• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Games you like but everyone else hated?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Don't confuse level design with ART direction,POP 2008 is one of the most beautiful games ever made but it actual level design is just tedious the whole game to me felt like wild goose hunt.. all you did was go around collecting white orbs and then restoring pastures... rinse&repeat the whole game! really? i expected more from an open-world POP game.

When i brought Alice:Madness returns i thought the levels were great mainly because it looked fantastic but when i played the American Mcgee's alice that came bundled with it i realized that it had way better level design despite having archaic graphics.

This is a great example of a great graphics doesn't always make a great game.
Yes...and no. On American Mcgee's Alice and Madness Returns. Yes, transfer between levels was more diverse and there was more smaller diverse levels. On the other hand, some things was much worse than in Madness Returns. Some level parts were so similar looking that you couldn't find your way around and hat to run couple of time back and forth. (Hatter's domain) + actual battle mechanic was to much hit and miss which combined with problematic camera and questionable terrain turned into pain in the ass (Jabberwocki's battle). So to compare 2 Alices I say that both have pro and cons.
As for PoP. People tend to forget that PoP isn't HnS in the first place. You spend much more time run and jump instead of actual fighting. And PoP reboot added some pretty cool ideas, like when you come to fight Hunter he throws you inside broken tower and you need to run away from corruption before it reaches you, which actually shows how bosses co-work with levels, instead of simple arena fights that were in most PoPs before.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
how could anyone hate warrior within it was a great game
As a huge fan of the Sands of Time Trilogy, Warrior Within wasn't hated but just a tad unnecessary in its overall design. Like it was the series emo phase or something.

The music traded in the orchestrated soundtrack for hard rock and even though its theme is my favorite song from Godsmack (which is a cool band) it's a little out of place. Same goes for the amped up violence.

It's a game that really just went M rated for the sake of being M rated.

Is it bad? Hell no. I loved all the Prince of Persia games on PS2. I still have them all. But Sands of Time is probably the best of them all and had just the right style and tone the series is most comfortable in. It didn't need to be more adult oriented to still be a great game.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Yes...and no. On American Mcgee's Alice and Madness Returns. Yes, transfer between levels was more diverse and there was more smaller diverse levels. On the other hand, some things was much worse than in Madness Returns. Some level parts were so similar looking that you couldn't find your way around and hat to run couple of time back and forth. (Hatter's domain) + actual battle mechanic was to much hit and miss which combined with problematic camera and questionable terrain turned into pain in the ass (Jabberwocki's battle). So to compare 2 Alices I say that both have pro and cons.
I didn't really have much problem navigating through the game the whole game was entirely linear so its not really that hard to find your way through muddy looking textures.

Only thing Alice:MR does better than original is in the graphics&presentation department take it all away you'll have a game that is just disappointing and yeah the melee combat&hit detection in original american mcgee was just awful but thankfully you could just substitute that with firearms.
As for PoP. People tend to forget that PoP isn't HnS in the first place. You spend much more time run and jump instead of actual fighting.
that's no excuse for watering down combat to a tedious button masher...

POP trilogy had great free-flowing acrobatic combat where you could swiftly dispose of dozens of enemies with various combos&weapons and the "speed kill" QTE is probably the best implementation of QTE in any video game.

In pop2008 you can only fight 1 on 1 and you're not even acrobatic in the fight only elika is agile but the prince moves like a tank which makes the whole fight a drag.

POP warrior within's combat was so good that despite the fact that i could skip enemies i still choose to fight them because the combat was so damn fun! in POP 2008 the whole fighting sequence gets annoying after like 2 times and the open-world in POP2008 is just a mirage unlike assassins creed you have no side-quests,no break from the story.. hell at least in the original trilogy you could "Free roam" to get extra bonus health.
And PoP reboot added some pretty cool ideas, like when you come to fight Hunter he throws you inside broken tower and you need to run away from corruption before it reaches you, which actually shows how bosses co-work with levels, instead of simple arena fights that were in most PoPs before.
Didn't dahaka do that too?

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Lost planet 2

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Anyone who doesn't like Lost Planet 2 is an uncultured swine! That game is just too awesome for its own good sometimes. Plus, replaying the game with my buddy, we found out there's a muthafuggin' SENTAI CANNON!

------------------------------------

My buddies always rag on me for Stranglehold :p As much as I love the Max Payne trilogy, Stranglehold plays much smoother, in a more arcade-style way that keeps things enjoyable.

I've also gotten back into the Ghostbusters game. Slam-dunking ghosts into a trap is the bee's knees. Plus, y'know, I get to hang out with my heroes!

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Didn't dahaka do that too?
It did exactly that.

And now if you'll excuse me, all this Prince of Persia talk is making me want to play Warrior Within again.

9f3d0ed7-a421-4585-bb29-6e46bdc9d42c_zpsc6fb56b7.jpg

Yea buddy. Still have em. Favorite trilogy of games ever.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I didn't really have much problem navigating through the game the whole game was entirely linear so its not really that hard to find your way through muddy looking textures.
Well that place where you had to close tubes/ find Dormouse/Hare was pretty consfusing due to repeating textures

Only thing Alice:MR does better than original is in the graphics&presentation department take it all away you'll have a game that is just disappointing and yeah the melee combat&hit detection in original american mcgee was just awful but thankfully you could just substitute that with firearms..
I remember takign ages to defeat Jabberwocky with that clunky controls (though i think i had less trouble when I first played it on PC)
that's no excuse for watering down combat to a tedious button masher...
They tried to move into direction of exploration and probably sequel greatly improved their mistakes (yes, undying in battle is stupid), but due to ****storm started it never gonna happen.

POP trilogy had great free-flowing acrobatic combat where you could swiftly dispose of dozens of enemies with various combos&weapons and the "speed kill" QTE is probably the best implementation of QTE in any video game.

POP warrior within's combat was so good that despite the fact that i could skip enemies i still choose to fight them because the combat was so damn fun! in POP 2008 the whole fighting sequence gets annoying after like 2 times and the open-world in POP2008 is just a mirage unlike assassins creed you have no side-quests,no break from the story.. hell at least in the original trilogy you could "Free roam" to get extra bonus health.Didn't dahaka do that too?
While you are right and originals had better combat, like I say PoP reboot was basically moving in completely different direction as first Trilogy. As such I don't think it's as terrible game. Warrior Within improved greatly over Sands of Time combat. (though now I notice problem with hit-boxes and enemy responses in combat, while playing it in Trilogy, most likely due to glitches). But Warrior Within is most fighting heavy PoP up to date. PoP reboot also had free roam. And yes, Dahaka works with stages, that's why I say most bosses are arena confined in PoP. But If i remember right he is the only one, while it applied to all bosses in Pop reboot, since whole stages were basically their arenas.

ChaserTech

Darksiders 2 honestly.

I loved the game when I first picked it up but what holds the game back is that it was dumbed down before it's released. So a lot of cool features were taken out unfortunately. Oh well, it's still pretty fun.

Devils Never Cry

Devil Hunter
Premium
Man...I really liked Darksiders II, until my game glitched, and my auto-save had me stuck in that glitched scenario :( I had done so much in the game to that point I was disheartened to start all over...
That happened to me too, and it's the reason why I never got around to finishing it.

I wonder if they ever fixed those game-breaking glitches.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
TE="ROCKMAN X, post: 556845, member: 17198"]Who could hate stranglehold? its like playing john woo movies.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the slow my dive and stair rail sliding was awesome

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I remember takign ages to defeat Jabberwocky with that clunky controls
Hey at least american mcgee HAD boss fights! Alice:MR had no boss fights at all! there is no boss in the entire game except for the Dollmaker bumby and that fight was mediocre anyway.

Not to mention the levels are simply too straightforward and easy in Alice:MR.. in american Mcgee's alice you had to time every jump or else it was instant death and here alice could do a freaking quadrupedal jump and perpetually glide in mid-air! i have yet to play a game which is that much forgiving.
like I say PoP reboot was basically moving in completely different direction as first Trilogy.
I don't get it what part of "Moving into another direction" requires them to completely dumb down the combat,if they made the game off same engine as Assassins creed why didn't they just copy/paste the combat from that game?? it would've been awesome.

The combat was simply broken 1 on 1 combat for an open-world adventure game is simply stupid it only makes sense if its a fighting game.

Last edited:

Maxman

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Anyone who doesn't like Lost Planet 2 is an uncultured swine! That game is just too awesome for its own good sometimes. Plus, replaying the game with my buddy, we found out there's a muthafuggin' SENTAI CANNON!

------------------------------------

My buddies always rag on me for Stranglehold :p As much as I love the Max Payne trilogy, Stranglehold plays much smoother, in a more arcade-style way that keeps things enjoyable.

I've also gotten back into the Ghostbusters game. Slam-dunking ghosts into a trap is the bee's knees. Plus, y'know, I get to hang out with my heroes!

I loved Stranglehold

**** Yeah

Top Bottom