• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition for Next Gen

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
*Sigh*... only that's not what the debate was about... though I'm sure you would like to think it was some kind of d*ck measuring contest. It was about which of the two (DmC or DMC) people most wanted to see continue.
From what I could tell, everyone was justifying the demand for either DmC or DMC by rudimentary factors like sales, resulting in a long debate about how much each sold, and the circumstances behind each heap of sales.

It's the same conversation that spontaneously erupts on EVERY thread, and honestly, with the confirmation of both these remasters, it's pretty much buried into irrelevance.

As for DMC4 SE, I have to see what new features are being added to it. DmC DE is already confirmed for a buy from me, because it's already boasted exactly what new features it's bringing to the table: new costumes, turbo mode, Vergil Bloody Palace, balanced enemies, mod support, etc.

Other than the game having Japanese voice options and SOMETHING involving Vergil, there aren't a lot of details surrounding DMC4 SE. I'm going to wait and see just what new things Capcom has added to the game before I consider buying it. What I want fixed most is the back-tracking...I doubt they'll make any amendments to the story. I want them to, but I have a bad feeling that Capcom will just be too lazy to do anything like that.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Sorry about that last post/comment btw, I'm getting way too worked up about things now. I'm still kinda angry about that original remark by a different user, and I didn't mean to take it out on you, Wolf. It's just so tiresome... I'm gonna get some sleep and friggin sweat it out. Having to work on stuff on my computer all day didn't help either.
You're right, we should just be happy and worry about whatever stupid plans Capcom might have for Devil May Cry later.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I feel like I still need to point out that the novel (as far as I know) isn't canon. Sure, Bingo wrote it, but it was a while after DMC4 was finished, and he had actually left Capcom.
Right now, it's totally up to Capcom what to make of Vergil and Nero's connection. For all we know, Vergil didn't actually have sex with any prostitute, but had some scientist create Nero from his own DNA or Sparda's somehow. I know, that's all not based on facts, but I'm just saying they can do with it whatever they like. Just because he was in Fortuna at some point doesn't mean he's actually Vergil's father... I mean, according to Capcom, Dante (and therefore Vergil) is still only 30 in DMC4, with Nero being 19.
That said, I do admit there's a chance Capcom screwed up the characters' ages in DMC4... and screwed up the symbolism... or Nero was supposed to be something different in the beginning. But anyway, it would still finally put to rest all the vagueness around Nero.

My only other theory is that Nero is in fact a reincarnation or has a piece of Sparda's soul, which accounts for his heritage. We all keep thinking of "blood of Sparda" as if it means something wholly biological, but it could be just as feasible that a piece of Sparda's soul could affect it because magic :p This accounts for ages, and lets us know that hey, Sparda may have been alive for a little longer than we thought, and he was the original wielder of the Yamato, before Vergil.

The only problem is that they seem to go out of their way to imply that Nero has a connection with Vergil, but eeeeeeeh we'll have to wait and see what happens. Or maybe they should just get me to write it up and put the whole thing to rest.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
My only other theory is that Nero is in fact a reincarnation or has a piece of Sparda's soul, which accounts for his heritage. We all keep thinking of "blood of Sparda" as if it means something wholly biological, but it could be just as feasible that a piece of Sparda's soul could affect it because magic :p This accounts for ages, and lets us know that hey, Sparda may have been alive for a little longer than we thought, and he was the original wielder of the Yamato, before Vergil.

The only problem is that they seem to go out of their way to imply that Nero has a connection with Vergil, but eeeeeeeh we'll have to wait and see what happens. Or maybe they should just get me to write it up and put the whole thing to rest.
I'm pretty sure most of us can come up with more interesting theories than Capcom. What would you do? I'm curious.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
If the age thing hadn't been an issue, I'd be okay with either Dante or Vergil being Nero's father; but since the age thing is an issue, I think the idea that Nero has a fragment of Sparda's soul inside of him is fairly feasible.

I would lean more toward some part of Vergil being in Nero though, just because it's implied they're connected (not just because of what Capcom says, but because of Nero's characteristics).

Perhaps Vergil's DNA was extracted and put into a specifically chosen pregnant woman's womb, fusing with her unborn child? Or perhaps something along the lines of In Vitro?

Either way, I really hope Capcom explains this thoroughly--not half-assed, as they are wont to do. ^^;

lostlook

Almost had a crappy day because of the lack of sleep I got from reading all the buzz surrounding this game. I was gonna skip my workout too until I started thinking about this game again and began yelling, "I NEED MORE POWER!" in my horrible DMC3 Vergil voice lol. The male power fantasy hype is just too real!

Also found this:

It's quite interesting as I've seen many people across the internet state that they believe the Vergil reveal at the end "stole DmC: DE's thunder." Capcom probably should've left that part out and put it in a separate trailer.

Last edited:

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
It's quite interesting as I've seen many people across the internet state that they believe the Vergil reveal at the end "stole DmC: DE's thunder." Capcom probably should've left that part out and put it in a separate trailer.
Capcom could have revealed the DMC4:SE 2 weeks after the DmC: DE in a separate trailer and it still would have stolen all DmCs thunder cause let's be honest, DmC has nothing to hype up the majority of the fanbase with anymore since the game showed up a year ago and a few re balanced mechanics and updated visuals is nothing to get uber hyped about.

DmC: DE is nothing more than a simple re release of a recently released game in terms of hype, so it's gonna be overshadowed by DMC4:SE which hasn't been seen in 6 years when it gets a re-release with something new. Also don't forget that DmC: DE has already shown off everything it's releasing with so there's no reason for it to stay in the news, but DMC4:SE has only revealed that Vergil is back and Capcom has promised to reveal more about it in the future so of course DMC4:SE is gonna stay in the spotlight.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
DMC4:SE has only revealed that Vergil is back and Capcom has promised to reveal more about it in the future so of course DMC4:SE is gonna stay in the spotlight.
Well, let's see if it is actually worthy of any spotlight instead of just being Vergil shoehorned in to the same poop that came out back in 2008. Don't get your hopes up to high, because then you won't be so disappointed if it doesn't live up to better expectations.

I'm trying to be at least cautiously optimistic about the whole thing.

If the age thing hadn't been an issue, I'd be okay with either Dante or Vergil being Nero's father; but since the age thing is an issue, I think the idea that Nero has a fragment of Sparda's soul inside of him is fairly feasible.

I would lean more toward some part of Vergil being in Nero though, just because it's implied they're connected (not just because of what Capcom says, but because of Nero's characteristics).

Perhaps Vergil's DNA was extracted and put into a specifically chosen pregnant woman's womb, fusing with her unborn child? Or perhaps something along the lines of In Vitro?

Either way, I really hope Capcom explains this thoroughly--not half-assed, as they are wont to do. ^^;
I always thought of some reincarnation of Sparda. Makes more sense than some biological son popped out of Capcom's butt.

That would still be kinda lame though. Connecting anything and everything back to Sparda doesn't really do the franchise any favors and just makes the whole universe feel small. Like anything worth while or important only has something to do with Sparda who according to the game is the most important thing that ever lived.

DmC was kinda the first game in the series that seemed to focus solely on Dante and HIS journey instead of living in the shadow of the Sparda lineage.

Last edited by a moderator:

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I been well inactive in this matter but well Im also hyped. I hope that this gets PC version like DMC 3 SE as i played that one mostly using Vergil when got to unlock him, but well this can be hoping for now. :)

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Well, let's see if it is actually worthy of any spotlight instead of just being Vergil shoehorned in to the same poop that came out back in 2008. Don't get your hopes up to high, because then you won't be so disappointed if it doesn't live up to better expectations.

I'm trying to be at least cautiously optimistic about the whole thing.
It's the return of the highly demanded good Devil May Cry series with the return of the badass Vergil, that vs a remastering of a dumbed down reboot for the spotlight is a no contest.

ChaserTech

Capcom could have revealed the DMC4:SE 2 weeks after the DmC: DE in a separate trailer and it still would have stolen all DmCs thunder cause let's be honest, DmC has nothing to hype up the majority of the fanbase with anymore since the game showed up a year ago and a few re balanced mechanics and updated visuals is nothing to get uber hyped about.

DmC: DE is nothing more than a simple re release of a recently released game in terms of hype, so it's gonna be overshadowed by DMC4:SE which hasn't been seen in 6 years when it gets a re-release with something new. Also don't forget that DmC: DE has already shown off everything it's releasing with so there's no reason for it to stay in the news, but DMC4:SE has only revealed that Vergil is back and Capcom has promised to reveal more about it in the future so of course DMC4:SE is gonna stay in the spotlight.

I agree with this.
The main reason why DMC4:SE is hyped up so much is because we might be getting a good amount new content from a game that pretty much had a lot of potential. Possibly a new character as well. The only thing that's kept me playing DMC4 for years on in was specifically the combat system.
Hell people would probably buy it if Vergil was just a playable character. Just like with what happened with DMC3:SE except new costumes and additional modes were added in the process. I'm just excited since we maybe getting things that have a lot of replay value from a gameplay standpoint. (mainly a new character)

With DmC: DE, there's not much new content other than gameplay tweaks and different modes with added costumes. I could see if more weapons/characters were introduced, but it's not happening as of now (unless they plan on revealing more in the future). Plus, people just want Capcom to focus on DMC rather than DmC which is why people are getting really excited over it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@TWOxACROSS

To answer your question about what my problem is with 4 since I've mentioned that DMC4 was my least favorite game, next to DMC2, I guess.

Well, aside from the common complains, the backtracking, the story, and the characters, to start with I kinda have the same issues with DMC4 than I do with DmC. You probably remember that a lot of what was said about DmC's reason for been were also the same reasons for DMC4's choices. It started off with the 'We want to make a DMC game that everyone will like/will have western appeal,' and then I remember talk of wanting the game to sell super well, better than the previous games. A lot of what was said during development of DMC4 was repeated during DmC's and I thought that was a poor way to go about it with DMC4 and with DmC nor did I like the actual design choices they made because of said logic and values. Granted, I didn't like DmC off the bat and it took me a while to dislike DMC4's but ultimately I did admit to myself that I dislike those aspects of the games.

Now, for the things ones that are unique to DMC4. The first and possibly the thing I am most crossed with is the decision to make this game 'not scary so as to not frighten the women.' First of all women and horror are not like oil and water, quite the opposite, in fact, as there has been a surge of horror directors who happen to be women, and I happen to know more than a few who like a scare as much as any man, otherwise lines for the theatres to any horror movie would be devoid of women and that is just not the case. More important than that, though, is the actual decision to remove horror elements, even more than for whose sake/demographic it was done so for. Devil May Cry was born off horror survival and that was a huge part of what made DMC1 such an experience for me, what's give it it's lasting appeal when the gameplay has aged less than graciously. It already was heavily lacking from every title after but atleast they remember that you were fighting demons but in DMC4 there is nothing about those things that I would ever really call threatening or demonic. Yeah, Berial was impressive and very imposing but that's just about it.

Some smaller but still crucial aspects are the for example the architecture, the music, the designs, how tank-like Dante is, Nero's anemic gameplay, and a few other irks.

The architecture is too pretty, that's about it. Baroque, I think. The first few games had far more interesting architecture, from DMC1's mix of gothic, art nouveau, and Spanish, with Mexican Baroque for the book, to DMC2's modern and old European, and DMC3's fantasy and gothic designs, DMC4's just looks too clean and pretty. Yeah, Fortuna isn't an ancient, long abandoned city so for it to look as decayed or menacing as the other games but the old English/French look is just not much for ambiance. Yeah, great to visit but not that interesting for fighting the hordes of hell.

I can't be the only one annoyed with the music. The constant play of the battle themes, how there is only one per character and sometimes all you hear is the start because some fights are so short and unlike DMC1 and 3 and Bayonetta the song starts over if there is any small gap between fights rather than it continuing if the gap between fights is small enough so it would just fade back up where it ended. It gets on my nerves after only a little bit. Those intros just kill me now.

I don't like Dante's design, nor Angus', or Gloria's, or Lady's. The rest I can live with, Trish's doesn't really appeal to me, I rather get a more diverse one rather than a small alteration to the original but I'll live. Dante's face just doesn't really strike me as Dante's, and the outfit is kinda goofy. In 2 he looked bad ass, in 3 he looked like a rock star, and 1 doesn't really stick out for me but it worked well. Here, thought, I just can't look at him and think to myself that it's even an outfit that exists in the same universe as the other 3. Agnus is not interesting to me and looks like a cartoon character that shouldn't be real in the same reality as characters from 1-3. Gloria is just dressed so impractically and rather bizarrely; All that talk of Dante not been able to walk into a bar dressed like that but what about his one? I guess I shouldn't say that, I've seen some cosplayers really pulling it off. Lady is also really dressed impractically. Yeah, she's fill out in all the right places and I guess there's no harm in showing off if you got the goods but... lord.

Dante feels so heavy. He's so slow compared to DMC3 and not as animated. Even in the cutscenes he's so heavy and sluggish, like he's too sleepy to get out of the chair, where in DMC1 and 3 he was active and energetic, always pumped and ready to act. I can't use all the fancy tricks like JC'ing, or inertia, and all that jazz, I don't have the time to go on practising so as sure as I am that all that versatility makes him top notch I can't access it and so it's non existent for me and that means that he's heavy and dull compared to previous versions.

As for Nero been anemic, it's the same one other's have. Nero has so little in the way of weapon variety. I really would like more, even a glove to bitch slap and start duels with would work.

Everything else is small. The lock on here bugs me, it's not as competent as the ones in the previous games. I hate the big scarecrows and how the are so gelatinous when you hit them, there is no impact when you strike them. It feels like the enemies were all design to fight Nero and his arm so Dante often feels ill equipped when having to fight some of them. They removed so many moves from Dante in the transition from 3 to 4, like wall running. While I appreciate call backs to earlier DMC games I didn't really find the combos for Gilgamesh that interesting and would've prefered new combo animations instead. I don't mind changing weapons in the pause menu, there is no need to limit how many weapons Dante will get just because you can't access them all on the fly.

There's more but sufficient to say the little things pile up and because of the big things it gets harder to ignore them. I have a similar set of complaints for DmC but that's for another section and it's probably just as long winded. Bottom line I have a lot of complains about DMC4, big and small.

Sorry you asked?

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It's the return of the highly demanded good Devil May Cry
I must have missed the part where the original series somehow disappeared. My Devil May Cry games didn't grow legs and walk off when the reboot happened. They still happily sit on my shelf, never collecting dust.

If the DMC 4:SE really doesn't put forth any effort to actually improve on the game, then that would be really freaking sad. You can be a fan of this game, but considering how much work was put in to the DmC Definitive Edition (and that's still a well made game in its own right and a fun Devil May Cry) if this game doesn't get even half that treatment, then I don't see how anyone would walk away from this not being disappointed.

I hated DMC 4 for the most part, but I did enjoy the fighting. Which is why, with that game I realize I just less enjoyed like the previous ones, and just grudgingly accepted because the fighting was fun at times. But when I spent more and more time with it knowing how little I replayed that game compared to the rest, then you know it just isn't as good.

With every other Devil May Cry, I've replayed them in their entirety. I even went through DMC 2 at least twice before I just gave up on how underwhelming it felt. It's not the unplayable mess the fandom makes it out to be, it's just not as cool as its predecessor.

DMC 4 I went through about once and then spent hours just in Bloody Palace. I payed the full game price for freaking Bloody Palace. BS.

I want to like DMC 4 because I see some Devil May Cry fun I love in there. They can fix some of its glaring issues and maybe garner my attention towards DMC 4 once again. If they just release the same crap with Vergil taped on, then that will be just flat out BS.

I can buy DMC 4 for about $7 at Gamestop, and even less somewhere online. They need to make a rebuy worth it. I'm willing to be cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
One thing just came to my mind... some time ago, I read an interview with Dan Southworth from last year, or maybe mid-2014, I don't remember (I'll try to find it again)... basically the interviewer asked him what plans he had for the future and he said he was gonna work on something he couldn't talk about.
Maybe that something was Vergil's role in DMC4: SE?

incneet

I'll show how to use the power!!!
Are next gen consoles strong enough to run Legendary Dark Knight mode? If so, that would be pretty damn awesome to have in the SE version.
i hope put more difficult like God Must Die, you can see this in Spoiler AL and new taunts (spoiler al too).

Top Bottom