• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante's Age (Yes, Another One)

DanteTheJester

That devil hunting douche who married a pizza.
No, it doesn't seem like that to me, aside from his older look in 4.

As for personality, let's say DMC2 takes place before 4, and hence the timeline is DMC3, 1, 2, 4.
That would be really odd. I mean, Dante would go from lightherted (3 and 1) to grumpy (2), to lighthearted again (4)?

Yeah it doesn't make more sense than 2 being set after 4. In fact, as I said, regardless of Capcom initial intention, placing 2 after the other 3, where he's more joking persona, allows them to come up (one day) with the explanation that some sort of trauma must have happened between 4 and 2 to turn him into the silent guy he is there.

Oh and Vergil's scenes in DMC4 SE are confirmed to be set before DMC3.

Well first of all He was kind of grumpy in 1. So it's not a long shot to say he got a bit more grumpy in 2. Think of it like this timeline wise.

3: He's a kid. Just like some rebellious punk who's ALWAYS got an attitude of immaturity but spunk and a fast and decent mouth. Plus he seems to enjoy his brothers company in a weird and twisted way.

1: He seems to be less of a mouth but starts growing grumpy due to situations.

2: Similar. He probably doesn't like it when the WHOLE WORLD IS RIDING SOLELY ON HIS SHOULDERs.

4: Since it's not just him he feels he can kick it back a little better. And he's probably grown his own mentally implemented methods of just staying chill and fun. He's not as corny but when presented with an opportune moment to just **** on his opponent and mock em, he will. As you grow older you find ways to maintain your own cheer while keeping a level head.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well first of all He was kind of grumpy in 1. So it's not a long shot to say he got a bit more grumpy in 2. Think of it like this timeline wise.

3: He's a kid. Just like some rebellious punk who's ALWAYS got an attitude of immaturity but spunk and a fast and decent mouth. Plus he seems to enjoy his brothers company in a weird and twisted way.

1: He seems to be less of a mouth but starts growing grumpy due to situations.

2: Similar. He probably doesn't like it when the WHOLE WORLD IS RIDING SOLELY ON HIS SHOULDERs.

4: Since it's not just him he feels he can kick it back a little better. And he's probably grown his own mentally implemented methods of just staying chill and fun. He's not as corny but when presented with an opportune moment to just **** on his opponent and mock em, he will. As you grow older you find ways to maintain your own cheer while keeping a level head.

Seems kinda forced to me, and I'd argue the premise, but whatever. Think what you want, pal. No fan discussion is gonna change the actual timeline anyway, so...

DanteTheJester

Seems kinda forced to me, and I'd argue the premise, but whatever. Think what you want, pal. No fan discussion is gonna change the actual timeline anyway, so...
Doesn't mean anyone KNOWS what the timeline is until someone comes out with the most irrefutable proof. Like a twitter comment owned by the guy who makes the timelines saying 2 is AFTER 4.

DanteTheJester

Oh I see. You're in denial. Can't help with that, sadly.
Or you don't know how sources work. One source had to have another source. And so forth and so forth. There's no proof aside from digging so deep for info, that nobody's like us on the internet wouldn't have, that is literally word of god on the creators parts.

No such thing as one source that ends all source that a bunch of DMC weebs like us would be able to get our hands on. So there's really no such thing as irrefutable proof other than word of god.

Viper

Premium
Doesn't mean anyone KNOWS what the timeline is until someone comes out with the most irrefutable proof. Like a twitter comment owned by the guy who makes the timelines saying 2 is AFTER 4.
link to wiki blog

If you scroll a little lower, you'll find info that Kobayashi stated in an interview given to Game Informer in 2007 that the order is 3-1-4-2. There is also a link to another interview with Kobayashi, where he says games go 3-1-4, but I don't see him mentioning 2, though it's implied that it comes after 4, since he said 4 comes after 1.
Also, the big, juicy artbook everyone loves is called Devil May Cry 3142 Graphic Arts. Gee, I wonder why?

DanteTheJester

Like I said. I prefer to believe something with a more direct confirmation. There's been creators who admitted stuff on Twitter or even on video interviews. Remember this. A magazine is not written directly by the creators most of the time. They usually don't write their own. Akira Toriyama did for the Daizenshuu guidebooks on Dbz apparently. But that's debatable on whether that's the standard. Anyone can write an article and base it off of presumptions without direct confirmation.

So in the end, a magazine, won't cut it for me. I'd rather just see if you have anything more direct. Otherwise I'm just gonna have to not believe it without it.

Hell I even made a wiki page on my own user profile their. Complete with a backstory and abilities. There's no real direct standard for those.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
link to wiki blog

If you scroll a little lower, you'll find info that Kobayashi stated in an interview given to Game Informer in 2007 that the order is 3-1-4-2. There is also a link to another interview with Kobayashi, where he says games go 3-1-4, but I don't see him mentioning 2, though it's implied that it comes after 4, since he said 4 comes after 1.
Also, the big, juicy artbook everyone loves is called Devil May Cry 3142 Graphic Arts. Gee, I wonder why?

Exactly.

You beat me with time xD

Viper

Premium
Like I said. I prefer to believe something with a more direct confirmation. There's been creators who admitted stuff on Twitter or even on video interviews. Remember this. A magazine is not written directly by the creators most of the time. They usually don't write their own. Akira Toriyama did for the Daizenshuu guidebooks on Dbz apparently. But that's debatable on whether that's the standard. Anyone can write an article and base it off of presumptions without direct confirmation.

So in the end, a magazine, won't cut it for me. I'd rather just see if you have anything more direct. Otherwise I'm just gonna have to not believe it without it.

Hell I even made a wiki page on my own user profile their. Complete with a backstory and abilities. There's no real direct standard for those.
Holy panties of Mundus, I thought I was stubborn, but you take it to whole other level. O.O
Interviews are different from regular articles since they usually get looked over and approved by the one that was interviewed. And there were two interviews I gave you that said the same thing. Why on earth would they entirely make up a statement where Kobayashi explains the order of the games is 3-1-4-2? Why would they name the artbook "3142"?
How direct would it have to be till you accept it, should I send Itsuno, Kobayashi or someone else from the team to your house?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Holy panties of Mundus

:jawdrop:

rofl_seal.jpg

Sorry but you cracked me up with that one.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Before you guys go and take this any further. Remember this...

...Don't take it any further.

There's no point in arguing if 2 comes after 4. Believe it or don't believe it. Don't argue over it. It's not a huge deal. This thread is to do with Dante's age, not the order of the timeline.

So for the billionth time I'm going to say it again. Stop going off-topic by turning one topic into a completely different discussion. It doesn't belong here. The arguing and the discussion. Drop the arguing, take the discussion somewhere else.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
How are those two points not related with one another?

Because it doesn't matter what the order of the timeline is technically if Dante is at a different age in each game. Here we're trying to focus on what age Dante is throughout the games, anime, manga etc It's not suppose to completely focus on the order of the games like you guys were doing. So I'm asking you to forget about it.

Okay, he might not believe 2 is set after 4. Whatever, let him go with what he wants. Trying to attack him etc just for that is pointless. Some people will go with what they think. It's not worth trying to argue about it.

It's better if we move on and try to focus more on establishing those ages.

DanteTheJester

Holy panties of Mundus, I thought I was stubborn, but you take it to whole other level. O.O
Interviews are different from regular articles since they usually get looked over and approved by the one that was interviewed. And there were two interviews I gave you that said the same thing. Why on earth would they entirely make up a statement where Kobayashi explains the order of the games is 3-1-4-2? Why would they name the artbook "3142"?
How direct would it have to be till you accept it, should I send Itsuno, Kobayashi or someone else from the team to your house?
How bout u just send a Twitter comment? Articles are still called articles in magazines. And they have lied before. Otherwise any Feminist magazine that was "looked" over talking about male rape and testosterone is 100% accurate in saying that science proves men are all rapists if they even so much as have PIV because of testosterone.

Nothing is sacred. And nothing other than word of mouth works in this as undeniable proof. Interviews have been faked before. And some people don't care to takt the time to say they didn't when they can just get what's neccessary done. It's not anyone elses choice whether it's undeniable or not anyways what you said. Because it's not direct from the creators mouth. Nor is it provable until you dig even deeper to find the very first original source which would be word of the creator. And that's not something a bunch of, and I quote, DMC weebs like us can get our hands on. We're not that "special" that our teachers told us we are. Those trophies of participation don't dictate our capabilities.

Now if you'd like, I'd prefer YOU accept what I have said and move on. I know you more than likely won't have what I'd be hoping for. So don't try to find what you won't find.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
2dme4r4.gif

That's not how it works, dude.
Don't waste time replying, Viper. You're not gonna change his mind, no matter how reasonable your reasoning can be.

@The 4th Snake
So, based on the info you've been collecting, can you give a roundup of Dante's ages throughout the series?

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
Well, as far as I can tell...

The official timeline is: Eva's DeathMangaDMC3DMC1AnimeDMC4Novel 2DMC2

•Arkham's story about a woman who was murdered 10 years prior to the manga, along with the two flashbacks in the manga, suggest that Eva died 10 years before that.
•The manga is a year before DMC3, going off one of Dante's comments in the game.
•Dante is a teen in DMC3. Late teens from the look of him.
•Trish states that Dante "lost a mother and a brother to evil 20 years ago" in DMC1. Trish could well be rounding up or down, placing it anywhere between 17 and 22. But it's equally likely that actually IS 20 as it is any other number. Plus, the idea of Mundus creating a demon to look like Eva to manipulate Dante on the 20th anniversary of her death sounds like something he might do. Possibly a stretch, but since 20 is the number we're given, I'm inclined to say it's 20, placing this 9 years after DMC3. He is also "about Cobra's age", which is 29.

•Assuming that Vergil is Nero's father (that's the timeframe they originally planned the game with), Nero was conceived during Vergil's lifetime. Maybe not born during it as he could have been conceived less than 9 months before DMC3. Since Vergil would presumably spend more time with Arkham as their plan grew closer to fruition, my guess is that Vergil visited Fortuna shortly after first meeting Arkham in the manga, possibly at Arkham's suggestion (echoing Arkham's daughter telling Vergil's brother about Fortuna). If Nero is born close to DMC3, and is DMC3 Dante's age during DMC4, then DMC4 Dante is double that age. This means DMC3 has to be old enough for DMC4 Dante to be "nearly 40" (between 37 and 39).
•The anime is some time between DMC1 and DMC4. The DMC1 outfit suggests it's closer to DMC1 than DMC4. Trish has had enough time to get sick of Dante and leave, so I'd say at least a year since DMC1. Lady also needs time to fill out to her DMC4 proportions.
•The second novel's epilogue leads directly into DMC2, while also stating that "several months" have passed since the main story of the novel.
•DMC2 is set "far after DMC4" according to Kobayashi.

Eva's Death - +10 - Manga - +1 - DMC3 - 9 - DMC1 - +? - Anime - +? - DMC4 - +? - Novel 2 - +>1 - DMC2

With that rough timeframe, we now have to work out the ages of the characters.

•DMC3 Dante is a teen as stated previously. Assuming Vergil did indeed sleep with a prostitute to produce Nero, I'm sure Capcom would want to avoid any unfortunate implications, and with their intense desire to appeal to the American market, I would guess they would want Vergil to be an adult in the eyes of Americans. All U.S. states set age of consent to 16-18, so 18 seems a good call, since it also allows Dante and Vergil to still be teens in DMC at 19, and few places if any set age of consent above 18. This is important because if the twins were Japanese, one could argue cultural differences. They are not, and are assumed to be American, so following American age of consent is a good idea.
•Assuming these ages hold true, using what we have so far, we now have:
Eva's Death - 8
Manga - 18
DMC3 - 19
DMC1 - 28
DMC4 - 38
•This gives us a 10 year gap between DMC1 and DMC4. Using my previous logic, the anime presumably falls within the first five years of that decade, but at least 1 year after DMC1. Since Lady also needs time to fill out, it probably doesn't take place close to the middle of the decade. Given the notable difference in Lady's appearance, I'm willing to place the anime at 1-2 years after DMC1.
•"Several months" doesn't suggest much time has passed, so Dante is probably the same age in both.
•Finally, all we know for DMC2 is that it's "far after" DMC4. But look back over the ages so far. Notice a pattern? Something notable occurs every time the last digit of Dante's age is 8. If this pattern holds, Dante in DMC2 could well be 48 years old.

So with that, my final conclusion is this:
Eva's Death - 8
Manga - 18
DMC3 - 19
DMC1 - 28
Anime - 29/30
DMC4 - 38
Novel - 48
DMC2 - 48

I've had this timeline mapped out in my mind for a while now, but I've yet to see anything that contradicts this. Does anyone have anything to add or dispute with this (the order of events doesn't count).

DanteTheJester

Saying that's not how it works only shows you inability to accept anything. Now just move on and tuck in your pride.

As far as the age goes, it all depends on how you look at it. And if these ages are all theories, then almost anything could work. Someone had a theory where Dante was in his mid 50's in 2. Even though it doesn't seem like it would be that much after 1 if Trish isn't around. Considering she seemed to be fed up with him and Lady only seems to trouble him at certain moments. So I don't think he'd be that young in 1.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well, as far as I can tell...

The official timeline is: Eva's DeathMangaDMC3DMC1AnimeDMC4Novel 2DMC2

•Arkham's story about a woman who was murdered 10 years prior to the manga, along with the two flashbacks in the manga, suggest that Eva died 10 years before that.
•The manga is a year before DMC3, going off one of Dante's comments in the game.
•Dante is a teen in DMC3. Late teens from the look of him.
•Trish states that Dante "lost a mother and a brother to evil 20 years ago" in DMC1. Trish could well be rounding up or down, placing it anywhere between 17 and 22. But it's equally likely that actually IS 20 as it is any other number. Plus, the idea of Mundus creating a demon to look like Eva to manipulate Dante on the 20th anniversary of her death sounds like something he might do. Possibly a stretch, but since 20 is the number we're given, I'm inclined to say it's 20, placing this 9 years after DMC3. He is also "about Cobra's age", which is 29.

•Assuming that Vergil is Nero's father (that's the timeframe they originally planned the game with), Nero was conceived during Vergil's lifetime. Maybe not born during it as he could have been conceived less than 9 months before DMC3. Since Vergil would presumably spend more time with Arkham as their plan grew closer to fruition, my guess is that Vergil visited Fortuna shortly after first meeting Arkham in the manga, possibly at Arkham's suggestion (echoing Arkham's daughter telling Vergil's brother about Fortuna). If Nero is born close to DMC3, and is DMC3 Dante's age during DMC4, then DMC4 Dante is double that age. This means DMC3 has to be old enough for DMC4 Dante to be "nearly 40" (between 37 and 39).
•The anime is some time between DMC1 and DMC4. The DMC1 outfit suggests it's closer to DMC1 than DMC4. Trish has had enough time to get sick of Dante and leave, so I'd say at least a year since DMC1. Lady also needs time to fill out to her DMC4 proportions.
•The second novel's epilogue leads directly into DMC2, while also stating that "several months" have passed since the main story of the novel.
•DMC2 is set "far after DMC4" according to Kobayashi.

Eva's Death - +10 - Manga - +1 - DMC3 - 9 - DMC1 - +? - Anime - +? - DMC4 - +? - Novel 2 - +>1 - DMC2

With that rough timeframe, we now have to work out the ages of the characters.

•DMC3 Dante is a teen as stated previously. Assuming Vergil did indeed sleep with a prostitute to produce Nero, I'm sure Capcom would want to avoid any unfortunate implications, and with their intense desire to appeal to the American market, I would guess they would want Vergil to be an adult in the eyes of Americans. All U.S. states set age of consent to 16-18, so 18 seems a good call, since it also allows Dante and Vergil to still be teens in DMC at 19, and few places if any set age of consent above 18. This is important because if the twins were Japanese, one could argue cultural differences. They are not, and are assumed to be American, so following American age of consent is a good idea.
•Assuming these ages hold true, using what we have so far, we now have:
Eva's Death - 8
Manga - 18
DMC3 - 19
DMC1 - 28
DMC4 - 38
•This gives us a 10 year gap between DMC1 and DMC4. Using my previous logic, the anime presumably falls within the first five years of that decade, but at least 1 year after DMC1. Since Lady also needs time to fill out, it probably doesn't take place close to the middle of the decade. Given the notable difference in Lady's appearance, I'm willing to place the anime at 1-2 years after DMC1.
•"Several months" doesn't suggest much time has passed, so Dante is probably the same age in both.
•Finally, all we know for DMC2 is that it's "far after" DMC4. But look back over the ages so far. Notice a pattern? Something notable occurs every time the last digit of Dante's age is 8. If this pattern holds, Dante in DMC2 could well be 48 years old.

So with that, my final conclusion is this:
Eva's Death - 8
Manga - 18
DMC3 - 19
DMC1 - 28
Anime - 29/30
DMC4 - 38
Novel - 48
DMC2 - 48

I've had this timeline mapped out in my mind for a while now, but I've yet to see anything that contradicts this. Does anyone have anything to add or dispute with this (the order of events doesn't count).

Thx mate.

Kurisu

Bunny mom
I heard in one interview in a Comicon (or something like that) that Capcom said to Reuben Langdon and Johnny Yong Bosch (Dante's and Nero's voice actors and motion capture actors) that DMC 2 didn't exist anymore, not sure why.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I heard in one interview in a Comicon (or something like that) that Capcom said to Reuben Langdon and Johnny Yong Bosch (Dante's and Nero's voice actors and motion capture actors) that DMC 2 didn't exist anymore, not sure why.

Yes I saw that video too, but they just said that Capcom tends to ignore DMC2, not that it's been erased from timeline.

Top Bottom