• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask the Staff Anything

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Good point. Maybe just censor out Jesus Christ then? My other approach was to drop hints that it's something that bothers me, also asking people to please not slander God's name all over the place hasn't worked. I'm not talking about the mention of God or gods in Devil May Cry, I mean when people say things like God Almighty! or god dammit, or oh my God, etc etc. That's referring directly to my beliefs. I'm not one to go around chastising people for doing this, because it's become so mainstream that people don't even think about what they say or what it implies. I've approached a friend about it, had a good chat about it, a few days later it was straight back to habit so I've got a lot of people on my ignore list, and some of them actually ARE my friends.
I dunno. Maybe I should just quit the forum. Who cares, anyway.

Just to let you know...when I say "God" or "oh my god", I'm not meaning to offend you or blaspheme. I'm...actually kinda yelling at my own gods. *stops to think that over* Sorry if I offended you. =(
No quitting! If you quit, I'll have to drag you back here! :lol: *clings and bribes with cookies*

---

To the almighty staff:
I've got a truckload of cookies here. What should I do with them? :S

Dark Drakan

Admin
Good point. Maybe just censor out Jesus Christ then? My other approach was to drop hints that it's something that bothers me, also asking people to please not slander God's name all over the place hasn't worked. I'm not talking about the mention of God or gods in Devil May Cry, I mean when people say things like God Almighty! or god dammit, or oh my God, etc etc. That's referring directly to my beliefs. I'm not one to go around chastising people for doing this, because it's become so mainstream that people don't even think about what they say or what it implies. I've approached a friend about it, had a good chat about it, a few days later it was straight back to habit so I've got a lot of people on my ignore list, and some of them actually ARE my friends.

What about those who dont believe in any gods and it is simply nothing but another word to them? Its not a slander but a general term that isnt meant to offend anyone to some.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I feel what you do but it's not something that people should quit forums over or even block others or censor those aforementioned words. We're gonna come up against this sort of thing all the time and 99.9% of the time, people are just as Drakan said - not believing or not trying to cause offence but just using what is now considered to be just another word or phrase. And, like you've found with your friend, it's a habit for many people. Yeah it offends me too sometimes but personally I think people are too important to be ignored because they say things that offend me.

I say stuff that offends people all the time and Jesus himself offended plenty in his time too ;) Hell, someone who I used to consider a good friend on another forum has just deleted me from all his contact lists because the forums have a little fish symbol at the bottom of the homepage, both Steve and I are Christians and for some reason it has only bothered him now even though we've been mates for about 5 years and he's KNOWN my beliefs all that time. That actually has really hurt me and it seems utterly unreasonable to me too - much like I imagine it would seem if I blocked or ignored people who said "oh my God" or "Jesus effing Christ!" as a turn of phrase.

Sure, if someone is doing it with the sole purpose to upset you then, as per the rules, that's a ban-worthy offence if it kept going and they didn't back down. Same as if you were of a different religion, no religion, gay, a different race to them etc - we don't accept that sort of thing here for anyone.

tl;dr - salt and light, my friend. Salt and light ;)

Angel General

Cristal, Advisor to Emperor Glaser & sky goddess
I'm glad you mentioned blaspheming, I don't even notice it and I wasn't really aware it offended people that badly, so I apologise if I have. I even thought about posting a thread about religion as it's good discussion point, but decided against it. I can see that it's inconsiderate. I guess I've never taken religion seriously as I'm not religious myself, but now I feel bad about being like this - we should all respect each other's values, regardless of how we feel. If something offends you, just tell us, it's not like we'll get angry with you, we just don't recognise it as a problem any more.
Question: Does omg count? Because I use it all the time. You could always read it as, "Oh my gosh," maybe?

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
My personal feelings are that I don't understand why I should have any need to censor myself over the rules of a religion that I don't follow. I can't really imagine expecting other people to conform their language to my personal beliefs. Then again, I'm kind of an asshole on this subject. :(

This outlook makes perfectly logical sense to me, but I guess it can also be spun as insensitive. Still, I don't think I've ever seen anyone say "god damn" or "jesus christ" with the intention of upsetting anyone. It's more just that they've become very common ways of swearing that don't involve using a 4-letter word. Anyway, it's probably a good thing that I'm not in any position of moderating power so I don't run the risk of letting my own strong beliefs on this subject cause injustice towards anyone of any particular faith.

I guess it's a double-edged sword, since I've been told (rather rudely) that I can't type out the word god without capitalizing it. Did not appreciate that. The other person got a rather angry grammar lesson.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
I guess it's a double-edged sword, since I've been told (rather rudely) that I can't type out the word god without capitalizing it. Did not appreciate that. The other person got a rather angry grammar lesson.
If you are referring to the God of a monotheistic religion than the word "God" is a proper noun and it is grammatically correct to capitalize it.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
If you are referring to the God of a monotheistic religion than the word "God" is a proper noun and it is grammatically correct to capitalize it.
Technically, you're right. :)
But it's name and what it is are the same word, so in most sentences you can get away with either one. Your post is a good example of this. You didn't have to capitalize it if you didn't want to, but neither use was incorrect.

/grammarnazi

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Hello mods it is I, the coolest guy ever! Lol jk :p I have two questions for ya:

Do you get paid to watch the forums or are you helping Steve out (free)?

Do you like this forum? The members and such? (That's your cue to say you(s) enjoy my company cuz I'm so cool) Lol! :p

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Hello mods it is I, the coolest guy ever! Lol jk :p I have two questions for ya:

Do you like this forum? The members and such? (That's your cue to say you(s) enjoy my company cuz I'm so cool) Lol! :p

1: Oh you wouldn't believe all the perks we get. Man, we've got our own private island and everything, where we plot all our evil deeds world domination perhaps I've said too much already...
Nah but seriously though, it's voluntary, I think if I were paid for being a mod I'd have been sacked a while back with how inconsistent my activity has been here lately.

2: Ties in with 1 to be honest, I like the forum enough to have accepted the mod position when it was offered to me all those years back. I was/am happy to have been given the opportunity to give back to and help out a forum that's introduced me to some truly fantastic people, some of which are sadly no longer active, some of which I now know irl as a result of them not living too far away from me.

Dark Drakan

Admin

Yeah as Kyle said we arent paid for doing anything we are simply here because we want to be here & help out any way we can.

Nah I hate you all, many nights I spend wondering why I bother. :p

Can I have my profile name changed to OniLink? ^_^

Sure I have just done it for you.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
How do I post my fanfic from google docs? I've never tried this kind of stuff before and I'm sorry but I'm not too familiar with how it works.:(

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Dear Staff.

I was just wondering if we could have the Devil May Cry Fan Fiction Section broken down into sub-sections? That being for the different genres and styles. Drama, comedy, artistic, poetic. That sort of generalisation.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Dear Staff.

I was just wondering if we could have the Devil May Cry Fan Fiction Section broken down into sub-sections? That being for the different genres and styles. Drama, comedy, artistic, poetic. That sort of generalisation.

Have to see what Steve thinks, I know hes not keen on having too many Sub-Forums around the place as they can make the place seem cluttered. However I guess technically they would help give things some order so have to see what he thinks about it.

How do I post my fanfic from google docs? I've never tried this kind of stuff before and I'm sorry but I'm not too familiar with how it works.:(

Had to do some research on this because ive never used Google Docs before. It should give you a step by step on how to share your work from the actual Google Docs panel & if you will have to convert it (depending on what file type your work is in). Some tips are listed here.

Top Bottom