• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Change in the Timeline

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
I have a request to whomever still has their strategy for DMC2 for whatever reason, can you look at the synopsis or recap portion at the beginning of the book. I read it like 3-4 yrs ago and don't remember so I wanted to know if it mentioned anything about DMC2 taking place 10 yrs after 1.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I don't know whether to laugh or cry that Capcom put out a video recapping the previous entries but left out DMC2.

Like bruh, it wasn't even worth a single line acknowledging it happened? :'(

BlackAngel

I feel like this is the worst decision for canon.

Dante's attitude in the anime made sense for it to come before DMC4 because he wasn't motivated at the time then by 4 in meeting another family member he gets his motivation back. DMC2 being after everything else as the last entry would've been better because it makes sense that Dante would be more serious in his older age. Now it seems weird that he goes from a frat boy in 3, a cool dude in 1, a lazy schmuck in the anime, deadly serious in 2, and then a back to frat cowboy in 4??

Now it's 3,1,ani, 2, 4, 5. Jesus This hurts my brain.
Dumbest. Timeline. Ever.

Sean Gow

I wouldn’t be surprised if they explain this timeline change by saying ‘the reason Dante was so dark and moody in the anime and DMC2 is because he was trying to come to terms with the fact that he’d killed Vergil.

Bet you a tenner thats the line they try to take

Sean Gow

He was way more talkative in the anime though

Yeah he wasn’t too far off the way he was in DMC1. But he constantly couldn’t be bothered doing anything. Lazing around and stuff.

And then in 2 he was just full blown dark and moody.

I’m not saying that’s what ‘I’ think it is. I’m saying I bet that’s what THEY try and say the change is because of.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
They did the smartest thing ever putting 2 before 4, Infact it give a more fluid connection between dmc 4 and 5 and let you continue Nero and dante story, putting 2 between 4 and 5 would have only broken the timeline for newcomer who want to play dmc story, imagine if someone played dmc for the first time and did it in chronological order they had to play dmc 2 after 4 and in term of story its really poor. ... Also dmc 2 is so uselless could have been and episode of the dmc anime just a simple job for Dante, also there is no reason for Dante being dark and silence in dmc 2, the developer and writer were simply different from the first dmc and decided to give dante a more sirious character and also because it was bad written, they are all serious and without motivation in that game... Also dmc 5 before the nightmare explain in term of story why they put dmc 2 before 4, and it expand dmc 2 story and mitology those saving that game story a bit

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I wouldn’t be surprised if they explain this timeline change by saying ‘the reason Dante was so dark and moody in the anime and DMC2 is because he was trying to come to terms with the fact that he’d killed Vergil.

Bet you a tenner thats the line they try to take
It makes sense and it's probably for the best given how noncommittal they are to resolving it.

Granted i rather they replace Dante with someone else and redo the game that way.

@ef9dante_oSsshea
You could say his depression got worse over time. I suffer from depression over 2 years now and some days are worse than others.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Ya that is true , I suffered with it myself for a few years in my teens , after m dad died and other events

My reaction was to become a hermit at home , only go out to work at my apprenticeship and locked myself up

It passed through luckily

So I may not speak for everyone here , but if you ever need to talk or vent about anything v's patron , then drop me a pm and IL listen

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I feel like all this talk about Dante being depressed is pointless at the end of the day. Dante is the way he is in 2 and the anime simply because of bad writing. He wasn't depressed at all over Vergil at the end of DMC1.

It's why I'm annoyed by those videos on YouTube trying to explain his "depression" and sell that headcanon as facts.

Vergil95

Maybe he was on his man period , or tried to do diy which didn't work out and it put him in a mood
It wasn t it was just bad written and bad gamr, but if we want to look at it and try to give it a significance is that he was probably bored like in the anime to have enemy that doesn't match his ability... Or he was depressed or bad period... But really it was just lezy writing from who ever written this poor game, the developer doesn't want to give a significance to it, they actually think it was cooler to not Let dante talk but they were a bit wrong

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I see it as a "better late than never" type situation. It's not the ideal way to resolve it but it's the best case scenario after them ignoring for so long.

Vergil95

I like that they remembered about it in dmc 5 novel... I think they improved dmc 2 story whit that and also I appreciate Lucia more

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
They wanted to forget even more about DMC 2’s existence. What better way to do it then to move it back further in chronological order and timeline?

As for why Dante was the way he was in 2 could simply be because he was bored and there was nothing that could challenge him. Same reason he sort of takes a backseat in 4 though he’s not so depressive in that one. DMC 5 finally gave Dante a challenge again.

Top Bottom