• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How can this combat system be expanded?

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
of course, exceed and i need to go deeper with the styles, i'm just using them commands and haven't bother going deep with it.. i still haven't play it the right way then, could tell from always hurting my thumb joint when playing both DMC3 and 4.. sure hope the game has training mode, oh, training mode could be a good idea

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Seeing as Styles already have forward and backward directional inputs, the next logical step would be left and right inputs. That's a minimum of eight new ability slots right there.

Yeah I was talking more about the actual moves.

Veloran

Yeah I was talking more about the actual moves.
Well, let's say that these new directional inputs are result in abilities that combine factors of the Style you are currently using, and also the other Style you're "pointing" to.

For example, R1 -> Left -> B while in Swordmaster with Rebellion equipped would be some kind of dashing, dodging slash, as it's incorporating elements from the Trickster Style.

R1 -> Right -> B under the same conditions could be some kind of parry with Rebellion, referencing Royal Guard.

So say you use them in sequence. With the first move you'd get a closer with I-frames (Like Trickster's teleport) that does minor damage, but has a short recovery animation, and doesn't knock enemies away or stun them like Stinger. Then they'd be very likely to retaliate and attack you, but if you were to do the second move, you could parry their attack, thus allowing you to to let loose on them.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Give dante a reverse air trick or side air trick or something else in trickster , allow the actual jacpot shot in gunslinger with other moves , swordmaster could be dance macbre with 4 or 5 extra moves ending in an overdrive for rebellion and other moves and royal gaurd could allow youto form a shield like vergil that protects you while you move , dark slayer if dante still had it could give him judgement cut or dark moves for rrebellion you could add an extra move or two to each style

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Personally, the only move I was missing that I wanted in the latest game was Free Ride. DmC took a lot of stuff and finally brought it to a more natural evolution. And once I got the hang of the angel and demon modes, I found it to be pretty comfortable. If only they didn't have the color coded enemies. I can see on paper it was something to encourage players to experiment, but it would just pause any stylish combo you had going if you used the wrong weapon by mistake.

It's a great system just not living up to its full potential like Two says. Even if a hypothetical DMC 5 comes out, it needs to incorporate things from the latest game to some extent. It has great ideas. Fun fact, a lot of stuff in DmC was going to be used as early as DMC 3. When Itsuno met with NT for collaboration, he went on record saying that. If they mixed the right stuff from the two different incarnations, you could have the best combat system ever. The two compliment each other more than anything. They're both Devil May Cry anyway, people need to stop treating them differently.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I agree , but i say in DMC5 they should keep the styles on d pad but make a bybrid of DMC4's and DmC's weapon switching so you can oull off DMC4 expert jc easier and make it more fun and less finger and thum ache ha i still have blisters from doing hours of s raves and other stuff even now , plus my forearm isn't up for it now

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Anyway, that's all just sort of where my mind jumps to on the subject of Nero and arm upgrades. In the theoretical game itself, each form would have a wide array of different specific reactions and actions to and from the enemy roster. Hopefully, that would encourage tons of experimentation and replay to discover what can be done.
Awesome ideas :D Maybe it would be awesome if some of those transformation had some abilities like blocking specific projectiles.
Also maybe there would be some sort of upgrades for it to be combined with Blue Rose into some sort of projectile weapons, or longer weapons like weapons from Castlevania, Onimusha or GoW. Maybe just like Dante he can transform not only melee weapons but also his guns (since Dante also has different Firearms) Though it may make control scheme to complex, maybe.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
For Dante I could see the following things:

I would incorporate several Movement inputs that Nero has. For example back->forward->Attack would result in Dance Macabre. He would also have the Airial Rave and Helmbreaker options of Nero, which in my opinion was handled weirdly in DMC4 anyway.
That way we got more space for expanded movesets.

These could be incorporated for Gunplay as well.

Instead of 3 Weapons at a time I'd return to the DMC3 formular. But I'd set 2 different weapon sets for each style, which means you'd change weapons with stylechange as well.

Other things I would change:

Lock On:
Make it a one button press to lock on, changing the target would be done by pressing the right stick.

Give me a dedicated Block/Dodge button. (I did not fully decide how I'd do that)

Bring back flying, like in DMC2, I think that is something that can be expanded upon.

Bring back Wallrunning as a general feature, like in Prince of Persia.

There is more on my mind, but all these ideas are just things that are not thought out very well, maybe you guys can expand upon those a little.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@ef9 o shea an actual Jackpot!!! move? Man, that'd be awesome! What if they give Dante Doppleganger back and allow you to pull off that move with your doppler, like Dante and Vergil do in DMC3?

@Erian1Mortal Prince of Persia-ish wallrun? Awesome too. What if they also allow us to attack while jumping off of walls, just like PoP?

Last edited:

Veloran

Awesome ideas :D Maybe it would be awesome if some of those transformation had some abilities like blocking specific projectiles.
I agree, each should be capable of specific things against specific enemies that might not be immediately apparent.

@ef9 o shea an actual Jackpot!!! move? Man, that'd be awesome! What if they give Dante Doppleganger back and allow you to pull off that move with your doppler, like Dante and Vergil do in DMC3?

@Erian1Mortal Prince of Persia-ish wallrun? Awesome too. What if they also allow us to attack while jumping off of walls, just like PoP?
I'd think more of just an expanded version of DMC3's wall running.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I had always thought that they could implement the MvC3 Dante's "Million Dollars" super for E&I Gunslinger with R1+Up+Style. Similar to Gun Stinger, it'd just be encroaching barrage of bullets ending with a jackpot-style explosive charged shot finisher. Because they totally implemented another directional input and didn't capitalize on it...like all the ones they gave Nero too :p

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
See, this is why I want a DmC2; fans of that series don't demand Styles at the cost of convenience (because the fans that did would never buy the game anyway).

True innovation can lead the way for those who want to actually broaden their horizons and blend moves together (like Nero and Vergil) instead of giving us a thousand individual moves that I almost never see in those "uber-elite" DMC4 vids, anyway. :shifty:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Thinking about it, I could refine the defensive maneuvers to one button without the need for holding an RG trigger, just make the evasion key be a dodge when used with a direction, but remain a block when stationary. Or, hold the block key and press jump to do the dodge.

All in all, given the control scheme that DmC-DE- has now, plus the added inputs I mentioned earlier, I wanna say the entirety of the moveset in DMC4 could probably be reliable transferred without the need for segregated Styles. Hrrrrm...

Erian1Mortal

Premium
And about flying... what would you add to it? I would add a massive demonic energy beam that hits the floor damaging all enemies on the ground, kinda like Sanctus does.

I'd look at what they did in DMC2, having completly different combos in the air, but with the added usual inputs that you have on the ground.
Something like an horizontal rainstorm or airstinger followed by a million stab.
Stuff like that.
I'd also put in a weapon that is based on wings, so players could experiment with that without DT. I'm working on that still... it's something out of my DMC: Legacy project, not really ready to talk about that yet, just that it's based on a Demon named Fafnir (who's pretty much a dragon) it would take the role of the gauntles like Ifrit and Beowulf, just with the added bonus of wings.

Veloran

See, this is why I want a DmC2; fans of that series don't demand Styles at the cost of convenience (because the fans that did would never buy the game anyway).

True innovation can lead the way for those who want to actually broaden their horizons and blend moves together (like Nero and Vergil) instead of giving us a thousand individual moves that I almost never see in those "uber-elite" DMC4 vids, anyway. :shifty:
What are you talking about? Most high level DMC4 players use practically every single tool in Dante's arsenal.

The only Style that I ever see get neglected is Gunslinger, specifically some of Pandora's alternate forms or Coyote's backshot. And the invulnerability form of RG, which is probably the most technically stifling thing in the entire game, even if it looks cool as heck.

Top Bottom