• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Legacy

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I was not sure about posting this in this thread or if making a new one would be wiser...

I finally sat down and wrote down what I have planned out for the project till now^^
Took me a while to organize the stuff. Keep in mind what I have written down is pretty much barebones, since I still have a lot of details to flesh out.

1. Goal of the Project

The goal of this project is for me to learn some new things about creating concepts and illustrations. But not only that I want to create "game ready" sprites for all the characters and environments that make it into the project. Depending on how this goes I might use them to animate a sprite movie or use them in Mugen or some sort of 2D engine, but that is still somewhere in the future.

2. Story Premise

The outline of the Story is set a while after DMC4. Nero finds someone who looks like Dante lying in the streets of Fortuna, around him a lot of Demon corpses. The guy however has amnesia. Nero contacts Dante about it. Dante seems to know a little about what is going on, and tells Nero bring that guy over to the Devil May Cry shop.
The rest of the plot is centred in a nearby city where the a renegade group of the Order of the Sword unleashed some kind of Substance and turns people into some kind of Monsters akin to the Stygians from DmC but with human features instead of the Doll like ones. It's revealed that these guys, calling themselves "The Fallen" are some kind of backup Plan that Mundus had in DMC1. They use the so called "Blood of Mundus" to turn into Demons, in the same fashion the Order of the Sword did in DMC4. Dante heads there together with Vergil (who is going by the name of Gilver at that point). There they meet a familiar enemy: Nelo Angelo. He does not talk and teleports away pretty much immediately.
From there on out the two heroes try to find out what their enemies are up to and how to stop them.

3. Characters:
Dante
He is not much different from the Dante we know out of the classic series, just a little bit more serious than he was in DMC4.

Vergil (Gilver)
He has amnesia from the beginning of the Story, till his fight with Nelo Angelo.

Tony Silver
An antagonist to the twins but also to the "Fallen". He is some kind of Magician or Wizard, who keeps the infection through the Blood of Mundus at bay through his powers.

4.Weapons
To be updated.

5.Enemies
To be updated.

6.Bosses
To be updated.
7.Concepts
The Vergil Concept I already posted earlier:​
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2...__vergil_sketches_by_erian1mortal-d6d529u.png

Vergil test sprite, also posted earlier work:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/219/6/4/vergil_pixel_by_erian1mortal-d6h0twr.png

Concept for Tony, also posted earlier:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2...ected_sketchstuff_by_erian1mortal-d6d5201.png

A compilation of sketches I made around last month, showing some enemies, a few concepts for the Fenris boss as well as style tests:
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE...gacy_sketches_001_by_erian1mortal-d6r0tpc.png

Another few sketches, to see what kind of mood I want to go for with concepts:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/292/2/a/dmc__legacy_sketches_002_by_erian1mortal-d6r0u2x.png

Everybody is welcome to give critic and ideas. I plan to update this thread to update at least once within a month, be it with concept art, new ideas or actual sprite work.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
so what nero's role in the story?
I'm still working on that, personally I'd like to make this somewhat of a community project, since we have a lot of talented writers and artists here on the boards!
And to be realistic I'm not a really good writer, I like to come up with basic concepts of a story but most of the time my head overflows with ideas, of which most end up in oblivion, that has the bad side effect that I have a bunch of scenarios in mind but none of these fit each other...
I hope to update this project within the upcomming week, there are a few new enemy designs as well as a new design for Vergil for which I'd like to hear opinions. I'm also starting to look into what kind of sprites I want to have, wether I want to go into a more Castlevania style or more of a Megaman X (SNES) style.

Nelo The Great

I'm still working on that, personally I'd like to make this somewhat of a community project, since we have a lot of talented writers and artists here on the boards!
And to be realistic I'm not a really good writer, I like to come up with basic concepts of a story but most of the time my head overflows with ideas, of which most end up in oblivion, that has the bad side effect that I have a bunch of scenarios in mind but none of these fit each other...
I hope to update this project within the upcomming week, there are a few new enemy designs as well as a new design for Vergil for which I'd like to hear opinions. I'm also starting to look into what kind of sprites I want to have, wether I want to go into a more Castlevania style or more of a Megaman X (SNES) style.
i think the most appropriate styling would be sprites in the style of megaman x 4-6

Erian1Mortal

Premium
i think the most appropriate styling would be sprites in the style of megaman x 4-6
All in all, I'd sprite in 200 or 300 % of the original resolution, since in an animation the screen would have an 1920 × 1080 pixel resolution, which is quite large for sprites. But well, we're still at the beginnings here so first I'll have to do concept work and storywriting, then comes spriting. Long ways to go I guess.

By the way, I've tried getting on to the forum you talked about, but it seems they don't like my mail provider, so I don't get any verification e-mails and stuff like that.

Nelo The Great

All in all, I'd sprite in 200 or 300 % of the original resolution, since in an animation the screen would have an 1920 × 1080 pixel resolution, which is quite large for sprites. But well, we're still at the beginnings here so first I'll have to do concept work and storywriting, then comes spriting. Long ways to go I guess.

By the way, I've tried getting on to the forum you talked about, but it seems they don't like my mail provider, so I don't get any verification e-mails and stuff like that.
You were required to have a verification email? that's odd. i don't remember having to get one, but it was a long time ago that i made my account. i'm hoping to get a drawing tablet soon, but i have absolutely no cash coming in right now. I'm glad that i actually remembered this project. i'm somewhat formulating a plan on how to get some team members. i think joining speakeasy interactive, my friends game studio, would be a great opprotunity for us. Even if only we were to work on the project, building onto an existing studio's reputation with our skills would be mutually beneficial towards all members involved. i've also been contemplating whether or not i should flesh out my concept for a two best friends play beat 'em up game. pretty soon i'll be starting a junior two best friends play channel with my friend, and hopefully i'll be able to get noticed enough by the best friends zaibatsu to throw that idea towards them

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Yeah, there was that verification stuff, could be because I'm from outside of the US. Still if you need anything for your projects, I am all for helping out with some concept drawings, just send me a message here on the forums or on my Deviant Art profile (it's in my signature)!
Good luck with that youtube channel, too!

Nelo The Great

Yeah, there was that verification stuff, could be because I'm from outside of the US. Still if you need anything for your projects, I am all for helping out with some concept drawings, just send me a message here on the forums or on my Deviant Art profile (it's in my signature)!
Good luck with that youtube channel, too!
Thank you! are you able to make animations?

Nelo The Great

Not yet, but I'm learning that on the sidelines, sprite animation at least, 3D is a whole different beast.
Good, because i've been trying to draw some key frames for certain moves. They were originally supposed to be for the twobestfriends beat 'em up, but moves are moves

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Well here is the update on the Vergil design, I've included pretty much every step or piece of art that brought me closer to what I actually wanted him to look like in the end:
dmc_legacy__vergil_process_by_erian1mortal-d6vlk5s.png

Basically I've gone through the following thought process while working on this. In the beginning there was the inspiration of how Gilver looked in the DMC1 Novel, with a suit and all that. Then there was the color, why did I not use blue?
Well it's simple: I've wanted to bring Vergil back to his roots in terms of color. Since technically Nelo Angelo was Vergils Video Game debut in my eyes.
When it came to the hair style, well I've tried to go away from the style we no a little bit but failed. So I've kept the DMC3 attire (I've still added a ponytail, dunno why, I just thought it fit in with the rest).
After a while I ditched the Idea with the suit and got back to good old fashioned Leather mantles. I went to a few variations on this one and settled on one that looked a little bit like the one Dante had in DMC2.
After tweaking it a bit and looking to further refine the image that had build itseld in my head I ended up taking quite a bit of inspiration from Samurai and Roman Warriors, which I tried to incorporate within the design.

What do you think is this a design for Vergil you'd actually want to play as or would you change things up a bit?

Nelo The Great

Well here is the update on the Vergil design, I've included pretty much every step or piece of art that brought me closer to what I actually wanted him to look like in the end:
dmc_legacy__vergil_process_by_erian1mortal-d6vlk5s.png

Basically I've gone through the following thought process while working on this. In the beginning there was the inspiration of how Gilver looked in the DMC1 Novel, with a suit and all that. Then there was the color, why did I not use blue?
Well it's simple: I've wanted to bring Vergil back to his roots in terms of color. Since technically Nelo Angelo was Vergils Video Game debut in my eyes.
When it came to the hair style, well I've tried to go away from the style we no a little bit but failed. So I've kept the DMC3 attire (I've still added a ponytail, dunno why, I just thought it fit in with the rest).
After a while I ditched the Idea with the suit and got back to good old fashioned Leather mantles. I went to a few variations on this one and settled on one that looked a little bit like the one Dante had in DMC2.
After tweaking it a bit and looking to further refine the image that had build itseld in my head I ended up taking quite a bit of inspiration from Samurai and Roman Warriors, which I tried to incorporate within the design.

What do you think is this a design for Vergil you'd actually want to play as or would you change things up a bit?
The design, while really good, has a different feel than what vergil's character puts off. that's one reason i like DmC vergil. while being a different character, he puts off a similar energy as the original. this character design seems to drift away from the feel of DMC. Whether you feel that's good or not is the deciding factor in this design. if i had a graphics tablet, i'd start drawing some concepts as well.

Nelo The Great

and i've been working on the anatomy of certain moves. i'm drawing skeletal structures of different moves to build a nice base so the moves look clean and sharp

Erian1Mortal

Premium
The design, while really good, has a different feel than what vergil's character puts off. that's one reason i like DmC vergil. while being a different character, he puts off a similar energy as the original. this character design seems to drift away from the feel of DMC. Whether you feel that's good or not is the deciding factor in this design. if i had a graphics tablet, i'd start drawing some concepts as well.

Well a different vibe is what I'm going for with this, remember this Vergil has amnesia for a part of the story and I do believe that he and Dante were pretty much alike, that's why I tried to go for something inbetween Dante and him.

and i've been working on the anatomy of certain moves. i'm drawing skeletal structures of different moves to build a nice base so the moves look clean and sharp

Yeah I've been working on something like that too, but I wanted the main design finished before I go into movesets and weapons

Nelo The Great

Well a different vibe is what I'm going for with this, remember this Vergil has amnesia for a part of the story and I do believe that he and Dante were pretty much alike, that's why I tried to go for something inbetween Dante and him.

Yeah I've been working on something like that too, but I wanted the main design finished before I go into movesets and weapons
He almost looks too young i think. i think that while the amnesia would give him a more child-like personality, he should initially have a more mature look. and maybe the first stage of the game is the fight with mundus that he had after DMC3

Erian1Mortal

Premium
He almost looks too young i think. i think that while the amnesia would give him a more child-like personality, he should initially have a more mature look. and maybe the first stage of the game is the fight with mundus that he had after DMC3

Yep, that would be pretty much the first thing to see within the story. I'd make him look more the age of DMC1 Dante, since he did not age normally. He pretty much blew up in DMC1 and when he "rebuild" or reformed himself after DMC4 (since pretty much all Angelos were destroyed) his personality split between Vergil and Nelo Angelo, which results in an walking Armor and the Vergil in the Concept. He would regain his memories after defeating Nelo which gives him the chance to reflect on his actions from the view of another person, pretty much giving him a chance to redeem himself or fall deeper into the abyss.

Nelo The Great

Yep, that would be pretty much the first thing to see within the story. I'd make him look more the age of DMC1 Dante, since he did not age normally. He pretty much blew up in DMC1 and when he "rebuild" or reformed himself after DMC4 (since pretty much all Angelos were destroyed) his personality split between Vergil and Nelo Angelo, which results in an walking Armor and the Vergil in the Concept. He would regain his memories after defeating Nelo which gives him the chance to reflect on his actions from the view of another person, pretty much giving him a chance to redeem himself or fall deeper into the abyss.
i really like that idea

Erian1Mortal

Premium
i really like that idea
That and the synopsis (which still needs a lot of work) that I've posted is pretty much all of story I have right now...
Well he also gets a new Katana like weapon called Dark Angel when defeating Nelo, giving him a weapon that symbolises his own power, pretty much like the Sparda sword for his father or Rebellion for Dante.

Nelo The Great

I just had an idea for a challenge mode called the nine circles of hell, with each circle getting more and more challenging. or maybe the nine circles of hell could be a side story? Side stories would be a good addition as well. there could be multiple campaigns. Yeah.....

Top Bottom