• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Legacy

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I just had an idea for a challenge mode called the nine circles of hell, with each circle getting more and more challenging. or maybe the nine circles of hell could be a side story? Side stories would be a good addition as well. there could be multiple campaigns. Yeah.....

Well in terms of story, I've had 3 in mind, maybe 4, depending on how I'd bring in Nero.
Even though it would make sense to have him around, because the badguys were part of the Order of the Sword once...

Nelo The Great

I think a DMC with more content is exactly what the series needs. if the games weren't so short, i'd probably be playing them right now.

Nelo The Great

and i posted some sketches on my deviantart yesterday of a weapon i had an idea for, although the weapon feels like it would belong in a futuristic hack 'n slash character action game as opposed to DMC

deviantART: inFAMOUS-Austin

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Erian, can you make a more refined sprite for vergil?
Do you mean something like this?
vergil_sprite_001_by_erian1mortal-d6yi2ih.png

Still work in progress, I need to fix the hand and the lightning, it's pretty much a rework of the one I posted earlier. But somehow I think I should go in a more Megaman like direction in terms of looks...
I used a few screenshots of Project X Zone Dante for height references btw.

EDIT:
I just realized, this sprite is way to big for what I was aiming for, it's just around 1 head smaller than the average BlazBlue Sprite I believe.
I'll write it of as an experience, I guess. Maybe I'll still finish it, but as of now I'll have to do another one.

Last edited:

Nelo The Great

I wish we could have sprites that large. But with each attack taking like a second, we'd have to have sooo many different frames for just one animation

Nelo The Great

And also i've been working on some sprites of my own for a different project as well as a very small amount for this one. What do you use to make your artwork?

Nelo The Great

The most important thing to know is what direction your character is looking, and how their stance is. try standing in your character's stance, and draw a bunch of boxes and lines representing body parts. and i have no idea why i'm saying all of this

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I wish we could have sprites that large. But with each attack taking like a second, we'd have to have sooo many different frames for just one animation

It doesn't really matter if the sprite is large or small, the amount of work to do one animation is pretty much the same I think.
What size would you need to have the sprite in?
It would be good to know the limitations that are there before I go to work.

And also i've been working on some sprites of my own for a different project as well as a very small amount for this one. What do you use to make your artwork?

I'm working with adobe photoshop CS5.1, since it's the only program that I actually have at home besides paint, gimp and an older photohop elements version. It's not the newest version but it gets the job done. But when it comes to spriting you can use paint just as well.

The most important thing to know is what direction your character is looking, and how their stance is. try standing in your character's stance, and draw a bunch of boxes and lines representing body parts. and i have no idea why i'm saying all of this

I'm going to mirror the animations anyway, since I've made Vergils Design to be symmetrical that should be possible.
If I'd do a design of DMC3 Vergil I'd have to create sprites for the different directions he is facing seperately, because of the design on his coat. Same goes for Nero, I'd have to create every attack animation twice, it would look weird if his Devil Bringer starts swapping arms.
But that's for the future, right now it's better to create concepts and then take one step at a time with spriting.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
There aren't really any limitations as of now. It's pretty much do whatever you want at this point.

Well, then I'll be able to work at around the size of the sprites that where used in Dust: An Elysian Tale I guess.
It's pretty much perfect for me because I can work with a decent amount of detail without overloading it.

vergil_pixel_by_erian1mortal-d6h0twr.png

That's pretty much the size I'm talking about here . Still it would be nice to know what engine you'd be plan to use these sprites in, so I can plan ahead and work accordingly. For myself I'll use these sprites for animation only (since I don't have any 2D Engine available to me at this point) which means that size limitations aren't a problem to me.
I was trying to sprite at the sizes of the Megaman X games the other day and it would take quite a while longer to get sprites in that size ready, for me at least, since I'm not accoustumed to the workflow of things.

Nelo The Great

I'll be getting a tablet either on or after christmas, so i'll be able to do more work. while i'm working on this i'll also be working on Best friend's Beat 'em Up!

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I'll be using gamemaker 8.1. I still need to purchase it, but i have a limited resources version of it
I'm looking into the trial version of Game Maker to see if these sprites could be imported or if that's impossible to work with.
I'll be getting a tablet either on or after christmas, so i'll be able to do more work. while i'm working on this i'll also be working on Best friend's Beat 'em Up!
If you've never worked with a tablet you'll be in for quite a ride, it took me a few months of practicing (I was learning photoshop on the sidelines) before I got it down. If it's pixelart you want to do then you don't even need a tablet, sometimes I'd say you're better of with a mouse.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
For pixel art i probably won't use my tablet. i'll probably do commissioned artwork to raise money
I wish you the best of luck with that^^
Well I just looked through Gamemaker a bit, while I can't figure out how to animate stuff in there on the fly, it imports sprites of that size with no problems.
But I'd resize them to around 50% of the current size to save disk space I guess.

Top Bottom