• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

FFXIV Team Sacked. Going F2P Until It's "Good".

aka958

Don't trust people
Dark Drakan;293105 said:
No it was about 2 years after its release (when MMO's should be hitting their peak) and from the fans ive spoken to after being a member of over 30 forums in my time and owning so many i have met around 10 people who liked it and played it often and if you add up the members on most of those forums thats over 180,000 members on them. It got decent reviews and i thought it looked interesting but everyone always said how empty it felt.

Guild Wars was free to play from the start and i bet its playing figures were 5 times that of FFXI until recently of course now the sequel has been announced. Guild Wars is the only real MMO ive played and enjoyed as i will never pay to play.

I daily check on FF forums and I see that about a rough 10-15% of all those I've seen really likes Final Fantasy XI. They may not like some parts of it but not many likes everything in any Final Fantasy.

Now, I've been around at many places, I've yet to meet many who like Everquest or Guild Wars. But I'm damn sure there are many who do like it. I mean, it's Everquest damn it, it is well known. And damn, Guild Wars is Guild Wars, a free to play MMO.

An MMO doesn't need a screaming million numbered fanbase to be successfull. +300 thousand is more than enough. So, over 30 forums, what are the odds you are to find people who like Final Fantasy XI?

I have had an incredibly, really incredibly hard time finding anyone who is as into Final Fantasy as me in Sweden. But I had one friend, a single one who actually were into Final Fantasy. Everyone else either just knows about it, dislikes it, flame it, or doesn't know about. But do I think that they are just a few people in sweden that are FF fans for that?

Dark Drakan

Admin
aka958;293110 said:
I daily check on FF forums and I see that about a rough 10-15% of all those I've seen really likes Final Fantasy XI. They may not like some parts of it but not many likes everything in any Final Fantasy.

Now, I've been around at many places, I've yet to meet many who like Everquest or Guild Wars. But I'm damn sure there are many who do like it. I mean, it's Everquest damn it, it is well known. And damn, Guild Wars is Guild Wars, a free to play MMO.

An MMO doesn't need a screaming million numbered fanbase to be successfull. +300 thousand is more than enough. So, over 30 forums, what are the odds you are to find people who like Final Fantasy XI?

I have had an incredibly, really incredibly hard time finding anyone who is as into Final Fantasy as me in Sweden. But I had one friend, a single one who actually were into Final Fantasy. Everyone else either just knows about it, dislikes it, flame it, or doesn't know about. But do I think that they are just a few people in sweden that are FF fans for that?

I know many people who LOVE Final Fantasy and are Final Fantasy geeks some might say, who know way more than a normal person should about the series. However not many of them even acknowledge FFXI's existence and some of those people are also HUGE MMO fans. I hear much more about Guild Wars than most, not so much Everquest for many years though but it was released 11 years ago. Obviously when talking MMO's WoW is the centrepiece everyone knows.

Having never played many MMO's i cant form my own valid opinions for or against any of them but what is it that makes World Of Warcraft so well liked? Perhaps someone here who has played it in past, currently plays it etc could enlighten me on what they did so well that got it to be most popular MMO ever?

aka958

Don't trust people
Dark Drakan;293114 said:
I know many people who LOVE Final Fantasy and are Final Fantasy geeks some might say, who know way more than a normal person should about the series. However not many of them even acknowledge FFXI's existence and some of those people are also HUGE MMO fans. I hear much more about Guild Wars than most, not so much Everquest for many years though but it was released 11 years ago. Obviously when talking MMO's WoW is the centrepiece everyone knows.

Having never played many MMO's i cant form my own valid opinions for or against any of them but what is it that makes World Of Warcraft so well liked? Perhaps someone here who has played it in past, currently plays it etc could enlighten me on what they did so well that got it to be most popular MMO ever?

Nope, many dislike FFXI. They don't count it as a main FF because it's an MMO, has been told many times and seen in many arguments (lovers and haters arguing). It might be awesome, it might suck, but I won't invest any more cash in an MMO because I got to say it straight out that all MMO's require is serious time investment and focus. I've got more important things to do.

I played a little World of Warcraft once.

I ask the same. To me, World of Warcraft lacks feelings. When this huge beast goes forth at you and you charge right through it, as it didn't exist. When walking around I don't get a feeling that I'm walking with the character, just moving with the character, almost like the character is stuck on the ground doing nothing but an animation without any kind of acceleration when starting to run. Then all the areas might look different but they just feel like the same place with different landscape textures.

Then let's go to the "amazing" end game. The one where you go through daily dungeons and quests, repeating the same stuff week over week in a guild that just hurries and you have to hurry with it. All I can think of when seeing World of Warcraft is repetetive boredom and extra stress just to not disappoint the others who does the same. Yeah... that and the fact that I hate it. So here is my extremely biased opinion.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
aka958;293073 said:
You say that? But you don't even like the series. :\

Dark Drakan don't like Final Fantasy games? Who doesn't like Final Fantasy games? :lol::lol::lol:

But yeah, FFXI is really not a failure though, although any MMO will seem like a failure in comparison to the mighty WoW. It has a niche following for sure, but its not nearly on a level of fail that FFXIV. The only thing you could compare FFXIV to is APB.

Meg

Esura;293140 said:
Dark Drakan don't like Final Fantasy games? Who doesn't like Final Fantasy games? :lol::lol::lol:

He was referring to me actually. :p

Meg

I only like XIII. :p Granted I only played 13,12,2,Crisis Core, Dissidia, and 7.

And what Lightning avvy? I do believe my avatar is a snowman! :lol:

Esura

Meg;293144 said:
I only like XIII. :p Granted I only played 13,12,2,Crisis Core, Dissidia, and 7.

And what Lightning avvy? I do believe my avatar is a snowman! :lol:
Seriously, you missing out on all the heavenly glory that is Final Fantasy. Get FFVIII, FFIX, FFAnthology (it has V and VI in it), and FFChronology (it has IV and Chrono Trigger in it). These are for PSX, but are stupid dirt cheap (unlike FFVII...too high). FFVIII is like 20 bucks or so new (Greatest Hits) on Amazon. Same with the others I listed.

Meg

Or I could get VIII and IX for $5 each on PSN. :lol:

I want to try others, but there are so many other games to play! :wacko: I want to play X and IV the most. Maybe I'll try some others.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Meg;293169 said:

I want to try others, but there are so many other games to play! :wacko: I want to play X and IV the most. Maybe I'll try some others.

Play IX, IX is the best of the lot, everything else feels like a step down.
Also, Kuja > Sephiroth.

aka958

Don't trust people
Angelo Credo;293185 said:
Also, Kuja > Sephiroth.

IX is one of the best, easily.

But the other have their glory too. Depends what you want when you start the game. FFIX story = the best. It's characters is also among the best, it's fighting system too. But the sidequesting is just as tedious if not even more tedious as chocobo breeding.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Esura;293140 said:

Yeah he wasnt referring to me as ive been a fan but havent played all the games. Ive played VIII, IX, X and XII and some of the early ones before VII. IX and X were my favourites but i didnt like XII, didnt play that much of VIII because it was borrowed to me and havent been interested in XIII.

Esura

Meg;293169 said:

I hate download-only games. I need me a disc so I re bought the PSX classics. The ones I listed are stupid cheap, like between $10-$25 in brand new condition for PSX games on Amazon. Also, there are classic PSX RPGs you can't get on PSN but can get for around the same price, which is Legend of Dragoon and Chrono Cross. FFVII, Tactics, and the Parasite Eve games however are in the $100 range.

EDIT - also, on PSN, only VII, VIII, IX, and Tactics are on PSN for $9.99, not $5 :lol::lol:

Angelo Credo;293185 said:
Also, Kuja > Sephiroth.
LOL whatever. Even Jecht is better than Kuja...let alone Sephiroth, whom is total ownage.

Dark Drakan;293189 said:
Yeah he wasnt referring to me as ive been a fan but havent played all the games. Ive played VIII, IX, X and XII and some of the early ones before VII. IX and X were my favourites but i didnt like XII, didnt play that much of VIII because it was borrowed to me and havent been interested in XIII.

Get XIII. Its an awesome game thats really cheap now. Go for it.

Meg

Esura;293299 said:
EDIT - also, on PSN, only VII, VIII, IX, and Tactics are on PSN for $9.99, not $5 :lol::lol:

Whoops! :lol: Either way, thanks for all the info. ^_^

Dark Drakan

Admin
Esura;293299 said:
Get XIII. Its an awesome game thats really cheap now. Go for it.

I might buy it when it gets lowered in price and the summer games lull hits.

Storm Silves;293312 said:
I actually thought X was the best of the lot.

Of the ones ive played X was my favourite too closely followed by IX.

aka958

Don't trust people
I like them all for different reasons. FFX because of it's story, gameplay and music. FFIX for it's story, gameplay and music and the same with all the others. But I like each FF's story, gameplay and music for different reasons.

I like most if not all FF games I've played, all for different reasons. To me they are incomparable since FFIX differs so vastly from FFX and FFXII for example.

Esura

Storm Silves;293312 said:
I actually thought X was the best of the lot.
It would of been my most favorite Final Fantasy game if it wasnt for the Sphere Grid. I disliked it.

Dark Drakan;293334 said:
I might buy it when it gets lowered in price and the summer games lull hits.

I dont think XIII its going to get any cheaper than what it is now. :lol:

aka958;293340 said:
I like most if not all FF games I've played, all for different reasons. To me they are incomparable since FFIX differs so vastly from FFX and FFXII for example.
Exactly! You seem to get the theme of Final Fantasy games...something which naysayers of XIII doesn't seem to comprehend.

+rep

aka958

Don't trust people
Esura;293371 said:
Exactly! You seem to get the theme of Final Fantasy games...something which naysayers of XIII doesn't seem to comprehend.

+rep

That is a compliment I accept with gratitude. I'm such an epic Final Fantasy fanboy. xP

You get some rep back btw.

Top Bottom