• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Game Industry Flaws

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
These are some of the more recent flaws to be sure, but they're definitely the most prevalent right now.

Personally, I think we should go back to PS2-era graphics. We'd get more games, and companies could focus more on gameplay.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Your post captures everything I despise in this business.

Mostly its the DLC, Day One patches, and pre-order idiocy that I hate having to put up with. Back before DLC, there were simply special editions of games that were popular enough for a physical re-release.

If games moved on to compacted cartridges like the vita, then I wouldn't worry about the game burning itself out like a disc would. Even a blu-ray has a lesser lifespan than a cartridge.

Cartridges, memory cards, and replaceable hard drives are the way to go -- but now, everything needs to be tied into an account.

If streaming services like Playstation Now take off, then I'll have no choice but to resort to Plan B -- I won't say what that is here.

Nothing is really ours anymore -- we're just given permission to play it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Nothing is really ours anymore -- we're just given permission to play it.

Breaking news, pal: it has ALWAYS been that way. Legally, the moment you buy a game, you don't OWN it, you just get the right to play it yourself. The game will ALWAYS remain property of those who produced it. Never yours.

A physical copy isn't any more of a property of yours than a digital one just because you can touch it and store it in your shelf. Digital or physical, today just like yesterday, a game is never our property. That's something that's never changed and it's an argument that should be kept out of that kind of nostalgic speeches.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Physical disk is telling you that you can play this game as much as you whenever you want as long as it & the system is in working order.

Digital is telling you that you can only play this game as long as you're connected to the server to re-download if your original download is gone, as long as the online server remains running, as long as the owner or the server or developer allows you access.

Physical disk gamers have more control over access to play a game then with digital, & that's what i think the industry wants to reduce.
Gamers control over where they can play something, when they can play something, & how they play something, why journalists & industry keeps lying & saying everyone wants digital only.

Oh in that sense, yes. But legally...

People can buy & own physical property

... this depends on WHAT you're buying. Games are not Sears shirts. Things like games are not owned by you when you buy it. Careful with the words you use. Owning means you got the rights and the property over it, which you absolutely don't when buying a game. A game is licensed to you, when you buy it, you merely get the right to play it, you don't acquire ownership over it, no matter if it's digital or physical.

Read any EULA and you'll see it written pretty loud and clear: only the company owns the game. Not the consumer.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
You're just repeating what i said.

Course. Cause you edited your post while I was writing my reply. And now you replied to my previous reply, which I deleted and replaced with another one in response to your edited post.

Just like a shirt, once you bought it the manufacturer isn't restricting you from wearing it as much as you want, whenever you want, wherever you want.

Yeah, but a game is not a shirt. Read my post above. You don't own the game when you buy it. No matter in what country and no matter in which format.

Owning means acquiring rights over it. You don't acquire ownership on the game when you buy it, only on that specific copy. There's an abyss of difference.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It doesn't matter, it's kinda tricky & copyright holders can find loopholes.

Vamp. For the third time, you don't acquire legal ownership on a game when you buy it. I repeat:

a game is not a shirt. Read my post above. You don't own the game when you buy it. No matter in what country and no matter in which format.

Owning means acquiring rights over it. You don't acquire ownership on the game when you buy it, only on that specific copy. There's an abyss of difference.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
You're talking about fair use vs copyright.

But right holding is what the term "owning" refers to. Whoever holds the rights owns the game. When you buy it, you don't own it.

The shirt example is totally out of place and is a different case cause it's not licensed to you like a game is through an EULA.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I think its rushing developers and pushing out unfinished games so patches and dlc have to be added on afterwards to just milk more money from the people who buy. dlc isn't a bad concept you buy additional story or characters for a game thats finished and put out, but we all know that not usually how it is. New IPs would be nice since alot of companies like to milk a popular series until its dead.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I think its rushing developers and pushing out unfinished games so patches and dlc have to be added on afterwards to just milk more money from the people who buy.

Well, it's a little bit more complicated than that. It's not always and only out of pure greed, the main cause is to find in the fact that the cost of development has raised abnormally recently, therefore companies can't afford to keep a game in development for the entire time it's needed for it to be completely ironed out of bugs and problems. Therefore they have to rush the release and release tons of patches as well as DLCs to have as much monetary return as possible to compensate the dev cost and have a profit.

Do some companies abuse it to the point that it's become a trend? Oh yes absolutely. Just wanted to point that out for a sec.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Well, it's a little bit more complicated than that. It's not always and only out of pure greed, the main cause is to find in the fact that the cost of development has raised abnormally recently, therefore companies can't afford to keep a game in development for the entire time it's needed for it to be completely ironed out of bugs and problems. Therefore they have to rush the release and release tons of patches as well as DLCs to have as much monetary return as possible to compensate the dev cost and have a profit.

Do some companies abuse it to the point that it's become a trend? Oh yes absolutely. Just wanted to point that out for a sec.
Oh I know though for a majority of companies developers don't have the amount of time they actually need for a quality game

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
But right holding is what the term "owning" refers to. Whoever holds the rights owns the game. When you buy it, you don't own it.

The shirt example is totally out of place and is a different case cause it's not licensed to you like a game is through an EULA.

I don't know what part of what they're trying to say that you missed, but they never once said they meant owning the rights to the game and you're making yourself look like a bit of a jerk.

They meant owning a physical copy. A disk. Cartridge. SD card. Something you can hold in your hand. At no point can a game company say you can't play that anymore. They cannot walk into your house and take it out of your hand. That disk, cartridge, SD card, whatever, is YOURS. You bought it, the physical media is your property. You own that piece of hardware.

With a digital game, that ability to play it whenever you like is removed. The game company can say "you can't play this anymore" and take it away. That is what they mean.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@Vergilius
You thought about doing a Movie industry flaws thread lol.
I wouldn't know where to begin.

It's not like movies charge half the movie then hold back the other half as DLC...

--------------

and you're making yourself look like a bit of a jerk.
Yeah... that's happened too often for me to ignore.

They meant owning a physical copy. A disk. Cartridge. SD card. Something you can hold in your hand. At no point can a game company say you can't play that anymore. They cannot walk into your house and take it out of your hand. That disk, cartridge, SD card, whatever, is YOURS. You bought it, the physical media is your property. You own that piece of hardware.

With a digital game, that ability to play it whenever you like is removed. The game company can say "you can't play this anymore" and take it away. That is what they mean.
This is exactly what I mean. Even if it was a disc, I would be happier with that than the system we have now.

I only suggested Vita-type heavy cartridges because they store a lot of space, and you can't scratch them.

Blu-rays are supposedly 'unscratchable', but don't quote me on that. As dependable as blu-rays are, I think new-age cartridges are better not just for games, but for movies and shows as well.

Not everyone has a constant internet connection that they would need to stream netflix.

----------------------

But all of this is just wishful thinking on my part. All I want is physical media. Nothing short of the Bestapo (Best Buy Gestapo) can take back the physical films and games I have in my possession.

-----------------------

Unlike some people out there, I don't believe in giving corporatist (communism disguised as capitalism) entities any more power than they already have.

-----------------------

Edit: @VampireWicked

http://devilmaycry.org/threads/indie-film-improvements.21170/

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
But I actually dislike those mobile phone games though.

Maybe if there was a mobile metroidvania with high replayability value...

berto

I Saw the Devil
Oh another flaw i did list but didn't some up.
52. Forcing trends on gamers.
53. The words causal gamer.
54. The removal of easy difficulty setting to be replaced with causal difficulty setting just so those who have trouble with normal difficulty settings won't feel bad.
55. Mobile phone gaming
Would you like me to merge this to the other post?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
But I actually dislike those mobile phone games though.

Maybe if there was a mobile metroidvania with high replayability value...

They're only good when they're actually quality games. Final Fantasy Record Keeper is pretty good, as is Dead Space Mobile.

I would like to say Devil May Cry 4: Refrain as well, but I haven't played it yet. Still, the way it's designed to be a dungeon crawler-y DMC game interests me.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
1. using the successful formula over and over again which lead other companies to imitate those.. i notice this generation lacked the variety of genres..

2. visual dependant.. sometimes i wish tech were so limited like backthen so they would work more on the most important aspects

3. no devil may cry related news

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014

Yes if it's a game ment for PS3/X1 & then gone next-gen.

And no because as i said if the game is finished, built for the PS3/360 scheduled to be released on those two systems & then suddenly cancelled to be ported to the PS4/X1 followed by so ridiculously stupid developer excuse of "We can't get it running on older systems" BS.
Then i have an issue with it.
There is difference when they not bringing already existing version to Ps3 in west and downgrading Ps4 version to extent its not enjoyable anymore like it happened to Shadow of Mordor.
http://kotaku.com/shadow-of-mordor-is-way-less-fun-on-old-consoles-1660387779

Aurelius

1. Paying for cheats.
I'm not gonna lie! I usually tend to buy into this myself but selling cheats is just ridiculous and a dick move!

2. Disabling the ability to save game after enabling cheats.
I've noticed that most games that have cheats nowadays, disable the ability to autosave. This I have no problem with. My problem is with games that offer cheats that disable saving entirely...that's an even bigger dick move!

... Dead Rising 2, I'm looking at you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom