• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante's Age (Yes, Another One)

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
I'm aware that there are tons of these thread across the web, but I've never seen one where people can provide sources for their claims about developer interviews and such. I've heard that the devs have made claims of Dante's age in 3 and Nero's in 4 but I've never seen any of these interviews myself. Can anyone help out here?

What we have so far:

Eva's Death • Manga • DMC3 • DMC1 • Anime • DMC4 • Novel 2 • DMC2

Eva's Death:
•Arkham mentions a woman being murdered 10 years prior to the manga and Vergil has a flashback of a burning house, suggesting Arkham was talking about Eva. Dante's flashback to Eva's death lacks Vergil, further suggesting this. [Devil May Cry 3: Code 2]

Devil May Cry 3:
•A year has passed since Code 1. [Dante's statement in Mission 2]
•Dante is in his teens. [Hiroyuki Kobayashi interview. Game Informer magazine, October 2007]
•Dante is shown drinking tomato juice in the manga, because alcohol would be inappropriate as Japanese drinking age is 20. [Some Japanese fellows]

Devil May Cry:
•Dante is about the age of Cobra, who is 29 at the series' start. [Hideki Kamiya's Twitter]
•Eva died about 20 years prior. ["You're the man who lost a mother and a brother to evil twenty years ago." - Trish]

Devil May Cry: The Animated Series
•Closer to 1 than 4, since Dante wears his DMC1 outfit.
•Lady's proportions matching her DMC3 counterpart instead of her larger buttocks and breasts from DMC4 suggest a number of years between the anime and DMC4.
•Enough time has passed for Trish to get fed up with Dante and leave.

Devil May Cry 4:
•Nero is the age of DMC3 Dante. [Game Informer October 2007]
•Dante is in his 30s. [Hiroyuki Kobayashi interview. Game Informer magazine, October 2007]
•Dante is nearly 40. [PSM3 Magazine Janurary 2007]
•Nero being Vergil's son (or at least intended to be) means Nero was conceived during Vergil's lifetime, some time before DMC3.

Devil May Cry 2:
•DMC2 novel's epilogue occures "several months" after the main story. ["Several months had passed since the incident with Chen and the Beastheads."]
•Novel Epilogue leads directly into the game.

Eva's Death
- +10 - Manga - +1 - DMC3 - +? - DMC1 - +? (ED+20) - DMC:TAS - +? - DMC4 - +? - Novel 2 - +>1 - DMC2

Info I'm less inclined to agree with:
DMC4 Lady is 10 years older than DMC3 Lady - The timeline simply does not add up if Dante goes from his teens to his late 30s in the same timeframe.
Nero is 15-16 (taking 9 month pregnancy into account) - Since Nero was conceived during Vergil's lifetime (pre-DMC3) and Nero is DMC3 Dante's age, DMC4 Dante should be approximately double Nero's age. 30-32 does not fit with the "near 40" comment, and a theoretically underage Vergil's partner being a prostitute is very squicky.

Eva's Death - 8
Manga - 18
DMC3 - 19
DMC1 - 28
Anime - 29/30
DMC4 - 38
Novel - 48
DMC2 - 48

Last edited by a moderator:

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Friend, unfortunately I've been searching for them too, but without success. I had seen those interviews with my own eyes, but now it seems all they went 404.

Viper

Premium
Well, the only absolutely certain thing is that in DMC1 Dante was older than 20 and he lost his mother at an age that looks to be around 10 years, maybe a bit younger. For anything else there were just random statements in various interviews none of us knew it would be good to save at the time, and some simple math done by fans.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
For the most part I use the games as the knowledge of their rage.

DMC3: around 20 or 22.
DMC1: 28
DMC4: early to middle 30's
DMC2: around 40's or 50's.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
We don't have exact numbers.

Kamiya says "his Dante" is similar in age to Cobra.

Dev for DMC4 says he's in his thirties and they say that DMC3 is just young.

Gel

Premium
We don't have exact numbers.

Kamiya says "his Dante" is similar in age to Cobra.

Dev for DMC4 says he's in his thirties and they say that DMC3 is just young.

Yeah, Cobra was 29 years old. Itsuno, in a interview , said Dante was 19 in DMC3. Kobayashi said Dante was in his 30's, but other interview put Dante near his forties.

Viper

Premium
*blink blink* To me Dante in DMC2 looks like a normal man in 40-50 age range. But then again, I might be comparing him to my father, who didn't really start to get obvious signs of aging until late 50's.

Gel

Premium
Games and DMC4 novel confirm Dante ages like a normal human man.In this case a guy in his tip top condition.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Regeneration like his wpuld stop him from getting old once he reaches a certain point , look up type 3 immortality too

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
True ha but him and vergil are down on a list somewhere for type 3 immortality based on vergil being cut through or in half by rebellion and instantly regenerating from it , but hey capcom are kinda clueless sometimes lol

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
-Dante supposedly older in DMC2
-Actually looks slimmer, younger, and more youthful than the the broad and muscular Dante with the thicker features in DMC4

That consistency, amirite? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom