• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Full trailer for DMC4 SE

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's been bothering me, Vergil, that I can't put my finger on why I don't like his new look. Specifically the hair. The rest was pretty minor and I could brush it off but for some reason the hair keeps sticking out for me as a point of dislike.

Well I thought about it and remembered the design he had in UMvC3 and it clicked to me that there his hair always kinda reminded me of an eagle and the hair he had in DMC3 always reminded me of a lion or an eagle.
latest

Bald-eagle_P1010358.JPG

But now, looking at the new one, I see it and I think 'what does that remind me of?' and, in all honesty, it actually reminds me of an onion.
2dj2q85.jpg

depositphotos_7136012-Red-onion.jpg

onion_0.jpg

I know it's not the best example of an onion for the comparison but you get the picture. No pun intended.

Veloran

It's been bothering me, Vergil, that I can't put my finger on why I don't like his new look. Specifically the hair. The rest was pretty minor and I could brush it off but for some reason the hair keeps sticking out for me as a point of dislike.

Well I thought about it and remembered the design he had in UMvC3 and it clicked to me that there his hair always kinda reminded me of an eagle and the hair he had in DMC3 always reminded me of a lion or an eagle.
latest

Bald-eagle_P1010358.JPG

But now, looking at the new one, I see it and I think 'what does that remind me of?' and, in all honesty, it actually reminds me of an onion.
2dj2q85.jpg

depositphotos_7136012-Red-onion.jpg

onion_0.jpg

I know it's not the best example of an onion for the comparison but you get the picture. No pun intended.
I think it's just the angle. We're looking at him straight-on in that image.

It might also have to do with the way DMC4 works with hair. In DMC3 and UMvC3, its sort of more angular and polygonal. You can clearly see the "segments" of hair, which makes it look kind of fierce. But here it looks more smooth, kempt, and honestly a little bit shorter.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
1427292401114.png

Ok. So here's a better look at the comparison.
So, aside from what looks like a new shoulder strap there are some other differences.
His head is smaller, making his shoulder look broader but he himself is slimmer, so are his legs so he looks taller. His eyes are smaller and squintier, not as much as Dante, though. And his hair looks like Vegita's with every spike going in one direction and not as fire-y looking.

You're still comparing an old CG model to an in-game model with a slightly different style :p

berto

I Saw the Devil
You're still comparing an old CG model to an in-game model with a slightly different style :p
It's the PS4 era. A close proximity is not that farfetched. Even so, it's not the high polygon count nor the superior textures that I'm using as the point of comparison, it's the overall design and smaller details that I'm pointing out. Like the shape of the hair, the size of his eyes and face, and the thickness of the body or size of the head.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's the PS4 era. A close proximity is not that farfetched. Even so, it's not the high polygon count nor the superior textures that I'm using as the point of comparison, it's the overall design and smaller details that I'm pointing out. Like the shape of the hair, the size of his eyes and face, and the thickness of the body or size of the head.

Well, that's the thing - the CG model is from an entirely different game (DMC3) that had a slightly different style compared to DMC4. Compare CG Dante models from DMC3 and DMC4 to see the differences as well, or heck...any CG render of Dante from each game in the series, there's subtle differences between each of them that has nothing to do with age, but everything to do with the style the artist was using at the time.

scionicspectre

Yeah, I actually made these notes elsewhere that MT Framework, while amazing, doesn't use physically based shading as in the CG render. The artist who worked on that render also isn't available to make the in-game model, as he only worked on promotional materials. If I'm being honest, DMC 4 Vergil looks a lot closer to the concept than DMC 3 Vergil did (except for the shoulder clips, of course).

Even then, the artists working on it are aware of these differences at least as well as I am, so I imagine they have enough experience trying to match concept art and work the design around the technology's limitations. So I agree with Berto that it's an issue of different of design rather than tech, even if the tech needs to be taken into consideration. If I know how to deal with these minute details in my work, I wouldn't doubt that the artists at Capcom have a similar or higher level of experience. If I didn't know better, I'd say they made these changes on purpose, as though they didn't like the way it looked before.

Either that, or they didn't think it would match DMC 4 as well. In fact, we shouldn't be talking about the 'PS4 era' of graphics here since, despite DMC 4 having amazing fidelity and artwork for its time, we're still dealing with older assets and Vergil needs to be 'limited' in order to look reasonably similar to the other character models.

I think they've done a fine job, even if I would have done one or two things differently. I'm sure that once we see him in motion a bit more we'll come to appreciate the work a lot more.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Also peopel should realize that this isn't a full on remake of DMC4 with better graphics and real looking characters. This is a special edition of the same game from the 2008 video game. You can't expect call of duty character detail for JUST a special edition when they could do that for an actual stand alone entry into the series like, say, DMC5.

GabrielXx

I really hope we get coat less Vergil that's still the best one for me and i heard Vergil in this will have some of DmC vergil's moves can anyone tell me how he played or felt ? i never got the DLC since i rented the game back when it was out and went though it about 4 or 5 times trying to get everything then i sent it back. a lot of what i heard was he was a lot better then Dante because he was able to use both angel and Demon mode for yamato. i really wish they would have done the same with dante like what if eryx had an angel mode and was much more like beowulf but focused on kicks and speed that might have been pretty cool.

nephlim god

I really hope we get coat less Vergil that's still the best one for me and i heard Vergil in this will have some of DmC vergil's moves can anyone tell me how he played or felt ? i never got the DLC since i rented the game back when it was out and went though it about 4 or 5 times trying to get everything then i sent it back. a lot of what i heard was he was a lot better then Dante because he was able to use both angel and Demon mode for yamato. i really wish they would have done the same with dante like what if eryx had an angel mode and was much more like beowulf but focused on kicks and speed that might have been pretty cool.

He was rapid in DmC . Good amount of combos. Awsome in the air. Basically a speedy yamato wielding magician. Didnt play like the vergil that was depicted throughout the campaign who was a wimp

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I'll keep my fingers crossed for this.

Vergil is back... yet they included some moves from DmC.

Very nice if you ask me.

Nothing against it from my part too. I just hope they adjusted some DmC Vergil animations to fit classic Vergil's style more. But they did call back Dan Southworth to do mocap so I have good expectations.

YamatoWielder

Protector of Mankind
Nothing against it from my part too. I just hope they adjusted some DmC Vergil animations to fit classic Vergil's style more. But they did call back Dan Southworth to do mocap so I have good expectations.

Best of both worlds if you ask me. So I'm totally fine with that. :)

New theme music perhaps?

GabrielXx

@nephlim god that's good to know however how was the teleport used though ? from what i have seen it's fixed around the angel mode. i love Dante in DMC3 but i am at my best when i play Vergil. i was going to rent DmC:De later down the road so i could go though with Vergil however i think i'm really going to miss beowulf lol i was just concerned with the teleport because i think they said that's what they where reworking.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
i love Dante in DMC3 but i am at my best when i play Vergil.

High five bro, same here. You're officially out of the list of my preys.

As for DmC Vergil teleport, you perform it through the dodge buttons. If you are in Demon Mode while dodging he wil do the Trick Up, if you are in Angel Mode he will do Trick Down. Or maybe it was the other way around I don't remember. But yeah that's the concept.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
@nephlim god that's good to know however how was the teleport used though ? from what i have seen it's fixed around the angel mode. i love Dante in DMC3 but i am at my best when i play Vergil. i was going to rent DmC:De later down the road so i could go though with Vergil however i think i'm really going to miss beowulf lol i was just concerned with the teleport because i think they said that's what they where reworking.

The teleport in DmC was used in different kinds of ways.
You had trick up and trick down, utilized by not moving while dodgeing, one of the dodge buttons would teleport you upwards the other downwards. While moving youd teleport dodge out of the way (similar to the angel dodge of Dante).
When shooting summoned swords at an enemy, you could either teleport them to you in Demon mode, or teleport to them in Angels mode, like Dante with his grapling hooks. The modes change the functionality of the shoot button.

That's about it I believe, somebody correct me if I forgot anything I'm going of off memory only here.

GabrielXx

@Foxtrot94 and @Erian1Mortal Thanks for the Extra Detail's i was watching a lot of youtube videos on him trying to understood how he worked. i prefer using the Angel mode because it's a lot faster i also Noticed on the left side of the screen there was these small circles like the weapon wheel for Dante but i thought Vergil only had yamato where those like modifiers to the Angel and Demon modes ?

Top Bottom