• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask the Staff Anything

Meg

How does staff know when someone reports a post? Does a police siren blare? Does the screen flash red? Do you use ESP?

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
ESP definitely. You can't be a member of the Staff if you're not in some way super-human. Steve is a famous sorcerer, Angel borrowed her powers from Charmed and DD's a necromancer. As for the mods...secretXD

Reactions: Meg

ZeroLove

Speaking of reporting.
If you want to report a post, what exactly should be written in the report? Just "(username) is breaking (insert rule here)"?

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Re: reporting stuff. If it's serious, report it. Two examples:

Member one: *insert opinion here*
Member two: *insert opposing opinion here*
Member one: *insert trolling/flaming comment here, picking previous poster's comment apart*
Member two: *does the same thing*
Rinse and repeat for about three pages of a thread.

This is an example of something that doesn't necessarily require reporting because it is perfectly possible for the two members to sort it out between them, either via PM's or by simply using the block and ignore functions. There is a risk if you report someone you are arguing with that you can be caught up with it because of your involvement in furthering the row. Having said that, a 3rd party may consider the need to report the argument for the sake of the thread - in which case, the two members in question (or more, if that's the case), usually get in trouble.

An example of when to definitely report:

Member one: *insert calm, chatty post about a game/character/favourite cheese*
Member two: *quoting previous member's post* UR SUCH A FAGGIT AND UR GHEY AND U SHUD DIE! **** YOU!
Member one: Wha...?

tl;dr - the staff are here to help but not babysit. Everyone has the opportunity to think before they post and just because one member doesn't, does not give you the right to fire back at them. It's actually easier to weed out the troublemakers if people don't respond in kind to them. Having a verbal meltdown at each other and then whining to us about the other person just wastes everyone's time because you're both at fault.

If in doubt, contact staff as Tony says. But on the whole, exhaust all possible methods at your disposal when it comes to another member before hitting report. Many people don't use ignore and block because, quite honestly, they prefer the fireworks and like to have the last word in an argument - in which case, we most likely won't respond favourably towards any reporting of the first example shown because it will be obvious you have not used all the facilities available to you.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Dear staff,
ur with ur honey and yur making out wen the phone rigns. U answer it n the voice is "wut r u doing wit my daughter?"
U tell ur girl n she say "my dad is ded".
THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

Meg

Okay, I'm just bad at reporting others, because I never know what to write. It just always makes me sound like a telltale or a snitch.
*pokes head in*

Well, if it helps, everyday sometimes I report a post not because of what is said, but because of what might happen. Like if a flame war looks to a breaking out I report it so the staff knows to keep an eye on it. (Since they can't be everywhere.) That way they can nip it in the bud. Don't know if that's helpful to the staff or if they find it annoying. Either way Imma do it anyway because I liek ze powar!

*runs*

Dark Drakan

Admin
How does staff know when someone reports a post? Does a police siren blare? Does the screen flash red? Do you use ESP?

This signal comes up in my daily weather feed:

banhammer2.jpg

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I assume you mean threads right?

Depends on the thread. On bloody palace they are usually never too old. On Introduction section though, they become old almost immediatelly. For me it's two weeks.

In other places, less active, some months. But in general if it was like half a year before, it's definitely a no-no.

Meg

I’m not trying to be a jerk by posting this, but it’s something I would like the staff to read and consider.

About not being able to edit posts anymore. (I assume it’s because of the people that say stupid things and then edit?)

Look at it this way. It’s very common for people to miss mistakes that are right in front of them because people’s brain auto-correct mistakes because the brain knows what it meant. It’s only until sometime passes that mistakes jump out at people. That’s when you edit because one mistake can throw off the message. I’ve had people in the past get confused by what a poster meant because of one misspelled word and several posts of trying to explain and figure it out followed. It took away from the message and derailed the thread, but it was necessary in order to continue the discussion. That’s going to happen more now that editing is disabled.

The other option is to go over each post with a fine tooth comb before posting, but even then there is a good chance you’ll miss something. Some of the best editors in the world (like meh :cool: ) have to really study, and in some cases print out, their writing before they can spot obvious mistakes. That’s how the brain works.

I have time to post now, but once the semester really gets going I’m not going to have time to sit and go through word after word to make sure everything I post is exactly what I want to say. I do have a life outside of dmc.org (I know it’s crazy! ;)) and soon I won’t have time to spend extra time on each post. Soon I’ll have to just post quickly and come back to it later if I have time. But now I can’t edit to clarify what I mean and if I want to add something I have to wait until someone else posts? The next time I have time to post the conversation could have moved so far beyond what I wanted to add that I now feel left out. That has happened in the past and it’s only going to happen more now that I can’t edit to add that one last thought I had.

Wouldn’t it just be easier to disable editing for the members who write stupid things instead of punishing the whole forums?

Online forums are great because it isn't in real time. You have time to think about what you want to say and write something really special. However, not being in real time is also a curse. If you think of something to add a few hours later (happens to me), but no one has responded yet you just edit. Simple. Now it's more complicated. You can't just edit and have to now wait. What if you don't have time later? What if it takes days to get a response? How long should a person really have to wait just so they can add that one last cool idea they had hours after their initial post?

Perhaps this bothers me so much because I like writing long winded essay-like posts. Maybe it's because I fret over correct grammar and spelling and spotting a mistake makes me "EH GADS!" Or maybe it's because over the years I have barely done anything wrong, but would be punished constantly because of what other people have done and I have since grown tired of it. To the point where I'm wondering what the point is of following rules so closely when I'm going to be punished anyway. Maybe it's a combination of all three. Regardless, not being able to edit posts anymore really messes things up for me. I can tell you right now that dmc.org will be seeing less posts from me. No, I’m not gonna leave as some weird example or some crap. But because I’ve lost the freedom to edit my words I have to spend that extra time on posts to make sure everything is exactly as I want. I don’t have that kind of time. It’s not laziness or stubbornness. It’s the I’m-a-full-time-college-student-and-a-member-of-five-organizations-and-an-officer-for-two-of-them thing. So yeah.

Tr; dr
Not being able to edit posts is not the best course and I won’t be able to post as much anymore because of it.

I hope the staff reconsiders their decision. Thank you for reading. :)

-Meg

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
To be completely honest, I am also for the Edit version.

However, the way it was used by certain members kinda helped them break the rules and yet appear innocent after a while, therefore some kind of measure/punishment had to be taken.

In the future it might re-appear again. No worries.

Top Bottom