms?
They also expressed that they probably wouldnt have made DMC game, and made DmC because Ninja theory was on board.
They told NT we dont want DMC.

They later said "We firmly believe just because a door is opened doesnt mean another is closed".
And "DmC is a expansion".
Yet, last DMC game with original Dante in it was around 5 years ago.
And they didn't even have respect for original Dante to put him into Playstation allstar as well. They put only DmC Dante.

And where is the DMC 5 announcement?
To me it seems they waited to see how DmC sales would do before they decided whether they would make a DMC or not, and that's not good enough for me. That's arsehole behavior.

So again how can you be fan of something that Capcom has shown through action they don't care to much for, and later when Capcom may think "Well make DMC 5 for milking", youll go "YES YEs YES YES YES!!".

Time is ticking for Capcom. If by end of october there is no DMC game announcement, then we can conclude with safety that they are on the milking path for sure.
For me i think they would be milking DMC even if they announced DMC game development much earlier than october.

It's one thing to say something, and do something.
Capcom has done little. Infact...if your a fan of original Dante and want to see more of him, Capcom's goal with DmC was to get you to forget about original Dante and accept DmC Dante as the successor.
In other words they hoped to permanently replace original Dante and never go back to a DMC game if the sales of DmC were good.
That's only conclusion i come to when i think about: How DmC Dante is not a character that depends so much on original Dante.
The thing about your post is that most of it are simply you assuming things and I'll be damned if I judge someone based on mere assumptions.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I haven't.

How DmC Dante is not a character that depends so much on original Dante.
WHICH "Original" dante are you talking about ?

This Dante ?
dmc1dante.jpg
or THIS dante ?
DMC4_Screens__Dante_Rose_Toned_by_rog1234.jpg

IncarnatedDemon

WHICH "Original" dante are you talking about ?

This Dante ?
dmc1dante.jpg
or THIS dante ?
DMC4_Screens__Dante_Rose_Toned_by_rog1234.jpg
Considering that DMC 4 Dante didn't change his herritage and he looks more or less the same, i am talking about both of them.

Though i love DMC 4Dante's trolling
I think original Dante (DMC 1) was pretty good character.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Considering that DMC 4 Dante didn't change his herritage and he looks more or less the same, i am talking about both of them.

Though i love DMC 4Dante's trolling
I think original Dante (DMC 1) was pretty good character.

I like the two of them too, even knowing that DMC4 Dante is exaggerated in his funny behavior, they tried to follow what they did in DMC3 but ended hurting the coherence between Dante's personality over the ages (DMC3-1-4). As i've explained in the original post of this thread, this could be easily corrected with a remake of the first one relating the story emphasising that he were at a more tense and personal situation (all the Mundus killed my family thing).

IncarnatedDemon

Listen guys: i accept DMC 3 and 4, and even DMC 2 Dante as Dante.

Because they didnt change him that much. DMC 2 dante was very weird personality wise though. He didnt seem "Dante" at all.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Listen guys: i accept DMC 3 and 4, and even DMC 2 Dante as Dante.

Because they didnt change him that much. DMC 2 dante was very weird personality wise though. He didnt seem "Dante" at all.

Yes, but it's nearly the same thing about your topic in the DmC forum about Eva's wings, this could be perfectly explained as Dante is a half-breed who probably ages much slower to other human beings (like Lady or Patty), the same thing that happened to Dante happens to Vampires and Elfs on RPG (D&D, Vampire: The Masquerade) fantasy worlds regarding humans: they couldn't sustain a longtime emotion about humans as their notion of time is very different, even if they have the same feelings inside they became much more "cold" because if they care too much about some humans sooner or later they will die and they will be left alone in the world until them die too. That's why i think Trish is an interesting character to hang with Dante, she's a demon too and can stay with him unless someone kills her.

Some ideas about Nero and Vergil just popped out from my head right now:

As i said, they have total control to make changes on the storyline and this is much more true about how older the characters is (obviously this have to match on how they looks like), as they are never told in the games. They could make a timeline that fits that Vergil is Nero's father thing, and i've actualy come with an interesting relation to make the already existent lust for power in Vergil more true, visualise this scenario:

A kind human family compound by a little girl just a bit more older than Vergil, and a young couple that are her parents who have, let's say, a rare disease refuges Vergil when found him "lost" and slowly regaining his memory of the recent events (he remembers he had a brother, but as time passes and he don't find him, he assumes that or he's dead or that he's safe anywhere), it happens a little time after his mother death (they could take inspiration here from the manga that shows a child Vergil being tortured by some demons, discovering a good portion of his demonic power, including his devil form) and as time passes and they grew up, Vergil was becoming more and more attached to that girl and is seeing her parents (and his second family) dying slowly and again realizing that he is powerless when it comes to matters of life an death, mainly when it comes to human life. As time passes, her parents die, the two kids start to live for themselves as "normal humans" (demons still found Vergil because of his demonic power, so they kinda not live an average human life, that can explain why he is an skillfuly warrior too) and he impregnates her; but them they discover that she has the same disease as their parents and is dying too, this could be the kickstart to Vergil interest in the Black Arts and his father's power, he went to study the Black Arts and became obssessed with the idea to give his lover demonic power too, he knows that he's nearly unaffected by illness and that demonic power could save her. Then he discovers a ritual similar to that Arkhan used to get his demonic powers, he has to sacrifice a pure woman in order to give her lover the demonic power and he sees this as the only way to save her, simplifying things: he fails on that subject because of his human emotions (that were kinda cultivated by the time he spended with this human family that treated him like he was blood-related to them) and this would give a great background to explain why he's trying to get rid of his human side and becoming more of a demon, his mind is twisted because of his human emotions, he desires to be a cold-hearted demon and a guardian who seeks the power to protect anyone he loves, all this at the same time. He's lost in his own sadness and tough experiences (and forces himself to not show this) but without depressing himself and trying to correcting all that he (thinks) done wrong in the past. Nero is born and again Vergil has a loved one dying on his arms, he's lost one more time and his humans feelings are leaving deep scars into his soul and now it is becoming darker and darker, taking what is left from his scattered humanity he take a decision to make his newborn son not live the same disgraceful life as him, the better way he finds to protect his own son from having the same destiny as himself, is to let he grew up as a human amongst humans and far from his father and his heritage then he goes into another quest: Along his studies Vergil gets to know about Fortuna and their "story" and obssession with Sparda, he makes contact with the elders of Fortuna, defeats a load of their army man to prove that he's indeed a Son of Sparda and teach them about the Black Arts, he says that he probably will be back to ask a favor in payment to this knowledge he gifted to them. And here is when Nero comes to scene, he was send to an orphanage by the time while they don't know what to do with him, ironic his destiny among the humans became very similar to that of his father who is to be embraced by a human family. So, the events pre-DMC3 and DMC3 starts, when he meets Dante again and beat him to show that if he is not powerful enough he will be condemned to a miserable fate (like he was, but don't explain), this atittude can be seen as a distorted proof of the love Vergil feels for Dante, he want Dante to grow stronger because he thinks that it's the only way they were meant for living (this could be relate with the books he read about the Black Arts, who is basicaly knowledge that humans acquired about demons and their powers, and to a certain extent praised the demons and we know that the unwritten law of demons is power by itself).

The rest is story. And to make something like this is just a matter of reviewing the timeline and explaining things better (as i already discussed on the first topic). I think that old DMC series has much potential to be a deep and touching story if it would be expanded and explored, because it already has interesting and cool characters. Vergil himself is a very intruiguing one, you can see he's fighting his human emotions but we have no idea why he have that strong desire to be powerful and more a demon than a human.

See, i'm not even a good writter and could think in something like this, and i did this in like... 30 minutes. This is why i don't think the series needed a reboot, it's not messed that hard.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
If you follow the games, you will find out Dante ages at same rate Lady does, as a human. DMC4 novel confirms that , even if he is an half-demon, his body ages like a normal human.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
If you follow the games, you will find out Dante ages at same rate Lady does, as a human. DMC4 novel confirms that , even if he is an half-demon, his body ages like a normal human.

I've never read it, i'll give it a try. But it could be a thing similar with the elves that i mentioned before, they age until they get mature just like humans, and them they stop for a long time. In other words: their bodys develops in a identical way as the humans but they take longer to get older as their bodies gets completely mature

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
You could go to devils-lair.org, there you'll find a translation( more or less) of that novel.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
It's also considering a joke since "Dante's cells are by all means human:" that Bingo trie dto press flies right contrary to what we'd already seen in the games and other media; he does not heal or age like normal humans, Bingo said that to try and make Nero "more special". He even tried to say Nero was more powerful than Dante, from DANTE'S PoV. The guy who KILLED TWO VERSIONS OF MUNDUS.

TheOneGirl

All I have to say here is that Dante couldn't go anywhere but up from Devil May Cry 4...I guess Capcom ran out of ideas for the series, or do you think Capcom was just lazy to make another game so they decided to reboot it and give it to Ninja Theory? Do you agree? Classic Dante and I agree.
8410325645_f2cf9c1649_c.jpg

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
i think the cause of the inconsistencies is cause you have different writers who don't want to work together so they dont bother checking each others work and building off what the other has done.

Having multiple writerrs on ione project isnt really a problem because thats how most things are written these days. NT's past two games were written by multiple people as is uncharted, kindom hearts, AC etc . Only difference is that they share a clear vision or at least agree on shared one.

So trying to remake the games to have a more coherent storyline and more connections to not only the other games but the spinoff materials would be ok even if its too pricey.

Top Bottom