• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Future of DMC thread

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Isn't anybody worried as I am? No future left for DMC after 5? I feel like turning into an old man. No time left... and unsure of what comes next...
I think you're concentrating too much on whether or not it would happen and should find other things you like. There are other games to play, plenty of tv/movies/comics to enjoy.

life will go on dude.

I get it tho....I wanted another Jak and Daxter game or Prince of Persia or even FF versus 13 but only the last one happened. But if I let myself think too much about it... it wouldn't have happened anyway.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Isn't anybody worried as I am? No future left for DMC after 5? I feel like turning into an old man. No time left... and unsure of what comes next....

I though they were going to abandon the franchise after 4... didn't happen (thankfully). But there is no point in worrying too much... if they don't make a new game, just enjoy the old ones.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Isn't anybody worried as I am? No future left for DMC after 5? I feel like turning into an old man. No time left... and unsure of what comes next....

I think you're too much of a Speedy Gonzales. Like, DMC5 was barely on the horizon and you were already talking about 6.

Just slow down and breathe, there's no indication that the franchise is gonna stop here, and it's too early to be thinking about it anyway, IMO. Don't think that far ahead all the time or you'll go crazy.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Why be worried?
We had a new entry in the original series after what? 11 Years?
And most of us have been there for the entire time waiting in one way or another. And the game was a success from what we can tell, I'd guess there will be more to come. Not to mention the game isn't even a year old and it at least felt like it was a "complete" experience unlike DMC4 wich was super rough around a lot of edges.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Not to mention the game isn't even a year old and it at least felt like it was a "complete" experience unlike DMC4 wich was super rough around a lot of edges.

I'd really like DMC4 to be made again, as in, the way it was intended to be; but I guess that's not gonna happen.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'd really like DMC4 to be made again, as in, the way it was intended to be; but I guess that's not gonna happen.
Maybe they might start doing remakes ? Some fans are ok with remaking 1 or 2 so eventually they would get to 4 ;).

Or just a Nero centered sequel.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
to be honest, the only games in the series that would be worth remaking are 2 and maybe 1.
DMC needs to move forward, not backward though, since we had like 3 hd collections I don't think remakes are needed.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
to be honest, the only games in the series that would be worth remaking are 2 and maybe 1.
DMC needs to move forward, not backward though, since we had like 3 hd collections I don't think remakes are needed.

I wasn't talking about adding characters, new models etc. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, game is graphically fine as-is (though I imagine few pampered kids may not agree :D). What I am talking is bringing game in line with what was originally intended for it. No backtracking; Dante-special bosses; more moves and weapons for Nero and Dante both (but especially Nero); and so on. I don't remember details, exactly, but I do know that developers were not happy with where game ended up at as a result of rushed development.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
If they create a new lead or a new playable supporting character, i think they'd have to move away from the whole "smart ass with a gun and a sword" thing.

Thats why i prefer V over Nero. Before the whole Vergil's humanity twist, V felt distinct/fresh while Nero felt more of the same.

This is a hypocritical non sequitur but can we bring over Jake from Re6? He was too cool to be left in limbo. Just have a version of him exist in DMC. His version of Edonia was attacked by Urizen and go from there.

Last edited:

Picard

Starfleet Demon
If they create a new lead or a new playable supporting character, i think they'd have to move away from the whole "smart ass with a gun and a sword" thing.

Thats why i prefer V over Nero. Before the whole Vergil's humanity twist, V felt distinct/fresh while Nero felt more of the same.

This is a hypocritical non sequitur but can we bring over Jake from Re6? He was too cool to be left in limbo. Just have a version of him exist in DMC. His version of Edonia was attacked by Urizen and go from there.

Personally, I would like an original character that is similar to V in terms of personality. Or maybe similar to Stannis from ASoIaF; I mean. Basically, somebody not over-the-top, yet still interesting and even funny.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Picard
Sure bro. I'm not knowledgeable about Game of thrones but have at it.

I know i give nero a lot of grief but im hoping DMC6 uses him well. Maybe I'll finally see what everyone else sees in him.

I hope they do a Japanese lead if they create a new one.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
As a general response to the thread I'm not worried that the franchise has no future. 5's success has cemented that the series will go on at least a bit longer. Story wise they'll just keep going with the new lead, that much is obvious. It's going to be Kyrie, Nico and Nero's show from now on. The aspect of the future of the series that I'm worried about is that the games will continue to be as they are. While I loved the style of narrative in 3 I was really not crazy about it in 4. It was refreshing since it wasn't like 1 or 2 and I was really into Ryuhei Kitamura movies at the time, but since I've really been worn out by it and DMC5 just cemented it all for me. Also, it's just going to be DMC3-5 with slight alterations. I'm tired of the style system, I'm tired of Nero's one weapon with the same combos game after game and I'm tired of Dante being a secondary character in his own franchise. Just the same but with better graphics and that is what worries me. That and I don't like Nero enough to buy another game with him as the lead.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
As a general response to the thread I'm not worried that the franchise has no future. 5's success has cemented that the series will go on at least a bit longer. Story wise they'll just keep going with the new lead, that much is obvious. It's going to be Kyrie, Nico and Nero's show from now on. The aspect of the future of the series that I'm worried about is that the games will continue to be as they are. While I loved the style of narrative in 3 I was really not crazy about it in 4. It was refreshing since it wasn't like 1 or 2 and I was really into Ryuhei Kitamura movies at the time, but since I've really been worn out by it and DMC5 just cemented it all for me. Also, it's just going to be DMC3-5 with slight alterations. I'm tired of the style system, I'm tired of Nero's one weapon with the same combos game after game and I'm tired of Dante being a secondary character in his own franchise. Just the same but with better graphics and that is what worries me. That and I don't like Nero enough to buy another game with him as the lead.

But what about future hunters who'd try to take up the hero role? I keep thinking JoJo, with Nero, Dante to have a kid someday, other hybrids outside the Sparda family who follow Sparda's path and pass on to their children. I was so jealous of Final Fantasy, I just want DMC to do something about it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I keep thinking JoJo
DMC isn't JoJo. This isn't supposed to be a generational hand me down or chronicle. You don't replace Indiana Jones with his son or James Bond with his nephew. If they're good enough they get their own spin off or series, like Terry McGinnis, not take over in the original.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Wasn't DMC supposed to work like Resident Evil?
Like switching protagonists every now and then like that series does?
To be honest, I think something like that is needed for DMC, simply to do more effective world building and being able to create better stakes.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
To be honest, I think something like that is needed for DMC, simply to do more effective world building and being able to create better stakes.

Should have been done right after the first game then. It's easier to switch protagonist if you don't give the players enough time to be able to associate the whole franchise with it. Which is what happened with DMC, for a lot of people DMC = Dante now, and it's been like that for a long time.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
No way I can deny that.
But the more I think about it, the less I want to see of Dante and Vergil in future games but that might be just me.
5 to me was kinda the perfect send off for both, there really is no need for any more story on the two, maybe Vergil can get some more but I don't think he needs a full game with a story centered around him.
Nero is a good stepping stone now, he can still very much evolve and you can throw in some new character here and there.
I know that people want Dante to be playable but at this point I don't think it's really possible to change up his moveset without changing some fundamental things about it and I highly doubt that would go over well with people.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Wasn't DMC supposed to work like Resident Evil?
Like switching protagonists every now and then like that series does?
I had heard something to that effect, that there was discussion of it but it's hard to know if anything ever came into fruition or if it was ever going to go in that direction.

It's easier to switch protagonist if you don't give the players enough time to be able to associate the whole franchise with it.
Seriously? You sound like a father telling the wife not to let the kids get attached to the puppy. Besides, how was it not done right for not switching protagonists upon sequel? That's how it works. Your character becomes popular people want more and you give it to them. It's why Uncharted or GoW don't start a different adventurer or another god of war from a different patheon. Yeah, in horror games and movies it's common to get a new protagonist but action that is far more rare. It might be easy to say DMC2 would've been better without Dante but imagine DMC3 without him.

for a lot of people DMC = Dante now
Certainly is for me. From the very beginning which is around the time of DMC2 when I started playing these games. Also, "now"? Was there a point where people didn't associate the franchise with him?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Besides, how was it not done right for not switching protagonists upon sequel? That's how it works. Your character becomes popular people want more and you give it to them.

Sure thing, nothing wrong with that (as long as it doesn't become pure milking). I simply said that it's harder to change the protagonist - as in, harder to get the fans to accept it - when the franchise has had the same beloved one for a long time to the point where the whole brand gets to be identified with it. Hence why Nero has had such a hard time and the games you mentioned stuck with the old protag. And why other series, like say, Assassin's Creed or Resident Evil managed to more easily introduce new protagonists along the way.

Also, "now"? Was there a point where people didn't associate the franchise with him?

I should have used the term identify earlier. It's not a matter of associating, but straight up identifying. Anyway, the word "now" wasn't supposed to mean there was a time where people didn't already consider DMC and Dante synomyms per se, but rather that at this point in time, in the present, it's harder than it's ever been to achieve what Erian thinks is needed for DMC, which is the point I was replying to.

He said DMC needs a change of main dude, and my point is that, whether you think that's the right move or not, regardless of whether you think it's ok to identify DMC with Dante or not, that is bound to be a difficult change for people to accept when Dante is the face of the franchise. That's all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom