• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante May Not Be Human

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
He has three different versions of himself at the age of 28: DMC 3's DMC 1 costume (him at the start of his business), DMC 1, and Anime. All three of them have different facial features.
Well guess Lara is time lord than. :p http://31.media.tumblr.com/fd24d48d46393d4c187dc249dfbd9b3b/tumblr_n8pfc8j5Ta1tgl103o1_1280.jpg

And I'll repeat: "I know about the background stuff." That still doesn't give an in- game reason though. And I would imagine having your skull opened up is a far more painful injury than a stab in the stomach.
But Claire is actually immune to pain. Any person cutting it's own finger gonna faint from shock. So there is no excuse

He fell unconscious then woke back up (he twitches right before he gets up). Otherwise why would he be so dramatic about falling backwards?
Well he didn't had his demonic abilities, so he wakes up when his devil trigger kicks in.

Sunaka Marién

He has three different versions of himself at the age of 28: DMC 3's DMC 1 costume (him at the start of his business), DMC 1, and Anime. All three of them have different facial features.
Hm, I don't think it was ever explicitly stated that he opened his business when he was 28, so that scene at the end of DMC3 could take place only a couple of month later, maybe a year after DMC3 or anytime else. And considering that he already wanted to open a shop at the beginning of DMC3, it'd be kinda illogical for him to wait about another 10 years until he finally opens his shop.
So I'd say that this scene was meant to play just shortly after DMC3, meaning that there is no contradiction to him still having his DMC3 face.

The anime should be a non-issue, because his face is similar enough to what it is in the games, and well, because it is an anime. I mean, you wouldn't claim that Dean Winchester for example has the ability to change his face just because he looks different as an anime character.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
And Claire and Dante are two different cases. One survived a nuclear blast and the other fainted when his brother stabbed him in the stomach.

Yamato was the sword used by sparda to cleave an entire dimension in half, separating the two parts into the human and demon worlds respectively. Getting stabbed with that is actually kind of a big deal. Dante can shrug off a dozen or so sloths impaling him repeatedly over his entire body, but you don't play off getting jabbed with the sword that erected a 2000 year standing boundary between two planes of existence

Railazel

Well guess Lara is time lord than. :p http://31.media.tumblr.com/fd24d48d46393d4c187dc249dfbd9b3b/tumblr_n8pfc8j5Ta1tgl103o1_1280.jpg

But Claire is actually immune to pain. Any person cutting it's own finger gonna faint from shock. So there is no excuse

Well he didn't had his demonic abilities, so he wakes up when his devil trigger kicks in.

I can't explain away Lara's change in face because she is human but I can explain Dante's changes because he is half- demon.

And, no, she's not immune to pain but she experiences it differently than we do. As far as she is concerned, having her skull opened is a large enough shock to cause fainting but getting her finger cut off might just be a quick tinge of pain.

And he was trying to get up right before Vergil stabs him

Yamato was the sword used by sparda to cleave an entire dimension in half, separating the two parts into the human and demon worlds respectively. Getting stabbed with that is actually kind of a big deal. Dante can shrug off a dozen or so sloths impaling him repeatedly over his entire body, but you don't play off getting jabbed with the sword that erected a 2000 year standing boundary between two planes of existence

As far as it is concerned in that scene, it's just a really sharp sword. Unless Vergil was using its ability when he stabbed Dante, I doubt that it actually matters.

Hm, I don't think it was ever explicitly stated that he opened his business when he was 28, so that scene at the end of DMC3 could take place only a couple of month later, maybe a year after DMC3 or anytime else. And considering that he already wanted to open a shop at the beginning of DMC3, it'd be kinda illogical for him to wait about another 10 years until he finally opens his shop.
So I'd say that this scene was meant to play just shortly after DMC3, meaning that there is no contradiction to him still having his DMC3 face.

The anime should be a non-issue, because his face is similar enough to what it is in the games, and well, because it is an anime. I mean, you wouldn't claim that Dean Winchester for example has the ability to change his face just because he looks different as an anime character.

You forget that his shop got trashed in the beginning of the game. It probably took all those ten years for him to get back in business.

And yes the anime counts because his attitude is different as well.

Sunaka Marién

You forget that his shop got trashed in the beginning of the game. It probably took all those ten years for him to get back in business.

And yes the anime counts because his attitude is different as well.
Nope, didn't forget about his damaged shop, I just arrived at the conclusion that there are property insurances, and considering the entire neighborhood got demolished, I'd say that an insurance would cover the loss.

I wasen't even talking about his attitude, but either way, people's attitude chance, that's only natural; then there is also the thing that some time after DMC1 Trish decided to leave Dante and his shop, so that might have had an impact on Dante's condition aswell.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I can't explain away Lara's change in face because she is human but I can explain Dante's changes because he is half- demon.
Well I can and actually it's much simpler than you think: it's different engine and different models. So it's understandable that they look different.

And, no, she's not immune to pain but she experiences it differently than we do. As far as she is concerned, having her skull opened is a large enough shock to cause fainting but getting her finger cut off might just be a quick tinge of pain.
Um. Getting your arm shredded to pieces isn't "quick tinge of pain". IT's damn medieval torture. So no, she don't sense pain. + she admitted it in the second season.

And he was trying to get up right before Vergil stabs him
...I'm sorry, but so what?

As far as it is concerned in that scene, it's just a really sharp sword. Unless Vergil was using its ability when he stabbed Dante, I doubt that it actually matters.
Well it's demon hunting weapon so it may have pretty painful for his demon genes.

DMC3 ends with him in his shop. So no, it didn't took him years.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Nope, didn't forget about his damaged shop, I just arrived at the conclusion that there are property insurances, and considering the entire neighborhood got demolished, I'd say that an insurance would cover the loss..
head canon has it that dante sells his weapons in between each game in order to repair his shop and feed himself (also that he's either too irresponsible to do it, or too much of a risk for insurance to give him any sort of coverage). There's really nothing to back it up, but I like the theory because then I can pretend that somewhere out in the world there's some rich little girl hosting a tea party with agni and rudra

Reactions: Gel

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Your headcanon is correct.That was confirmed in DMC cd drama and in DMC4 novel.

Hold up a sec. In DMC3, as has been stated, there was probably a different engine used. As for a difference between the ANIME and the VIDEO GAME...seriously, it's kinda obvious as to why. One is a drawing, the other is a computer graphic. BIG DIFFERENCE in look.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
What do you mean, Dante isn't human?! His projection of human nature was handled so WELL! He has some of the most human traits imaginable!

He ate pizza, made incredibly stupid puns, clapped his hands and danced around like a five-year-old, whooped and shouted at everything that mildly amused him, remained one-note and practially incapable of showing emotional variety...how did anyone ever think he wasn't a human? What human doesn't act like Dante?!

Clearly, you people have been spending WAY too much time on gamer forums to know anything about how REAL human beings act.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well he's a videogame character. So I hope you are not implying that VG characters has to act like normal humans. Otherwise it would be pretty much: woke up, brush teeth, eat breakfast, went to work, came from work, kissed his wife/gf, went to bed. Repeat.

WolfOD64

Well he's a videogame character. So I hope you are not implying that VG characters has to act like normal humans. Otherwise it would be pretty much: woke up, brush teeth, eat breakfast, went to work, came from work, kissed his wife/gf, went to bed. Repeat.
There a plenty of video game characters, both inside and outside the Devil May Cry universe, that act far more human than Dante does...which is kind of disappointing, considering the story is trying to hammer the idea that he's a demon that embraces a more human persona than his father or brother.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
There a plenty of video game characters, both inside and outside the Devil May Cry universe, that act far more human than Dante does...which is kind of disappointing, considering the story is trying to hammer the idea that he's a demon that embraces a more human persona than his father or brother.
Well if he was like Gordon Freeman...Actually nevermind, DMC2 already exists.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
i think the anime shows Dante as a really human character
but if that kind of story was in the games it would be kind of boring

WolfOD64

i think the anime shows Dante as a really human character
but if that kind of story was in the games it would be kind of boring
The anime showed Dante to be a little more irritable and lazy. I wish the games would employ that side of him more often.
I also liked how his overflowing debt was still present in Devil May Cry 4. For some reason, I always found that amusing.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Haven't read any of the posts except the main one, I will after I say this

..........HE'S A HALF-DEMON! The reboot version isn't even half human!

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Okay now that Ive read the other posts I have a new response. I always felt Dante looked basically the same in each game. With any differences being a combination of A) His age (DMC1 Dante late twenties, DMC2 Dante early to mid thirties, DMC3 Dante late teens early twenties, DMC4 late twenties to early thirties) and B) Graphic quality.
Also, Dante's a half demon, demon supernatural creature. Sure Superman I can understand, he's an alien. But a paranormal creature, I'm not sure you can explain how his body works. I once asked a few friends "Does Dante age normal? Slowly? Or is he immortal?" Well they tried to think logically (They more or less did it to troll/annoy me) but you can't think scientifically with this. Supernatural creatures, magic isn't meant to work that way

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
The anime showed Dante to be a little more irritable and lazy. I wish the games would employ that side of him more often.
I also liked how his overflowing debt was still present in Devil May Cry 4. For some reason, I always found that amusing.
the way i see it Dante in the games is having allot of fun killing demons so hes more energetic
but in the show there aren't a hole lot of demons for him to fight so he gets bored and lazy

Top Bottom