• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom going under?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I''m pretty sure you're all aware of Capcom's current state of affairs. They are really struggling and are in danger of going out of business. When they announced how their answer was to focus more on DLC then to me that translated to "We're in the no hope stage."

Even though I give Capcom lots of grief and talk crap about all the stupid things they do, I wouldn't want Capcom to go away. They're responsible for some franchises that will always be near and dear to my heart. Also responsible for ruining some of those said franchises but, I always chose to kept a little bit of hope alive for them and I still will.

Capcom, I love you and hate you at the same time but, even though you may at times p!ss me off pretty bad I wouldn't wish a death sentence. I just would like you to get your sh!t together.

How do you guys feel about this? Would it bum you out a bit if Capcom's demise became a reality?

All that being said, the result of such a thing could be Capcom's IPs going up for grabs.

Dark Drakan

Admin
They have gone down the pecking order of AAA studios but im sure they have made plenty of cash of the years to keep them afloat. Nothing a little corporate restructuring wouldnt remedy anyway, however they need some big selling titles and soon before things start to get bad.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I'd only be bothered for the IPs I like of theirs that might left in limbo or bought up by someone who could ruin them (more). CAPCOM itself is just a word, it's the talent behind it that has been escaping to other places and I think that's the problem.

Yeah I'd be a bit sorry if what CAPCOM "once was" is no more. But I think that's already happened. I don't want them to farm out to Western studios, I want *them* to make games. But if the ethic is gonna be $$$s over creativity/quality, I think they'll just push themselves over that cliff even faster.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Tbh, I'd be really happy if they went under. No more chances to mess up DMC.... no more plot holes etc. (Yup, that's MY opinion).

They have to be in a certain amount of **** if they're releasing Ultimate Street Fighter 4 (or whatever), that just stinks of desperation, in a way (it's an old game and a re-release is totally not needed).

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Tbh, I'd be really happy if they went under. No more chances to mess up DMC.... no more plot holes etc. (Yup, that's MY opinion).

They have to be in a certain amount of **** if they're releasing Ultimate Street Fighter 4 (or whatever), that just stinks of desperation, in a way (it's an old game and a re-release is totally not needed).

When you think about it, they've kinda done that with every Street Fighter game. There's multiple versions of every Street Fighter. It's kind of a tactic that doesn't age well with the times though.

Like I said, Capcom has made me furious. I'm a massive MegaMan fan who's heart hurts every time I think of my little blue bomber. (At least we have Mighty No. 9 though on its way which will is looking very nice.) And also being a big horror fan you can also see why what they did to Resident Evil p!ssed me off.

However like I said, I wouldn't wish a death sentence because whether I like it or not I will still have that little part of me that actually gives a sh!t about Capcom even when maybe I shouldn't.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I mostly really want Capcom to go under, yeah most of it is because I loathe what they've done so far and I want my favorite IPs to get better homes that will do the IPs justice, but I also want their crashing to send a message to other developers & publishers out there not to become the new modern Capcom.

Dominus

I wonder if Capcom went under if they would sell off their franchises (or get bought by Sega? hehehe). There are still a couple good development teams at Capcom so I don't want them to go under by any means, and I actually would like to see what they will do with their next-gen engine..Which looked particular pretty in Deep Down. I wouldn't hold them out yet on the console front if they invested a lot of money in developing their own engine instead of licensing an engine.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
832939_o.gif

If Capcom dies... they die.

aoshi

Yeah right,

1)Dead rising 3 is an xbox one exclusive.
2)Deep down is a Free-2-play game and a PS 4 Exclusive.

If they really are in a financial crisis, they wouldn't be developing exclusive titles(especially to an under-rated console like Xbox one).

As far as quality, Their games had quality. Street fighter 4 used 3-d models opposing to traditional street fighter games.So striving for quality is still there in capcom. The issue was hardware(PS 3 and XBOX) added a lot of cinematics to their hardware but very less functionality. The controllers still have 4 face buttons and 4 trigger buttons. And the next gen consoles still offer the same amount of inputs for the controllers. There can only be finite possibilities of gameplay if the hardware does not extend itself in terms of gameplay than graphics and cinematics. However, the content seems to have been increased. Performance such as speed of gameplay, aiming precision in shooter games are increased compared to previous gen. But no one is bothered about it now, are they?And then there's online/multi-player gaming market which seems to have increased in demand which is not capcom's fault as their titles give value to single-player experience.

Capcom is losing their audience as one side is filled with elitists who want games solely targeted at their demo-graphic and then there are casuals who jus spite capcom for 60 $ they pay and talk financial BS as if they handle capcom accounts.

SEGA couldn't afford Bayonetta 2 and Platinum games/Wii-U are developing it. Now that's terrible state of affairs.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I'm not sure if Capcom is 'going under'. Actually, I think that's nowhere near the truth, since I haven't heard anything from Capcom itself about their state of affairs. The only things I've seen are some articles written by people who most likely want to send a message to Capcom. And most of those articles are rehashes of one or two of the first articles.

I wouldn't care if Capcom went down. They haven't quite been themselves for a long time, probably because so many people left Capcom over the years to form their own studios. I think the guy who created Street Fighter II isn't even part of Capcom anymore - hasn't been since the late nineties or so. They haven't even looked back at the Street Fighter Alpha series. Devil May Cry was changed in a fairly mediocre way, so was Resident Evil. I liked Dragon's Dogma, though; seemed to have more heart than most games (pun intended). Yeah, it's either time to think about restructuring the entire company and possibly renaming it, or it's time to go. Their focus on DLC (even their new strategy) seemed like an antisocial money-grubbing stance to take, so if they go down, I wouldn't be sad at all. Let them form their own companies, let them join other companies, whatever. I'd tell them to follow their dreams rather than the money.

Still, I think they'll survive, since they've changed their company strategy.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I'm not sure if Capcom is 'going under'. Actually, I think that's nowhere near the truth, since I haven't heard anything from Capcom itself about their state of affairs. The only things I've seen are some articles written by people who most likely want to send a message to Capcom. And most of those articles are rehashes of one or two of the first articles.

I wouldn't care if Capcom went down. They haven't quite been themselves for a long time, probably because so many people left Capcom over the years to form their own studios. I think the guy who created Street Fighter II isn't even part of Capcom anymore - hasn't been since the late nineties or so. They haven't even looked back at the Street Fighter Alpha series. Devil May Cry was changed in a fairly mediocre way, so was Resident Evil. I liked Dragon's Dogma, though; seemed to have more heart than most games (pun intended). Yeah, it's either time to think about restructuring the entire company and possibly renaming it, or it's time to go. Their focus on DLC (even their new strategy) seemed like an antisocial money-grubbing stance to take, so if they go down, I wouldn't be sad at all. Let them form their own companies, let them join other companies, whatever. I'd tell them to follow their dreams rather than the money.

Still, I think they'll survive, since they've changed their company strategy.

GregaMan from Capcom-Unity stated that those were just rumors and the data was blown out of proportion. He even said they're perfectly fine.

"Hi G10BK,

We're aware of a lot of the rumors that have been going around, but I want to remind everybody that a lot of the information you've seen from the IR report is taken vastly out of context. That includes details on our finances, our stance on DLC (which, for the record, refers to any piece of content that is downloadable, including full games), and more. Remember that this report is well over one hundred pages of information, all of which is public. We encourage you to check the facts for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Appreciate your support, G10BK, but "getting real" is precisely what it isn't. And a rumor is precisely what it is. We're fine :)"

-GregaMan

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
GregaMan from Capcom-Unity stated that those were just rumors and the data was blown out of proportion. He even said they're perfectly fine.

"Hi G10BK,

We're aware of a lot of the rumors that have been going around, but I want to remind everybody that a lot of the information you've seen from the IR report is taken vastly out of context. That includes details on our finances, our stance on DLC (which, for the record, refers to any piece of content that is downloadable, including full games), and more. Remember that this report is well over one hundred pages of information, all of which is public. We encourage you to check the facts for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Appreciate your support, G10BK, but "getting real" is precisely what it isn't. And a rumor is precisely what it is. We're fine :)"

-GregaMan

Funny, that's the sort of bull my soccer team were coming out with a few months before we went into administration. Rumors have to start somewhere.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Which confirms that they're going to get back on top of this. They're by no means 'going under', I'd say.

Personally Capcom Europe kind of needed this. Out of the all of the Capcom branches it seemed they were runned by butt monkeys. Capcom Japan were run by business suit conglomerates and Capcom USA.........tools mainly.

They rarely did much good for the company as a whole and made things unnecessarily worse (added fire to the DmC fiasco and the whole 'Legends 3 was canned due to lack of fan support' were caused by some dumba$$ at Capcom Europe) and lets not forget the lazy European localization and them not generally giving a damn.

I mean you can have like 5 people working at Capcom Europe it wouldn't change a damn thing.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
All Capcom has to do is make RE7 a cpoy of RE4, make DMC5 a copy of DMC3/4, speed up the combat of street fighter, Make sure Deep Down is good, Do Dragon's Dogma 2, Make sure Sengoku Basara 4 goes smoothly, push their Strifer ryy remake, do another MVC, and get actual good writers or teach those writers how to actually write a good story and good characters, and BOOM, Capcom's back in business.

Top Bottom