• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

your top 5 games of each three last generations

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
As I adopted PC gaming from my very early years of gaming life, I wouldn't be able to differentiate between the various gens. So, I'd just go ahead and name some titles that i absolutely adore.

1) Neverwinter Nights: I'm pretty surprised that this was mentioned by only one person. Coming from BioWare, this game is simply fantastic - from story to characters to gameplay - a complete package.

2)Diablo 2: This game! I have no words to describe. This took my plenty of my hours and I played offline. What can I say more, got nostalgic and played it again a couple of months back!

3)Prince of Persia Series: These games were my first kind of hack-n-slash adventure types and I absolutely adore the trilogy. The best in gaming, IMO.

4)Max Payne 2: Oh my! What a fantastic entry. Loved it and enjoyed it thoroughly.

5)Hitman: Blood Money: A total masterpiece. So many ingenious and different ways to kill a contract, huge levels, and the news articles at the end. Just mind-blowing.

6)DMC 4: My first game, marking my entry into the series. Though universally hated but I just can't get enough of it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I just realized I didn't put numbers for each position of my X360/PS3 era list. Whatever, the are still in order, from 1st place to 5th.
The list that follows is about some honorable mentions for said era, and it's not in any particular order. Let's start, shall we?

- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The-Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion-free.jpg

Oh man. Oooooh man. This game came out in 2006 or so, but I didn't have a PC strong enough for it. So I picked up the Xbox version. I looooooved this game. Played a f*ck ton of hours. And just like Fallout 3, never got tired of it, I completed every single quest. There are a number of factors that kept me in front of the TV, but listing them would take too long, so I'll just say that ultimately it was... the atmosphere. And all the lore surrounding the universe.
I know The Elder Scroll's limits, but every time one comes out... I come too. I can't do anything about it.

-
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Batman-Arkham-Asylum-video-games-25464835-1600-1200.jpg

Yup, the game with the most copied combat system ever.
I freaking love Batman. He's so badass. And this is really well portrayed here. Also, the comic book atmosphere is... everywhere. It's literally like a comic ported straight into the videogame medium. Props to Rocksteady. My only problem with this game (and Arkham City too) is... well... the Bat-trunks. So ridiculous, I can barely stand the sight of the Dark Knight badass with trunks. Jeez, so anticlimatic... I'm sticking to the armor dressed Batman, like in Arkham Origins. That looks cool. Anyway, great game.

- Sleeping Dogs

Sleeping-Dogs-wallpaper-in-HD.jpg

At first, I didn't give a damn about this game, labelling it as "just a GTA clone". But it had kung-fu. I couldn't resist, I had to pick it. And goddamn, it was worth it. Awesome reproduction of Hong Kong, awesome combat, nice story. It feels like a Jackie Chan cop movie (which is good for me), just with less humor. It's fun. It really is.
A huge missed opportunity though, the fact that the story is about an undercover cop that infiltrates the Triads, but there is no moral choices or a trust system, a la Splinter Cell: Double Agent. And speaking of Splinter Cell...

- Splinter Cell: Blacklist

SC_BlackList_Hero.jpg

Now, I could easily have put Double Agent here, instead of Blacklist. Cause I like them the same. But I chose this game cause it sealed the return of stealth in the SC saga after SC: Conviction.
The gameplay is pure fun. Yeah you can still go run and gun if you want, but this behavior is not encouraged. Be aware that playing Rambo here doesn't pay. Stealth is always the best option, and the gadgets are very fun to use. The story is engaging too. Let's cut it short: this game's awesome, I liked it to death.
Also, I should mention that I'm a little biased cause the historical Italian voice actor for Sam Fisher, Luca Ward, is back in this game, after he missed in Double Agent and Conviction. I love Luca Ward as an actor, and listening to him again as Sam was a joy, yes yes.

- Prince of Persia

Prince_of_Persia_2008_vg_Box_Art.jpg

Wuuut? THAT Prince of Persia. Yep.
Many hated this game, and I admit it, for good reason. REALLY low difficulty (you literally can't die, no joke!), shorter than its predecessors, and... different Prince.
Yeah this game is for Prince of Persia what DmC is for Devil May Cry: a reboot with new settings, new characters, new universe. This made lots of PoP fans reject he game, and it was supposed to have the same effect on me. Then why is it here, in the honorable mentions? You liked it, Foxtrot? Why?
Well, ironically, just because of the new style. I LOOOOVED it. The Cel-Shading here is beautiful, and the environments in general are amazing, it really looks like an Arabic fairytale brought to life. Kinda like PoP: The Sands of Time, but... in a different way. I surprisingly liked the new Prince too. I don't prefer it over the old Prince by any means, but... yeah.

- DmC: Devil May Cry

header.jpg

Eh.
Ok, it's not the Dante that I love. Ok, it's not the universe and style that I love (I'm actually tired of all these modern day/pseudo-realistic settings), but I can't in all honesty say that I didn't like the game. Once I got rid of the DMC goggles, and finally decided to look at it as a completely new parallel universe (like it's supposed to be), I enjoyed it. Cause yes, it's enjoyable. I had fun with the gameplay, a lot.
However, I can't also deny that combat depth is a step down compared to DMC3 and 4, as well as the general difficulty and the directional controls too. I missed the challenge and the sense of gratifications when I managed to stay in the air for long, or when I managed to pull off a cool looking combo in the old DMCs. That's why this game is not in the Top 5 list.
Anyway, game is good and I would recommend it to any fan of action games.

I know it's a longer list than the PS2 era's honorable mentions, but it's simply because I played more games of the X360/PS3 era, so... hope I didn't bore you guys.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Play Station 1:

1:
NTSC_Resident_Evil_2_Cover.png

My favorite in the franchise, this game scared the hell out of me when I was young, I'll never ever forget meeting the Licker for the first time.

2:
250px-Metal_Gear_Solid_cover_art.png

I never played this until 2013 but still I loved every minute of it even then.

3:
Tomb_Raider_II.png

My Favorite of the franchise, while I think TR3 is the best in the franchise, TR just was the most fun for me, the challenge, the locations and the atmosphere has stuck with me all these years, also that final boss with the dragon scared me as much as Resident Evil 2.
I'm so upset at what the franchise has become now because I can never play this awesome game without being reminded of that abominable reboot :(

4:
Duke_Nukem_-_Time_to_Kill_Coverart.png

What's that? My all time favorite video game character and childhood hero combined with the gameplay of Tomb Raider? SOLD!! I just love this game, even though Duke fans weren't entirely on board about it not being an FPS, I still loved and adored the Duke personality combined with the Tomb Raider gameplay.

5:
Alien_Trilogy.jpg

This game with it's atmosphere....wow. Even though I was armed to the teeth I was still scared to proceed.

Golden PC Era:

1:
Duke_Nukem_3D_Coverart.png

None other than my favorite game of all time and the best FPS ever made.

2:
Doom_cover_art.jpg

Rip and tear!!!

3:
Sin_Box_Front.jpg

Half Life is Overrated!

4:
Quake2box.jpg

Simply badass!!

5:
Shadow_Warrior_Coverart.png

Yeah all my Top 5 Golden Age PC games were First Person Shooters, so what? That was the Golden Age of FPSs before consoles screwed them up.

PlayStation 2:

1:
pochettemgs3s.jpg

I prefer Subsistence over Snake Eater as it has the Behind Character view rather than just Top down.

2:
_-Resident-Evil-4-PS2-_.jpg

2nd Favorite game in the franchise, not only did this game revolutionize the entire industry, but it also did so by still keeping the franchises atmosphere while throwing in a bit of action before Capcom screwed everything up.

3:
Devil_May_Cry_3_boxshot.jpg

The franchises peak and redemption after Devil May Cry 2, I played the raw Japanese Hard version on PS2 and beat it, ate 1 or 2 controllers along the way.

4:
Vice-city-cover.jpg

Still my favorite in the franchise.

5:
Jak_3_Coverart.png

This was the first one in the franchise I played all the way through and loved, I never found fun in playing through the first two.

2nd PC Era:

1:
Aliens_vs._Predator_2_Box_Cover.jpg

One of the best in the Alien and Predator franchises.

2:
260px-Doom3box.jpg

This game caused a bit of a ruckus in the Doom fanbase back then, but I still love it.

3:
Tom_Clancy's_Splinter_Cell_-_Chaos_Theory_Coverart.png

Best in the franchise, no question!

4:
WarcraftIII.jpg

Just loved playing it, was never interested in the rest of the franchise though.

5:
Unreal_Tournament_2004_Coverart.png

One of the last true FPS games.

PS3/360 Era:

1:
Deadrising_boxart.jpg

2:
Ninja_gaiden_sigma_2_usa.PNG

3:
Saints_Row_2_Game_Cover.jpg

4:
Halo_3_final_boxshot.JPG