• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Game Industry Flaws

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014

1. They didn't downgrade the PS4/X1 version for the PS3/360

There's a difference going forward from PS3/360 to PS4/X1 of course it's going to look downgraded, like duh it was made for the PS3/360 making that obvious.

Yes there is difference. Yet Wolfenstein looks like crap on Ps3, worse than Rage.
So like I said intend of wasting time trying to remove failing features etc, it would be much better to concentrate on current gen and don't do last gen version. In the end sooner or later people must change gens. And you don't need Kotaku to find dozens of same info on many other gaming news sites.
Going backwards from the PS4/X1 to PS3/360, the PS4/X1 shouldn't suffer unless the developers themselves screwed up by trying to design something for both PS3/360 & simultaneously with the PS4/X1.
It does. Sorry simply put you can't same amount of dynamic content which will led to pop-ups, visual sub parity and bad performance. There are games that don't really suffer from stuff like this, like Odin Sphere etc. But AAA games with lot of dynamic content should remain on current gen, because insulting versions of games don't help anyone.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014

1. I agree somewhat.
Don't make a PS4 title then go back & make it for the PS3 because it won't work.

HOWEVER Don't stop making PS3/360 games altogether simply because Don't do something like that just to FORCE gamers to buy the next console, because not everyone can afford the next console right then & there when everyone else can, or not everyone sees the next console as this revolutionary system they just have to buy because it's new & shiny.
I think you seeing this wrong, at least imo. You see, its not about FORCE somebody, its about delivering good product to user. Do you think it was pleasant for SoM creators to deliver half- assed version because they couldn't transfer its 1 to 1. Or for bioware to admit, Ps3 can't handle same amount of characters on screen and it will be downgraded? Ps4 costs less than Ps3 back in the day and same goes for Xbox One. Yes gaming is expensive hobby, but each hobby needs to be invested in.

3. Those games like Odin Sphere that actually work going back & forth between PS3/360 & PS4/X1, did they start development as PS4/X1 titles or PS3/360 titles ?

And YES I'm sure certain game types can go back & forth between PS3/360 & PS4/X1.
Certain fighting, RPG, cell shaded stuff etc can be made for both, but not everything & not if the developer isn't going to put real effort into it.
Exactly. They need to put effort in it. Effort of working overtime and trying to solve complex problems instead of working on new games. So like I said, Ps3/360 games are reaching their end. Developers should focus on new games than backward ports or remasters. (though there are exceptions like Oding Sphere)

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014

1. There's a difference between delivering a good product & stopping support of a previous system simply because you want everyone to move forward NOT when they're ready & able to BUT when you're ready & able to.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to deliver the best product possible, but don't start something for PS3/360 get it 80% finished & then BS the public simply because you wanna it on PS4/X1.

Are you getting what i'm saying here.
I have no problem when it's designed with PS4/X1 in mind, it's understandable the PS3/360 can't handle what's designed for more powerful systems.

HOWEVER When a developer has been working on a title 2years 80% finished before the PS4/X1 is even announced, that is made designed & based with the PS3/360 in mind, don't DO NOT feed the public some BS about suddenly the PS3/360 can't handle a title that's made for it just cause coincidentally the PS4/X1 has just arrived.
There are no real difference in it. If product can't be supported by platform, platform is simply skipped. If WiiU can't handle 90% of new games they simply skip it. Same goes for Ps3/360. You may dislike it, but honestly its for the best of all players. As for "when ready", sorry it was 2 years already. Industry can't wait for everyone. If somebody didn't managed to buy new gen console in 2 years considering it costs 270 now, people should really ask themselves if they can support their own hobby in the first place.
Also even if game started as X360/ps3 title it doesnt mean they didn't expanded it beyond limitations of original systems.

Dark Drakan

Admin

There's a huge difference in it.
It's not solely the matter of what the systems can handle, i'm not focusing on that part as i understand that aspect & agree with what you're saying on that front.

My point is different.

Say If you've spent 2yrsbuilding a nice pool for a friend of 4yrs now.
You've rearranged their backyard telling him your backyard is perfect for this pool, you've dug up a huge hole & poured the cement & you're almost done.
BUT you stop because you've decided to build the same pool for someone else you just met & you tell you friend of 4 yrs that sorry but your backyard isn't big enough.

What i'm talking about is like that.
Developers started something for the PS3/360, tell everyone is going to be on the PS3/360 very soon as they're 90% done with development.
Then boom, it's cancelled for the PS3/360 to add to the library of the PS4/X1.

Its more a case of the 'suits' of the company telling them that they wont make as much money on last gen anymore as the majority of the fans have moved on. So they tell them to scrap development on that and move onto the new gen as thats where the money can be made or so they themselves believe (also games are slightly more expensive on XB1 & PS4 so they get bigger percentage of profits). To develop on 2 generations of console and play to each consoles strengths takes more manpower and more wage costs so they simply take the cheaper option in order to make the most money.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
MKX was cancelled exactly for reason I named, because it would lead to low quality port. Mad Max was canned for same reason. LAst Guardian was in development for eternity and was canned and reworked numerous times, FFXV is different game from Versus. So I can't really remember a game you may be talking about. If you point more precise examples I may understand your point. But I still glad we coming from period where we were getting ****ty ports for Ps3 as scraps from the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Its not that I don't understand what yu saying, I just don't know examples of those games. I know that some games were in development hell far to long and than released on later platforms like Deadly Platforms, but this is first time I heat about game canceled on purpose to rerelease it on later platform.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think one of the big flaws with modern gaming is the lack of foresight when developing councils.

I don't know if their intentions are pure but when making the PS3 Sony didn't think well enough ahead regarding their cell processor, a powerful processor even now but hard to develop for and situations with Microsoft with the XB1 and Nintendo with the WiiU. All of these systems came after the most successful councils in each respective company so it's always assumed it was arrogance that lead to the decisions for each system.

Another issue I have is the strange cycle that leads certain systems to fail. Take the Vita for example. The Vita does poorly because there are no games for the system, at least not in the same way there are games for the 3DS, so systems don't sell, and since the system doesn't sell the developers don't make games for it. It just goes round and round and no one is willing to help the thing go forward.

Frazz

General gamer
The biggest flaw of the industry in my mind has been 'The Call of Duty Effect' as due to that series' inexplicably massive popularity it has been dragging down the entire industry for years. When CoD 4 became so popular and financially successful other developers began to copy elements of it leading to what I like to call the 'Gaming Dark Ages' as almost every game had the same grey/brown colour palate. The financial success of that series also lead to things like the annualisation of Assassin's Creed and the disappearance of original and fun games like DMC, Timesplitters etc. You wouldn't have seen a game like Timsplitters: Future Perfect because it would have been too fun, original, and not dark enough in the minds of game publishers. I'd also blame CoD for microtransactions as everything I mentioned before was an attempt by companies to get some of that sweet CoD money and because CoD still annoyingly makes billions other companies want more money. CoD showed companies just how much money was in the game industry and nothing has been as creative or fun since as now publishers want unrealistic amounts of money because "Call of Duty makes billions... why can't we? Let's use microtransactions!" If I could wind back time I would never let CoD be the giant it is and gaming would be more colourful, interesting, and perhaps just a little less greedy.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
The biggest flaw of the industry in my mind has been 'The Call of Duty Effect' as due to that series' inexplicably massive popularity it has been dragging down the entire industry for years. When CoD 4 became so popular and financially successful other developers began to copy elements of it leading to what I like to call the 'Gaming Dark Ages' as almost every game had the same grey/brown colour palate. The financial success of that series also lead to things like the annualisation of Assassin's Creed and the disappearance of original and fun games like DMC, Timesplitters etc. You wouldn't have seen a game like Timsplitters: Future Perfect because it would have been too fun, original, and not dark enough in the minds of game publishers. I'd also blame CoD for microtransactions as everything I mentioned before was an attempt by companies to get some of that sweet CoD money and because CoD still annoyingly makes billions other companies want more money. CoD showed companies just how much money was in the game industry and nothing has been as creative or fun since as now publishers want unrealistic amounts of money because "Call of Duty makes billions... why can't we? Let's use microtransactions!" If I could wind back time I would never let CoD be the giant it is and gaming would be more colourful, interesting, and perhaps just a little less greedy.

the worst part of the "Lets be like CoD" mind set is that it's completely futile
making a game just like CoD won't get you the CoD crowd
want to know why
because they're already playing COD!
why would someone buy a game that's exactly like the one they already have
it's why games like Metal of honor: war fighter failed
whats the point of playing a CoD clone if a new CoD come's out every year

Last edited:

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014

+like for actually knowing and liking Timesplitters.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Oh I swear if you mean the Armored Core series with number 67 then you're in a world of **** my friend.

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's a bit more complicated than that. You're not been pushed because they want to, you're been pushed because it's cheaper for them to do so. Even with the PS4/1/PC having similar architecture it's not easy creating multi-platform games. It has to be done from the ground up and small variations can cause large hickups. Now add the PS3 to the mix and you definitely have to spend time and resources making it twice as you go along because the PS3 architecture is very different from all other systems.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
@berto
Maybe I'm getting confused but is it really that hard to localise a game on both PS3 and PS4? I thought it would be simpler since it's the same game but on two consoles.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I know this is a horrible thing to wish for, but I hope VR crashes (along with all the other current trends that demand our cash every 3 months).

All these devs were putting resources into that instead of proper sequels and new IPs -- this is the reason why we've gotten so many re-masters and special editions. We're getting screwed over every day because of free-to-play and devs not knowing what they're doing.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@berto
Maybe I'm getting confused but is it really that hard to localise a game on both PS3 and PS4? I thought it would be simpler since it's the same game but on two consoles.
Like I said, if the PS4 (Which already is a PC based architecture) and the PC are different enough to get you the mess that was Arkham Knight on PC port then imagine the undertaking it would be to make two versions of the same game on such dramatically different architectures. It is done every day, so it's hardly impossible, but Namco-Bandai doesn't have the resources EA or Ubisoft do so they provably wavered the options and after seeing how Zestiria performed on each system they decided this was the most cost effective route.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
@VampireWicked
The obvious answer is (drum roll please) "Question E: Option 2."

Granted, I'd take amazing gameplay and story over fanservice any day. But fanservice by itself is not the problem.

Top Bottom