• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General Bayonetta Discussion

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Due to Keaton's recomendation,here is a general Bayonetta thread.Feel free to discuss anything about Bayonetta.As always keep the forum rules in mind when posting.

Thanks.

...I want a PSP poooort. :0

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
WOW. No one's posted in here yet? CRAZY!!!
Okay, so, instead of continuing my rant of this game in the VA thread, I jumped over here just to say this:

True, there aren't many good stylish games out there. DMC wins hands down (but I'm devoted to the franchise, so I won't budge for nuthin') and in my perspective it has set the standard for other stylish games. Bayonetta would have been good, if they'd made it original. The weapon thing named after Eva that was posted in the other thread nearly had me in tears of disbelief. Maybe Capcom allowed the dude who put these ideas out to walk away with some measure of copyright, to give him the freedom to do as he pleased with it, no questions asked or fingers pointed.

BUT, what gets me is that it's just TOO much like DMC. If another game (Bayonetta) came out in the same league as the trendsetter (DMC), it ought to rival it's predecessor and outshine it with something NEW. I think that's the problem I have with it. It's not original, it's not fresh meat, it's nothing special. It's like Twilight and Vampire Diaries, just a million times worse because they don't even try to hide the similarities between these two games. And when I say NEW, I mean more than just fresh characters to play the roles. I mean the gameplay, the graphic design, the plot of the game itself, the dialogue, the action. The only thing I've found attractive about this game so far is the fact that Bayonetta fights actual angels, a nice change from demonic foes.

At the moment, Bayonetta smacks of 'copycat' to me, which is a right down shame because it was one of the most anticipated games for 2010 and I got hyped up for it through my friends, only to be severely disappointed with the bits I've seen of it so far. I do have an open mind, though, don't get me wrong, I WANT to play this game and fall in love with it, but I don't want to buy a game I'd want to burn to Hades at the end of the day.

So, I know some of you have played the game. What is the actual game play like, on a ratio of 1 to 10 (1 being sucks eggs, 10 being kickass cool), in comparison to DMC4's game play?

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
True, there aren't many good stylish games out there.

Wait that was a joke post...no_OK people,because this genre[Stylish Action/Extreme Combat] is very new and up until now,only DMC[and POSSIBLY Sengoku Basara]is the only game series with that genre.Sure Bayonetta just came out now,but never forget that when video gaming started,many things were copycat's of others.Their gameplay was a carbon copy of another game because those things were new back then.[Any old gamer from the end of 80s or at least start of 90s here to remember?]Now the stylish action genre,is a new anice genre in the video game world.It's natural for people,even for the creators,to stick a bit with a "carbon copy" gameplay.Let's wait a bit and you'll see that it will definitely it will evolve.It's just that up until now it was only Capcom that made this kind of games.Slowly,when other companies start experimenting on that genre too,we will surelly see the evolution of it.

PS : Ninja Gaiden,is doing a possibly honest try to fit in that genre.I don't know if the makers do it willingly or just try to take HAck'n'slash games up a notch.Also i rate Bayonetta's gameplay...like...9.5.While it is good,it lacks...how can i say this...the whole Ninja gaiden weapon evolution thingy.If not for that it's pretty good.You won't regret it if you buy it.DMC's 4 was also...9.5.Just some things didn't go so well with me.[No i'm not talking about the horrenduous backtracking.]

Zato-OW

King
clairavance;199250 said:
WOW. No one's posted in here yet? CRAZY!!!
Okay, so, instead of continuing my rant of this game in the VA thread, I jumped over here just to say this:

True, there aren't many good stylish games out there. DMC wins hands down (but I'm devoted to the franchise, so I won't budge for nuthin') and in my perspective it has set the standard for other stylish games. Bayonetta would have been good, if they'd made it original. The weapon thing named after Eva that was posted in the other thread nearly had me in tears of disbelief. Maybe Capcom allowed the dude who put these ideas out to walk away with some measure of copyright, to give him the freedom to do as he pleased with it, no questions asked or fingers pointed.

BUT, what gets me is that it's just TOO much like DMC. If another game (Bayonetta) came out in the same league as the trendsetter (DMC), it ought to rival it's predecessor and outshine it with something NEW. I think that's the problem I have with it. It's not original, it's not fresh meat, it's nothing special. It's like Twilight and Vampire Diaries, just a million times worse because they don't even try to hide the similarities between these two games. And when I say NEW, I mean more than just fresh characters to play the roles. I mean the gameplay, the graphic design, the plot of the game itself, the dialogue, the action. The only thing I've found attractive about this game so far is the fact that Bayonetta fights actual angels, a nice change from demonic foes.

At the moment, Bayonetta smacks of 'copycat' to me, which is a right down shame because it was one of the most anticipated games for 2010 and I got hyped up for it through my friends, only to be severely disappointed with the bits I've seen of it so far. I do have an open mind, though, don't get me wrong, I WANT to play this game and fall in love with it, but I don't want to buy a game I'd want to burn to Hades at the end of the day.

So, I know some of you have played the game. What is the actual game play like, on a ratio of 1 to 10 (1 being sucks eggs, 10 being kickass cool), in comparison to DMC4's game play?
Didn't we already tell you about the game play in the other thread? The game play is similar to DMC but very different at the same time. The combat isn't really like any other beat em up game I've seen to be honest. BUT, the reason I would say its similar to DMC is because its a stylish combat game. The game is very very flashy and every thing you pull off looks good.

It's a dial combo system but also its very very free meaning you can combo off of ANYTHING(except torture attacks). You can dodge and continue combos right off bat and you can also dodge out of any move. This means you can cancel any attack at any moment and jump right into the next one. Or right when your in the middle of a combo and a enemy is about to attack you, you can dodge the attack and continue the same combo from which you left off before the dodge.Every enemy has a temporary weapon you can pick up after defeating them. Some are very good and a few are ok imo.

She has a very lengthy move list which I haven't even seen every thing she can do yet to be honest and I have beaten almost everything in the game. Honestly I'm starting to use more of her unique moves that I never bothered doing now and finding out that they are very useful versus certain type of enemies which were difficult for me.

If I would rate the game play towards DMC4 then DMC4(imo) would be a 8 and Bayonetta would be a 10 in that department. Bayonetta's combat system is damn near perfect in my eyes.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Yeah...okay I get what your saying. I'm sure it's all logical and acceptable in the gaming industry for 'carbon copies' etc in a new genre, it's just that I have a personal jest with things like these. Yeah, I'll admit it, I'm that fangirl that jumps up in the middle of a new game release screening and goes 'COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT! Where's the laywers!?!', but that's just the fangirl side. The gamer in me is sweating blood and wringing her hands down to the bone in eagerness to get hacking into this new game and improve her Xbox gamer points.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
HMMM...i see.That's fine then.I say : "UNLEASH THY GAMER,WOMAN/GIRL."

Ahem,excuse me. *Runs off* *HOTBLOODED YELLINGS WHILE PLAYING BAYONETTA*

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
LOL!
Well... if everybody on here says the game is awesome (gameplay wise) then it shouldn't be a waste of time or money. And I need something new to play, seeing as my DMC4 disc has somehow escaped from my Xbox, gone through the wars, and returned to its rightful place (INSIDE the xbox) with mysterious scratches that has now made it 'unreadible' (GAAAH!) This would be the third time I'm replacing that bloody game. But if they don't have it at the store, I might get Bayonetta instead.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Do you live in haunted mansion?Ghosts hate games veeee~~eeery much.BRRRR.
*Hint : go get the Ghostbusters game booklet or rent the game.They'll be scared zhiitless.*

Oh yeah.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
clairavance;199255 said:
Yeah...okay I get what your saying. I'm sure it's all logical and acceptable in the gaming industry for 'carbon copies' etc in a new genre, it's just that I have a personal jest with things like these. Yeah, I'll admit it, I'm that fangirl that jumps up in the middle of a new game release screening and goes 'COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT! Where's the laywers!?!', but that's just the fangirl side. The gamer in me is sweating blood and wringing her hands down to the bone in eagerness to get hacking into this new game and improve her Xbox gamer points.

What annoys me is that people seem to forget that Hideki Kamiya bloody well created Devil May Cry's combat system, as well as coining the lore behind the game and just about everything behind it, yet when a game is released by him that shares the combat system he developed, people play the copyright infringement card, yet Bayonetta is perfectly within reasonable law, if it wasn't it wouldn't have even hit the shelves, hell, it probably wouldn't even have made it past developmental testing.

Kamiya is also perfectly within his rights to reference the game he created too, be it through the Phantom-esq Infernal Demon, to the description of the Bangle of Time referencing Sparda and Eva.

In all honesty, the gameplay is not like Devil May Cry when you get to the thick of it, the Witch Time mechanic strike brilliant originality, as do the Wicked Weave combo attachments, the plot generally is original for all intents and purposes, and it has only rudimentary references to Devil May Cry 4.

To me DMC4 was such an incredibly lacklustre game that I'm thankful for the release of Bayonetta, i's a bloody brilliant action game that delivers everything DMC4 failed to, which is quite a lot.
The gameplay is superb, the storyline, whilst hard to follow at times, is generally pretty decent, combat is like nothing else I've experienced since the days of DMC3 and the characterisation goes above anything DMC has delivered.

Clair, if you're thinking about getting Bayonetta, get it, because you really will not regret the experience.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
...>_< ... is it normal to break out in a cold sweat when a mod quotes you? ...

I'm just overly, somewhat narrow-mindedly devoted to DMC, as it is the game that got me into gaming in the first place. Like I said before, the dude probably had copyright to the stuff that capcom can't squiz about.

Erm..anyway. Seems like everyone has good reviews about the gameplay, which to me personally is what either makes or breaks a game, regardless of the other details that make it up. I think I'll go pay EB games a visit this weekend and test the Bayonetta demo. Just 'cause you said it's good, Credo ;)

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I am a very narrow-minded person (especially when it comes to DMC).
I moaned and b*tched like hell when i saw the penultimate boss...

But, hey... DMC came first... and i understand the way of thinking... I felt exactly the same way when Digimon came out after Pokemon (copy, blatant rip-off...blah!)

Bayonetta is brill... I think it's better than DMC4... but then i am a DMC3/Vergil fangirl ;)

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Angelo Credo;199267 said:
What annoys me is that people seem to forget that Hideki Kamiya bloody well created Devil May Cry's combat system, as well as coining the lore behind the game and just about everything behind it, yet when a game is released by him that shares the combat system he developed, people play the copyright infringement card, yet Bayonetta is perfectly within reasonable law, if it wasn't it wouldn't have even hit the shelves, hell, it probably wouldn't even have made it past developmental testing.

Kamiya is also perfectly within his rights to reference the game he created too, be it through the Phantom-esq Infernal Demon, to the description of the Bangle of Time referencing Sparda and Eva.

In all honesty, the gameplay is not like Devil May Cry when you get to the thick of it, the Witch Time mechanic strike brilliant originality, as do the Wicked Weave combo attachments, the plot generally is original for all intents and purposes, and it has only rudimentary references to Devil May Cry 4.

To me DMC4 was such an incredibly lacklustre game that I'm thankful for the release of Bayonetta, i's a bloody brilliant action game that delivers everything DMC4 failed to, which is quite a lot.
The gameplay is superb, the storyline, whilst hard to follow at times, is generally pretty decent, combat is like nothing else I've experienced since the days of DMC3 and the characterisation goes above anything DMC has delivered.

Clair, if you're thinking about getting Bayonetta, get it, because you really will not regret the experience.

Thanks for the assist,Angelo Credo.

*Dio voice* : Man with Angel as your name and Byakuya as your game,teach the persuation method you use.

Vergil'sB*tch;199273 said:
I am a very narrow-minded person (especially when it comes to DMC).
I moaned and b*tched like hell when i saw the penultimate boss...

But, hey... DMC came first... and i understand the way of thinking... I felt exactly the same way when Digimon came out after Pokemon (copy, blatant rip-off...blah!)

Bayonetta is brill... I think it's better than DMC4... but then i am a DMC3/Vergil fangirl ;)

Unleash the GAMER within you,cast that narrow-minded self of your[along with the fangirl] and enjoy the good games.Don't let small things destroy them and make you back away from them.

PS : This applies to everyone and everything by the way.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Man... I'm torn as to thinking it's a clone or an original game, and I can't make up my mind to buy it or not... I'm kinda like Clair right now... I can't make the decision...

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
The best way to clarify that is to watch the first stage in youtube and then finish the demo[if you can get your hands on it that is.]

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Chaos Master;199110 said:
It's a very good game. You should play it. It is kinda similar to DMC combos, but a lot of the combos are easily executed because there are 2 melee attack buttons. Some of the moves are similar to Dante's moves, one of Bayonetta attacks are similar to Dante's Stinger, except that it can be executed on air. There are even secret 'Verses' like DMC series of Secret Missions. All of Bayonetta's weapons have names. The storyline is easy to understand, but some parts of it you need to read in the internet or other sources. The game is really good, and I give it a score of 9.5/10.0.

Voice actors will decide whether they will be credited in a game or not, some of the voice actors are in a union, or non-union. If a union, the voice actors will be properly credited. If non-union, they can choose whether they are credited or not, but oftenly they will use fake names to be credited. So it is their choice whether they want to be credited or not.

Platinum Games are developers of Bayonetta, and the mebers of the developers are popular people who have worked with Capcom before, so DMC references are not avoidable, but appreciated.

Among the members of Platinum Games are:

Shinji Mikami - The man behind of Biohazard (Resident Evil) series. The director of Resident Evil 4, God Hand, Dino Crisis, Resident Evil, and Resident Evil Remake. Also the executive producer of Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 0, Dino Crisis 2, and of course Devil May Cry. Producer of Resident Evil Code: Veronica and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, game producer of Resident Evil 2 and advisor for Onimusha: Warlords.

Atsushi Inaba - Former CEO of Clover Studios, and later works with Platinum Games. Best known for his work in Viewtiful Joe series, God Hand, and Mad World.

Masami Ueda - One of the main composers of Resident Evil series, and also composed the first Devil May Cry soundtrack. He also the main composer of Bayonetta soundtrack.

Hideki Kamiya - The man behind the first Devil May Cry game. He is the director of Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Okami, and Bayonetta.

With all these guys working on Bayonetta, especially Hideki Kamiya and Shinji Mikami, why is it strange that there are some references of Devil May Cry in the game, or used DMC lines? We as DMC gamers should be proud at least that there are games took some of DMC lines or stuffs, which may be because of DMC series popularity. If you think Bayonetta is a rip off of DMC or a lame female version of Devil May Cry, don't bother playing it. Play other games. Otherwise, try and playing it.

Two choices: Either you play the game, or not. It is your choice. And it is your own opinion whether this game is a DMC ripoff or not.

If you play the game as a DMC fan, of course you won't be able to enjoy the game, citing it's similarities with DMC games, and etc. Play the game as an action gamer to enjoy the experience of playing Bayonetta. And I will say this, I NEVER regretted playing Bayonetta, and I say it plays better than Devil May Cry 4.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
DreadnoughtDT;199318 said:
Man... I'm torn as to thinking it's a clone or an original game, and I can't make up my mind to buy it or not... I'm kinda like Clair right now... I can't make the decision...

It's a parody of DMC. I've been swayed. Check this out DT:

http://forums.tidemedia.co.za/nag/showthread.php?t=13015

I'm totally won over. Screw the demo - I'm buying it while they've got the Special Edition going. It sounds wicked :)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Kay. Bayonetta is going on my I WANT THIS NAOW list... Too bad my birthday's three days away! If I'd wanted it sooner, my mom would've been able to buy it for me...

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Built up your BURNING DESIAAAAAHHHH while waiting,then play the game in the most HOTBLOODED WAY EVAAH...works for me.

Top Bottom