• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom going under?

IncarnatedDemon

Honestly...i'd be happy if they went down. It will teach similar companies to stop abusing dlc to leech money out of gamers.
Sadly...if capcom goes down, douchebags of gaming industry will put the blame on gamers or make a bullsh1t excuse that "The market is harder nowdays".

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Honestly...i'd be happy if they went down. It will teach similar companies to stop abusing dlc to leech money out of gamers.
Sadly...if capcom goes down, douchebags of gaming industry will put the blame on gamers or make a bullsh1t excuse that "The market is harder nowdays".

That's not that much of an excuse. It is also the gamers faults. Gamers not buying product, gamers faults. Why? because the game sucks. Game companies fault. The market really isn't the same as it use to. H&S games aren't as popular as they use to be and it will take a while before they are.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
No tears shed... its all their mistakes if they end up like THQ.
I loved THQ and 38 studios. They made my two favorite games of 2012 (Darksiders II and Kingdoms of Amalur).

After seeing them go, I don't even care about Capcom anymore. -_-

IncarnatedDemon

I bought Kingdom of Amaleur for very cheap. When i realized i had bought a game that was published by EA, even though for ridicolous low price ___

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Them too. T_T

Also, Index (Altus' parent company) just filed a friggin' Chapter 11. Why??

No God, not Persona 5!!

Calm down Atlus belongs to SEGA Sammy now so they'll continue to do what they always do.......unless the same thing happens to Sega Sammy and then both Atlus and SEGA are screwed.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Calm down Atlus belongs to SEGA Sammy now so they'll continue to do what they always do.......unless the same thing happens to Sega Sammy and then both Atlus and SEGA are screwed.
If there isn't a Sonic/P4 crossover by the time next year comes to a close... people are going to get brutally beaten.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
While Capcom has made a lot of bad decisions, i don't think they're irredeemable. A lot of the Japanese companies even ones people think are doing great, are just not doing AS great as there western counterparts. Japanese gaming is suffering no matter how many people tend to like there games. They're games are just not appealing to alot of westerners at this point and Japanese gamers are leaning towards Handheld/Cell phone games from what i've read.

Like one other person said in this thread, with a bit of management restructuring, they can get out of this rut. But it won't be easy, especially when the Gamers of today are vastly different from the Gamers of when Japanese games were the fad that are western games now. The market is vastly different now with different tastes, and its no easy task dividing the wheat from that chaff while running a international gaming company with investors breathing down your neck trying to make a profit as fast as possible and with the budget of making a game being almost equal to a big budget movie. Its not as simple as "listening to fans" since fans have no monetary investment to gamble in with a lot of people's jobs on the line.

Dark Drakan

Admin
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128403-Capcom-Europe-Cuts-Half-Its-Staff
Hey, we are completely fine! We just had to fire few people in Europe.

It happens to a lot of companies, part of the corporate restructuring I was referring to that it would be most likely they would do. Lots do it right after a new game has released as they no longer need so many people working on the game after launch, just enough to fulfil patches and DLC. The rest are either moved to new projects or leave to join other teams/development studios. See this as a message that they want to sort the issues and save some cash, sucks for those who have lost their jobs of course however.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Them too. T_T

Also, Index (Altus' parent company) just filed a friggin' Chapter 11. Why??

No God, not Persona 5!!
Yeah, i am sure Sega just bought Atlus to kill their one of most most popular franchise. I would be worried about more niche stuff which Atlus is making and publishing.

Which confirms that they're going to get back on top of this. They're by no means 'going under', I'd say.
Oh, i am not saying they will go down very soon, more like they have to be careful about their next moves. I am sure titles like Monster Hunter will still earn lot money for them.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yeah, i am sure Sega just bought Atlus to kill their one of most most popular franchise. I would be worried about more niche stuff which Atlus is making and publishing.

Oh, i am not saying they will go down very soon, more like they have to be careful about their next moves. I am sure titles like Monster Hunter will still earn lot money for them.

Monster Hunter 4 sold 3 million units in under in month........in Japan only..............before the holiday seasons.

Yeah they'll be fine.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Monster Hunter 4 sold 3 million units in under in month........in Japan only..............before the holiday seasons.

Yeah they'll be fine.
Yes, but i dont think Monster Hunter cost them much money. On the other hand last Resident Evil cost them bunch of money and was disappointment in sales. They cant keep up doing that way forever.

Meh, to that article for suggesting that MGR is a better DMC game than DmC, and I hate to do this, but that guy has zero credibility, I saw him for the longest time on the Steam Boards just spouting anti-DmC **** all the time without owning the game.

Also, for further evidence read his following comment, its just another "I hate Ninja Theory" troll post.

"I, for the record, would rather have no DMC than to see it continue on as the shallow zombie it is in the Ninja Theory reboot. At the very least, I don't think Ninja Theory deserves another crack at the franchise. They proved to me they couldn't handle it when Capcom had to come in and help them out with the gameplay.
If you're going to outsource the franchise, outsource it to some people who actually can replicate the gameplay the franchise is known for. Platinum could do that, so could the Darksiders team.
As far as the DMC2/3/4 team being "sick" of working on it, I'm not sure that's entirely the case. If anything, I'd imagine they were simply frustrated since Capcom rushed DMC4 out the door before it was finished."
Sephzilla

Case Closed, this is how responds in the comments below his "blog" post, obviously he didn't even play DmC.

And if he did, then either he has no understanding of combat engines or is being extremely disingenuous when he implies that DmC was a complete trainwreck in terms of combat mechanics, because its not, its just DMC3 and DMC4 with easier command inputs.

Also, I enjoyed Darksiders 1 & 2, but to suggest that Darksiders 2 had anywhere close to the depth and finesse of combat thats in DmC is just ugh, this guy.

As for the Capcom situation, people are blowing things out of proportion, just because Capcom only has 150 million doesn't mean they don't have the ability to take out loans or sell assets, they're still worth a lot more in terms of net value. Additionally, we have no idea if they have already financed any triple AAA projects, because if they have then they won't have to tap that 150 million until those titles are finished and come out.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Of course someone would pick at the threads, the point of the article is something I agree with, not who wrote it or what they said elsewhere. That CAPCOM have been ignoring their strengths in favour of trying to woo a larger audience by altering their efforts to emulate things that larger audience likes, hasn't exactly worked.

aoshi

First of all, Its an opinion.

Fans don't make the game. They simply play it for what its worth. Developers can't create games solely targeted at the demographic of "fans" but whats best for the franchise and the games. Cuz at some point in time game developers get the idea first, "Fans" jus happen to enjoy for whatever reasons. Can't take him seriously if he thinks "fans" dictate developers.

The shortest way I can word it is that Capcom started making games they thought their audience wanted instead of making games their audiences actually wanted.

Its like expecting fan-projects out of AAA game developers.

Of course someone would pick at the threads, the point of the article is something I agree with, not who wrote it or what they said elsewhere. That CAPCOM have been ignoring their strengths in favour of trying to woo a larger audience by altering their efforts to emulate things that larger audience likes, hasn't exactly worked.
Okay, I just found the article disingenuous and full of hot air, so yeah, I had to comment, the point about not playing to their strengths though, I mean anyone could come to that conclusion about any developer or any entertainment entity that starts to struggle its hardly some brilliant epiphany.

Its like expecting fan-projects out of AAA game developers.

That got me thinking, I'd be willing to believe the idea that developing triple AAA games for the hardcore fans = lots of sales, when I see a Kickstarter for like 10-15 million dollars for a triple AAA hardcore hack and slash, who knows maybe Platinum will do it, I do remember them mentioning the idea of using crowdfunding.

aoshi

That got me thinking, I'd be willing to believe the idea that developing triple AAA games for the hardcore fans = lots of sales, when I see a Kickstarter for like 10-15 million dollars for a triple AAA hardcore hack and slash, who knows maybe Platinum will do it, I do remember them mentioning the idea of using crowdfunding.

I didn't mean in terms of funding but totally basing games of fan's ideas. I mean a game isn't a fan's idea but a creative idea that gets approved for funding and development. But i do agree fan's creative inputs but don't think 'fans' can dictate the next direction unless it gets through a review board and approval from higher-ups who indeed are willing to pay for the development and production cost and that isn't selfish by targeting at demographics.

Top Bottom