• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante May Not Be Human

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Haven't read any of the posts except the main one, I will after I say this

..........HE'S A HALF-DEMON! The reboot version isn't even half human!
A half-demon can still fallable and relatable to some degree...not some empty, bland cardboard cut-out of some anime-enthusiast's interpretation of "what is stylish." Character flaws? Non-existent. Development? Completely foreign. Emotional diversity? Nope. Any weaknesses to build any kind of endurance, tension, or reason to care? His Gary-Stu level invincibility and god-tier power level wouldn't allow any of it.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Old Dante had some great moments, but his potential as a character didn't extend past that of some Deviantartist's attempt to make their "dream OC." He's too perfect and invincible to be interesting in the slightest. There's no room for exploration or doing anything remotely interesting. And I wouldn't mind that, if the games took a mindless and nonsenical approach with its story like Suda51 games or the spiritual placeholder Bayonetta...but Devil May Cry as a series has always taken its plot and characters way, way more serious than it needed to be. (Dramatic confrontations in the rain, rising epic choir, melodramatic speeches about dead parents...the gang's all here). And the lackluster story only further grinds itself to a creative halt by tossing a 2-dimensional protagonist like Dante in the spotlight.

WolfOD64

the way i see it Dante in the games is having allot of fun killing demons so hes more energetic
but in the show there aren't a hole lot of demons for him to fight so he gets bored and lazy
That's because he treats it like an actual job in the anime. I guess the party got a little less "cur-RAYZEE" after the nine-millionth demon.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
That's because he treats it like an actual job in the anime. I guess the party got a little less "cur-RAYZEE" after the nine-millionth demon.
ya he did look kind of bored in devil may cry 4
until he saw Nero's devil arm
then he must have thought "well this is interesting"

WolfOD64

ya he did look kind of bored in devil may cry 4
until he saw Nero's devil arm
then he must have thought "well this is interesting"
"Hmm...kid that looks like my brother, has his mindless anger issues and responds identically to Yamato.
...yeah. This might be interesting."

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
"Hmm...kid that looks like my brother, has his mindless anger issues and responds identically to Yamato.
...yeah. This might be interesting."
ya this is basically why i say Nero has to be Vergil's son
even if its confusing how it happened
theirs to many coincidences for him not to be
if Nero is Vergil's son i think its good writing
but if Nero isn't Vergil's son and is just some guy with Sparda's power for unexplained reasons i think it's bad writing

WolfOD64

How do you know he didn't? We don't know anything about Freeman except he's a slinet one :D
That'd be great...just in first person perspective, between shooting things and leveling things with the gravity gun...
PING!
Hmm...tails.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
That'd be great...just in first person perspective, between shooting things and leveling things with the gravity gun...
PING!
Hmm...tails.
lol. Well we never seen his body in between. So who knows what does the Freeman says?

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
A half-demon can still fallable and relatable to some degree...not some empty, bland cardboard cut-out of some anime-enthusiast's interpretation of "what is stylish." Character flaws? Non-existent. Development? Completely foreign. Emotional diversity? Nope. Any weaknesses to build any kind of endurance, tension, or reason to care? His Gary-Stu level invincibility and god-tier power level wouldn't allow any of it.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Old Dante had some great moments, but his potential as a character didn't extend past that of some Deviantartist's attempt to make their "dream OC." He's too perfect and invincible to be interesting in the slightest. There's no room for exploration or doing anything remotely interesting. And I wouldn't mind that, if the games took a mindless and nonsenical approach with its story like Suda51 games or the spiritual placeholder Bayonetta...but Devil May Cry as a series has always taken its plot and characters way, way more serious than it needed to be. (Dramatic confrontations in the rain, rising epic choir, melodramatic speeches about dead parents...the gang's all here). And the lackluster story only further grinds itself to a creative halt by tossing a 2-dimensional protagonist like Dante in the spotlight.
Dude I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the main post. But since you responded to me I'll say this. Devil May Cry was never meant to be taken seriously story wise. Does it have serious moments? Well yeah, but overall it's just cheesy fun.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
Dude I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the main post. But since you responded to me I'll say this. Devil May Cry was never meant to be taken seriously story wise. Does it have serious moments? Well yeah, but overall it's just cheesy fun.
ya that's mainly why i have a hard time liking DmC
it so serious all the time and it wants you to take it seriously
but the story isn't any fun
there are a few fun moments but not enough for me

Top Bottom