• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Did you laugh Poll

Would you laugh at any of these cosplayers if they causally came into a bar for a drink?

• Total voters

ZeroLove

Now you guys have to remember the cultural differences and mentality of people in the Eastern part of the world contra the Western part. It isn't unusual for people in Japan to dress up in wild colours and costumes when going out, where as for people here in Europe it is a lot more down to earth. I mean people were all crazed about how Lady Gaga is all "wild" and "over-the-top" when it comes to her fashion sense, but comparing to the youth of Japan, that's not unusual.

The same goes for the original Dante. If he wore those clothes as he does in the games on everyday basis, he would be ridiculed in the Western part of the world at least. His sense of fashion is rather flamboyant and unusual for an American, however, the clothes he wears in the games could just be his demon hunting clothes, and when he goes to the bar or out in public, he might have some more regular and more casual clothes.

That is if you don't count the anime as canon where he does indeed walk out in public in those clothes.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Voted no, and that's why:
1. If one of those cosplayers came into a bar, my reaction would be "Cool, Dante cosplayers!"
2. If the true Dante came into a bar, first thing I'd ask would be "Where is your brother dammit!!!". :troll:
3. Seriously, I see people dressed strangely, but I wouldn't outwardly laugh, that's rude. But I admit I would find them funny.
So, if the point you're trying to demonstrate is that people wouldn't normally laugh at Dante, my answer is that maybe they wouldn't do it in the open, but they would probably find him strange.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
What is there to elaborate on? The scenario described by Tameem Antoniades "Dante would be laughed at if he went ito a bar dressed like that" would be the scenario I would be sitting in, should a cosplayer dressed as Dante go to a bar I sat in just to get a drink or something. That's laughable in itself.

Tameem's point is a pretty odd point to make, when you think about it. I mean, I understand what he meant, but Dante is a character. Characters don't need to look realistic or fashionable or anything. It's just as weird as saying people who dressed up as Final Fantasy characters and walked into a bar would get laughed at. Yeah, maybe, but that's the point; characters are characters, not people. They need to stand out somehow, otherwise they wouldn't be characters. It's in the meaning of the word, for JC's sake. Seeing characters in real life is totally different from seeing them in video games, too. They tend not to fit into the real world. And then you still need to remember that if everyone dressed like a character in real life, it would suddenly be far less ridiculous, if ridiculous at all. Just look at Halloween or The Netherlands' Sint Maarten; I don't see kids going ''hoooo, you look ridiculous'' while wearing superman pyjamas themselves.

I guess that's not entirely what this thread's about, but I just wanted to say how I laughed at Tameem's statement.

IncarnatedDemon

Voted no, and that's why:
1. If one of those cosplayers came into a bar, my reaction would be "Cool, Dante cosplayers!"
2. If the true Dante came into a bar, first thing I'd ask would be "Where is your brother dammit!!!". :troll:
3. Seriously, I see people dressed strangely, but I wouldn't outwardly laugh, that's rude. But I admit I would find them funny.
So, if the point you're trying to demonstrate is that people wouldn't normally laugh at Dante, my answer is that maybe they wouldn't do it in the open, but they would probably find him strange.
My point is that he is not laughable because he is in great shape. And his white natural hair is RARE!

How many people in our world can say "Look at my lovely hair"? And seriously Dante's hair isnt ugly.

And 1. of your reasons is exactrly my thought!

Id definetly find him strange looking, but he would look pretty bad ass anyway.

Autumn

Welcome to my world....
I would grin to myself and think how awesome, cosplayers! Then be gutted since there is some sort of convention going on nearby that I didn’t go to. If he was dressed as Dante I would have to offer him a drink.

IncarnatedDemon

Out of curiousity if anyone saw real Dante:
REAL DANTE!!!

What would you do?

I would defintly say hi to him. Right after that i would lie to him and say Mundus owns a company called Capcom in this dimension.

LysseC

My point is that he is not laughable because he is in great shape. And his white natural hair is RARE!

How many people in our world can say "Look at my lovely hair"? And seriously Dante's hair isnt ugly.

And 1. of your reasons is exactrly my thought!

Id definetly find him strange looking, but he would look pretty bad ass anyway.
Well, I agree that his shape is admirable. About his hair... I don't know. They look strange, not necessarily in a bad sense, but strange nontheless, being so similar to an old man's...
Well, let's just put it like this: Dante's looks are strange/particular, in the sense that they are not common. Now, when a person with particular/strange looks walks into a bar, people surely notice him. Then, their reaction can be of admiration or of derision, but that depends on each person's tastes. I personally love Dante's look in DMC1 and DMC2, but I recognize that maybe many people with different tastes could find it laughable.

As for cosplayers, that's an etirely different situation. If you imagine a situation in which there is a Dante cosplayer, you are implicitly imagining that in that situation, the real Dante is a fictional character.
In such a situation, again, we can imagine a cosplayer walking in a bar. People would surely notice him for his strange/particular attire. Some would find them laughable, while others would admire them. I would fit in the second category, but many people I know and respect would fit in the first.

So, to sum it up:
1. this look is noticeable/strange/different/particular.
2. it is left to each person's tastes to like or dislike a noticeable/strange/different/particular look.

Autumn

Welcome to my world....
^
It depends. If it were somehow Dante that popped out from the games into the real world; jump onto him and hold on for as long as I can, which would not be long. Hell, he’d probably knock me out before I reach him.

If he were some guy who looked like that and I had no previous knowledge of the games, I'd giggle behind my cocktail while glancing at him from afar.

IncarnatedDemon

Well, I agree that his shape is admirable. About his hair... I don't know. They look strange, not necessarily in a bad sense, but strange nontheless, being so similar to an old man's...

Let me showing you why your wrong:

Picture of old woman with white hair(click)

Young girl with white hair:
MGNoT.jpg

^ that girls hair is so lovely. And my point is: Dante's hair would look probably as good as her hair.

So taking standpoint in the contrast between that girl and the old woman's white hair: i'd think if Dante was a real person he would have healthy white hair that looks different than a old mans white hair.

LysseC

Let me showing you why your wrong:

Picture of old woman with white hair(click)

Young girl with white hair:

^ that girls hair is so lovely. And my point is: Dante's hair would look probably as good as her hair.

So taking standpoint in the contrast between that girl and the old woman's white hair: i'd think if Dante was a real person he would have healthy white hair that looks different than a old mans white hair.
Meh, you are probably right. Maybe it's just me, I don't see many people with such hair here in Italy... But they would probably be normal, for example, in Northern Europe.

IncarnatedDemon

Meh, you are probably right. Maybe it's just me, I don't see many people with such hair here in Italy... But they would probably be normal, for example, in Northern Europe.
I dont either, but i am just thinking if Dante existed :
1) he wudnt look animish
2) his hair would be pretty natural and nice looking

Some people say "Dante is emo " or "old man hair".
But they dont know what they are saying: Dantes hair is pretty nice and far from a oldmans hair.
How many people can brag about having white hair that looks awesome? Few.
+ Hes not emo, its his natural colour.

LysseC

I dont either, but i am just thinking if Dante existed :
1) he wudnt look animish
2) his hair would be pretty natural and nice looking

Some people say "Dante is emo " or "old man hair".
But they dont know what they are saying: Dantes hair is pretty nice and far from a oldmans hair.
How many people can brag about having white hair that looks awesome? Few.
+ Hes not emo, its his natural colour.

Ok, ok, I surrender about his hair.:p I was just saying that his hair look particular to my eyes, because they are not common where I come from. Just that.;)
And I also already said that not every difference or particularity is necessarily a bad one. Dante's surely isn't.:p

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
What if we didn't know who Classic Dante was, he never existed, and we saw a guy dressed like him walk into a bar?

I try to think of that way, and for me he stands out. Classic Dante doesn't blend in with other people, he looks strange [more with the bare chested one at least, and a little with the DMC1 Dante cosplay where the colors are bright]. I might laugh later if I told someone 'hey i saw his strange guy in the bar today' but I'm not going to chuckle about it when he's standing right there incase he's dangerous and beats the **** out of me.

Different is good, often I love it when I see someone walk passed by me with red or purple hair and going against everything, even to their clothes [in fact I would love for the chance to dye my hair blue.] but the whole 'laughing' being taken as an insult, that's not what Tameem meant. They wanted to design a Dante that blended in, didn't stand out and make you give a second glance. But it's sort of like Gel what said, better words could've been used to explain that, especially in this fandom.

But hair was never a factor, it's always been the clothes since like those pictures show, there are people with white hair. I actually wonder if that's why Dante was designed with white hair to begin with.
MGNoT.jpg

And I really wish I looked that pretty :'(

IncarnatedDemon

Ok, ok, I surrender about his hair.:p I was just saying that his hair look particular to my eyes, because they are not common where I come from. Just that.;)
And I also already said that not every difference or particularity is necessarily a bad one. Dante's surely isn't.:p
Dont worry its cool. As i said, white hair looks weird to me to.
But i rarely see white hair thats natural.

And if that girl in the picture i posted above can have so lovely white hair, then i am sure Dante's hair isn't far from that in terms of how good it looks.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Why would anyone laugh at these people? I think good for them for dressing as a character they like and having the guts to do it proudly in public. I think they all look really good. Sure, it's unusual clothing, but also cool at the same time.

If it was the real Dante, then I'd be stalking him everywhere:p

Besides, laughing at someone for being or looking different is rude and hurtful.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Why would anyone laugh at these people? I think good for them for dressing as a character they like and having the guts to do it proudly in public. I think they all look really good. Sure, it's unusual clothing, but also cool at the same time.

If it was the real Dante, then I'd be stalking him everywhere:p

Besides, laughing at someone for being or looking different is rude and hurtful.

And that stops people? Trust me. some people can be cruel. I got a friend who dyed her hair pink. Couldn't leave the house without getting laughed at.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I'd simply question his terrible fashion sense but if the bar owner takes out a shotgun and points it at Dante's head because he made a move on his daughter, then I'll laugh.

Top Bottom