• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dmc 5 is here. Lets speculate :)

DarkSlayer54

Maybe the developers thought it's too easy to evade enemy attacks when you're in mid-air.
I hope "too easy" is never a reason for them... whether something is fun is what matters.

If a player can cheese an entire section with Vergil, so what? Good players will decide how easy or hard they want to make it themselves... if they don't want to rely on crutches, they won't.

VengeanceSavage

All that you were programmed to be afraid of
I’m calling it right now.

Dante’s son is called Vero.

Nergil though... "has a nice ring to it, don't ya' think?"
b174a750d52043370504a20929be5054.jpg

Goldsickle

I hope "too easy" is never a reason for them... whether something is fun is what matters.

If a player can cheese an entire section with Vergil, so what? Good players will decide how easy or hard they want to make it themselves... if they don't want to rely on crutches, they won't.
Let's hope more basic moves aren't made to be Devil Trigger-only in the future.

Honestly, they keep swapping which moves are basic, Devil Trigger-exclusive or Style exclusive.
Back in DMC3, you could perform Drive as a basic move but in DMC4, it's Swordmaster-exclusive.

VengeanceSavage

All that you were programmed to be afraid of
What do you guys think about DMC 5's main villain apparently being even more powerful than Mundus? That's just about all we know about them...

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
There was fanart on youtube etc of it looking like a suit of armor. Underneath it was a bloodied Vergil but i imagine there is a twist.

Goldsickle

Because Styles are outdated and they needed a way to fill out their skill trees.
Yeah, totally.

Styles was just a way to regulate the large moves list.
I'd rather Dante be able to use all his Devil Arms skills on the spot without the need to "change Style".
It would also be better if moves like dodging and guarding is something you can do without Style changing too.

If you fully utilize all the button to maximize efficiency, you may end up resorting to mapping the Devil Trigger change to L3+R3, though.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, totally.

Styles was just a way to regulate the large moves list.
I'd rather Dante be able to use all his Devil Arms skills on the spot without the need to "change Style".
It would also be better if moves like dodging and guarding is something you can do without Style changing too.

If you fully utilize all the button to maximize efficiency, you may end up resorting to mapping the Devil Trigger change to L3+R3, though.

Not exactly, Nero exemplifies a control scheme that unifies Style-based functions, that Dante's control scheme could make use of. I talked about it here, after all.

windleopard

My personal theory is that Vergil will return but V will be more a part of Vergil.

Let me explain. Remember how in Final Fantasy Advent Children, Sephiroth was reborn into three beings? The same could be said of Vergil here. V is a piece of Vergil's being reborn and his scenario will be about him trying to become whole again.

Goldsickle

Not exactly, Nero exemplifies a control scheme that unifies Style-based functions, that Dante's control scheme could make use of.
Nero still uses the "hold R1 to walk slowly and you must lock on and press a specific direction to perform alternate moves" kind of scheme.
For me, it's more than just the Styles, it's the entire scheme itself.
The "hold R1 for f***ing everything" is a remnant of the game's origin as a Resident Evil title and it's something I'd like to see abolished.

If they were to revamp the scheme from scratch and then map common moves to its own buttons, then there might not be any room left for a Devil Trigger button.
The problem with Nero's scheme is that I don't think Circle as a launcher a la DmC would work, since he still needs a dedicated button for the Devil Bringer.
I just love the idea that launchers and multi-direction dodge has their own dedicated button and if I were to think up of a control scheme from the ground up, I might use DmC's scheme as a basis.

The best I can think of is to map Devil Bringer to R2 but people will probably hate that.

berto

I Saw the Devil
You know. it occured to me that the devil tree might be another call back the DMC1 novel. There is a scene where one of Gru's girls is trapped in a hospital and she's become a tree that is pulling the demon world to this reality. They also said that the area is weak because there is only on person but that they would use all humans in this fashion to bring the demon world to this one.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Nero still uses the "hold R1 to walk slowly and you must lock on and press a specific direction to perform alternate moves" kind of scheme.
For me, it's more than just the Styles, it's the entire scheme itself.
The "hold R1 for f***ing everything" is a remnant of the game's origin as a Resident Evil title and it's something I'd like to see abolished.

If they were to revamp the scheme from scratch and then map common moves to its own buttons, then there might not be any room left for a Devil Trigger button.
The problem with Nero's scheme is that I don't think Circle as a launcher a la DmC would work, since he still needs a dedicated button for the Devil Bringer.
I just love the idea that launchers and multi-direction dodge has their own dedicated button and if I were to think up of a control scheme from the ground up, I might use DmC's scheme as a basis.

The best I can think of is to map Devil Bringer to R2 but people will probably hate that.

As much as I love DmC's controls, the classic's control scheme could be immensely improved just by R1 not slowing your movement, because it's super useless when we can choose to walk ourselves. Leave in shooting that slows your movement, that's fine, but there's no reason for us to have our movement restricted nearly as much as it is in these games, especially when it constantly pushes for precision in the gameplay.

Goldsickle

the classic's control scheme could be immensely improved just by R1 not slowing your movement,
That would definitely be a massive improvement.
After playing DmC: DE and Metal Gear Rising, lock-on function where the character doesn't move slowly for no reason is the way to go.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Meh. I honestly don't think being able to run while locked on would be such a huge improvement. More like a QOL thing. Sure it would be an improvement but not as massive as you guys are making it out to be. After all, you two are the only people I've ever seen that are bothered by it in any way, pretty much everyone has no problem with it at all and besides, running while in combat looks and feels awkward anyway in these games. Using moves for traversal while fighting is much more stylish, efficient, and faster, I might add.

I made a thread, not too long ago, where I talked about closing the gap with enemies with style, where I went through each DMC4SE character providing examples on how to do it without running, which looks really silly while fighting imo. When every character in these games has a plethora of movement options like Stinger-ish moves, teleports, dashes, double jumps or some way to bring the enemies close to them, the option of running while in combat would really be an incredibly minor thing to add. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want to have it implemented, but at the same time it's not that big of a deal at all imo.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Meh. I honestly don't think being able to run while locked on would be such a huge improvement. More like a QOL thing. Sure it would be an improvement but not as massive as you guys are making it out to be. After all, you two are the only people I've ever seen that are bothered by it in any way, pretty much everyone has no problem with it at all and besides, running while in combat looks and feels awkward anyway in these games. Using moves for traversal while fighting is much more stylish, efficient, and faster, I might add.

I made a thread, not too long ago, where I talked about closing the gap with enemies with style, where I went through each DMC4SE character providing examples on how to do it without running, which looks really silly while fighting imo. When every character in these games has a plethora of movement options like Stinger-ish moves, teleports, dashes, or some way to bring the enemies close to them, the option of running while in combat would really be an incredibly minor thing to add. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want to have it implemented, but at the same time it's not that big of a deal at all imo.

I have an ever better idea than running while locked on. Instant Sprinting and Locked Sprinting.

Just by double tapping forward you sprint automatically and if you're locked on and you activate Sprinting you make a mad dash to the locked target.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Just by double tapping forward you sprint automatically

Just by double tapping forward

double tapping forward

:grumpy:

Ugh. DmC gave me enough nightmares about that kind of input in a non 2D game already. I don't wanna see it ever again in Devil May Cry.
Really, just giving the option to run while locked on would be enough. I'm just arguing that, while handy, it wouldn't be this incredibly big improvement is all.

DarkSlayer54

How would you guys feel if they added an additional "Lock-on" button, except it functioned as a toggle?

Lets say it was mapped to D-Pad Up. When pressed just once, an enemy gets locked on, allowing you to run around in circles and do whatever. R1 (the "Hold" lock-on button) simply acting as a combat modifier at that point - allowing you to do R1 + Back + Attack, or what have you.

Heck, to take the idea even further, how would you feel if the combat style changed when you hold R1? Without it, your attacks would be more wide sweeping, for crowd control. With R1, it's as you'd expect. In a nutt shell, a few extra moves being thrown in.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
How would you guys feel if they added an additional "Lock-on" button, except it functioned as a toggle?

Lets say it was mapped to D-Pad Up. When pressed just once, an enemy gets locked on, allowing you to run around in circles and do whatever. R1 (the "Hold" lock-on button) simply acting as a combat modifier at that point - allowing you to do R1 + Back + Attack, or what have you.

I think all of this can just be summed up into allowing people to run or walk while locked on depending on how hard you push the stick, and adding an option to let the lock on be a toggle like in DmCDE. No need to take up a slot on the DPad or anywhere else.

Erian1Mortal

Premium

I made a thread, not too long ago, where I talked about closing the gap with enemies with style, where I went through each DMC4SE character providing examples on how to do it without running, which looks really silly while fighting imo. When every character in these games has a plethora of movement options like Stinger-ish moves, teleports, dashes, double jumps or some way to bring the enemies close to them, the option of running while in combat would really be an incredibly minor thing to add. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want to have it implemented, but at the same time it's not that big of a deal at all imo.

I dunno, I'm also of the opinion that the walking speed should at least be faster when locked on. But I don't want pure running, more like the strafing in Darksiders 2, wich reverts back to walking when you shoot with the gun.
That is probably the best middle-ground.

If we go with full on running we'd have to overhaul the whole lock on system to be more like Kingdom Hearts (Toggle lock on) and that would kill all move inputs (wich I don't want).

I'm also not a fan of the double tap, it gave me finger cramps in all kinds of fighting games, as well as Lords of Shadow....

Top Bottom