• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General DMC 5 Discussion

Sean Gow

Tell me about it!

I still cannot believe that the target toggle only works when you’re not pushing the left stick in any direction...
It has to be completely neutral or it just doesn’t work!

Didn’t DMC4 and DmC have a feature where the toggle locks onto the enemy you’re currently pushing the stick towards??

I could just be chatting wam but I’m sure I remember that being a thing

I mentioned this AGES ago when the very first demo came out, then I was shocked to find it in the second demo, but never thought it would be overlooked when the full game came out.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Didn’t DMC4 and DmC have a feature where the toggle locks onto the enemy you’re currently pushing the stick towards??

Yep, I remember it too. Not only that but DMC4 also made you lock on an enemy you were tilting the stick towards even without clicking it, tilt and then lock. If I'm not mistaken it was actually one of the lock on "criteria" that were settable in the options.

Both of these things are absent in DMC5 which is a shame.

Goldsickle

Well, finally got the Platinum Trophy for this.

I have put the game down in disgust about 5-6 times for the duration before I got the Platinum.
I have never had the same experience with DMC4 or DmC.
The developers are just super-anal with some of their decisions.
I'm glad I left Heaven Or Hell for last, it was a relaxing final home stretch to the goal.

Goldsickle

In my quest to get Platinum, I got this weird glitch with V.
When trying to finish off a Baphomet in Mission 09 in Heaven Or Hell, what happened instead was V and the Baphomet were frozen and V started floating backwards, with the Baphomet stuck to him.

Both continue floating until they hit a wall and then they both started climbing all the way up to the highest point.
I press all the buttons and nothing seems to work, so I had to Retry the mission from the start.
This is another reason why a penalty-free Checkpoint Restart is needed.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y

Finally in the 5th chapter of vision of V we saw how Yamato was destroyed and how vergil was defeated by mundus and became nelo Angelo

I would have prefer this in the game actually

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

Finally in the 5th chapter of vision of V we saw how Yamato was destroyed and how vergil was defeated by mundus and became nelo Angelo

I would have prefer this in the game actually

Not very feasible since they will need to model more assets (Mundus, a different model for a younger and defeated Vergil, and the area they're in) all for a flashback (that doesn't contribute much to the current story in the game) especially since they were running out of funding/time to even model Kyrie (a character who to some extent actually contributed to the main story).

Besides DMC3SE actually added a scene from its manga so the same can happen here. There is only so much material they can put in the game and are thus constrained by limited resources and budget of what they can put into a game. It's vital to tell a coherent story so they must prioritize what is essential and details that aren't necessary to the plot at hand can be left for side material for fans to get more out of the story if they want.

They've been doing this since even DMC1 and will continue to do it unless DMC decides to become some 100 hour RPG.

Vergil95

Not very feasible since they will need to model more assets (Mundus, a different model for a younger and defeated Vergil, and the area they're in) all for a flashback (that doesn't contribute much to the current story in the game) especially since they were running out of funding/time to even model Kyrie (a character who to some extent actually contributed to the main story).

Besides DMC3SE actually added a scene from its manga so the same can happen here. There is only so much material they can put in the game and are thus constrained by limited resources and budget of what they can put into a game. It's vital to tell a coherent story so they must prioritize what is essential and details that aren't necessary to the plot at hand can be left for side material for fans to get more out of the story if they want.

They've been doing this since even DMC1 and will continue to do it unless DMC decides to become some 100 hour RPG.
I don't think so, they could have done this easy, this part doesn't need to be playable, but a 5 minutes cutscene could have done the purpose, during the flashback cutscene in mission 12 they could have put this too... Making a younger vergil could have been done in a second, mundus could have been done too since it's just a character, the environment was just present in the cutscene so not playable could have been done easy...

No need for dmc to be a 100 hour rpg XD they could just have expanded the flashback scene of V whit 5 more minutes that explored vergil life, like Piton flashback in Harry Potter, few minutes of flashback that jumped to a moment and another

Edit: probably they didn't put it because they didn't want to show vergil face until the end of the game...

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I don't think so, they could have done this easy, this part doesn't need to be playable, but a 5 minutes cutscene could have done the purpose, during the flashback cutscene in mission 12 they could have put this too... Making a younger vergil could have been done in a second, mundus could have been done too since it's just a character, the environment was just present in the cutscene so not playable could have been done easy...

No need for dmc to be a 100 hour rpg XD they could just have expanded the flashback scene of V whit 5 more minutes that explored vergil life, like Piton flashback in Harry Potter, few minutes of flashback that jumped to a moment and another

Edit: probably they didn't put it because they didn't want to show vergil face until the end of the game...

I guess you missed the part where they didn't even bother to actually give Kyrie a model (despite having a voice and somewhat of a role in the story). I doubt Capcom would go through the trouble of modeling 2 more characters and an entire environment just for a 5 minute (probably less than that) cutscene. The scene in question also isn't that important. We learn nothing new from it (we see Vergil lose to Mundus, lose Yamato, and become Nelo Angelo stuff we already know. It's nice to see that I guess but nothing vital that Capcom would expend the time and resources for it) nor does it provide any meaningful development other than that V still remembers it (although DMC5 makes it clear V remembers every thing when he is Vergil).

Also you are comparing a book series to a video game (where they have no limitations since it's a book and uses words and not require teams of hundreds with a set budget to include and polish certain things). It doesn't work like that easily especially since the details of V/Vergil's are there it's just in other media (that are Canon) and not the game. That is why they're there. You can't expect these games to be able to fit everything the designers/writers planned. Hell even movies have to remove scenes and cut down on content to fit a certain runtime. It's how production for these large scaled projects works.

Also you can easily have that scene play out without showing Vergil's face.

Vergil95

I guess you missed the part where they didn't even bother to actually give Kyrie a model (despite having a voice and somewhat of a role in the story). I doubt Capcom would go through the trouble of modeling 2 more characters and an entire environment just for a 5 minute (probably less than that) cutscene. The scene in question also isn't that important. We learn nothing new from it (we see Vergil lose to Mundus, lose Yamato, and become Nelo Angelo stuff we already know. It's nice to see that I guess but nothing vital that Capcom would expend the time and resources for it) nor does it provide any meaningful development other than that V still remembers it (although DMC5 makes it clear V remembers every thing when he is Vergil).

Also you are comparing a book series to a video game (where they have no limitations since it's a book and uses words and not require teams of hundreds with a set budget to include and polish certain things). It doesn't work like that easily especially since the details of V/Vergil's are there it's just in other media (that are Canon) and not the game. That is why they're there. You can't expect these games to be able to fit everything the designers/writers planned. Hell even movies have to remove scenes and cut down on content to fit a certain runtime. It's how production for these large scaled projects works.

Also you can easily have that scene play out without showing Vergil's face.
I think they purposely give kyrie only a voice appearance, like if it was nero inner voice that give him the right direction... in the last mission after so many suffering and confusion Nero find the right path by simply calling kyrie and hearing his voice, that more powerful than giving her an happearance and show her talking on the other side of the phone

Also they showed us Yamato broken in dmc 4 so it was important to show how it was destroyed, since this detail was part of a main game...

I am not compering a book to a game I m compering the deathly hallows part 2 (the flashback of Piton) whit a game cutscene, that could have been done whit just 3 minutes of cutscene... They are the same things in a sense since for that flashback they had to recall previous film actor to make new scene, some environment are made in cgi in that flashback and they had to polish everything ... In dmc 5 the only nedd to make mundus and the environment, and that wasn't really so difficult since you don't need to create the whole environment but just the part shown in the cutscene...

Take mgs 2 for example in the substance special disc you can watch the cutscene freeze theme and turn the camera as you want, you can see that the environment in almost every scene is not completed but only the part shown in the cutscene it is, many time there are just character who talk near a wall, if you turn the camera far from the scene there is simply nothing... So they could have Done the environment in the cutscene easy

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I think they purposely give kyrie only a voice appearance, like if it was nero inner voice that give him the right direction... in the last mission after so many suffering and confusion Nero find the right path by simply calling kyrie and hearing his voice, that more powerful than giving her an happearance and show her talking on the other side of the phone

Also they showed us Yamato broken in dmc 4 so it was important to show how it was destroyed, since this detail was part of a main game...

I am not compering a book to a game I m compering the deathly hallows part 2 (the flashback of Piton) whit a game cutscene, that could have been done whit just 3 minutes of cutscene... They are the same things in a sense since for that flashback they had to recall previous film actor to make new scene, some environment are made in cgi in that flashback and they had to polish everything ... In dmc 5 the only nedd to make mundus and the environment, and that wasn't really so difficult since you don't need to create the whole environment but just the part shown in the cutscene...

Take mgs 2 for example in the substance special disc you can watch the cutscene freeze theme and turn the camera as you want, you can see that the environment in almost every scene is not completed but only the part shown in the cutscene it is, many time there are just character who talk near a wall, if you turn the camera far from the scene there is simply nothing... So they could have Done the environment in the cutscene easy

Yamato being broken is a detail in 4 not 5 and thus has no impact on the current plot of DMC5. Therefore showing it being broken does nothing for the plot at hand. Now if your argument was showing Vergil become Nelo Angelo then I might be inclined to agree with you since I feel that had more weight in the story than Yamato being broken. And even then that is what the manga/comic is therefore. To tackle the minor details. If these creators could fit everything in their product's story then they wouldn't need these bonus materials.

They could've shown Kyrie in the opening cutscene right when Nero lost his arm. They showed Eva when they didn't have to and probably could've gotten away with it too if they did something similar with Kyrie.

You do know MGS2 come out like almost 20 years ago. DMC5 was made today using the RE engine and photorealistic models so development costs are far higher now than the PS2 era and going through the effort of modelling something as detailed like MUNDUS just for a less than 5 minute flashback probably wouldn't be worth it for the budget.

Yeah even than that is the last movie in the global phenomenon super successful Harry Potter movie franchise that is about a decade old (with it's last movie) series of consistently well critically and financially received for films compared to the niche and let's be honest up and down Devil May Cry franchise. So of course the Deathly Hallows (which I believe is either in the top 10 or was in the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time) had a far more massive budget compared to DMC5 (which despite it's high production values still had a limited budget that had to be properly distributed between more avenues than a film production does like you know gameplay, bug testing, balance, etc). Then there is time too.

Vergil95

Yamato being broken is a detail in 4 not 5 and thus has no impact on the current plot of DMC5. Therefore showing it being broken does nothing for the plot at hand. Now if your argument was showing Vergil become Nelo Angelo then I might be inclined to agree with you since I feel that had more weight in the story than Yamato being broken. And even then that is what the manga/comic is therefore. To tackle the minor details. If these creators could fit everything in their product's story then they wouldn't need these bonus materials.

They could've shown Kyrie in the opening cutscene right when Nero lost his arm. They showed Eva when they didn't have to and probably could've gotten away with it too if they did something similar with Kyrie.

You do know MGS2 come out like almost 20 years ago. DMC5 was made today using the RE engine and photorealistic models so development costs are far higher now than the PS2 era and going through the effort of modelling something as detailed like MUNDUS just for a less than 5 minute flashback probably wouldn't be worth it for the budget.

Yeah even than that is the last movie in the global phenomenon super successful Harry Potter movie franchise that is about a decade old (with it's last movie) series of consistently well critically and financially received for films compared to the niche and let's be honest up and down Devil May Cry franchise. So of course the Deathly Hallows (which I believe is either in the top 10 or was in the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time) had a far more massive budget compared to DMC5 (which despite it's high production values still had a limited budget that had to be properly distributed between more avenues than a film production does like you know gameplay, bug testing, balance, etc). Then there is time too.
Explaining how Yamato is broken is an important element, since it was something that was put in a previous main installment but was never explained later...

It's like Luke skywalker sword in the force awaken, everyone expect to explain how in the hell is there trought some flashback or some explanation in episode 9 rise of skywalker, I didn't expect them to answer a such important peace of the story in a manga or novel...

Since Yamato is vergil sword and we last see it in dmc 3 in vergil hand, I would have expected an explanation on how the hell i was broken and was there in dmc 4...

I put mgs 2 in consideration to let you understand how cutscene are made in videogame and How they cheat you to think that many time during scene you are in a whole new environment but they only create what you see on the screen... Since they should have just made mundus model and and some environments...

Many new game have almost the budget of a movie, like red dead redemption 2 and metal gear solid v... Dmc 5 doesn't have the same budget of this two game but its also a triple A game and had more budget than resident evil 2 who was very expensive since more than 800 people worked on re 2 remake, so re 2 budget was probably very high.... Dmc 5 budget is higher than Re 2 remake budget and we are talking about million here probably 40 or 50 million dollars to make this game or more, so I think they could have maked 30 second of flashback to explain that, probably they just realize it was not important for dmc 5 main story and they decided to not put that in game... If they wanted to put the scene in there even if they didn't have enough budget like you sayd they could have put vergil into a black environment talking whit mundus and having mundus in his tree eye form instead of having him in his statues form, or they could have made the whole flashback scene whit a stilish cartoon like kill Bill flashback... There were thousand of way to make that scene in game, they probably think it was unnecessary...

And dude just relax, I just say that I would have liked to see that scene in the game, since I waited mundus and vergil scene since dmc 3 and to see the Yamato broken from dmc 4, it's been 15 years, and I personally would have liked to have just a brief flashback of about 30 second to show how that happened... It's just something I would have loved to see and in my opinion they could have put it in there whit easy...

If they ever make a vergil dlc I hope they put some flashback in there

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Do you have any sources on RE2's budget and dev team count? I have a hard time believing Capcom would need more than 800 people when RE6 a game with vast more content and material had 600 people and thought that was excessive. Considering how barren RE2 is (IMO) I don't doubt DMC5 had a bigger budget but I don't think DMC5 had that big of a budget either. Deathly Hallows Part 2 had a budget of $250 mil and GTA 5 had a budget of $265 mil I doubt DMC5 came anywhere near those if making over 2 mil units in a month is considered above satisfactory for Capcom.

But you are right that Capcom could've cheated and did work arounds. I don't think knowing how Yamato broke is that significant that it MUST be shown in the game plus the answer was the most basic answer that I and most people saw coming for 10 years (Mundus broke it well duh). There are more critical details to DMC5 story that I find more important than the mystery of Yamato that are omitted in the main game for side material like how did Nico and Nero that is pretty vital in helping old audiences understand this new character. Like you said the devs probably didn't think it was that important for DMC5 story so they excluded for bonus materials that they know most fans who play these games for their plot will read anyway....well at least it's not some novel that is completely unavailable to the people outside of Japan and that novel contains far more relevant stuff to DMC5 story and lore.

Like you and I said before they have an opportunity to show this stuff in DLC or a SE like they did DMC3SE with Vergil meeting Arkham for the first time or Vergil going to Fortuna in DMC4SE.

Vergil95

Do you have any sources on RE2's budget and dev team count? I have a hard time believing Capcom would need more than 800 people when RE6 a game with vast more content and material had 600 people and thought that was excessive. Considering how barren RE2 is (IMO) I don't doubt DMC5 had a bigger budget but I don't think DMC5 had that big of a budget either. Deathly Hallows Part 2 had a budget of $250 mil and GTA 5 had a budget of $265 mil I doubt DMC5 came anywhere near those if making over 2 mil units in a month is considered above satisfactory for Capcom.

But you are right that Capcom could've cheated and did work arounds. I don't think knowing how Yamato broke is that significant that it MUST be shown in the game plus the answer was the most basic answer that I and most people saw coming for 10 years (Mundus broke it well duh). There are more critical details to DMC5 story that I find more important than the mystery of Yamato that are omitted in the main game for side material like how did Nico and Nero that is pretty vital in helping old audiences understand this new character. Like you said the devs probably didn't think it was that important for DMC5 story so they excluded for bonus materials that they know most fans who play these games for their plot will read anyway....well at least it's not some novel that is completely unavailable to the people outside of Japan and that novel contains far more relevant stuff to DMC5 story and lore.

Like you and I said before they have an opportunity to show this stuff in DLC or a SE like they did DMC3SE with Vergil meeting Arkham for the first time or Vergil going to Fortuna in DMC4SE.

Yeah 800 people worked on resident evil 2 remake you can read it on this pages

So they probably spend a lot of money in it but considering that the second campaign is the exact same campaign as the first while the original re 2 had a completely different campaign, they probably didn't have the same budget has dmc 5 since I find it more polished and complete than this...

I think that nico and Nero are greatly put togheter in the game whitout needing of telling their story, you can say what type of relationship is between them by simply watching the first cutscene whit the two of them

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I checked out the cartridges that get expelled from Ebony and Ivory and Coyote-A out of curiosity and holy hell, they actually went ahead and put engravings on them, as well as modeling and texturing different types of ammo for Kalina Ann and Kalina Ann 2. Such attention to detail.

20190627144814-1.jpg

20190627145208-1.jpg

20190627144945-1.jpg

20190627145022-1.jpg

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
So f****** what...

Do you honestly think this is a reasonable or civilised response to someone who has simply posted to share certain details of the game?

If you think the answer to that question is yes, then you need to think again. I’m not sure what your problem is here and nor do I really care to be perfectly honest but if I were you I would seriously start to reevaluate the way you go about posting in future. Because we’re not going to tolerate this kind of aggressive attitude, okay?

Hope you understand this as I’m not going to be repeating it. Thanks!

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
For those who didn't understand how the style score worked in this game, and how to obtain the most style points, this'll probably help: https://mobile.twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/1120720660576264192?s=09

And especially this, the user went more in detail about the scoring mechanic: https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/blv87u
Understanding this will get you to be able to S rank missions, even ones really hard to get an S for, without resorting to do no damage runs. This user demonstrates this with two missions of those particularly hard to S rank, 10 and 12: https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/c61agn

Last edited:
Top Bottom