• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Theories

Asmodaius

DmC will not be canon.
That's what we know now.
How it will be in the future, no one knows, but it is unlikely it will become canon.
I shouldn't have to explain why.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Oh no, I understand that making DmC canon would add even more to the confusion we already have with the story of Devil May Cry. But hear me out. DmC isn't canon, we know this much. What is DmC then, essentially? An origin story? It's not technically a Reboot of the Series. I would consider a Reboot to mean, restart. As if to say they are going back to the very beginning and starting again. But they aren't, because DmC isn't canon and the rest of the Series is. DmC is basically explaining why Dante became so hell-bent on killing demons and such. It's an explanation about Dante. His origins, but not actually canon. Meaning that this, even though it's Ninja Theory summing things up, isn't actually telling us anything anyway because it being non-canon will have no relevancy to the previous games. So that adds even more to the point that it wasn't essentially needed. In its own right, it's Ninja Theory's take on Devil May Cry. It's not official to the rest of the Series. It doesn't actually explain anything to us about Devil May Cry Dante. It's a separate story, a separate time-line, a separate game altogether. Why exactly is this necessary? I'd love to see what Ninja Theory can come up with. It could be really good. But at the end of the day, even if it is, it will amount to nothing because it isn't canon. That is really sad to hear.

And as I agreed, it would add confusion to the story if it was made canon. But Ninja Theory's greatest area is story telling, so we've all been told a million times. And members from Capcom are still working on DmC also, checking up on it too. So let's just assume that it's released. Everyone loves the story and thinks that Ninja Theory can do a great job at explaining the rest of Devil May Cry to us. What do we get then? The whole entire Devil May Cry Series remade into Ninja Theory's image, but without it being classed as canon. And who knows, maybe some will prefer Ninja Theory's DmC to Capcom's DMC? Surely you can't have two games about the same thing, but with different things happening. Perhaps I should steal an idea that's already out there, change a few details and pass it off as my own. I mean could you imagine how much legal trouble Ninja Theory would be in if Capcom hadn't even asked them to do this project and they thought to steal the ideas, alter them and just do it themselves.

I just don't get the point in all of this. Alternate Dante. Dante's origins. None of it meaning anything. None of it official to the story that's already out there. I mean stop playing mind games with us Capcom, and just give us Devil May Cry 5 already. Start explaining your own story. Start sorting things out. Start caring about what your fans really want.

rogue_devil

Oh no, I understand that making DmC canon would add even more to the confusion we already have with the story of Devil May Cry. But hear me out. DmC isn't canon, we know this much. What is DmC then, essentially? An origin story? It's not technically a Reboot of the Series. I would consider a Reboot to mean, restart. As if to say they are going back to the very beginning and starting again. But they aren't, because DmC isn't canon and the rest of the Series is. DmC is basically explaining why Dante became so hell-bent on killing demons and such. It's an explanation about Dante. His origins, but not actually canon. Meaning that this, even though it's Ninja Theory summing things up, isn't actually telling us anything anyway because it being non-canon will have no relevancy to the previous games. So that adds even more to the point that it wasn't essentially needed. In its own right, it's Ninja Theory's take on Devil May Cry. It's not official to the rest of the Series. It doesn't actually explain anything to us about Devil May Cry Dante. It's a separate story, a separate time-line, a separate game altogether. Why exactly is this necessary? I'd love to see what Ninja Theory can come up with. It could be really good. But at the end of the day, even if it is, it will amount to nothing because it isn't canon. That is really sad to hear.

And as I agreed, it would add confusion to the story if it was made canon. But Ninja Theory's greatest area is story telling, so we've all been told a million times. And members from Capcom are still working on DmC also, checking up on it too. So let's just assume that it's released. Everyone loves the story and thinks that Ninja Theory can do a great job at explaining the rest of Devil May Cry to us. What do we get then? The whole entire Devil May Cry Series remade into Ninja Theory's image, but without it being classed as canon. And who knows, maybe some will prefer Ninja Theory's DmC to Capcom's DMC? Surely you can't have two games about the same thing, but with different things happening. Perhaps I should steal an idea that's already out there, change a few details and pass it off as my own. I mean could you imagine how much legal trouble Ninja Theory would be in if Capcom hadn't even asked them to do this project and they thought to steal the ideas, alter them and just do it themselves.

I just don't get the point in all of this. Alternate Dante. Dante's origins. None of it meaning anything. None of it official to the story that's already out there. I mean stop playing mind games with us Capcom, and just give us Devil May Cry 5 already. Start explaining your own story. Start sorting things out. Start caring about what your fans really want.
EXACTLY.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

that would require capcom to know what they are doing with the series which hasnt happened so far.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
that would require capcom to know what they are doing with the series which hasnt happened so far.

Then instead of letting Ninja Theory work on a different DMC game, get them to help them to work on the existing Devil May Cry story line and explain all of the plot holes. Capcom had that choice, but they chose to make things even more complicated for us.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I'm not saying that i disagree with you but the fact is capcom never knew what to do with the series in the first place . With kicking out kamiya from dmc2 being the prime example.

That's why Capcom need those who know what they are doing with the story to help them. Which is why I said they could of had Ninja Theory clear up all of the plot holes. Instead Capcom told them to make another DMC game that isn't even canon anyway, so it isn't going to actually explain anything to us. Which just means they're delaying the answers that us fans want even longer.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
these are my thoughts on the hooded girl.

I'm not sure its even a gun on her back. it looks like a tripod case.

She could be either lucia from dmc2, lady from dmc3, or beryl who was the main character from the DMC2 light novel. Think a red-headed lady with a spiral gun.

She could be a human medium who can see the world of limbo but not interact with it as strongly as Dante can since she isn't half demon hence her invisible appearance. She could be playable but have a style that is more stealth based than dante's.

im hoping she is beryl since that would show they did some research on the series and are pulling from all areas for this reboot.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
She could be a human medium who can see the world of limbo but not interact with it as strongly as Dante can since she isn't half demon hence her invisible appearance. She could be playable but have a style that is more stealth based than dante's.

From what i got from the trailer, she had no idea what was going on when the city started to change. She spotted the camera but it was obvious she wasnt aware of how dangerous it was around her. And so dante had to step in and tell her to get to a safer place. She might be just another rebellious girl. Or maybe dante saved her from a demon once. But they seem to trust eachother. And i think everyone was invisible/blurry once you see the demon world through dante's eye's. Maybe she's into strange phenomenon's and thats a camera on her back.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
i couldnt tell much from the tgs playthrough because of the japanses commentators so i'll take your word for it.
But i thought she had some clue of whats going on and i still could be right on how being a medium/ witch since most of what you said still could apply to her.
well atleast we know she is human

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
i couldnt tell much from the tgs playthrough because of the japanses commentators so i'll take your word for it.
But i thought she had some clue of whats going on and i still could be right on how being a medium/ witch since most of what you said still could apply to her.
well atleast we know she is human
the medium theory still applies because she knew where the cameras were. at the very end she said they were going to move on to find the next one, so apparently see has some knowledge of demon activity.

MilkmyDragon

Well it sure isn't going to milk itself...
My theory, based on what we have seen so far, is that this is definitely the real Dante, and I think the game will be about him coming to terms with both his demonic and angel powers, learining more about his origin, and accepting his responsability to protect the humans from the demons influence, I am also pretty certain that there will be a romance of sort between Dante and the girl we saw in the demo. We know so far that the world the humans live in is an ilusion, and is controled by the demons, and that Dante has a personal grudge against them, and that as a result of the demons controling the humans he has been tossed aside by society.
So what I think will happen is this:
There are humans who are aware of the demons influence, and as a result are rebelling against them, Dante is asked to help them, and he agrees, but for his own personal reasons, but as the game progreses and he falls in love with the girl, even though he is half angel and half demon, he discovers his humanity and in the end sacrifices his angelic powers to break the ilussion, and set the humans free from the demons influence.

Well thats what I make of it anyway...

Domenic93

I think that it might DmC is a prequel to devil may cry 2 they both look alike kinda if you cut each face in half and put them next to each other, it would make sense, since both dino and DMC2 dante act out of character their personalitys are the same, they both look like they got the crap beat out of them, and to fans, DMC2 should have never existed, so does this mean that capcom is offically saying Devil may cry 2 is non-canon

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I think that it might DmC is a prequel to devil may cry 2 they both look alike kinda if you cut each face in half and put them next to each other, it would make sense, since both dino and DMC2 dante act out of character their personalitys are the same, they both look like they got the crap beat out of them, and to fans, DMC2 should have never existed, so does this mean that capcom is offically saying Devil may cry 2 is non-canon
I recently played dmc and dmc2, one right after the other, and i gotta say that i like dmc2 better. It was at this stage that all the basics for the next installments. And i gotta say its the best looking one on the ps2. as for combat, it lacks. and it also lacks in enemies and as a result its just too easy. And i've noticed alot of similarities between the two games. Not like a continuation, but more of the way you traverse through out the level. it had huge levels, unlike dmc 3. and it would of been fun to have had an easier way to travel besides foot. dunno if DmC will have the same type of "scale" in their level design but since surviving/traveling through a demonic city is the "side" objective, i hope i have plenty of room to move around where ever i please

VergilIsBetterThanYou

Dante not having a full head of white hair could be because his demonic powers are just starting to surface. He shows off his powers in public maybe accidentally or he was just being the fun loving Dante we know. Either way this stunt puts him on the Goverments radar. They catch him try to harness his powers maybe. But, in the end Dante is able to escape. On the run he meets another young man with a patch of white hair. (This turns out to be Vergil.) They run from the goverment together. But, when Vergil finds out who Dante is (Dante, should be using the name Tony Redgrave after he escapes if this theory were to work.) Their short lived parntership ends, and their life long battle begins. I picture them giving him a pretty dark and gritty backstory after his mothers death. It would be cool to see what happened when Vergil and Dante meet for the first time after their mothers death. I could see Vergil blaming Dante for it. Personal I think if Vergil is the final boss battle it would be soooo badass.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Dante not having a full head of white hair could be because his demonic powers are just starting to surface.

I heard/read in an interview that the hair was going to be explained. I think the change of the hair was a clever idea. Since all the other iterations of dante were pretty much different cept for the last two, there's shouldnt have been such an uproar over hair color. I hope the story sticks with dante the whole time and really get in touch with dante before he gets full control and becomes who we all "know and love". because i want to know everything! family friends enemies, ya know the works.

Top Bottom