• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dmc 5 is here. Lets speculate :)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I dunno, I'm also of the opinion that the walking speed should at least be faster when locked on.

Yeah as I said, it's a good quality of life addition. What I'm saying is, it doesn't impact the game in any significant way to be called a "massive improvement" or anything of the sort. That's just an exaggeration. Especially in a game with a crap ton of movement options that are all better than running in more ways than one.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Meh. I honestly don't think being able to run while locked on would be such a huge improvement. More like a QOL thing.

Some QoL changes can have a huge impact on the feel of the game. DMC really needs to cut the cord on its relation to Resident Evil; it was superfluous in the first game, and continuing to adhere to it as if it must remember its roots is working to the franchise's detriment. Let me lock on and move like normal - if I want to walk, I'll lightly tilt the left stick.

The point is that design needs to have reason, and if there's no justifiable reason why something can't be different and/or better, then making those changes should be a huge priority. It was already a huge improvement over Resident Evil that holding R1 didn't lock you in place, but this isn't use staring down iron sights to precisely aim our shots, we don't need half the mechanics used for precision shooting in a control element using a hard lock-on.

:grumpy:

Ugh. DmC gave me enough nightmares about that kind of input in a non 2D game already. I don't wanna see it ever again in Devil May Cry.

Gonna be real honest here, what in pluperfect hell is the problem with double-tapping forward on the left stick? If you can already competently direct the left stick input for Stingers and High Times in a 3D space, what is the problem with an input that was used to great effect in other action games that followed DMC? That exact input is used for God Hand, too, and it works just fine.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Some QoL changes can have a huge impact on the feel of the game.

Yeah not this one. I really don't see what massive impact on the game being able to run while locked on would bring. I didn't deny that it would feel nice, and I feel like you completely ignored all the parts where I said it's something I'd like to be implemented as well. Nowhere did I say it's something I don't want to be added. But once again, my point is that I really think you're making a huge deal out of something really trivial at the end of the day in this game. It doesn't make a night and day difference. I can see where you come from when it comes to Dante's control scheme and his Styles. But this is something minor, which I can't shake the feeling you're intentionally blowing out of proportion cause you're feeling compelled to be overly critical.

If that feature gets implemented, I'll be fine with it. But if it doesn't, I'm not gonna act like it's this massive deal as you're making it sound like.

Gonna be real honest here, what in pluperfect hell is the problem with double-tapping forward on the left stick?

General feeling of awkwardness and lack of precision for that specific kind of input in a non 2D game. When I play Street Fighter, I have no problem with double tapping to dash forward or backwards for example, as the radius in which the game recognizes the horizontal input is pretty huge since it's only two dimensions. In DmC, that was not the case, obviously and, sometimes, the second push would be slightly off compared to the first one so Dante would Stinger like, an enemy just next to the one I actually wanted. Or, when I wanted a Stinger like, really quick, a couple times it would not come out because in trying to push the stick forward the second time, the game would not recognize the input because, in the haste, I didn't get the stick to the neutral position all the way before the second push. Little annoying things like those. It just felt awkward all around and I don't want it back.

Excuse me if I have certain preferences when it comes to controls, I guess. Note how my post was worded as completely subjective. I'm stating what I didn't like about that kind of input. If you liked it, then you're free to gush over it but I don't see why you're getting angry at me just cause I hated it. It's just a personal preference of mine, I can't do anything about it and the same applies to you.

I just don't think that input fits hectic 3D action games is all, calm down. You may disagree and that's fine but you're not gonna change my mind, the experience I had controller in hand counts more than anything you might type.
In all fairness though, I have to mention that playing DmC on PC slightly alleviated the problem because pressing an actual key on the keyboard twice rather than double pushing a stick felt less inconvenient and the mouse is far more accurate than a thumbstick can ever hope to be but that's only because of the peripherals.

Speaking of which, if there's one thing I want from DmC in terms of controls, is actual support for keyboard AND mouse in the PC version. People always say a controller is a must in games like these, but DmC actually was really comfy to play with K&M. We shouldn't have to resort to overriding scripts just to be able to use our mouse.

And with this I said my piece. Now if you wanna go ahead and go on a long tirade about how I'm completely objectively wrong or something like that, be my guest. I suspect my reply to that would just be me repeating myself so I tried to condense my thoughts in a long-ish single post to spare myself the tedium of having to say the same things over and over. I'll just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

DarkSlayer54

I think all of this can just be summed up into allowing people to run or walk while locked on depending on how hard you push the stick, and adding an option to let the lock on be a toggle like in DmCDE. No need to take up a slot on the DPad or anywhere else.

Never played DmCDE, but wouldn't a toggle be awkward without a button acting as a attack modifier (R1) for DMCV?

I get why DmC could get away with just one button, but trying to imagine DMCV... maybe it's just the muscle memory, but something about it doesn't sit well with me.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Never played DmCDE, but wouldn't a toggle be awkward without a button acting as a attack modifier (R1) for DMCV?

To be fair, on PC I use Xpadder to make R1 a toggle and it doesn't change much, to do directional dependant moves like High Time or Stinger I just press direction + Triangle. The only problem comes with Nero, as he performs either Snatch or Buster depending on whether or not R1 is being held down. For Nero I turn the toggle off.

But I mean, nothing prevents them from reworking how the mechanic works to better fit a toggle. For example, they could make it so that Buster is performed if Circle is being held down while a tap does Snatch.

Or, they could do it like Overwatch and make the option not universal but settable for each character. So if you don't like toggle for Nero but you want it for Dante, you can set the option separately so you don't have to change it every time you switch between them.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
FFXV had those two locks, using R1 to hold and then if you clicked R3 (center camera) while locking onto an enemy, it became a hard lock toggle so you could let off R1. It always felt a liiiittle weird to do that, given the directional inputs based on lock-on usage (like with DMC), since like, muscle memory using R1 is different when not using it.

Do you think it might also help if they just made Snatch an R1+Back+O input, given the feel of "pulling a target," so that Buster could be used with the hard lock?

@Foxtrot94 Right, sorry. A bit hyperbolic. It's just that for as much as I love DMC's action, it feels like so many other games that came after it are making so many improvements, and doing so much to not make me feel so restricted while still delivering exciting action - it's why I prefer a lot of what DmC has done because it all feels very smooth. I've never felt any benefits from being restricted in the way DMC does it, so it's always a big question mark for me in regards to why it's never improved. It's a bit of frustration wanting to see DMC become something better that I know it can be, instead of kinda stagnating, almost refusing change in ways that can just make the game feel better and be more accessible.

SPARTAN-1000

NO PAIN NO GAIN
Cant wait to hear Dante's Theme , And see him Use sparda sword . And what New styles he could have , plus the Bike Looks like A weapon , i hope we Can use it

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Speaking of Styles. I find it funny how the melee focused combat style is SwordMaster when Rebellion (and I guess Agni and Rudra) were the only sword weapons Dante ever used. Wouldn't it make sense to call it WeaponMaster?

Goldsickle

Meh. I honestly don't think being able to run while locked on would be such a huge improvement.
If I want to fight a horde of enemies but focus on one specific unit, I have two methods:

1. Keep enemy locked on but have movement slowed down at all times and the only way to move quickly from one place to another is to jump repeatedly (not every character has Dash) and randomly do side rolls depending on where the locked-on target is.

2. Run around the field and only lock-on when you're going to perform a special move. Except that sometimes when you press R1, you might be locked on to the wrong enemy, like a Gladius and it pulls the camera away from the enemy you were looking at, due it whizzing around fast. You have to keep R1 held down as you toggle the lock-on until you get the right enemy and might get hit because it's hard to try and toggle lock-on and look out for enemy attacks at the same time.

And then DmC: DE introduced running with lock-on activated, which lifts a huge goddamn weight off my shoulders.
When I say it's a massive improvement, I mean it.

Double-tapping the analog stick is DmC's biggest weakness but completely rectified when the lock-on style input is implemented in the Definitive Edition.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Rewatching the Xbox Inside interview, I like how it seems like the Enemy Step hitbox is not the size of a house anymore like in the reboot and (for some reason I got that impression) Lady from DMC4SE.

giphy.webp

Hopefully they'll bring that mechanic from DMC4 back, where to get the perfect follow-up you have to mind where your feet are in relation to each enemy (so for Frosts it'd be their waist, for Scarecrows their feet and so on). It allowed for different setups in terms of how to time your ES after a launcher depending on the opponent.

If the game has a playable demo in the future, I'd love to see some sort of Cheat Table from the community similar to one I had for old DMC4 where it allows to display enemy data and hitbox size, I always liked analyzing technical stuff like that.

DarkSlayer54

Rewatching the Xbox Inside interview, I like how it seems like the Enemy Step hitbox is not the size of a house anymore like in the reboot and (for some reason I got that impression) Lady from DMC4SE.

I don't like that at all. It would be nice if they let us modify how big that hitbox is.

Ideally, I'd love to have a "Infinite Air Hike" cheat, and then a hitbox modifier on top of that. Would let players practice the general timing of JC, before moving onto practicing the general positioning of it.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
According to TVtropes, V is shown with a stave in the promo poster.
I've been staring hard at that promo picture myself and while it does appear to be a thin and cylindrical object in his hands, it still could be a number of other things or maybe not even be a combat weapon at all.

It would be interesting though, to have a main character who doesn't use a sword as his primary fighting style.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I've been staring hard at that promo picture myself and while it does appear to be a thin and cylindrical object in his hands, it still could be a number of other things or maybe not even be a combat weapon at all.

It would be interesting though, to have a main character who doesn't use a sword as his primary fighting style.
yeah I just thought it was a sword but maybe V's a musician?:angel:

UncannyGarlic

While it could be a staff, DMC trends to stylize weapons as larger so it looks rather short and thing. My guess is it's the scabbard of a rapier. If so, it means that V is left handed. If it's viewing the edge of the scabbard, it could even be a katana but I'm skeptical.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Well what if it's some kind of summoning wand.
While it could be a staff, DMC trends to stylize weapons as larger so it looks rather short and thing. My guess is it's the scabbard of a rapier. If so, it means that V is left handed. If it's viewing the edge of the scabbard, it could even be a katana but I'm skeptical.
How about its a summoning wand that could be used as a staff?

UncannyGarlic

I could see that. Through magic it could get staff sized to or act staff sized.

That said, DMC loves swords as the primary weapon for most of it's protagonists and their supporting crew. Lady is the only exception, unless you want to include Gloria's knives. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I want V to use a sword, I just think it falls in line with what they've been doing.

I read the 4chan rumor that V uses summoning, which reminds me of Chaos Legion, even though the description doesn't sound exactly the same. It's a cool idea but I put zero credence in any rumor originating on 4chan.

Personally, I'm still kind of hoping V is a woman, though I doubt it. They had the opportunity to upgrade Lady or Trish to protagonists, but never bothered. Also they've talked a lot about this being the story of the Sons of Sparda, so I'm guessing V will be male.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

Then I can see them going the Nero route and give him only the wand as a weapon, that can either be in "magic mode" where it summons demons, or "combat mode" where it can be used as a melee weapon. We'll see.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I thought the same thing in one piece of the promo art, but it's completely gone in other versions of the art where the characters are closer together. The thin, "wand"-like thing appearing to come out from near V's waist was not part of his character model, but just an outstanding piece of metal in the background or something.

VzHky5g.png

Unless the differences in art just managed to crop out the wand, or...is it still there and I'm just blind in my sick-addled, low-sleep mind...?

Either way, that second promo art gives us a much better look at V's design (tattoos, looks like a dagger or scabbard on his left hip).

Top Bottom