• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry movie discussion thread

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
This is to discuss the eventual live action movie adaptation and any hopes/fears you have for it.

Personally I rather have a live action tv show set between 3 and 1 detailing Dante's adventures between that period but it is just a pipe dream given budget concerns.

I think changes would have to be made to the DMC mythos in order to make more cohesive and less vague.

Certain questions like how did Sparda and Eva die? How did Dante and Vergil grow up and why did they fall apart? what is the exact timeline and sequence of events in the series? What kind of world is the world of DMC and what country Damte lives in? Etc.

Plus you have to spruce up some of the stories because if 4,2 and the anime are weak by video game standards than they are gonna be weak by movie standards.

So what are your thoughts?

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
NOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

dont tempt hollywood. seriously dont OK this is a terrible idea.

im sorry, but DMC is a mission based hack and slash. that sort of story line does not translate to film. look at any of the resident evil films. not to mention developing the character properly. knowing hollywood theyd just have him make a dreary speach on morality and boom. he wins.

now i know that stuff is all relative. maybe someone somewhere CAN translate the gaes to a good film and come up with a good story. but even the then the film wont work because DMC is filled with gore, violence and destruction. if you put half the violence in it inside a film itd earn an 18/R easily. and no way any studio would do that with a game franchise so theyd tone it down so the film would be a 13/T. not to mention how would they transalte all the amazing stunts, and actions onto a film without making it look stupid.

all this would take money, time and effort. and im sorry but studios are greedy and honestly dont care about source material ever. if they did go through with it we'd end up with some resident evil alone in the dark level crap that would make the anime look like a bloody masterpiece.

Selutu

Son of Death, Bringer of the dead
I don't really like the idea of a DMC movie. There is literally no movie stars I can think of that can actually act out Dante properly..

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
To be fair, DMC isn't as gory as it's contemporaries Bayonetta, GoW or Darksiders.

I agree about finding the perfect actor for Classic Dante/Vergil would be the hard part because everyone else is easy. Even Nero is easy because he is just a schmuck with white hair.

I would just hire Joey ansah of the street fighter web series as casting director because he has a good eye for casting. If he can find the perfect Ryu/Ken he can find Dante

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
After seeing Leon in new RE Retribution movie, I don't want the same joke repeated in the DMC movie!

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
If game would be an movie I would only see one what wasn't too bad in acting or general crap.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Since the movie is apparently going to be based of of DmC casting isn't going to be a problem. NT said that they make the charicters look like the voice actors to make motion capture easier and NT seems to prefer using real actors for there games so there is absolutely no reason not to use the VAs as the actors in the movie and i don't think any of them would refuse the chance to be in a Hollywood movie.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
A Devil May Cry movie could work actually. It all depends on the actors, the special affects, and the time put into making it.

For actors it's not hard to play as characters. In fact, it's rather easy to play Dante in a movie. Take Jack Sparrow from POTC; he's a lot like Dante with his flirtatious nature, bombastic personality, and quick mouth. A person can more then easily copy that as a reference for Dante. Or better yet Tony Stark from Iron Man. Tony's cocky and smart mouthed so the actor can get references on that as well. Plus that actor just has to act really camp and say cheezy stale one liners and he's fine. All the other characters are a breeze.

Vergil: Be serious and a bit emo all the time and walk slowly with a sword in your hand.
Trish: Be sexy yet mysterious.
Lady: Be cool and tough while bullying Dante and kind of acting like a slut.
Nero: Be like every other generic anime teenage rebel with a soft side.
Kyrie: Smile and be a damsial. She's easy to act as.

See what I mean?

As for special affects? Look at the Avengers movie, Those special affects can surpass DMC's so I'm sure they can tone down the affects to appear like DMC games.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
To make a great movie you need great directing, great writing, & great acting.

The only person who can direct a great DMC movie is Micheal Bay.

As for acting....anybody can easily portray Dante's generic character...I can literally name dozens of modern day movie characters that are just as badass as Dante minus spouting cheesy lines.......wait even that too.

788Masri

The only person who can direct a great DMC movie is Micheal Bay.

tumblr_m5201aBGQH1qgwhx7.png

ill asume your joking.......because im not in the mood for micheal bays dmc where dante is an alien and we spend 20 minutes watching lady and trish wahsing a car.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
tumblr_m5201aBGQH1qgwhx7.png

ill asume your joking.......because im not in the mood for micheal bays dmc where dante is an alien and we spend 20 minutes watching lady and trish wahsing a car.

Pssshhh...I'm being serious..don't judge Micheal Bay based off of Transformers. He made plenty of non-alien based movies like Bad Boys, the Rock, & Pearl Harbor.

I'm sure if he stays true to the original lore and concept of DMC he can make a good DMC movie...since DMC is basically like a Micheal Bay film.

"All style no substance"

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Since the movie is apparently going to be based of of DmC casting isn't going to be a problem. NT said that they make the charicters look like the voice actors to make motion capture easier and NT seems to prefer using real actors for there games so there is absolutely no reason not to use the VAs as the actors in the movie and i don't think any of them would refuse the chance to be in a Hollywood movie.

that's one of the advantages of doing the reboot as it seems tailor made for a movie adaptation, for better or for worse.

one of the disadvantages is that it hasn't built a brand name or a fan-base of its own yet or you would just have to make it up as you go along because its only one game. So contuinty is going to be harder to keep unless NT is involved heavily where if you did the old series, you know where to go and you are more self-contained.

Dragonmaster2010- Im not sure Lady is a slut tho.
i was talking more looks than actual skill.

Lets get someone else beside Micheal bay to do it huh.

788Masri

Pssshhh...I'm being serious..don't judge Micheal Bay based off of Transformers. He made plenty of non-alien based movies like Bad Boys, the Rock, & Pearl Harbor.

I'm sure if he stays true to the original lore and concept of DMC he can make a good DMC movie...since DMC is basically like a Micheal Bay film.

"All style no substance"

yeaaaah......and frank miller was once thought of as a genius. artists change. i dont like micheal bays directing style nor do i think he could be trusted with such a difficult project. he messed up tranformers for gods sake how did he do that. its meant to be a film about ROBOTS not some kid trying to bang a girl.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
that's one of the advantages of doing the reboot as it seems tailor made for a movie adaptation, for better or for worse.

one of the disadvantages is that it hasn't built a brand name or a fan-base of its own yet or you would just have to make it up as you go along because its only one game. So contuinty is going to be harder to keep unless NT is involved heavily where if you did the old series, you know where to go and you are more self-contained.

Dragonmaster2010- Im not sure Lady is a slut tho.
i was talking more looks than actual skill.

Lets get someone else beside Micheal bay to do it huh.

Come on DMC is made for a Micheal Bay film. It has the MB quality.

-Over the top action
-Hot chicks and fan service
-EXPLOSIONS
-Stylish and crazy fight sequences
-Dramatic entrances and poses
-Great CGI
-Great Scenery
-Nice designs (sure he made the robots in Transformers look so well realistic and kinda hideous compared to their anime/cartoon/toy counterparts but in fact that is what makes him perfect to design great and demonic/hideous demons of DMC)
-Most of all Micheal Bay as a good sense of humor perfect for DMC (clever, witty, senseless, and at times cheesy)

Negatives
-We might end up getting up stereotypes like in Transformers
-Plot holes(DMC is used to them) or stupid writing

Fine then what about Joss Whedon or Jonathan Liebesman?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

-Over the top action
-EXPLOSIONS
-Great CGI
-Great Scenery
-Nice designs (sure he made the robots in Transformers look so well realistic and kinda hideous compared to their anime/cartoon/toy counterparts but in fact that is what makes him perfect to design great and demonic/hideous demons of DMC)
-Most of all Micheal Bay as a good sense of humor perfect for DMC (clever, witty, senseless, and at times cheesy)

Negatives

Liebesman might be a better choice since he made Wrath of the Titans

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
A Bleach...live...movie?
DoubleFacepalmRickerPicard.jpg

Yup:lol:

I can bare with that news cause I'm not a Bleach fan...I hate Bleach.....but I do think John can actually make a good movie. Bleach won't probably end up like Dragon Ball Evolution....cause that was not just a bad DragonBall movie it was a bad movie in general.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

-Over the top action
-EXPLOSIONS
-Great CGI
-Great Scenery

Negatives

My main thing is that he is a toxic name to fanboys and you would wanna get someone less polarizing.

I don't know if Joss Whedon would because I don't know if he is a fan of DMC in general and i don't see him doing it if he isn't a fan already.

i think he might be more interested in doing his own IP outside of whatever marvel obligations he has.

i dont know the second guy.
Yup:lol:

I can bare with that news cause I'm not a Bleach fan...I hate Bleach.....but I do think John can actually make a good movie. Bleach won't probably end up like Dragon Ball Evolution....cause that was not just a bad DragonBall movie it was a bad movie in general.
Bleach is easier to do than DBZ but main problem is what are you gonna do for the third film because the Aizen Saga is too damn long to condenze into one film.

Best bet is to write a third film that is the aizen saga condenzed and wrapped up and quit while your ahead.

Top Bottom