• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Legacy

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I thought I'd make a thread for this.
DmC: Legacy is a little concept project I've started for myself.
Primarily it's a few Concept Illustrations I want to work on. These include mood paintings, character and enemy designs as well as Environments. I've just started with this project and I hope the art that is to come out of it will be enjoyable!

This is my current work in progress, an enemy I dubbed "Tormentor", it's still missing the blade-legs, color and a lot of details, I've just worked on this for around 50 minutes (I know I'm slow as hell...)
a297e9374cc2d702758ae16ca827f3c0-d5vb0xz.png

I'll update this post as soon as I have something new, there is a lot of stuff planned, some I've already sketched out.
Feel free to ask questions or give suggestions, ideas etc.

Erian1Mortal

Premium

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Cool drawings man. Good luck.
Thanks mate^^

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/057/b/4/phantom_by_erian1mortal-d5w9ob9.png
This is a Phantom concept I started. Originally I wanted to look at the critters from DmC for reference. I looked at poison and the original instead.
While working on it I came to the conclusion that it I did not want Lava and rocks, I opted for Blood and bone, the main body would be a beating heart, with some kind of ribcage around, which would also connect them to the body.
Phantom is a demon which has is lair in Mallet Hospital (I know very original). It sucks blood from all the patients, through the walls etc, since the hospital is essentially an extension of itself. That way the floors withing are unrealisticly clean, which would allow for some pretty surrealistic level design. The farther Dante goes into the lair, the more organic it'll become, think of the Leviathan level in DMC3.
Well that's the basic concept behind it. I'll refine these sketches when holiday comes around in a few weeks.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I'm not sure what i want to do yet. I think it might be a 2D Shooter/ platformer, of somewhere along those lines

While this project is more for me to get better at concepting stuff, in my mind this game would be a Castlevania SotN/Mega Man X hybrid in 2,5D. If I'd try to sprite stuff I would probably want to do sprites in the style of Odin Sphere, since I love how detailed this stuff was done!

EDIT:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2...__vergil_sketches_by_erian1mortal-d6d529u.png
A few Vergil Sketches

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2...ected_sketchstuff_by_erian1mortal-d6d5201.png
Sketches of an maybe antagonistic character simply calle the Infected at the moment

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2...earteater_concept_by_erian1mortal-d6d51qz.png
A throw-away enemy design, called Hearteater (cheesy I know) but I do not think it fits the DMC universe.

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/158/0/7/dante_face_2_by_erian1mortal-d6841za.png
Another Dante, more in line with the DMC4 concepts

Erian1Mortal

Premium
vergil_pixel_by_erian1mortal-d6h0twr.png

Well, I tried my hand at Spriting again.
Worked suprisingly well this time. This one is based on my Vergil Design from earlier.
Plus a few weapons I'd give him:

-Yamato
-Phantom Blades
-The Fenris (Greaves + Tonfa-Claws)
-The Dark Angel (2 Handed blade, similar to the one he had as Nelo Angelo)

I'll probably resprite the whole thing and when I find a design I like then I'll make a full sprite sheet with animations out of it.

Nelo The Great

vergil_pixel_by_erian1mortal-d6h0twr.png

Well, I tried my hand at Spriting again.
Worked suprisingly well this time. This one is based on my Vergil Design from earlier.
Plus a few weapons I'd give him:

-Yamato
-Phantom Blades
-The Fenris (Greaves + Tonfa-Claws)
-The Dark Angel (2 Handed blade, similar to the one he had as Nelo Angelo)

I'll probably resprite the whole thing and when I find a design I like then I'll make a full sprite sheet with animations out of it.
but it looks a little bit to rounded for me. it should be a little more edgy

Erian1Mortal

Premium
but it looks a little bit to rounded for me. it should be a little more edgy
Yeah, as I said I'll resprite the whole thing, this one was just a first test, just to see how it would look when I try to sprite.
It's about the size of the main character sprite in Dust: An Elysian Tale.
I'll try to get some different styles down, right now I'm working on Megaman X and Castlevania Synphony of the Night styled sprites, even though I have to say, I really have to tone down details for these, that's why I choose to start a little bigger^^
By the way: Have you found more people to help out with your project?
I did'nt have time to sign up on the other forum yet, due to a lot of school stuff as well as personal things...

Nelo The Great

Yeah, as I said I'll resprite the whole thing, this one was just a first test, just to see how it would look when I try to sprite.
It's about the size of the main character sprite in Dust: An Elysian Tale.
I'll try to get some different styles down, right now I'm working on Megaman X and Castlevania Synphony of the Night styled sprites, even though I have to say, I really have to tone down details for these, that's why I choose to start a little bigger^^
By the way: Have you found more people to help out with your project?
I did'nt have time to sign up on the other forum yet, due to a lot of school stuff as well as personal things...
Well, my friend's single handed-ly developing a platforming/adventure game for the PC right now under the studio name of speakeasy interactive. he said he'd like to help me with a project after he's done with june bug (the game)

And also another person who's a pretty decent writer that does short films has also said he's wanted to work with us on something. so i have a small group of people. And personal things?

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Well, my friend's single handed-ly developing a platforming/adventure game for the PC right now under the studio name of speakeasy interactive. he said he'd like to help me with a project after he's done with june bug (the game)

And also another person who's a pretty decent writer that does short films has also said he's wanted to work with us on something. so i have a small group of people. And personal things?

Sounds good, so you only need a spriter now I guess. As I said I'd be on board as a concept artist because as you can see my spriting still has long ways to go.

Yeah, I've been busy with developing my own illustration project, my comic as well as DMC:Legacy (there are quite a few concepts I want to flesh out).

Erian1Mortal

Premium

Nelo The Great

Looks interesting!
I'm waiting for my activation code for the forum right now.
Do you already have any plans or ideas for the project?
I'd like to sketch stuff out, so that we can find an artstyle that suits the project!
I've been thinking alot about that, and it's really a hard thing to pinpoint. one thing i like about DMC as oppose to DmC is the fact that the combat feels more heavy hitting, while DmC feels lighter, and almost feels like you're getting pushed around more than the amount of pushing you'll able to do. I'd like to not only capture the hard hitting attacks of the original series in combat, but also the sheer intensity of each hit as well as the stylish-ness of the moves pulled off. Kinda fast, flashy combat captured in a 2D perspective, with a dark, edgy feel.

And i have no idea what direction i'm pulling this in

Erian1Mortal

Premium

I've bee looking through quite a lot of 2D games lately. You should check out Shank 1 and 2, Dust and the Demo version of Valdis Story. Especially Valdis Story, which seems to be a hybrid of DMC and Castlevania SotN.

What's important to me right now is mostly the graphical feeling you want to achieve. For example do you want to get more of the dark and somewhat gritty atmosphere that DMC1 and 2 had or do you want it to be more colorful, which in my opinion DMC3 and 4 where.
This would help me to sketch out ideas for characters as well as environments, doesn't matter if we use the ideas or not, just so that I get a feeling for this project.

Nelo The Great

I've bee looking through quite a lot of 2D games lately. You should check out Shank 1 and 2, Dust and the Demo version of Valdis Story. Especially Valdis Story, which seems to be a hybrid of DMC and Castlevania SotN.

What's important to me right now is mostly the graphical feeling you want to achieve. For example do you want to get more of the dark and somewhat gritty atmosphere that DMC1 and 2 had or do you want it to be more colorful, which in my opinion DMC3 and 4 where.
This would help me to sketch out ideas for characters as well as environments, doesn't matter if we use the ideas or not, just so that I get a feeling for this project.
It'd be cool to give it a dark tone, with a couple of bright focal points in images, simmilar to nelo angelo's design, as well as some of the GLO monsters in Final Fight: Streetwise

Erian1Mortal

Premium

Yeah he was supposed to be a rebooted Nero, when this project was still about DmC. The original Idea was that he was the child of demon collaborators. But when Mundus got beaten the Malice (I believe it was called) began to run wild and started turning people into "Human" Stygians, kind of like the Marionettes in DMC1. As a child of Demon collaborators he was used for experiments, which lead to him having more Demon like powers and the Devil Bringer, which allows him to form the Malice into different weapons and to create After Images from the Demons he has slain (kind of like the claws of Hades in God of War 3).
I've changed most of this back story when I changed this little project around. He is now a new character, kind of an antagonist. Someone for Vergil to fight against. He is infected with something called the blood of Mundus, a backup plan Mundus made for the case he got beaten before fully resurrecting himself in DMC1. This stuff was used by the Order in DMC4 to create the Angelos and their "Angel" Forms. Since the Order is now in disarray after DMC4 some formed a new group called "The Fallen" (not the final name). They have their base inside a little city not far away from where Dante lives (which they don't know). They release the stuff there, kind of like in Resident evil, and the whole place goes to hell (in some parts literally). This new character is not one of these "Fallen", he's got his powers through the blood of Mundus, but keeps it at bay through his own abilities. He is something of a Magician now, and I've named him Tony Silver. He's not really a bad guy per se but he is not on the anybodys side but his own. The powers he had in the rough draft for the DmC version are still the same only that his arm now is not the Devil Bringer anymore.

Man this became a longer write than I wanted. I'll update this project in a proper way soon, with more descriptions of what I have thought up.

Top Bottom