• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

FFXIV Team Sacked. Going F2P Until It's "Good".

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
I look more into the storyline, and I know my answer is biased because FFVII was my first game. But say I never played it at all and tried out the others...VIII IX X are very good games too. They all have great storylines, music, characters but I don't particularly like how they play though...VIII and IX I'm not to keen on per se, X was great. ^_^ I haven't tried any others yet...I heard VI was good also.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Faust;293381 said:
I look more into the storyline, and I know my answer is biased because FFVII was my first game. But say I never played it at all and tried out the others...VIII IX X are very good games too. They all have great storylines, music, characters but I don't particularly like how they play though...VIII and IX I'm not to keen on per se, X was great. ^_^ I haven't tried any others yet...I heard VI was good also.

Just an FYI...most old school RPGers who started on much older consoles will often say FFVI (FFIII in the US) was the best one. Others will say FFVII. Just depends on who you ask.

<_<

Sephiroth > Kefka

Say THAT to an old school gamer.

aka958

Don't trust people
Esura;293386 said:
Just an FYI...most old school RPGers who started on much older consoles will often say FFVI (FFIII in the US) was the best one. Others will say FFVII. Just depends on who you ask.

<_<

Sephiroth > Kefka

Say THAT to an old school gamer.

I'm not an old school gamer but I like Kefka more than Sephiroth. FFVII is really great and FFVI was great half of the game but Kefka is damn awesome.

Esura

aka958;293387 said:
I'm not an old school gamer but I like Kefka more than Sephiroth. FFVII is really great and FFVI was great half of the game but Kefka is damn awesome.
The appeal of Kefka contradicts the JRPGs fanbase complaints of wanting a more compelling antagonist, not saying this applies to you, cause it doesn't seem to, but I've met gamers who would say...I dunno, Seymour Guado is not a compelling antagonist, but then cite Kefka as their favorite FF villain...which is the complete OPPOSITE of a compelling villain. Kefka is just crazy...plain and simple. There is no reasoning behind his villany. He kills for the sake of killing which makes him a flat character.

aka958

Don't trust people
Esura;293391 said:
The appeal of Kefka contradicts the JRPGs fanbase complaints of wanting a more compelling antagonist, not saying this applies to you, cause it doesn't seem to, but I've met gamers who would say...I dunno, Seymour Guado is not a compelling antagonist, but then cite Kefka as their favorite FF villain...which is the complete OPPOSITE of a compelling villain. Kefka is just crazy...plain and simple. There is no reasoning behind his villany. He kills for the sake of killing which makes him a flat character.

He wasn't flat. ;_;

Sometimes I just enjoy a character as who they are. Deep complex characters all the time would just bother me. Kefka may have a flat background, but he made a great storyline during FFVI.

I like Seymour Guado, he explained his theories and beliefs really good. Whilst many would think of death as no solution he somewhat brought a petty argument for it. Death do end misery, one can kill themselves to end their misery but killing others for the sake of ending their misery when they still want to live is not okay and that made Seymour a bad guy since he obviously didn't care.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Esura;293391 said:

I actually rather liked Seymour...other than him coming back countless times from the dead. Kefka is the main villian in VI?

Esura

aka958;293393 said:
He wasn't flat. ;_;

Sometimes I just enjoy a character as who they are. Deep complex characters all the time would just bother me. Kefka may have a flat background, but he made a great storyline during FFVI.

I like Seymour Guado, he explained his theories and beliefs really good. Whilst many would think of death as no solution he somewhat brought a petty argument for it. Death do end misery, one can kill themselves to end their misery but killing others for the sake of ending their misery when they still want to live is not okay and that made Seymour a bad guy since he obviously didn't care.
Its the opposite with me. I blame it on Sephiroth and Seymour but, its hard to get into a RPG game with an antagonist like Kefka or Ultimecia now. Its to the point now, either make a convincing antagonist, or dont make one at all. Many RPGs has no primary antagonist, like Star Ocean The Last Hope International, and the story flows alright. I just think genre outgrew the typical, "Oooo I'm bad for the sake of being bad" scenario.

And you are an intresting FF fan. You at least explain your arguements alot better than others I've debated with.

aka958

Don't trust people
Faust;293395 said:
I actually rather liked Seymour...other than him coming back countless times from the dead. Kefka is the main villian in VI?

Yeah. His full name is Kefka Palazzo. He had a miserable childhood and it turned out for the worse. I think I remember hearing about how he got the make-up on his face as the clown he is but I'm not too sure if I got any valid sources on that.

Esura

aka958;293398 said:
Yeah. His full name is Kefka Palazzo. He had a miserable childhood and it turned out for the worse. I think I remember hearing about how he got the make-up on his face as the clown he is but I'm not too sure if I got any valid sources on that.
He became mentally unstable due to Magic experimentation on him, which is why he is a loon.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
aka958;293398 said:

I'm not too worried about sources about Kefka, I'd rather try and find the game so I can play it and find out his background myself. I also agree with you that if all antagonists have a complex background, you'd lose the player completely.

Its the opposite with me. I blame it on Sephiroth and Seymour but, its hard to get into a RPG game with an antagonist like Kefka or Ultimecia now. Its to the point now, either make a convincing antagonist, or dont make one at all.

I totally agree with you on that one. It's hard to find a good antagonist that makes you want to move farther into the game.

aka958

Don't trust people
Esura;293396 said:
Its the opposite with me. I blame it on Sephiroth and Seymour but, its hard to get into a RPG game with an antagonist like Kefka or Ultimecia now. Its to the point now, either make a convincing antagonist, or dont make one at all. Many RPGs has no primary antagonist, like Star Ocean The Last Hope International, and the story flows alright. I just think genre outgrew the typical, "Oooo I'm bad for the sake of being bad" scenario.

And you are an intresting FF fan. You at least explain your arguements alot better than others I've debated with.

My favorite game series is Final Fantasy, I read about it daily, I listen to it's music, I enjoy all games I've played (played all in the main entries except V and XI and also played some spin-offs Crisis Core, Dissidia, FFTA2).
Yes, that means I enjoyed both FFXII and FFXIII. :cool:

Faust;293401 said:
I'm not too worried about sources about Kefka, I'd rather try and find the game so I can play it and find out his background myself. I also agree with you that if all antagonists have a complex background, you'd lose the player completely.

I totally agree with you on that one. It's hard to find a good antagonist that makes you want to move farther into the game.

And yeah. Agree on both points.
But Kefka fought for the empire through half of the game, I wanted to fight him and see his awesomeness, and I wanted to see what stuff he would come up with next.

Ultimecia is spoken of alot in FFVIII. You know her goals and ways but... she just doesn't have that epic villain feel that Kefka, Sephiroth, Kuja, Seymour, and even Gabranth has. Ohh... Gabranth is one of the best villains I've ever seen.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Esura;293299 said:
LOL whatever. Even Jecht is better than Kuja...let alone Sephiroth, whom is total ownage.

If you say so, personally I found Kuja to be a more fleshed out and interesting character.
Also, he achieved a hell of a lot more than Sephiroth ever did, what did Sephy do exactly? Spent a full game failing to destroy a plant, came back to life a couple of times and got his ass kicked by a dude with a sword bigger than his own torso and hair that defies gravity.

Kuja on the other hand levelled an entire planet in the space of about 30 seconds with the odd wave of a hand.

So yeah, personally I find Kuja to be the better villain, and better developed character.

Also, don't get me wrong, I like Sephiroth, he's an iconic and well designed character, I just don't believe that, from a technical, villain standpoint, that he's all that great, hence why I prefer Kuja.

aka958

Don't trust people
Angelo Credo;293403 said:
If you say so, personally I found Kuja to be a more fleshed out and interesting character.
Also, he achieved a hell of a lot more than Sephiroth ever did, what did Sephy do exactly? Spent a full game failing to destroy a plant, came back to life a couple of times and got his ass kicked by a dude with a sword bigger than his own torso and hair that defies gravity.

Kuja on the other hand levelled an entire planet in the space of about 30 seconds with the odd wave of a hand.

So yeah, personally I find Kuja to be the better villain, and better developed character.

Ahh... the Kuja did more than Sephiroth did argument. But sadly I don't remember he did it with the odd wave of a hand. He did some kind of flying stuff first too. :p
Edit: Don't take this offensive in any way. It's just oftenly used as an argument in debates of Sephiroth vs Kuja.

Sephiroth didn't do squat in FFVII but getting beaten by the main cast and being stuck inside a crystal, letting an imitation of him by Jenova play the big parts.

I like both of them equally. Kuja did more, that is fact. But Kuja's reason for just destroying the world in the end felt lame in my opinion.
Sephiroth may have not done more, but his story is alot more fleshed out due to the compilation and we do get an alot deeper background and story of him. Making him a more complete character imo.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
aka958;293405 said:
Ahh... the Kuja did more than Sephiroth did argument. But sadly I don't remember he did it with the odd wave of a hand. He did some kind of flying stuff first too. :p
Edit: Don't take this offensive in any way. It's just oftenly used as an argument in debates of Sephiroth vs Kuja.

Sephiroth didn't do squat in FFVII but getting beaten by the main cast and being stuck inside a crystal, letting an imitation of him by Jenova play the big parts.

I like both of them equally. Kuja did more, that is fact. But Kuja's reason for just destroying the world in the end felt lame in my opinion.
Sephiroth may have not done more, but his story is alot more fleshed out due to the compilation and we do get an alot deeper background and story of him. Making him a more complete character imo.

Oh sure, his reasoning sucked, but ultimately, as I brought up in a somewhat swift edit to my original post, from a technical, villain standpoint, I prefer Kuja because he actually got **** done and I liked his character.

Honestly, if Kuja didn't actually get anything done, I'd prefer Sephiroth, hell, before I played IX, Sephiroth was actually my favourite villain. I like him, don't get me wrong, as I said, he's iconic and well crafted.

I think one of my biggest reasons for liking Kuja though is that he's a lot more relatable, I find his personality is somewhat like my own, flamboyant with a little bit of the retro-camp going and a bit sadistic to boot. :lol:

aka958

Don't trust people
Angelo Credo;293406 said:
Oh sure, his reasoning sucked, but ultimately, as I brought up in a somewhat swift edit to my original post, from a technical, villain standpoint, I prefer Kuja because he actually got **** done and I liked his character.

Honestly, if Kuja didn't actually get anything done, I'd prefer Sephiroth, hell, before I played IX, Sephiroth was actually my favourite villain. I like him, don't get me wrong, as I said, he's iconic and well crafted.

I think one of my biggest reasons for liking Kuja though is that he's a lot more relatable, I find his personality is somewhat like my own, flamboyant with a little bit of the retro-camp going and a bit sadistic to boot. :lol:

Don't forget that poetic style of his. It is awesome. :D

The only thing I disliked about Kuja is his... very female appearance. A friend of mine and my father both thought he was a she through the whole game. My friend of course didn't know much english the first time he played (FFIX is his favorite as well) and my father does not know much english and I had to convince him it was a dude.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
aka958;293407 said:
Don't forget that poetic style of his.

The only thing I disliked about Kuja is his... very female appearance. A friend of mine and my father both thought he was a she through the whole game. My friend of course didn't know much english the first time he played (FFIX is his favorite as well) and my father does not know much english and I had to convince him it was a dude.

Ah yes, the poetry, that was also a damn good hook, and part of the reason why I adore Genesis too, but that's a discussion for another time.

Strangely, the female appearance didn't bother me that much, if anything I think it added somewhat to the overall effect of his character, I feel it made his actions that much more sinister.
Whereas previous villains were more masculine (see: Sephiroth), or just generally bloody crazy (see: Kefka), Kuja had a very effeminate charm about him which made everything he did that much more questionable.

In my eyes, what Square did with Kuja was take the classically effeminate OR bishonen pretty boy style that the main protagonist with all his good intentions typically occupied and translated it to the villain, but retaining the villain's hardass, world wrecking, evil persona and breaking a hell of a lot of gender stereotypes in the process, which was done to damn good effect.

At least, that's what I got from Kuja.

aka958

Don't trust people
Angelo Credo;293408 said:
Ah yes, the poetry, that was also a damn good hook, and part of the reason why I adore Genesis too, but that's a discussion for another time.

Strangely, the female appearance didn't bother me that much, if anything I think it added somewhat to the overall effect of his character, I feel it made his actions that much more sinister.
Whereas previous villains were more masculine (see: Sephiroth), or just generally bloody crazy (see: Kefka), Kuja had a very effeminate charm about him which made everything he did that much more questionable.

In my eyes, what Square did with Kuja was take the classically effeminate OR bishonen pretty boy style that the main protagonist with all his good intentions typically occupied and translated it to the villain, but retaining the villain's hardass, world wrecking, evil persona and breaking a hell of a lot of gender stereotypes in the process, which was done to damn good effect.

At least, that's what I got from Kuja.

Genesis Rapsodos is my 2nd favorite FF villain. First being Gabranth. I can even come to alot of theories on what the hell his true goal in Crisis Core is (I've seen many speculations on it).

Kuja didn't need to be masculine or crazy. But in my opinion he could've been looking a little less feminine and have something else than just a thong down there (was really annoying in Dissidia when gliding up walls).

Kuja is quite the good villain, seeking vengeance in a more personal way instead of just destroying everything for gaining what he wants. I really liked how he got Queen Brahne to go to war and then take everything she had done to his favor.

Esura

Angelo Credo;293408 said:

Genesis does it so much better. Its sad he is tied to FFVII...considering he will never truly shine in that game. They should of used Genesis as a primary antagonist for another FF game.

And I swear I had an extra post here but...LOL. Maybe I forgot to press "Submit Reply" :lol:

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Esura;293419 said:
Genesis does it so much better. Its sad he is tied to FFVII...considering he will never truly shine in that game. They should of used Genesis as a primary antagonist for another FF game.

Well, in FFVII: DoC if you collect all the Genesis files, you unlock a secret CS at the end of the game. I'll have it in a spoiler just in case someone doesn't want to read what the CS is.

You see Genesis come out a stasis. He was in a water-like ball and it explodes. He walks over to Weiss, the man on the rock in the middle of the cavern. Genesis picks him up and says "It is not yet time to sleep, my brother." He uses his one wing and flies off, carrying Weiss with him.

aka958

Don't trust people
Faust;293422 said:
Well, in FFVII: DoC if you collect all the Genesis files, you unlock a secret CS at the end of the game. I'll have it in a spoiler just in case someone doesn't want to read what the CS is.

You see Genesis come out a stasis. He was in a water-like ball and it explodes. He walks over to Weiss, the man on the rock in the middle of the cavern. Genesis picks him up and says "It is not yet time to sleep, my brother." He uses his one wing and flies off, carrying Weiss with him.

But he has a different voice then though. I feel that voice as unfitting, but that's just my opinion.

Top Bottom